Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Remember when the internet was inexplicably obsessed with bacon, to the point where just saying the word counted as a hilarious meme? Weird times. It's fine I guess but bacon isn't even really that great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Wasn't that spawned by the whole epic mealtime thing with bacon strips and bacon weaves being added to everything.

Also now I want nachos dammit.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Iirc it was mostly spawned by the pork industry having a glut of pork bellies that they needed to do something with, so they threw as much bacon as possible at internet banter ladz until it became a meme.

There's no reason why the epic man food lol couldn't have been steak, or pork chops, or lamb shank, or sausages, and it almost was cheeseburgers, but that's why it was bacon.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Epic Mealtime was pretty fun at first tbh, but there's only so far you can go with it

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

The Swedish one was better

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The only good cooking show is Ordinary Sausage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6nVI0T8Or8

Prole
Jan 13, 2022

There is too much news. Why is there so much news?! I don't know what to be snarky about first!! This is a nightmare.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Just play video games instead, its the weekend! Getting depressed about impending war and the horrors of politics is for when you want to avoid work during the week.

I slept in and got brought fluffy american pancakes in bed and am now watching the wife play the new Horizon game. She's feeling much better so its a good day!

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

I want new horizon so much but 59.99, jfc

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Guavanaut posted:

There's no reason why the epic man food lol couldn't have been steak

I read this as "epic food man"

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Mebh posted:

I slept in and got brought fluffy american pancakes in bed and am now watching the wife play the new Horizon game. She's feeling much better so its a good day!
That's good news :toot:

Pancakes are another one that could have been epic meme food if it hadn't been bacon.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

forkboy84 posted:

Jayda Fransen & Paul Golding, of Britain First. Or possibly Fransen is formerly. Couple of absolute cunts.

In fairness Fransen - or at least the unquenchable horniness of fash for her - has disrupted and broken up at least 3 fascist groups (post-Griffin BNP, EDL, that EDL offshoot I forget the name of after Robinson left) and is still causing ructions in Britain First. She's certainly done more to break up the far right in the UK than any liberal has managed, although I feel like this might be a bit of a "Well Hitler killed Hitler so is he all bad?" situation.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

goddamnedtwisto posted:

In fairness Fransen - or at least the unquenchable horniness of fash for her - has disrupted and broken up at least 3 fascist groups (post-Griffin BNP, EDL, that EDL offshoot I forget the name of after Robinson left) and is still causing ructions in Britain First. She's certainly done more to break up the far right in the UK than any liberal has managed, although I feel like this might be a bit of a "Well Hitler killed Hitler so is he all bad?" situation.

Fair point. She is a big enough wrecker to fit in the Labour Party

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Dabir posted:

The only good cooking show is Ordinary Sausage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6nVI0T8Or8

Better than listening to Babish, that accent of his needs to be euthanised for the sake of humanity. :commissar:

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

ThomasPaine posted:

Just in case you or anyone else isn't aware - the PS4 version has a free upgrade to the PS5 one.
The PS5 one is currently £17 more on Amazon

Mebh
May 10, 2010

ThomasPaine posted:

That's cheaper than they used to be given inflation. :eng101:
I mean, not that wages have risen to match! But still... :eng99:

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Doesn't she pop up at every single by-election across the country losing her deposit too? I recall seeing her name at the bottom of that one the other week after some MP died. Totally forgotten she existed til I clocked that.
Also laffo when I found out that Golding prick is 5 years younger than me, he looks 10 years older. And he's a twat.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Brexiteers going apeshit because the French are insisting that in order to work in France, UK ski instructors take an exam in French.
Source: Hexx/news/world/1568694/Brexit-news-France-Italy-austria-alps-resorts-ski-snowboard-uk-instructors

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
They should learn Breton, an actual British language disliked by French chauvinists, and demand to take the test in that.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Brexiteers going apeshit because the French are insisting that in order to work in France, UK ski instructors take an exam in French.
Source: Hexx/news/world/1568694/Brexit-news-France-Italy-austria-alps-resorts-ski-snowboard-uk-instructors

I thought being able to use the language would be helpful, not all trainee skiers would speak english. :confused: :ohdear:

Or is this a case of English Exceptionalism?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Immigrants should INTEGRATE and LEARN THE LANGUAGE

No I don't mean us I mean them!

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I found an article warning about this in written 2018, but we can't expect the government to work things out with only 4 years notice.

Also, has the guardian published an article today that leads with a picture that has already been established to be of a neo-nazi paramilitary gang :hitler:

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
doesn't she look cute though with her killing machine :allears:

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
my parents live in france and my mum had been in french lessons provided by the state for like really cheap for i dunno a couple of years

it seemed quite cool cos horrible british ex pat retirees met a bunch of like afghan refugees and largely it all seemed quite positive

but now post brexit they've kicked her and the other brits out for being too good at french

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Goldskull posted:

Doesn't she pop up at every single by-election across the country losing her deposit too? I recall seeing her name at the bottom of that one the other week after some MP died. Totally forgotten she existed til I clocked that.
Also laffo when I found out that Golding prick is 5 years younger than me, he looks 10 years older. And he's a twat.

She stood in Glasgow at the Holyrood elections last year (against Sturgeon) & got 40 something votes. Real popular

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Pretty sure I also saw her name in one of the last two by elections where labour got owned

E: she seems to be standing everywhere in the delusional belief that any day now she's going to find the mythical constituency where the silent majority are going to give her a seat in parliament to spout hateful poo poo.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Feb 19, 2022

Mebh
May 10, 2010

I was constantly impressed when living in Spain how helpful and friendly folk were the second they realised i wasn't a maroon faced screaming gammon. Even when i barely spoke a word of spanish having just moved there. Brits over there are actually the worst I've ever seen and would regularly yell at waiters, snap fingers and were just so... Pink.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
When I lived in Egypt, Egyptians were always pleased when I tried to speak Arabic with them*. As with most people, my listening understanding was somewhat better than my speaking ability so it was funny if someone made a comment assuming I wouldn't understand hahaha.

Egyptian microbus driver in Arabic to passenger next to him: "Where does the crazy foreigner think she's going?"
Crazy foreigner in Arabic to driver: "RmZees inshallah" (Ramsees = main train station, inshallah = 'god willing')

But some of the funniest conversations were where they assumed from my appearance that I was German. So I'd be speaking in crappy Arabic, they would reply in crappy German and neither of us could stop talking in the other language (like an on/off switch that you can't switch off).

*or in the local hardware store when they could couldn't contain their grins as I approached - here comes the evening's cabaret as the crazy foreigner tries to explain what she needs in Arabic (none of them could speak English). Usually a combination of crappy Arabic + pantomime + a few times getting handed a piece of paper and a pencil and the command "draw".
When I needed a neon tester though, I got an Arab friend to phone them and tell them what I needed. Too important for mistakes!

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Feb 19, 2022

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Mebh posted:

I was constantly impressed when living in Spain how helpful and friendly folk were the second they realised i wasn't a maroon faced screaming gammon. Even when i barely spoke a word of spanish having just moved there. Brits over there are actually the worst I've ever seen and would regularly yell at waiters, snap fingers and were just so... Pink.

There are parts of Spain where Germans go which are just as bad. Being gross, rude and sunburnt isn't entirely a brit thing

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

jiggerypokery posted:

There are parts of Spain where Germans go which are just as bad. Being gross, rude and sunburnt isn't entirely a brit thing

Claiming you are "in their spot" on an kilometer-long empty beach

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

jiggerypokery posted:

My Maltese relatives reckon that individual Germans in Malta can be worse ("Like Americans but even louder"), but as a mass the British still have them beat ("How much vomit can one person produce?"). And the Maltese *like* the British (and hate the Germans) for fairly obvious historical reasons.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

gently caress Germans

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
https://twitter.com/paulmasonnews/status/1495081871100846083

Big 'Paul Gascoigne with a crate of lager and a fishing rod' energy from NATO Paul here

Mebh
May 10, 2010

jiggerypokery posted:

For sure. Where I lived, Alicante, was more German, Dutch and French than English as they mostly went to Torrevieja or Benidorm. Still found the brits to be less likely to speak ANY other languages and be offended they couldn't get a chicken tikka masala and match of the day tho.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

As with most people, my listening understanding was somewhat better than my speaking ability so it was funny if someone made a comment assuming I wouldn't understand hahaha.

Man, with my ADHD I am entirely the opposite. My brain has so much trouble with understanding new language and just autocompletes sentences with total garbage.

However I'm really good at pronunciation and learning to speak. So I'd end up with situations constantly where folks thought I was Spanish and would immediately switch to insanely fast chatter and I'd have to go all deer in the headlights and explain "no, speak as if to an idiot, I'm still learning sorry" and they'd still go too fast.

My local pharmacist was the best, he'd constantly ask me how I was doing and test my language each time, then get random old spanish people passing by to ask me questions and try to show different words in different accents.

I miss Spain =(

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I struggle to understand english spoken by people in the place I have lived my entire life so accents really gently caress me up, but similarly I will usually speak in as clear of a voice as I can because I assume everyone else has that problem too.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
The part of Spain where I lived for a while was, I learned, predominantly a German winter second-home resort because under Franco it was developed as a kind of spa for the Luftwaffe in WW2. (Spain was technically neutral, but when the fascist dictator puts his entire country on Berlin time, which is still in effect to this day despite all the problems being out of sync with the sun causes, you get an idea which side he supported.)

My Spanish is terrible, but I found that the mere act of trying to use it sincerely gets you immediate... well, sympathy, I suppose. But that's better than the contempt given to the bellowing beer-bellied "Three-o curve-ate-saz!" I saw.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Payndz posted:

The part of Spain where I lived for a while was, I learned, predominantly a German winter second-home resort because under Franco it was developed as a kind of spa for the Luftwaffe in WW2. (Spain was technically neutral, but when the fascist dictator puts his entire country on Berlin time, which is still in effect to this day despite all the problems being out of sync with the sun causes, you get an idea which side he supported.)

My Spanish is terrible, but I found that the mere act of trying to use it sincerely gets you immediate... well, sympathy, I suppose. But that's better than the contempt given to the bellowing beer-bellied "Three-o curve-ate-saz!" I saw.

My experience is that most people appreciate one trying to use their language. Including the French.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Not the Dutch. They tended to get right offended. "We all speak English you know!" Followed by switching back to Dutch and talking to their friends over you about some poo poo, expensive restaurant they went to.

At that point I'd normally start an argument about how zwarte piet is racist just to spite them.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Just Kramering in to let you know I got in from a 12 hour shift on my feet tonight to a foot spa off Amazon bought my partner and god drat is it great. Crack a beer, light a spliff and get a foot spa goons cos god drat is it a good way to wind down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Jakabite posted:

Just Kramering in to let you know I got in from a 12 hour shift on my feet tonight to a foot spa off Amazon bought my partner and god drat is it great. Crack a beer, light a spliff and get a foot spa goons cos god drat is it a good way to wind down

Jealous! Sounds ace!