Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I still think Tetris DS is better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Super Paper Mario is good.

if you come in here talking poo poo on it, i'll talk poo poo on YOUR FACE

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace

Still true 15 years later.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
Every Paper Mario game is good. Including SPM. Love how ridiculously melodramatic the game is.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

CharlestheHammer posted:

I’ve played it recently and all those are not as big a deal as this forum likes to make them out to be

for real. i replayed paper 64 + ttyd + super recently before plyaing da new switch one. 64's great, ttyd's great and arguably better imo, super is okay...
origami king is real pretty but the 'combat' is one of the worst systems they've done and the writing, while it definitely has its moments, on the whole felt a bit tired

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I kind of liked how SPM was basically a Mario RPG done in the style of a traditional platformer (wouldn’t mind seeing them try something like that again one day honestly)

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Pungry posted:

Every Paper Mario game is good. Including SPM. Love how ridiculously melodramatic the game is.

it owns

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
The best thing about SPM is how you can refuse to save the world, getting a game over and having to watch the long, unskippable opening cutscene again. That was really funny.

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Super Paper Mario had a section where you have to hit three blocks in a certain order and the order is very long as a joke but I wrote it down wrong by accident and had to walk all the way back to the guy who tells you the order and write it down a second time and I will never forgive it for this

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

hatty posted:

They need to bring back the goat

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
I like Super Paper Mario, obviously.

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
Sticker Star is one the worst Mario game’s I’ve ever played. Hardly any of it is fun or engaging.

Color Splash was able to take the Sticker Star mechanics and make it fun… sometimes.

aperfectcirclefan
Nov 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
Maybe DQ11 picks up but I haven't been able to get very far Into it as it's so....generic. maybe around 10 hours into it and then quit.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah it's a Dragon Quest game

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

aperfectcirclefan posted:

Maybe DQ11 picks up but I haven't been able to get very far Into it as it's so....generic. maybe around 10 hours into it and then quit.

It picks up after the time travel, but not by much. You don't even get everybody's favourite openly gay spanish circus performing knight errant in the first ten hours, and then it's another five before you can unlock a non-hideous costume for him

Borderline unplayable until that point imo

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

all the characters in dq11 own. sylvando is probably the best but jade is great too

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

hatty posted:

Tetris DS is/was fantastic. I loved that Metroid mode, with the rotating middle piece. So good.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I'll never play Super Paper Mario not only because it's probably really hard to find unless you do A Crime but also because years of reading on the internet about what the game expects you to do and how the plot is this big sweeping melodramatic betrayal story means it will never live up to my expectations

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I’m so glad you are enjoying the best Tetris game. It’s just perfect.

It needs waaaay more levels. The Lumines on Vita had nearly twice as many stages in 2012. I'd kill for some Tetris Effect DLC.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I didn't like Super Paper Mario. The platforming was terrible, which isn't something that should ever be true in a Super Mario game. There's a sequence where you gotta climb this giant tree and I got real close but made a bad jump and landed all the way at the bottom. And I decided I was done with the game.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

May I suggest you get good?

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Detective No. 27 posted:

I didn't like Super Paper Mario. The platforming was terrible, which isn't something that should ever be true in a Super Mario game. There's a sequence where you gotta climb this giant tree and I got real close but made a bad jump and landed all the way at the bottom. And I decided I was done with the game.

you got owned

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
you don't have to tell strangers your most embarrassing moments, like, if you just never tell anyone it's like it never happened

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Game was bad.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Detective No. 27 posted:

this is making me retroactively mad at ori and the blind forest

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Detective No. 27 posted:

Owned.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I don't like Super Paper Mario since most other people don't like it.

Same reason why I dislike Skyward Sword (the worst Zelda game), Super Mario Party (doesn't have the magic of the Nintendo 64/GameCube entries), or Bayonetta 2 (isn't crafted as much as the first and being designed around witch time makes the game bad).

If consensus is that the game is bad, then it's bad. If I think differently then I'm in the wrong and thus I reevaluate my opinion on it.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

punk rebel ecks posted:

I don't like Super Paper Mario since most other people don't like it.

Same reason why I dislike Skyward Sword (the worst Zelda game), Super Mario Party (doesn't have the magic of the Nintendo 64/GameCube entries), or Bayonetta 2 (isn't crafted as much as the first and being designed around witch time makes the game bad).

If consensus is that the game is bad, then it's bad. If I think differently then I'm in the wrong and thus I reevaluate my opinion on it.

is this a meltdown

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
the game is good actually

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Marx Headroom posted:

It needs waaaay more levels. The Lumines on Vita had nearly twice as many stages in 2012. I'd kill for some Tetris Effect DLC.

Hey, Lumines buddy. :hfive:

DLC for both you cowards!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Snake Maze posted:

Yeah, I’d much rather play Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age and spend 70 hours letting random battles play themselves out automatically in fast forward. Now THAT’S engaging gameplay.

*makes the conscious choice to skip the gameplay*
..... That game wasn't very engaging

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Super Paper Mario is okay but it wastes the player's time a lot and presents it as doing it for a joke, but it's still wasting the player's time. Like having to run on a hamster wheel for five minutes before you can keep playing the game, it's a riff on grinding in JRPGs and such, I get it, but it's still boring and loving stupid. And I feel really bad for the people who didn't realize you were supposed to stop after a while and explore so you could find an item or whatever to progress the story, because then I think it's like fifteen minutes of running on the hamster wheel before you're allowed to play the game again.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Honestly looks great this way
https://twitter.com/Nintendeal/status/1494703000627167237

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

How’s the new Voice of Cards if I mainly enjoyed the storytelling in the first one, and got a bit bored about the combat at the end?

Science_enthusiast
Dec 2, 2018

TECH(no) WOMBLE

The Bloop posted:

*makes the conscious choice to skip the gameplay*
..... That game wasn't very engaging

Engaging with the battles in dq XI feels pretty much the same as them playing themselves, because it requires so little meaningful choice. IMHO (not trying to troll)

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Science_enthusiast posted:

Engaging with the battles in dq XI feels pretty much the same as them playing themselves, because it requires so little meaningful choice

it’s a jrpg, they’re all boring like that

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

This looks incredible.

Science_enthusiast
Dec 2, 2018

TECH(no) WOMBLE

Quantum of Phallus posted:

it’s a jrpg, they’re all boring like that

Smt and mother 3 are the only jrpg battle systems I have actively enjoyed and even then they got boring/ became something I kept playing in spite of.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

tuo posted:

How’s the new Voice of Cards if I mainly enjoyed the storytelling in the first one, and got a bit bored about the combat at the end?

The difficulty curve is really weird. The game is a lot harder overall and gets harder much faster than Isle Dragon does, but it does so in a really tedious way? The first island's story is way overtuned and it felt like I cleared a lot of the bosses by luck more than actual skill, but after that it levels off and isn't so bad. The combat is fundamentally exactly the same, but the characters have more varied skill sets so it's a little more interesting. Encounter rate is also still about 8 times too high too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Science_enthusiast posted:

Smt and mother 3 are the only jrpg battle systems I have actively enjoyed and even then they got boring/ became something I kept playing in spite of.

Try the Mario and Luigi games