Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

Log082 posted:

The weird thing wasn't that it was a lightsail probe

The weird thing was that someone else out there is still stuck with sublight technology like we are instead of all the poo poo flying around Earth breaking physics

"still" is relative(:haw:) here, several of us commented on it already, such a thing would necessarily be ancient in origin, so if whoever built it persisted it's entirely likely they've vastly advanced in the eons since that lil probe was first blasted into interstellar space

if they're among the cadre who cracked whatever it is that make birds go, then by some likelihood they "lapped" the old sublight tech on the way here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

global tetrahedron
Jun 24, 2009

https://www.vice.com/en/article/4admym/scientists-achieve-real-time-communication-with-lucid-dreamers-in-breakthrough

quote:

What’s more, many participants were able to recall the interactions with the researchers after they woke up, with individuals reporting that the prompts sounded like a voiceover narrator or a radio speaker that was clearly coming from outside of their dream.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

no

Riot Bimbo has issued a correction as of 15:42 on Mar 4, 2022

pandy fackler
Jun 2, 2020

my bony fealty posted:

relic of a long-dead civ
the thought of this possibility makes me feel too sad for words

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

I'm piloting the black triangle below and to the left of the moon.

WEH posted:

early 1950s cont

Don't mind me human, I am but a normal rocket doing normal rocket things
Take this with a grain of salt since I obviously don't have anything more than repeating a story I was told.

Back in the 70s, my dad and my uncle worked at Barnes Engineering now part of BF Goodrich's aerospace division. Dad was working on compact, efficient antennas and RF systems that were classified at the time to reduce the weight of satellites, my uncle was doing component testing to make sure things could survive the vibration and g forces of launch. Other people they worked with were developing star trackers and IR sensors for guidance and satellite pointing.

Sometimes, the scientists and engineers got a bit ambitious or creative, and one of the IR sensor guys decided to show off his work by building a small rocket with small motorized fins and an IR sensor on the front. He put a road flare at one end of the parking lot, came back and lit off the rocket, and sure enough the thing tracked the flare and hit it.

I don't think an 8 foot long rocket with proportions like a Redstone missile would be capable of doing what that person described, but military or aerospace people testing something or just loving around always strikes me as a possibility even if it's very unlikely. Just thinking out loud, something slow with a sputtering engine could be something lighter than air with a pulse jet engine?

GWBBQ has issued a correction as of 23:27 on Feb 19, 2022

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

This poo poo is all real and people saying UFOs are a coverup of the weirder truth seem to be more and more correct to me

We know nothing

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

global tetrahedron posted:

https://www.vice.com/en/article/4admym/scientists-achieve-real-time-communication-with-lucid-dreamers-in-breakthrough

quote:

What’s more, many participants were able to recall the interactions with the researchers after they woke up, with individuals reporting that the prompts sounded like a voiceover narrator or a radio speaker that was clearly coming from outside of their dream.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlCrcMeVZHs

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

This poo poo is all real and people saying UFOs are a coverup of the weirder truth seem to be more and more correct to me

We know nothing

ngl my head is gonna lock into a :smuggo: face if any of this becomes widely acknowledged

but also, if true, I will be destroying all my electronics and loving off into the wilderness because nothing good is going to come of the next few years if this stuff ends up being real lol for real if anybody goes "drat riot bimbo was right about all that" after some disclosure moment, please allow me to instruct you to get right with god and leave the major city centers.

i kind of hate it, but me looking back with intense embarassment for this phase of my life in ten years is my best-possible-case outcome for where things are going.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Riot Bimbo posted:

ngl my head is gonna lock into a :smuggo: face if any of this becomes widely acknowledged

but also, if true, I will be destroying all my electronics and loving off into the wilderness because nothing good is going to come of the next few years if this stuff ends up being real lol for real if anybody goes "drat riot bimbo was right about all that" after some disclosure moment, please allow me to instruct you to get right with god and leave the major city centers.

i kind of hate it, but me looking back with intense embarassment for this phase of my life in ten years is my best-possible-case outcome for where things are going.

But the wilderness is where the bigfoots are!

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

pandy fackler posted:

the thought of this possibility makes me feel too sad for words

this is likely all we'll find via exploration, stuff that was left sitting there long after it or its creator have moved on, there have been billions of years for stuff to happen, the vaccum of space is an excellent place to preserve things, and while we can look a long way these days we can only look, and infer

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Riot Bimbo posted:

I need the connections elaborated for me. I am intrigued because I feel like you only give your philosophy/prediction in snippets and I don't really see how the pieces fit together

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Possible bird sighting off the coast of Kauai, Hawaii, on Valentine's Day?

https://twitter.com/nevslin/status/1493638115629563910

The Drive posted:

F-22s Scrambled To Investigate A Mysterious High-Altitude Balloon Off The Coast Of Hawaii (Updated)

Fighters were scrambled by Pacific Air Forces on Monday, February 14, in order to intercept an unmanned balloon floating off the coast of the Hawaiian island of Kauai. U.S. Pacific Air Forces (PACAF) has confirmed the incident but has not released additional details given that the incident is still being investigated.

The Adjudant General of Hawaii, the state’s top-ranking military officer, posted a statement to Twitter saying that “Indo-Pacific Command detected a high-altitude object floating in air in the vicinity of the Hawaiian Islands. In accordance with homeland defense procedures, Pacific Air Forces launched tactical aircraft to intercept and identify the object, visually confirming an unmanned balloon without observable identification markings.” It has not been officially confirmed what type of aircraft or how many were launched, but the only fighters based in Hawaii proper are F-22s. Those jets have the quick-reaction alert mission and are typically scrambled in response to aircraft in distress, unidentified aircraft and even vessels, hijackings, and potential adversary movements in the vicinity of the Hawaiian Islands. Local residents and officials have also stated that F-22 were the aircraft that went to check out the balloon.

Kauai County Councilwoman Felicia Cowen told the Honolulu Star-Advertiser that she heard two booms, both loud enough to shake her house. “I would like to understand what were the powerful explosion sounds that were strong enough to shake my house in Kilauea, Kauai, and what looked like smoke in the sky. Was any object hit and did it explode? If so, what was it, and why?” However, an Air Force spokesperson told the paper on Thursday, February 17, that the “responding aircraft did not destroy the balloon.” The spokesperson continued that the service is “actively monitoring it via joint capabilities and it is under evaluation,” adding that “we don’t have anything else to provide at this time."

Videos posted to the public Facebook group “Kauai Community” show what appears to be a stationary white oblong object in the sky with at least two contrails surrounding it. The accompanying caption states it was filmed from “Princeville Park.” That would seem to refer to a Prince Albert Park in Princeville, found along the northern coast of the island.

Some of the comments on the same post on the Kauai Community Facebook group underscore that the object appeared to remain stationary.

"Someone who works in aviation here on the island received communications that there were F22’s intercepting a UFO. UFO meaning an unidentified flying object to them. I wonder what the fighter pilots saw. It being a STATIONARY object,” one comment reads. "The aviation person told me that the UFO is many miles offshore from Princeville ( ?) over the ocean. It remained in one spot for at least 40 minutes."

“I watched this from Lihue to Kapaa. Two jets flying around and around. And this just stationary not even close to the altitude the jets were,” reads another.

Raven Aerostar, a company that develops cutting-edge balloons that can remain relatively stationary for long periods and have an endurance exceeding 30 days, was operating a balloon to the southeast of Kauai, off Oahu, throughout the day on February 14 and in the week leading up to the event. This is the first time we have seen one of Raven Aerostar's balloons near Hawaii.

The company works with the U.S. military to test balloons as sensor and communications relay platforms. You can read all about these advanced balloons that often get mistaken for UFOs in this past feature of ours on them. It’s unclear if those flights were related at all to the balloon that prompted the F-22 intercept, which appears to have been off the island chain's northern-most main island, Kauai.

The Department of Energy (DOE) and Sandia National Laboratories operate a nearby rocket launch range, the Kauai Test Facility (KTF), at the west end of the island. The KTF is situated on the grounds of the larger Pacific Missile Range Facility (PMRF), which the U.S. military operates and also includes Barking Sands Airport.

An image uploaded to Wikimedia Commons by the DOE in 2013 shows a white balloon being launched from this range. The accompanying caption states that these "weather balloons are equipped with reflectors and locators that allow scientists to track them until they expand and finally pop, at about 12,000 feet. Sandia scientists and technicians at KTF conduct rocket flight test experiments ranging from offensive and defensive weapons testing to atmospheric studies and high tech star gazing.”

It isn't clear if this could be a case of mistaken identity from a balloon released from the Kauai Test Range, but that seems somewhat unlikely. The balloon in question appears to be at a higher altitude than the weather balloons mentioned by the DOE. Still, another balloon of greater performance could have been deployed by the DOE or by another agency causing the mixup, but one would think that would have been explained by now.

Regardless, it points to a much larger issue concerning the use of balloons to collect critical intelligence. There is a deep history of balloons being used to collect intelligence, especially on radar and communications systems. We believe this is going on today in America's critical training areas offshore of the U.S. mainland. This coincides with what is emerging to be a renaissance of sorts when it comes to militaries using balloons as platforms for sensors, communications relays, electronic warfare systems, and even to launch other craft or payloads.

As we mentioned earlier, the Pacific Missile Range's primary installation is located at the northwestern end of Kauai. It is used for some of the U.S. military's most sensitive and advanced testing, especially when it comes to missile defense trials. This includes hosting one of the latest ballistic missile defense radar systems and executing tests for the weapons like the MIM-104 Patriot and SM-6 and others. The Navy describes the range that the base is a part of as "the world's largest instrumented multi-environmental range capable of supporting surface, subsurface, air, and space operations simultaneously." Such an installation would certainly be of extreme interest to America's peer-state adversaries and the presence of a mysterious balloon nearby would provoke a higher response from the military given the critical systems located there as well as the sensitive electromagnetic waveforms some of them emit.

It's also worth noting that normally, F-22s aren't scrambled to intercept weather balloons or other high-flying lighter-than-air craft. The suspicious location of this balloon likely played a factor in the scramble. Another variable that would be interesting to know is what, if any, naval exercises are going on nearby and if there were any tests planned or ongoing at the installation when the balloon showed up. Foreign naval traffic nearby would also be of great interest.

Of course, it's possible that there could be another explanation for all this. The F-22 alert pilots have handheld cameras they would have used to collect intelligence on the exact configuration of the balloon, including its payload. We have reached out to U.S. Navy's Pacific Fleet, the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), and the Pacific Air Forces (PACAF) for confirmation. We received a reply from the FAA stating "We don’t have any reports at this time. If that changes, we’ll get back to you."

We will keep you updated as we get more information.

UPDATE:

Our friend @aircraftspots has provided some additional information on the F-22 scramble. The Raptors scrambled out of Honolulu as PRIMO1 and PRIMO2 at about 3:45 PM local time and headed off to the northwest. They actually popped up on Flightradar24, which is really rare (see below). As you can see, one of them was at over 41,000 feet and descending after investigating the contact north of Kauai. You can see the alert KC-135 at 25,025 feet nearby.

In addition, air traffic control audio has Air Canada flight 519 spotting the balloon on approach to Honolulu. We do not know if this was the Raven Aerostar balloon to the west of Oahu or this unidentified balloon north of Kauai.

A spokesperson for U.S. Pacific Fleet told us they did not have anything to add at this time in response to queries about this balloon incident and could not speak to the Navy's involvement in the response. They advised reaching out to Pacific Air Forces regarding these queries.

The Air Force does NOT want us to meet Radar, and tried to shoot him down. Sad!

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
I’ve asked this before and it might be too personal a question for the comedy forum, but I get impression that riot is a fairly religious person (if not exactly traditionally religious) and/or has had some bad experiences with religion in the past.

edit: want to make it clear I really respect riot’s opinions, because I’m kind of the exact the opposite and gently caress around with Ouija boards/astral projection/seances and whatever other dumb poo poo I can that might invite the bad guys inside my head. Not gonna go into it, I agree from experience that it’s possible. But I like playing with fire and believe this reality is a dumbass game so might as well make it interesting.

Fly Ricky has issued a correction as of 01:17 on Feb 20, 2022

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
https://twitter.com/SETIInstitute/status/1495185304705060864

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

The gently caress is going on

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
SETI might as well be Scientology. L. Ron probably had better ideas.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

The gently caress is going on

:piss:

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

D-Pad posted:

You can find UFOs: Generals, Pilots, and Government Officials Go On The Record as a legal pdf with some googling.

Mellon and Lue are 100% an op, just not in the way we usually mean when we use that word. I don't think they are a sanctioned op with nefarious goals or aimed at conning the public. I think that they and others in their faction, that being the insiders in favor of disclosure, tried their best to get the disclosure ball rolling within the bureaucracy of government and when they hit a brick wall formed a plan to do so by going public.

They are obviously working a coordinated plan. They knew how to avoid the pitfalls that usually happen when some ex-government official starts talking about UFOs and gets regulated to the woo table and only listened to by die-hard UFO people at conventions. Look at how well the original coming out in 2017 was done in such a way to capture the public's attention and imagination, convince the media to take it seriously, and make it not only undeniable by the government but done in such a way they are forced to respond instead of ignore it as usual.

Look at how well they've done at keeping this topic in the news cycle. Just when it dies down as far as the mainstream public is concerned; Lue, Mellon, and the others on their "team" do or release something to get it right back into the zeitgeist. Look at how the topic has slowly but surely evolved at just the right pace over the last 4 years as new questions are raised and information released. Look at the coordination with congressmen and senators on both sides of the isle to take legislative action at appropriate moments. Look at how the question of why the Air Force has been absent on the issue suddenly burst into being with a coordinated media blitz at just the right time after the latest bill was passed.

If you wanted to go about disclosure in a legal and undeniable way you could not do a better job than they have done. And I say this is an op by a disclosure "faction" and not an official government one from the very top because you can see how the faction against disclosure has responded.Particularly you can look at the timeline and details of responses by the Pentagon over the last four years to see this in action. Things like the contradictory statements from the Pentagon about what Lue did, what AATIP did, etc. How stuff released by FOIA to different organizations such as The Black Vault and others gets different redactions or responses despite being requests for the same material at the same time.

It has been fascinating to watch play out from a meta perspective.

This is an excellent post that bears repeating.

I haven't posted this before because it's insane and I didn't want to give it more exposure, but there's been a recent flood of random accounts on social media, especially reddit, pushing this new website and three-hour 'documentary' "Who's Lue?", of which I watched a portion and it comes across like something made by an insane person, even doxxes Lue's family members as part of a massive smear attempt on his character; it was removed from youtube but you can still find it via the guy's website.

Some people out there really don't like our boy :tinylue:, who's gone and done exactly what he said he was going to do when he popped up years ago, all the way to having gotten actual legislation pushed through formalizing the US government's recognition of UAPs as an ongoing phenomenon. Elizondo also retains his security clearances and is currently contracting to an entity that has not been disclosed, which may be government or private; this op that he and Mellon are conducting isn't a two-man show, there's people behind them.

There are people such as John Greenwald, Black Vault FOIA nerd guy, who remain extremely skeptical of Elizondo 'n Pals:

https://twitter.com/blackvaultcom/status/1495064597421649921

A couple years ago I came to this thinking "lol army intelligence guy who worked at GITMO come on"

But then Lue went and actually did everything he said he would, was involved in getting the recognition of and commitment to investigate this phenomenon signed into law, and has been repeatedly vouched for by people across branches and departments of the government. This far at least, he's been legit.

what the gently caress

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Bob Socko posted:

Possible bird sighting off the coast of Kauai, Hawaii, on Valentine's Day?

https://twitter.com/nevslin/status/1493638115629563910

The Air Force does NOT want us to meet Radar, and tried to shoot him down. Sad!

I've been to Kauai. I was there in 1995

While there, I had a strange dream where I met a strange man. His name was Radar. Suddenly I found myself floating in the sky. Airplanes were circling me.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Speaking of Lue, he tweets
https://twitter.com/LueElizondo/status/1495178763507695616?s=20&t=aS9aJVDndlNiAIT4VPM62w

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

more proof for advanced wireless human to machine cognition equipment

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Wheeee posted:

what the gently caress

some people want the mystery to exist forever instead of actually getting answers

pissinthewind
Nov 11, 2021

there've been lots of those "balloon" sightings recently, loving weird.
soon we'll all wake up from our collective coma

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
I just want to say in contrast to Riot Bimbo I believe all aliens are benevolent and I will trust them completely.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

It's just so absurd when you look at everything.

"Why, that's just a weather balloon! No need to worry at all."
*5 seconds later *
"Scramble the loving jets"

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Wheeee posted:

A couple years ago I came to this thinking "lol army intelligence guy who worked at GITMO come on"

But then Lue went and actually did everything he said he would, was involved in getting the recognition of and commitment to investigate this phenomenon signed into law, and has been repeatedly vouched for by people across branches and departments of the government. This far at least, he's been legit.

what the gently caress

Yeah for sure it's perfectly understandable to be sceptical of Lue but as you have pointed out he has been repeatedly vouched for by many different extremely credible people and also walked the walk. I've said it before but after watching enough Lue stuff it is very obvious to me he is a true patriot in the sense that our grandfather's meant the term. He really does believe in America the idea/dream and is unfailingly loyal while also not beholden to the people in charge if they don't meet his standards as stewards of the aforementioned American idea as he believes in it. He really does seem to see what he is doing now as his duty and only option after exhausting all avenues while he was on the inside. In many ways this could only have ever been done by someone like him and Mellon.

And The Black Vault is right to call out some of these inconsistencies. What he hasn't acknowledged though is that when some of those happened Lue came right out and acknowledged his gently caress ups and apologized while correcting the record. They really do seem to be mistakes and if I had to guess it's because they initially hitched the media end of their wagon to Delonge and whatever clowns he hired to make the slides etc.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

no

Riot Bimbo has issued a correction as of 15:42 on Mar 4, 2022

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Perry Mason Jar posted:

I just want to say in contrast to Riot Bimbo I believe all aliens are benevolent and I will trust them completely.

Whereas I, as usual, will let all you early adopters work out the bugs first

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

https://twitter.com/Rainmaker1973/status/1495042992041648131

earth isn't even the best at being Earth

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
How in the gently caress is earth not normalized to 1 on the loving earth-ness scale??

Is it like accounting for the post-Holocene changes?

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Ah rad. I think I am with you there on a lot of them though the implications do not seem to frighten me as much.
Granted I could well be overlooking something scary.

Also can I go live on better earth

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

The Protagonist posted:

How in the gently caress is earth not normalized to 1 on the loving earth-ness scale??

Is it like accounting for the post-Holocene changes?

Orange K stars live longer than Yellow G stars, so that planet will exist for longer than earth

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

:tinylue: critical support for lue in this posters war with the black vault guy, who I also like

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Fly Ricky posted:

I’ve asked this before and it might be too personal a question for the comedy forum, but I get impression that riot is a fairly religious person (if not exactly traditionally religious) and/or has had some bad experiences with religion in the past.

edit: want to make it clear I really respect riot’s opinions, because I’m kind of the exact the opposite and gently caress around with Ouija boards/astral projection/seances and whatever other dumb poo poo I can that might invite the bad guys inside my head. Not gonna go into it, I agree from experience that it’s possible. But I like playing with fire and believe this reality is a dumbass game so might as well make it interesting.

I dunno. almost everyone talks in riddles itt

try remote viewing or astral projection just for fun. no one will believe your experiences anyway

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

neutral milf hotel posted:

I dunno. almost everyone talks in riddles itt

NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY ESCAPED THE GALAXYS MOST DANGEROUS PRISON. I CAN.

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
the one thing I've learned over the years is to not place a hex on the moon, cuz only baby witches do that, and it's not a good thing

oh yeah, and don't try to fight allah in the astral plane. not good either

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
if aliens you wish to see,

answer me these riddles aitee:

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Mola Yam posted:

if aliens you wish to see,

answer me these riddles aitee:

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I so desperately want some sort of tangible evidence that there is more.
I don't care if it's a ufo only I see or a message beamed directly into my mind

The best I've got so far is vague hallucinated colors and sensations. Which is something and I am going to keep digging but man... I need more than this breadcrumb trail

I can take it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Fly Ricky posted:

I am Christian w/ a lot of syncretism because of religious experiences that have more or less convinced me that Christ is worth following and emulating materially and cosmically, gnosticism and other syncretisms because the strict christian cosmology doesnt explain some of what I've run into

I am traumatized by some hypnotic stuff, for sure, but that was for explicitly non-religious purposes; although in a sense it was to fill a gap in myself that religion is better suited to fill; at the time i didnt care if i lived or died and almost fell into a nasty situation because of it

Christianity as culture is absolutely not my thing and not my home. At best i feel tolerated and misunderstood in the average congregation and outright unwelcome in most

Yeah idk i cant blame your laissez faire take on it all; there are game-like elements i agree, but i think in the end, this life could be something wonderful and it's grossly misused and abused as-is so vOv I've decided to care lol