Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

https://www.reddit.com/r/HobbyDrama/comments/q5c2xf/web_media_critical_role_and_orion_acaba_how_to/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Dragonstoned posted:

The only thing he would have brought to the fight was a bunch of mirrors

Literally all the mirrors in Emon

What was the plan for the mirrors anyways? Was he gonna Legend up a way to shine sunlight on Sylas inside the castle or something?

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Robobot posted:

What was the plan for the mirrors anyways? Was he gonna Legend up a way to shine sunlight on Sylas inside the castle or something?

Archimedes death ray

Agaragon
Nov 16, 2018
Yeah, I think Percy originally thought it up but very quickly dismissed it because it was impractical as hell, which is when Tiberius shoved his way in.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Well that’s way less fun. I’m super glad that character was booted because, and I gotta be honest here, I think a highborn dragonkin mage may have pushed this show juuuuuust a bit too nerdy for me.

I like playing table top games. I like cartoons with blood and swearing. I like fantasy settings. But that would have been a bridge too far.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Robobot posted:

Well that’s way less fun. I’m super glad that character was booted because, and I gotta be honest here, I think a highborn dragonkin mage may have pushed this show juuuuuust a bit too nerdy for me.

I like playing table top games. I like cartoons with blood and swearing. I like fantasy settings. But that would have been a bridge too far.

There is potential in playing a son of a politician and trying to find your spot in the world, whether to follow your parent's path or make a path of your own. It was just that the player behind it had Main Character Syndrome. Percy is the son of nobility. Keyleth is basically a young adult fantasy novel protagonist but doesn't drive herself to be the center of attention. Scanlan, whether you like him or not, has more than just jokes and can be incredibly clever in problem-solving. Grog doesn't go too hard on being dumb. Everyone has a chance at the spotlight but Orion loved to just swerve into everyone's lane.

Agaragon posted:

Yeah, I think Percy originally thought it up but very quickly dismissed it because it was impractical as hell, which is when Tiberius shoved his way in.

Case in point was this scenario. Percy tried to wing what was essentially a magnifying glass with the sun that Matt warned would be really hard to do. He made the rolls, failed and accepted the failure. Tiberius suddenly decided "Wait I'll do it too!" and it was more desperate than clever.

There was another scene where Vex had to land a shot on a target and she succeed with a Nat 20 but Tiberius decided to waste a goddamn Telekinesis spell to make sure it hits even when Vex already succeeded and the party pointed that out.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
The character Tiberius in the hands of any other person would have been good. But he wasn't and isn't and here we are.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Dameius posted:

The character Tiberius in the hands of any other person would have been good. But he wasn't and isn't and here we are.

Yeah as it turns out the trick to playing a character who is an rear end in a top hat is to not be an rear end in a top hat yourself

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.
I'm hoping Season 2 gives us the guest stars that have been waiting in the rafters. Out of all of them, I want to see Mary Elizabeth McGlynn's Zahra. I would have said Patrick Rothfuss's Kerrek but he will probably not be for another season .

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

DesertIslandHermit posted:

I'm hoping Season 2 gives us the guest stars that have been waiting in the rafters. Out of all of them, I want to see Mary Elizabeth McGlynn's Zahra. I would have said Patrick Rothfuss's Kerrek but he will probably not be for another season .

I SO want Zahra and Kash, you don’t even know. I can only hope the Vasselheim arc happens in season 2. Please, I NEED it!

Agaragon
Nov 16, 2018

Mywhatacleanturtle posted:

I SO want Zahra and Kash, you don’t even know. I can only hope the Vasselheim arc happens in season 2. Please, I NEED it!

Vax and Hotis just Spider-Man meme point at each other

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Every time Keyleth turns into an animal to fight something I'm thinking that's gotta be the least effective move you got when you can literally summon the elements(?) but also in that one ep with the magical armor guys she crushed a metal helmet in her teeth so it must be hella good actually.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

Pwnstar posted:

Every time Keyleth turns into an animal to fight something I'm thinking that's gotta be the least effective move you got when you can literally summon the elements(?) but also in that one ep with the magical armor guys she crushed a metal helmet in her teeth so it must be hella good actually.

I hope we get (campaign spoilers) Keteor next season.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Pwnstar posted:

Well, two things to keep in mind is that in D&D a) she can cast those big girl spells a limited amount of times and b) when she turns into an animal any damage she takes goes into that animal form's health points, so depending on the situation she needs to do it just to survive in the fray.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Pwnstar posted:

It depends on what you're doing, they're oftennweaker than your best spells, but if you dont wanna cast it can be worthwile. Its significantly more useful for its utility, turn into a bird or a spider or something its super useful

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

There is potential in playing a son of a politician and trying to find your spot in the world, whether to follow your parent's path or make a path of your own.
I mean, it literally is Keyleth's story. There where also some fun beats in C2 where Laura(Vex's) new character made borderline gamebreaking (though in much more minor ways) requests of her mother, with what seemed to be an intent of them being denied, to spur her incredibly naive and sheltered character into grappling with the realities of the world.

Case in point was this scenario. Percy tried to wing what was essentially a magnifying glass with the sun that Matt warned would be really hard to do. He made the rolls, failed and accepted the failure. Tiberius suddenly decided "Wait I'll do it too!" and it was more desperate than clever.
This acceptance of dice failure (and mechanical limitations) was also an ongoing Tiberius/Orion issue, which I still think was what made the fit with the rest of the group doomed. The group's philosophy (I think most frequently espoused by Sam(Scanlan) and gleefuly extended to an absurd degree in C2) is that failure is one of the best parts of D&D and opens up amazing storytelling. Which I think is one of the two factors Hieronymous Alloy misses is his great analysis of why this worked. The omnipresent :xcom: raises stakes but also breaks the generic "introduction->conflict->obstacle->solution->climax->refrareflection" arc that underpins most basic storytelling. The stream captured that to great effect, and I'm mostly happy with how it came into the show as well.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I think overall my reaction is that this is the first legitimately artistically good adaptation of a D&D campaign that I've ever seen, and I've read a lot of books based on D&D campaigns. I think the difference between this and other "this is my campaign, enjoy" fantasy adaptations is an interesting puzzle to dissect precisely because so many adaptations are either failures or the kind of glaring cheap success you get by paying a quarter into a gumball machine.

A few guesses as to why this adaptation works so well:
Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts and perspective! I think you nail a lot of what makes it work (and I'll note that from reviews embracing the stupidity also worked for the crowd that's never tabletopped), but there are three factors I'd add in particular (both of the first two probably fit under "solid writing"):
  • Embracing and including failure/limitation. Holding aside the plot and worldbuilding failures (Pike not saving Vax's kiddofriend from the pilot, Keyleth's repeated overwhelmed freezing), the show incorporates so many mundane failures throughout that apart from Brimscythe, it rarely felt like watching a railroaded journey to a plot necessitated victory or failure. In the tavern brawl alone we have a misfire and narrative explanations for low attack rolls (Vex tripping over Pike, an overeager Grog crushing Percy while trying to save him), and that continues through the climax with failing to snap Vax out of his charmed state ("my love for my sister overcomes the magic" would have been predictable Disney bullshit and also a wholly defensible point, particularly given how the show built their relationship. "I love my brother more than anything and after a brutal fight will resign myself to killing him because my friends and stopping this evil are more important" delivered so much more for plot, tension, and character. As if the writers focused on "what do we need to do to earn Vex committing to the group?" and built from there rather than "how do we create a balanced final combat before restoring the status quo"). The doors are an obvious example and played for laughs but again, no writer, director, or editor in their right minds would have had that as an extended obstacle in the mission to free Archie, nor would they have sacrificed that much empty time that could have gone to building up present-day Anders or the showdown with Percy. But it all served the show, characters, and tone so much better than a traditional story would have. Which feeds to the next point-the writers, editors, and directors weren't in their right minds.

• Creative control for creators: Sam(Scanlan) was on The Friendship Onion (Dominic Monaghan(Archie)'s podcast) and 10ish minutes after where I cued the link (honestly the whole interview merits a listen), talks about the process of getting Legends of Vox Machina made-going to the netflixes of the world, getting laughed out of the room, trying to fund a proof of concept pilot, breaking all the records, and going back to all the platforms who were now begging to distribute it. Thank gently caress that everyone passed initially (and that critters have entirely too much disposable income). So many of the choices made throughout the show were risky (if not outright bad). If Hulu had funded the show, so much would have be different because Pike's power level feels inconsistent, the animators say the bear is hard so he's cut entirely and let's take another look at Keyleth's art because there's two Ds in druid, guys, you know what I'm saying? Instead, the kickstarter gave the cast both gently caress you money and gently caress you confidence*. It showed in the crew choices (Burch writing, Mary Elizabeth McGlynn as vocal director) and in a lot of the story choices. Often good (the little bit of Trinket we did get, timing and pacing of romances, so many little moments that didn't merit screentime on their own but came together for something bigger) and rarely bad (From Matt's comments early, they knew nobody would like Scanlan's rap but insisted on it anyway. Honestly a lot of Scanlan fits here, I think). Overall, it feels different and unique as a D&D/fantasy story because it is unique and the biggest part of that was that people who knew how and why it worked and were intimately familiar with all forms of animation were the ones making the final call. It helps that the cast is seems unusually aware of their failings or shortcomings (Travis(Grog) and Sam talked in a watch party about how overwrought and unproducable their first scripts were. They then... didn't force the writers room into trying to do it or making a limp compromise script? That's a thing execs can avoid doing?), and has gone through adaptions with various levels of control before.
  • Treating the audience as intelligent adults: Looking at my own posts after the first three episodes, this worried the hell out of me. I still think it was a bold choice but it appears to have paid off in spades, and I'd love a poll of viewers to see how much of the underlying mechanics and particulars of magic they caught. The first two episodes alone is an extremely confident "show, don't tell" about Scanlan's illusion magic that requires you to ignore the musical setpiece and focus on the purple smoke transition to see that Scanlan can create a lifelike and impressive illusion of the party even when the real members are hungover slobs... which pays off in the Brimscythe showdown where he does the same for the bedraggled and overmatched party. The "correct" answer is Scanlan telling the party not to worry about their appearance in the throneroom because his song will cast an illusion and they'll look perfect (or to have Vex lay out literally any part of her plan to down the Dragon). To answer "how will the audience know what happened?" with "Don't worry about it. Next scene" repeatedly and be right is stunning. A brief scroll through any popular tviv thread will show how often the mark is missed. How does Pike's magic work? She's holy, it just does. Unless she's tired, or not right with her god. Scanlan? We'll explain that the lute is itself helpful almost halfway through (obvious lie). His voice and the need for it to make noise will be a plot point at the end, but we'll show it throughout. Even the end of season reveal/Season 2 villains are foreshadowed throughout (the rug outside Krieg's fuckroom, seemingly the intruder alarm Keyleth interacts with in the hoard) with minimal handholding and even some misdirection ("Did he say 'we'?" just before Krieg's reveal plays brilliantly on both levels, the initial focus on Krieg's membership in a group drawing all focus away from the existence of a group).
The other absolutely crucial piece (and I can't recall if I posted this ITT or left it in drafts) was the second season order from the jump/kickstarter commitment to the length of the Briarwoods arc. "We'll do whitestone and dragons in S1 and then if we get another season we'll do the rest of the stream" would have been totally defensible and a fine decision, but the pacing would have been hosed and you'd have had a lot of retconning to do in S2 by necessarily flattening out the Briarwoods in that hypothetical S1. Now I'm just hopeful the parties involved are seeing the benefits and they can plan with the promise of a 3rd or even 4th season to free up the pacing and cast arcs.

*: social media and the cast occasionally combine to get the whole team in the fuckbarrel for reasons that vary from legitimate to ludicrous expectations of overinvested fandom to general contrarianism. During one of the more recent session, a comic artist who'd done work for CR in the past noted that after the kickstarter CR staff and cast feels they've surpassed the podcast and livestream world, comparing and competing with Disney or Henson studios, not the Geek & Sundrys or Nerdists of the world. Which is half true, but hey, limitless optimism is kind of a prerequisite for going from home game to eight figure multimedia empire.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Great series. I was curious if they were going to extend the battles a bit, and they certainly did. A pile of crits and walking away would have been 40 seconds of screen time otherwise.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

I think my favorite Critical Failure moment besides the door in Episode 6 was Grog just straight up getting blasted down the stairs right at the start of the Episode 11 fight and getting KO'd. It was funny but man I can relate to loving up so early in a battle.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

I think my favorite Critical Failure moment besides the door in Episode 6 was Grog just straight up getting blasted down the stairs right at the start of the Episode 11 fight and getting KO'd. It was funny but man I can relate to loving up so early in a battle.

Those barbarian moments when you use your endless health pool to save the party from an acid trap but roll low initiative in the next battle and get one-shot before you can rage to protect yourself.

I also just realized that Grog closing his eyes vs. Sylas was a take on Reckless attacks.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

i watched all of this and it was ok. it's kinda weird how mega cliche the cast feels but i guess somethin based off a dnd podcast is gonna be like that.

scanlon loving sucks dog rear end though ffs he is genuinely awful and actively makes every scene he is in worse

grog kinda sucks too but mostly because he's like, too generic? he has literally nothin goin for him besides like default idiot barbarian stuff. it's not like the rest of the cast except percy isn't cliche but grog is like, totally spiceless in every regard.

hopefully s2 adds some spice there and lets the chars breathe more

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Pwnstar posted:

Most Druids are terrible at dealing physical damage and rely on their spells to get by. Keyleth took Circle of the Moon at 3rd level, which bumps up her shapeshifting progression by giving her access to more powerful animal forms way, way faster. One's not strictly better than the other, but it gives her options.

Sometimes she shoots lightning, sometimes she turns into a mountain lion and wrecks house.

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

AngryBooch posted:

Those barbarian moments when you use your endless health pool to save the party from an acid trap but roll low initiative in the next battle and get one-shot before you can rage to protect yourself.

I also just realized that Grog closing his eyes vs. Sylas was a take on Reckless attacks.

It was actually a fighting technique Travis tried as Grog. Travis as Grog knew that he needed to make eye contact for the charm so he just started swinging wildly with his eyes closed. I don't remember offhand but I suspect Travis used reckless to counteract the disadvantage on each attack, making it a flat roll. So it represented both reckless attack and what Grog did in the game.

Government Handjob
Nov 1, 2004

Gudbrandsglasnost
College Slice

Fereydun posted:

hopefully s2 adds some spice

I'm pretty sure it will.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Paracaidas posted:

This acceptance of dice failure (and mechanical limitations) was also an ongoing Tiberius/Orion issue, which I still think was what made the fit with the rest of the group doomed. The group's philosophy (I think most frequently espoused by Sam(Scanlan) and gleefuly extended to an absurd degree in C2) is that failure is one of the best parts of D&D and opens up amazing storytelling. Which I think is one of the two factors Hieronymous Alloy misses is his great analysis of why this worked. The omnipresent :xcom: raises stakes but also breaks the generic "introduction->conflict->obstacle->solution->climax->refrareflection" arc that underpins most basic storytelling. The stream captured that to great effect, and I'm mostly happy with how it came into the show as well.

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts and perspective! I think you nail a lot of what makes it work (and I'll note that from reviews embracing the stupidity also worked for the crowd that's never tabletopped), but there are three factors I'd add in particular (both of the first two probably fit under "solid writing"):
  • Embracing and including failure/limitation.

• Creative control for creators:
  • Treating the audience as intelligent adults:
The other absolutely crucial piece (and I can't recall if I posted this ITT or left it in drafts) was the second season order from the jump/kickstarter commitment to the length of the Briarwoods arc. "We'll do whitestone and dragons in S1 and then if we get another season we'll do the rest of the stream" would have been totally defensible and a fine decision, but the pacing would have been hosed and you'd have had a lot of retconning to do in S2 by necessarily flattening out the Briarwoods in that hypothetical S1. Now I'm just hopeful the parties involved are seeing the benefits and they can plan with the promise of a 3rd or even 4th season to free up the pacing and cast arcs.

Yeah, acceptance of failures and staying relatively true to the stream in spirit and not just detail was definitely a big part of it. I wonder if part of this was just that the streaming format meant they'd taken better notes than most people turning their D&D campaigns into stories. You tend not to remember the failure points but they definitely add necessary strength to the story.

Creative control is an interesting puzzle. I did see in one of the streams that they talked about how their first drafts weren't workable and they had a lot of valuable help turning their scripts into viewable shows. So being willing to do second, third, etc drafts and being willing to cede creative control when they knew that was the right thing to do seems like it was part of it too. They didn't all try to draw their own characters and they brought in professional script writers as needed.

Fereydun posted:

i watched all of this and it was ok. it's kinda weird how mega cliche the cast feels but i guess somethin based off a dnd podcast is gonna be like that.

On the other hand this is all true too. Like, the characters are a little deeper and more complicated than the five teenagers in the Dungeons and Dragons tv cartoon from the 1980s, but not THAT much more. They're mostly broad generic types; dumb barbarian, wise-cracking horny bard, naive and self-doubting elf druid, etc. (the most original is basically "hamlet, but with a gun"). On the one hand that gives the audience an easy introduction to the characters, though, so it's not all bad. It's very easy to feel like you know the people at the table because they're playing broad character types that you've probably played yourself or had someone else play across the table from you at some point in the past.

Long and short of it I think is that their goal seems to have been communicating what a good D&D session feels like, more than telling a specific story or communicating a specific character. It doesn't have to be the most original thing in the world and it isn't trying to be; it's fun and it feels like friendship.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Feb 20, 2022

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

I just want this show to be successful enough that we eventually get a Legend of the Mighty Nein show.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Hulk Smash! posted:

I just want this show to be successful enough that we eventually get a Legend of the Mighty Nein show.

Weird thing for me is, I watched like. . . five or six episodes ? of Campaign 2. Long enough for them to pick their party name, anyway. And it just didn't grab me at all. Campaign 1, the little I've watched, had a sort of endearing raw charm, and campaign 3 seems firing on all cylinders, but my main takeaway from what I watched of 2 was "holy poo poo they're spending a lot of money on miniatures."

I kinda enjoyed that they used a stand-in mini for The Nightmare King in C3, it was a little less overwhelming with the production values.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Here's a dumb hypothetical for you to pass time:

If you were to pick a cast of a new CR animated show from the PCs from all three campaigns, who would you pick? Since this is presumably an animation, you can pick multiple characters from the same player.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Weird thing for me is, I watched like. . . five or six episodes ? of Campaign 2. Long enough for them to pick their party name, anyway. And it just didn't grab me at all. Campaign 1, the little I've watched, had a sort of endearing raw charm, and campaign 3 seems firing on all cylinders, but my main takeaway from what I watched of 2 was "holy poo poo they're spending a lot of money on miniatures."

I kinda enjoyed that they used a stand-in mini for The Nightmare King in C3, it was a little less overwhelming with the production values.

I thought C2 had a slow start, as well. I am told it gets more interesting later on.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I'm different, I think C2 grabbed me far more from the start, and felt more like organic.

These people who got brought together in C2 like didn't have near the like instant friends vibe that C3, it felt like their coalescing as a group of friends was more natural and earned. C2 also felt like far more player driven early on to me than C3 has. C2 also turns it up big after a major plot event.

C3 has probably more fun characters, which is nice, but yeah the Nein are probably my favorite character work from them of the 3 seasons so far.

C3 might grab me more when it finally opens up. It feels like we've been stuck in a tutorial area forever.

I think C2 would probably make for the best animated TV show, as it feels way more like structured with it's plot beats that come up like one.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Megazver posted:

If you were to pick a cast of a new CR animated show from the PCs from all three campaigns, who would you pick? Since this is presumably an animation, you can pick multiple characters from the same player.

Honestly you could boil it down to Jester and Nott the Brave* and just rotate anybody else in and out for me.

One of the funniest things Sam ever said was "Oh, there's no comma."

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

Megazver posted:

I've seen all of C1 and C3 but only a bit of C2. I'd want full-on chaotic crew. Grog, Scanlan, Fearne, Laudna, Jester and Nott. If we can count EXU, I want Dariax. He was my favorite kind of Chaotic Neutral. Not really a selfish rear end in a top hat, just a guy that loves to get into mischief and reassure the party it will be fine.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Megazver posted:

In that case, why would I restrict myself to just Critical Role?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Speaking of I'm genuinely surprised there isn't more CR vs TAZ fanart around.

Government Handjob
Nov 1, 2004

Gudbrandsglasnost
College Slice
I've said it before and I'll say it again (and again and again)

I need Laura Bailey, Beth May (Dungeons and Daddies) and Emily Axford (Not Another DnD Podcast) to sit at the same table at some point.

Imagine the chaos.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Throw Alex Lee from Dragon Friends in there.

wokow6
Oct 19, 2013
See the thing is, I don't think people realize how much things can become a slog if everyone is chaotic. Having a voice of reason or straightman character is really important, not only cause it allows some or cohesion to avoid going full "lol random", but it makes the chaotic and funny parts land harder when there's someone there to react to the absurdity.

I've played in a number of full chaotic parties before... They don't tend to be that fun, at least not for long.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

wokow6 posted:

I've played in a number of full chaotic parties before... They don't tend to be that fun, at least not for long.

See also doing an "all villain" campaign where everyone is a lazy parody of a serial killer and the plot has no momentum because the players are too busy looking for orphanages to burn down

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

wokow6 posted:

See the thing is, I don't think people realize how much things can become a slog if everyone is chaotic. Having a voice of reason or straightman character is really important, not only cause it allows some or cohesion to avoid going full "lol random", but it makes the chaotic and funny parts land harder when there's someone there to react to the absurdity.

The straightman would probably be Orym or Fjord. Fjord tries to teach. Orym is like a tired dad.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Fereydun posted:

scanlon loving sucks dog rear end though ffs he is genuinely awful and actively makes every scene he is in worse

grog kinda sucks too but mostly because he's like, too generic? he has literally nothin goin for him besides like default idiot barbarian stuff. it's not like the rest of the cast except percy isn't cliche but grog is like, totally spiceless in every regard.

hopefully s2 adds some spice there and lets the chars breathe more

Yeah, Scanlan is the joker of the group, and he has moments every so often. But, in this series he's almost ALWAYS doing goofy poo poo, which was too much.

Grog, while not bright, had more wisdom, so he was always doing great things in a dumb way. He wasn't nearly as brain dead as he has been in this show. He really shined in a lot of moments throughout.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Government Handjob posted:

I'm pretty sure it will.

Spice? It'll have some spice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Push El Burrito posted:

Spice? It'll have some spice?