Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
the settlements in this game are so loving sick. stumbled across a tenakth settlement and its built on an old solar array

also have not figured out if im able to ride the robo triceratops. please guerilla give me this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables

ChrisBTY posted:

What's the word on PS4 performance? It's not another Cyberpunk is it?

I was worried about this myself but so far the game is running fine on my PS4 slim. And it looks loving fantastic - arguably better than maxed out HZD on PC if you ignore the resolution difference.

I’m really happy they leaned into the Zelda comparisons instead of knee jerk trying to avoid them. Love me some pushing boxes around.

And the new vantage point puzzles are wonderful so far (although I’ve only done one).

I am a little overwhelmed by the massive upgrade point system though. They pulled out all the quality of life upgrades and gave them to you by default - which is great - but it feels like a lot of the upgrades you need to work towards are potential regret baits like Strike from Above or whatever from HZD.

Eg: On Demand Stealth sounds awesome on paper but if it ends up being effectively just a better rock or whistle for setting up stealth kills I’m going to be very sad I blew points on useless poo poo like “more effective tear arrows from stealth” to unlock it.

Hopefully you can respec at some point.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I’m now just pushing as far west as I can without getting mauled by a t-Rex or something in search of merchants. I need to find a Tidderipper, whatever that may be, in order to buy a dang bow. I’m guessing I gotta reach the coast, maybe?

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Feb 20, 2022

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
lmao I waited all day for my late delivery of the game, got the notif that it had been delivered aaaaand there was jack poo poo in my locked mailbox, which means the postman probably put it in a neighbor's box. I saw the truck leave so I know it's not just marking it delivered early.

Anyway I went to Target because gently caress it. Finally gonna hunt me some robots.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Apraxin posted:

Question for after the Dying Lands and interlude - Aloy says 'well, next i could go to (marker to advance the plot) now, or I could go back east to Plainsong and see how they're doing after the attack'. I fast travelled back there, and it's suddenly devoid of life; the fields around it are still filled with NPCs, but in the settlement itself there's three merchants and two side-quest givers standing in an otherwise empty town. Aloy has no commentary on it. Is that... meant to be the case? Did I have a cutscene not play or something?

I had the same thing happen but the town came back to life eventually, pretty sure it's a bug.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Just finished Deaths Door and drat Varl works fast lol

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Guy's been simping for Aloy a whole year without anything to show for it, let the man have his W.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

ChrisBTY posted:

What's the word on PS4 performance? It's not another Cyberpunk is it?

No it's really good. I'm playing on a 27" 1080 monitor though. just beautiful

looks too lovely on my 4k tv. If I ever find a PS5 maybe one day

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I’m now just pushing as far west as I can without getting mauled by a t-Rex or something in search of merchants. I need to find a Tidderipper, whatever that may be, in order to buy a dang bow. I’m guessing I gotta reach the coast, maybe?

I just did a sidequest in early Tenakth lands that gave me a really good purple armor so I'm not even sure how much this strategy is worth it.

HampHamp
Oct 30, 2006
Yeah this game has, by a significant margin, the best side quests ever put in to an open world game. Its firing on all cylinders now, and I feel like I've barely scratched the surface. I keep doing cool story stuff, then checking my journal and realising its a fuckin rebel camp or something.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

HampHamp posted:

Yeah this game has, by a significant margin, the best side quests ever put in to an open world game. Its firing on all cylinders now, and I feel like I've barely scratched the surface. I keep doing cool story stuff, then checking my journal and realising its a fuckin rebel camp or something.

Except for that guy who wanted a drat frying pan or whatever 10 levels ago, he's gonna be waiting for a long time

HampHamp
Oct 30, 2006

Captain Hygiene posted:

Except for that guy who wanted a drat frying pan or whatever 10 levels ago, he's gonna be waiting for a long time

I liked that guy!

Also forgot to mention that returning to old settlements etc after doing story quests can give new dialogue with people. Really nice attention to detail. Apart from some technical hiccups and aloy being a bit iffy to control sometimes, they really knocked it out of the park with this. I'm still quite early on, so all this could change!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

exquisite tea posted:

I just did a sidequest in early Tenakth lands that gave me a really good purple armor so I'm not even sure how much this strategy is worth it.

I found a really good rare Hunter Bow pretty far west (in Thornmarsh by the coast. 15% crit chance, 40% crit damage, 15% overdraw, 3 ammo types. Nothing harder than a bellowback to get to level 3 and roller back parts to max it out. There’s an even harder hitting very rare bow (and a ton of very rare stuff like rope casters) also available in this merchant and the parts are relatively attainable early on for some of these.

Plus you get to see the west side of the map which is gorgeous. I’ve been neglecting the armor a lot. Which side quest did you do for the one you mentioned?

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Feb 20, 2022

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Do you eventually get weapons with all the available ammo types on them because having to keep a bunch of different versions of each weapon around sucks

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
This game sounds cool but I've never actually played HZD. Is the original manageable on PC?

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

shirts and skins posted:

This game sounds cool but I've never actually played HZD. Is the original manageable on PC?

It's very good on pc. Just did another playthrough a few weeks ago.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

shirts and skins posted:

Definitely do it, this is not a game you want to do without playing the first one.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

Do you eventually get weapons with all the available ammo types on them because having to keep a bunch of different versions of each weapon around sucks

You are not goimg to get a weapon that has all ammo types. Different weapons specialize is different things so having two Hunter bows around isn't bad if one boost a element and the other has better tear.

Also You may want to upgrade stuff you are not using since if you unlock a locked weave slot with a passive you can equip that passive on another item.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Thank you both!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

ImpAtom posted:

You are not goimg to get a weapon that has all ammo types. Different weapons specialize is different things so having two Hunter bows around isn't bad if one boost a element and the other has better tear.

Also You may want to upgrade stuff you are not using since if you unlock a locked weave slot with a passive you can equip that passive on another item.

That sucks, weapon management was already a pain in the first one, now there's twice as many weapons and ammo types. Or like 50% more at least.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Lakbay posted:

I had the same thing happen but the town came back to life eventually, pretty sure it's a bug.
Thanks, I closed and reopened the game and that fixed it. Was gonna be mad if I lost access to the only Dyer I’d unlocked.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Sakurazuka posted:

That sucks, weapon management was already a pain in the first one, now there's twice as many weapons and ammo types. Or like 50% more at least.

with the way coils work you really don’t want a one-gun-for-all. It’s a lot easier better to tailor each gun to do 1-2 things at most with coils. you have 6 weapon slots in the wheel, you can cover A TON of ground in terms of elements and utility.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
I feel like I'm missing a lot of datapoints out in the wild. The ones I do stumble across though, holy poo poo (No Man's Land spoiler - The FAE not going off and the Black Box about how they should have died in the crash).

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Trying to talk to the Stitcher in Chainscrape and no prompt pops up. Is it a bug?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

zakharov posted:

Trying to talk to the Stitcher in Chainscrape and no prompt pops up. Is it a bug?

Nah, just play a bit further and you'll get a merchant unlock notification

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

zakharov posted:

Progress the story a bit. The whistle has to blow first.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

https://twitter.com/BusterH17/status/1495185553565925380?s=20&t=OMq3doa3mGemdiS-Wr7LzA

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

zakharov posted:

You’re asking them to scab their union. There’s a work stoppage!

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

You’re asking them to scab their union. There’s a work stoppage!

Dude could at least say something sheesh

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
if anyone else is as tired as i am of hitting focus while out and about, you can go into settings > visual and turn climbing annotations to always on. then head over to settings > general and change hud visibility to custom, go into the custom hud settings and turn interaction markers to always on

i like the music a lot too

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Should I hold out for purple weapons or get the blue weapons in the meantime

Impressions so far: game is ridiculously beautiful on a ps4 slim

Game has occasional stutter and performance issues, texture pop in, etc

Map is loving ridiculously slow to load

Press to focus constantly is way dumb and I’m glad there’s an option to fix it, but they should make it more obvious

Tribal conflict stuff is dumb, the new tribes are even dumber looking, but the sci-fi back story stuff is super engaging. Same as the previous game!

Diving is super cool but I wish camera/direction control was better

Waaaaay too much extraneous dialogue. Same as first game!

The new monsters are great and I love that it took me a while to figure out their behavior

I am somewhat overwhelmed by the new attacks Aloy has and don’t bother with them because it’s hard to remember in the middle of fighting

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Feb 20, 2022

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
This is a small, dumb thing to be annoyed by, but is there no way to get rid of the rock/potions/etc icon in the lower left of the screen? I like a minimal HUD and as far as I can tell, setting Tools and Potions to dynamic has the same result as setting it to always on.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Absolutely love this game so far but I sure wish Aloy didn't talk under hor breath literally all the time.it is often so hard to pick up what she is saying.

The voice actor is one of my favorites and I just don’t get why they made her talk like this.

I’ve spent way too much time in the starting area, probably need to move on, it’s just too good. I can’t believe I’m saying this but I might have to finish this before starting Elden Ring.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Pretty sure there's no "just go to meridian to get purples" equivalent in this one. Just upgrade what you like to use when you can and work your way up. You start feeling pretty strong once you're in the blues.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

This is wild.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Is there any way to just loot all the things I blow off a robot at once? I don't mean the autoloot thing where you just get all the parts even if you didn't blow them off -- I like the idea of having to hunt the robots and shoot their horns off if I want to collect their horns. I'm just going a little nuts with every 2-minute battle requiring 5 minutes of running around clicking on all the parts and containers and corpses that end up scattered everywhere.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Man, Death's Door :stare: :wtf:

I figured the game would take a while to ease us into the new plot and environment before getting into the crazy poo poo, but nope, we're diving right into this.

Lord Hydronium fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Feb 20, 2022

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
just did cradle of echoes and this poo poo just keeps getting more wild

i love sylens. aloy's trying to piece together gaia and he's out there making sure the ancient capitalists get merced. friendship with sylens: reformed

so the carrie anne moss acted far zenith woman is definitely elisabets old friend from that one voice note, still alive, still doing evil poo poo.

oh and personal pet theory time: the zeniths aren't here to kill earth, and take it over. they want to go back to their evil billionaires planet but they need the high end terraforming abilities of gaia to make it inhabitable again. they unhooked hades originally bc they thought they were dealing with an earth slowly repopulating WITH apollo's knowledge. they couldn't take that on but if they nuked the terraforming system from afar, they could swoop down and grab gaia from a broken planet. of course now everythings a mess for them and they're just trying to grab gaia and gtfo.

im gonna switch back over to side quests now bc god i need some purp armor/weapons badly and i miss playing not gwent and hanging out with the people.

Relentlessboredomm fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Feb 20, 2022

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
This game is incredible and what I wanted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

I'm just up to Establishing the Base and I'm super stoked that not only are Aloy's Lonely Hearts Club still following her around, they're not letting her off the hook for ditching them. EMOTIONAL DAMAGE