Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

apophenium posted:

Why is finishing Akagi such a feat? Just super long?

Akagi is already proving to be an interesting counterpoint to Kaiji. Where Kaiji believes in the goodness of other people Akagi (at least by ch17) is basically a sociopath who gambles for the thrill.

Anyways, Fukumoto is good as hell and I'm glad I randomly clicked on this thread.

One of the matches ends up being fairly lengthy for a single game of mahjong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

Just checked and Kaiji chapter 1 is set in 1996.
I think time is fluid in FKMT world, enabling everyone to think up elaborate strategies, psychoanalyze themselves and others, and visualize melodramatic imagery without holding everyone else up.

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

i hope kaiji and his friends meet granny mone and they have a nice slice of life arc that confuses all the neighbors

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
:smith:

archduke.iago
Mar 1, 2011

Nostalgia used to be so much better.

Question about the most recent arc: I don't get Endou's current position, shouldn't he be super loaded from all the money he took from Kaiji after the Bog arc? The interest he charged for the final loan didn't go to paying off debtors, it went straight to him. So why is he still slaving away for Teiai?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

archduke.iago posted:

Question about the most recent arc: I don't get Endou's current position, shouldn't he be super loaded from all the money he took from Kaiji after the Bog arc? The interest he charged for the final loan didn't go to paying off debtors, it went straight to him. So why is he still slaving away for Teiai?

Cause he took the money from Teiai, and is also super terrified of them. He probably gave a good chunk of the money back to get back in their good graces, and show what a loyal soldier he was.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Maybe he just loves the grind

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Teiai's employment contracts are probably as insane as their loan contracts.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
Caught up to Kaiji, it would be funny if that new Teiai employee ended up replacing Endou the same way Tonegawa got replaced, although I doubt that's happening.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
lmao that they all rushed to floor 1 instead of spreading out

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

CodfishCartographer posted:

lmao that they all rushed to floor 1 instead of spreading out

Teiai are kind of morons

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Teiai are kind of morons

Individual Teiai employees are often quite bright, with clever plans and decent backups.

It's just that Teiai collectively forms a culture that can't learn from its mistakes, and that tends to get convinced it's unstoppable right up until they screw up, at which point all the collective blindspots that no-one bothered to correct come together to make for a total disaster of idiocy.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
2 new chapters time for the Mario Counterattack.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Mario FTW.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

L-O-N posted:

Chang has some stupid friends.

I think about this post a lot

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Hang in there Mario

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french

chiasaur11 posted:

Individual Teiai employees are often quite bright, with clever plans and decent backups.

It's just that Teiai collectively forms a culture that can't learn from its mistakes, and that tends to get convinced it's unstoppable right up until they screw up, at which point all the collective blindspots that no-one bothered to correct come together to make for a total disaster of idiocy.

They're extremely toxic to their subordinates which creates a Yes-Man culture which contributes to the brass thinking they are infallible. The underlings are so scared of failure that they will only do what they're told and never think outside the box or try to deviate in any way. Like you said, all these people aren't really morons but they convinced themselves they are by the verbal and physical harassment.

Fukomoto mangas are so painful to read on a weekly or monthly basis... so little happens per chapter, but if you read 10 at once, they fly by and you don't feel like each chapter is dragging things out, because you're getting the full picture.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
As was seen in recent chapters with guys getting insulted for messing up, only to report to their boss to be berated for messing up.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Teiai is the blackest of companies and it's a fantastic villainous force because of this.

ChaseSP fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Feb 20, 2022

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

ChaseSP posted:

Teiai is the blackest of companies and it's a fantastic villainous force because of this.

I appreciate the new number 2 is trying to fix it.

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

mamiya is good

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
I'm very glad Mamiya is getting translated again, I've been craving more than the every so often chapter of Kaiji.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

I've watched all of Akagi and I still don't know how to play Mahjong. The problem is they play some Japanese version that has a bunch of extra rules? Regular Mahjong doesn't have this "Riichi" thing.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

dipwood posted:

I've watched all of Akagi and I still don't know how to play Mahjong. The problem is they play some Japanese version that has a bunch of extra rules? Regular Mahjong doesn't have this "Riichi" thing.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_Mahjong

Tldr: richii is making an extra bet that you'll win without swapping any more tiles out of your hand. It sort of puts you on auto pilot, drawing tiles and discarding them if they don't let you win. It's risky cus it's harder to win, since you can't modify your hand any further, but can get extra reward since you're upping the bet.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Riichi Mahjong has a bunch of other, additional rules and hands to it too.

Legitimately, though, it's the most fun Mahjong variant I've ever played, and I think it's the most popular variant worldwide if you go off of landmass and not population.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Mario's going to get TOO drunk, isn't he?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Hopefully not.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I hope that either he screws everything up by getting completely wasted, or it turns out that he actually ordered non-alcoholic beer.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012
Kaiji Part 6 Chapter 414

Kaiji: I have an unspoken plan guarantee
Endou: What if I had one too

:allears:

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Nah, with all those gyoza he's going to get sodium poisoning .

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
So gyoza is called chinese food in Japan? I've always thought of it as a specifically Japanese presentation but I guess the basis of the dish came from china.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

Endou's downfall this time will come from the idiot he's dressing down mark my words

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Eight-Six posted:

Endou's downfall this time will come from the idiot he's dressing down mark my words

Who he punched for no reason too.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

No Wave posted:

So gyoza is called chinese food in Japan? I've always thought of it as a specifically Japanese presentation but I guess the basis of the dish came from china.

They are called Jiaozi in China (giǎoze in some mandarin dialects) so you can see where the japanese name came from.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

I'm not sure who inspires me more, Togashi making GBS threads out napkin-sketches for HxH for YEARS and having to have them cleaned up for the tankoban

or Fukumoto who has his angular style and just owns it forever regardless of the cost

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

What cost? Drawing like this is clearly comfortable to him and allows him to churn out chapters at his own pace. He's created a recognizable aesthetic across his work. He's actually a really good artist. I think he made some 'normal' looking anime drawings once.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

the cost of people not getting past the style. I mean I can read Ten front to back without thinking anything's wrong but for some people that's a dealbreaker

'some people' are wrong af

we got even more kaiji y'all

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

That's because Ten's art is bad. Kaiji's art is good.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Glad the updates have been coming, went a month without them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

dipwood posted:

That's because Ten's art is bad. Kaiji's art is good.

Just bc Fukumoto has a style of it's own, it doesn't mean his art didn't evolve, yeah. And it IS an incredibly popular style, I see it being spoofed in other Manga and Anime all the time. ESPECIALLY the wavy expressions of despair when someone's luck runs out in a gamble.