Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Webp can suck my dick, loving converting that bullshit when I'm trying to throw something on the Imgur

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Knormal posted:

Really? It seems like the web is beginning to settle on .webp as the universal new image format, and I think all the major browsers support it, aside from maybe iOS as they're always doing their own thing.

webp is one of the big offenders, it's a crapshoot whether any one of my phone apps will support it. And don't even get me started about imgur, the main thing I use images for around here, it throws a shitfit whenever I try to upload a webp image despite it giving me webp images at every possible moment when I try to download an image someone else uploaded. I understand the intent, but the implementation is absolute poo poo from the user end.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I always assumed the intent was specifically to make things a pain in the rear end for the user.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I agree that sucks but view that as a shortcoming of Imgur rather than the internet as a whole or the format. I don't get why they don't support webp, it would just mean uploaded images take up less server space.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

anybody remember jpeg2000? me neither

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
We don't need any new file types until they invent a new kind of media.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Stem player homie

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

BMan posted:

Then you don't work in video production

I envy you

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

BMan posted:

For a while, one of the companies producing security cameras went JPEG2000. It was a leap ahead of MJPEG but everyone else went MPEG-4 right after.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I can never read JPEG2000 without hearing it my head in the Music 2000 voice from Look Around You.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aR8qtxts1jY

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

BMan posted:

i think i saved a photoshop image in that format circa 2000? 2001? It was not animated, I just saved it as that because it must be the image format of the future!

And then I put it on a zip disk to take home

lmoa

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I don't understand why imgur is constantly trying to create new ways of being dumb and stupid and difficult to use

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I don't understand why imgur is constantly trying to create new ways of being dumb and stupid and difficult to use

They’re inherently an unprofitable business proposition

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Do they still pretend to be a social network?

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Image hosting doesn't make money, social media makes lots of money, so the more social media features we add, the more money we'll make

Problem: Nobody is using the social media features, everybody just comes here for the image hosting

Solution: Make it harder to host images, that way the users that come here will use the social media features instead

Problem: The people that used to come here for image hosting are no longer coming here

Solution: ???

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

flavor.flv posted:

Image hosting doesn't make money, social media makes lots of money, so the more social media features we add, the more money we'll make

Problem: Nobody is using the social media features, everybody just comes here for the image hosting

Solution: Make it harder to host images, that way the users that come here will use the social media features instead

Problem: The people that used to come here for image hosting are no longer coming here

Solution: ???

Fully expect the "solution" to involve the blockchain.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
It now costs 0.000001 imgcoin to host an image

I'll take one hectare of rainforest worth of goatse, please

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

We Got Us A Bread posted:

Tidal is problematic. Their in-house "mqa" format doesn't do what they claim it does, sound quality-wise, and they're going out of their way to hide it from everyone in the usual "make it hard to test, and when someone finds out that Tiday's lying about it, go HARD at poo poo talking them." There are more than a few people who think that Tidal's endgame isn't to be a streaming service, it's to try and get the music labels to replace the freely available .mp3 format with .mqa, which is owned and controlled by Tidal.

I'm always highly skeptical of digital music platforms that make bold claims about audio quality, because 99% of the flaws in how digital music sounds happen at the mixing & mastering stage. Throwing more kbps or KHz at it won't change the crappy decisions they made in the studio. (And anything I care that much about having in perfect quality I'll just buy, though I may not be representative of the audience in that regard.)

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
So what is the least problematic streaming music service? Free or at least cheap (lol at Tidal's $20/mo plan). I listen on my phone speakers so audio quality is not a big factor. Probably going to Youtube music next.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Bandcamp.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

I've never heard of MQA before, but I already hate them for calling a lossy codec "master quality"

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

So what is the least problematic streaming music service?

At this point? Probably the radio.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

At this point? Probably the radio.

You don't really listen to the radio much out in rural areas do you?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I was visiting a warehouse once and excited the first couple days they played the classic rock station. But they finished the rest of the week with country. This may be the stockholm syndrome taking over but really, total silence is probably worse than top 100 country.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

NeonPunk posted:

I do not, no. I get my music from an ipod and second-hand CDs.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

NeonPunk posted:

Do you? DJ's don't say anything of meaning unless it's talk radio, in which case you flip the dial.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Yeah the most you tend to get is "this is bozo the music man and here's another 40 minutes of nonstop noise".

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
"Hey it's DJ Deez Muttz in the Morning, brought to you and a thousand other stations via Clear Channel. Am I actually a person? Am I just an AI voice? Do I even exist? Do you? Here's music that we were paid to play for you, along with the worst loving advertisements known to man!"

I haven't had to use terrestrial radio for at least a decade and I don't miss it a single bit.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I like local radio because that's how I find out about local events.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
i like radio but i only listwn to it at work. gently caress clear channel. Burn em down.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

The only radio I've listened to in the last decade is the classical station with npr news breaks. That makes me cool

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009
I don't mind local radio so much. But can someone tell loving DJs it's not the 90's any more and prank calls are lame?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
YouTube music is working fine for me and is much better than Google Play or whatever it replaced.

Also gently caress clearChanel

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Volmarias posted:

"Hey it's DJ Deez Muttz in the Morning, brought to you and a thousand other stations via Clear Channel. Am I actually a person? Am I just an AI voice? Do I even exist? Do you? Here's music that we were paid to play for you, along with the worst loving advertisements known to man!"

I haven't had to use terrestrial radio for at least a decade and I don't miss it a single bit.

Back in the late 80s, Tucson had a good rock & roll station. Their morning program ? None, just a DJ spinning records but with traffic updates. No chatter, no news breaks, no funny noises, no talentless asswipes trying to be funny, just as much music as they'd play the rest of the day.

Naturally it got sold and switched formats thereby destroying the best morning radio ever.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
We used to have a pretty good local alternative station (like, played actual local bands and had local DJs etc) and it got bought out by I Heart Radio/Audacy like every other drat station and now they claim to be alternative but play the same thing as all the other stations. The one local show that they kept got syndicated so they don't even talk about local stuff anymore.

God I hate commercial radio. The ads are awful, too. "It's a crime to pay more than a dime!"

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I need to listen to music to sleep, and in high school it was always a classic rock radio station. The only problem is that every weekday morning (and I think Saturday), we got a simulcast of loving Bubba the Love Sponge. His show started with the intro to "Voodoo Child" at 6:00 AM, right before I had to get up, so I ended up with a visceral sense of dread hearing that guitar intro. Eventually they got rid of him, then shortly after it became a simulcast AM talk station.

One thing I love with Euro Truck Simulator is that you can get European internet radio stations and they're often really peaceful and chill.

Kupo!
Sep 14, 2009

Just follow me through this wall, I can show you things
no mortal eyes were meant
to see.

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

We used to have a pretty good local alternative station (like, played actual local bands and had local DJs etc) and it got bought out by I Heart Radio/Audacy like every other drat station and now they claim to be alternative but play the same thing as all the other stations. The one local show that they kept got syndicated so they don't even talk about local stuff anymore.

God I hate commercial radio. The ads are awful, too. "It's a crime to pay more than a dime!"

I was like "hmm sounds like The Buzz" until the last sentence, and yeah, gently caress Jeremy Franklin. Entercom/Audacy really murdered something good.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

BMan posted:

3M’s website uses them.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Duke Cannon will never retreat in the war against dirt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Platystemon posted:

Duke Cannon will never retreat in the war against dirt.

I assume "military-grade" for hygiene products means "completely grimy, plus someone drew a dick on it."