Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
Also keep in mind that there's a 99.9% chance Nvidia will put out a new driver almost immediately after release.

(ugh)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

The Joe Man posted:

Also keep in mind that there's a 99.9% chance Nvidia will put out a new driver almost immediately after release.

(ugh)

Didn't they already?

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Ohhhhh little hosed up shader,

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

RatHat posted:

Didn't they already?
No idea, I'm still operating on TNT2 drivers

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
A message from Yasuhiro Kitao (no spoilers)

https://youtube.com/watch?v=hprIkS1dqno

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

RatHat posted:

Didn't they already?

Yes. They were reportedly playing on the patched version of the game, and unless the red bull event organizers hosed up, they should've been on the latest nvidia driver versions, which have Elden Ring support.

Based on the description of the issue from elajjaz though, it seems like it was something wrong with the PCs they had at the event and not the game? He was describing general system instability happening in the background, with some system freezes and various programs and services crashing.

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

I watched a little bit of the red bull thing and at one point one of the streamers pulled their internal Discord convo into their monitor stream. Could see some notes like "maybe don't use estus so the PVP doesn't take forever". And yeah lots of tech problems in general. Pretty sloppy!

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
Pre-Release Footage

A video containing pre-release footage of Elden Ring, posted by a naive squire.

It has been said that the game was running on a cursed PC, which led to unimpressive performance.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Yes. They were reportedly playing on the patched version of the game, and unless the red bull event organizers hosed up, they should've been on the latest nvidia driver versions, which have Elden Ring support.

Based on the description of the issue from elajjaz though, it seems like it was something wrong with the PCs they had at the event and not the game? He was describing general system instability happening in the background, with some system freezes and various programs and services crashing.

he said the problems he was having were caused by some OBS bug

there does seem to be some minor stuttering issues on PC from what we've seen/general reports but probably not too bad & hopefully should be fixable. seems to just be with loading new areas in the open world, or shader compilation stuff when some new effect is used, but fairly minor

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I watched some of asmongold and some of sabaku and i didn't notice any stuttering. I didn't watch a whole lot. I think that the sabaku guy was on ps5 maybe? Not sure. I saw a clip showcasing an instance of stuttering from asmongold's video but it was not even very noticeable. I don't have good internet to watch streams and it buffers all the time but it wasn't bad. vOv

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Volte posted:

It's basically impossible to play it though because of input lag. I can't even play it over my local network via Remote Play let alone PS Now.

i'll jump in and say it's playable, i got through gascoigne trying it out just fine with the hour or so i tried it, but it also doesn't have the dlc so gently caress it don't play it on ps now

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
If anyone is wondering what you get if you beat the tutorial boss: You get a straightsword(though it requires 14 dex so you might not even be able to use it), a greatshield(which you definitely won’t be able to use), and 3200 runes/souls. As for what happens after I’ll let you find out but it’s not as cool/funny as Demon’s Souls

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
spoilers for the intro cinematic, but i loled at this bit from the asmongold stream:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Yg42ddXgfA

vandalism posted:

I watched some of asmongold and some of sabaku and i didn't notice any stuttering. I didn't watch a whole lot. I think that the sabaku guy was on ps5 maybe? Not sure. I saw a clip showcasing an instance of stuttering from asmongold's video but it was not even very noticeable. I don't have good internet to watch streams and it buffers all the time but it wasn't bad. vOv

also asmongold wasn't actually at the event, he was streaming from his house, and i think he was playing it remotely from his computer, or at least that's how everyone else played the game, like Vaati, the guy from Game Informer, etc. But maybe they wouldn't bother this close to release, i'm not sure.

imhotep fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Feb 20, 2022

Ashrik
Feb 9, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.
oh I'm watching one of those official streams of gameplay. I just saw the intro. I'm incredibly hyped and don't care about spoilers.

go for a stroll
Sep 10, 2003

you'll never make it out alive

Pillbug
PC vs PS5 has finally come to a coin flip. On one hand, I want 1440p 21:9, I want to run the 2027 equivalent of Convergence/Cinders, and I was anti-console on principle ("it's just a second, less capable PC") until my brother generously gifted me a PS5. On the other, playing in the living room does make the kind excessive sessions I'll be putting in feel less like neglecting my wife.

Heads is PC.

e: tails never fails baby

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Ashrik posted:

oh I'm watching one of those official streams of gameplay. I just saw the intro. I'm incredibly hyped and don't care about spoilers.

Where

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

5 days

Ashrik
Feb 9, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

https://twitch.tv/videos/1303183378

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
Gonna be playing this game this week??????

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Looks like I have a week to learn how to draw. Also print legibly.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
A question regarding starting gifts:

Are there a finite number of Cracked Pots in the game? If so, I could see starting out with 3 being a pretty good gift, although I don't think they would be useful until you get the crafting kit. Alternatively, I assume there are a finite number of Golden Seeds in the game, so I could see those being useful as well. Thoughts?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Are there Weapon Skills like in Dark Souls 3? I remember reading something about having to use a resource to unlock techniques but no idea if those are two separate things.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Azran posted:

Are there Weapon Skills like in Dark Souls 3? I remember reading something about having to use a resource to unlock techniques but no idea if those are two separate things.

I believe there are things called Ashes of War that can be assigned/unassigned to weapons that grant that weapon an art. How that works, the specifics of the system, and what sort of resources it costs, I don't know yet!

lih
May 15, 2013

weapon skills system is similar to ds3 but with much more elaborate customisation. each weapon has its own skill, but you can use 'ashes of war' to assign new skills to weapons, and also to change the scaling of weapons.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Think it's mostly free to swap whatever on to any weapon, except for a few rare cases where the weapon art is something specific to the weapon type. Like you wouldn't be able to slap 'stab 50 times with your polearm' onto your hammer. Also there's a couple of unmodifiable weapons that can ONLY use the art it comes with. At least that's what I've put together from the crumbs so far.

lih
May 15, 2013

it varies, some arts are pretty widely assignable, some are only usable with specific types of weapons

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
Recommend me a starting class. I usually ignore bows, but I want a ranged option. Normally, I gravitate towards quality builds and don't bother learning spells other than the most basic pyromancy, and magic is supposed to be great in this game? I don't like huge weapons or heavy shields.

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!

Spermando posted:

Recommend me a starting class. I usually ignore bows, but I want a ranged option. Normally, I gravitate towards quality builds and don't bother learning spells other than the most basic pyromancy, and magic is supposed to be great in this game? I don't like huge weapons or heavy shields.

You sound picky and no fun to be around so wretch it is, like me, fellow poster!

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
it's impossible for an intro cinematic to be a spoiler

Science_enthusiast
Dec 2, 2018

TECH(no) WOMBLE

Spermando posted:

The bows look a lot snappier this time around too.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

go for a stroll posted:

PC vs PS5 has finally come to a coin flip. On one hand, I want 1440p 21:9, I want to run the 2027 equivalent of Convergence/Cinders, and I was anti-console on principle ("it's just a second, less capable PC") until my brother generously gifted me a PS5. On the other, playing in the living room does make the kind excessive sessions I'll be putting in feel less like neglecting my wife.

Heads is PC.

e: tails never fails baby

PS5 apparently has pretty good haptics support for the Dualsense. Which is something I don't see PC getting ever.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Thundercracker posted:

PS5 apparently has pretty good haptics support for the Dualsense. Which is something I don't see PC getting ever.

I've played a couple PS5-to-PC ports that had the dual sense's haptic feedback. Deathloop and Far Cry 6 to name two. You just plug in the PS5 controller and it works with those games the same way they work on PS5, no hassle. Ideally, From does this with Elden Ring too, but... we'll see.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I've played a couple PS5-to-PC ports that had the dual sense's haptic feedback. Deathloop and Far Cry 6 to name two. You just plug in the PS5 controller and it works with those games the same way they work on PS5, no hassle. Ideally, From does this with Elden Ring too, but... we'll see.

Huh, that's interesting. I would've assumed Sony would want to keep it as an exclusive to sell PS5s.

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!
96hr left

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Watching Ela's VOD from the red bull thing. It's like a rollercoaster.

Oh look, hyperdelayed attacks with dozens of startup frames and two execution frames. So we're just doing this again.
HOLY poo poo that cavern what's over there is that a new area what's that treasure OMG
Yup, there's a two-hit combo the game can option into if you attack. It's always fun fighting input reads.
OH gently caress it just keeps going where does that go what even is this game.

In conclusion, it'll be a 10/10.

Thundercracker posted:

This is literally the first thing I turn off. No rumble, no wacky triggers, no controller speaker. I've had this is one form or another since the Rumble Pak was introduced and it's never done anything other than cause the loudest noise possible when you put in on your coffee table during a cutscene.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice
Playing Wretch just turns Elden Ring into a battle royale.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Do we actually know the exact release time? I keep seeing conflicting information.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Pwnstar posted:

Looks like I have a week to learn how to draw. Also print legibly.

Bro I love it.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Infinity Gaia posted:

Do we actually know the exact release time? I keep seeing conflicting information.

it's out now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

iirc some ashes unlock alternate forms of weapon scaling but you get to choose which available scaling to use