Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Licorice Pizza more like Licorice Nonce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

did PTA forget to cast any real actors in that film

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Licorice Pizza, what the hell even was that. How does the guy that makes Boogie Nights and There Will Be Blood end up making Licorice Pizza?!

Oh wait, I see he directed a ton of Haims music videos, and now he casts her in a movie. Trying to gently caress her, got it.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

Cubone posted:

it's kinda weird that the Scream movies have always been whodunnits when they're a send-up of slashers and that was almost never an element in slasher movies

e: I guess Sleepaway Camp and Friday the 13th part 5
but it really isn't that common
generally you know who the killer is
most slashers were like urban legends, socially speaking, it's the man with the hook for a hand, they're stories about kids meeting the grisly random violence of an untamed world when they stray too far from civilization

e2: maybe that's one of the reasons Scream has managed to persist well into the new millennium. as cultural fears shift from the dangerous outside to the sickness already with us something somethng

A lot of b-slashers are whodunnits

Like, a lot

Offler
Mar 27, 2010
loving algorithm!

A few days ago while clicking around on Youtube I thoughtlessly clicked on some video about how badly Amazon had screwed up the new LOTR series. Within a minute it became apparent that it was just some bearded white guy complaining about nonwhite actors, so I shut it off. This was enough for Youtube to open the floodgates and start recommending a seemingly never-ending supply of bearded-dude-complains-about-LOTR-diversity channels. At this point I think I have blocked at least 10 different channels, but the almighty algorithm keeps finding new ones to recommend to me.

So fair warning, don't click anything LOTR-related on Youtube for a while unless you want to be flooded with videos like "Amazon REMOVES cringe Lord of the Rings "superfan" shill video - Rings of Power all about DIVERSITY" (actual title in my recommended today) for the next forever.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Offler posted:

loving algorithm!

A few days ago while clicking around on Youtube I thoughtlessly clicked on some video about how badly Amazon had screwed up the new LOTR series. Within a minute it became apparent that it was just some bearded white guy complaining about nonwhite actors, so I shut it off. This was enough for Youtube to open the floodgates and start recommending a seemingly never-ending supply of bearded-dude-complains-about-LOTR-diversity channels. At this point I think I have blocked at least 10 different channels, but the almighty algorithm keeps finding new ones to recommend to me.

So fair warning, don't click anything LOTR-related on Youtube for a while unless you want to be flooded with videos like "Amazon REMOVES cringe Lord of the Rings "superfan" shill video - Rings of Power all about DIVERSITY" (actual title in my recommended today) for the next forever.

:lol:

For all the complaints about “far left big tech” you keep hearing, the only recommendations I keep getting from YouTube are: Tucker Carlson, Ben Shapiro, and Jordan Peterson talking about how all women are liars

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

henkman posted:

Like, a lot

The very first Friday the 13th was one.

Offler posted:

loving algorithm!

If you delete that initial video from your watch history it should help

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

henkman posted:

Like, a lot

Seriously. To the point where the first slasher parody (1981's Student Bodies) specifically had a character who was called out as being the "creepy red herring" character. In Cabin in the Woods they reclassified the typical "scary local who gives ominous vibes to the future victims" as some type of warning sign, but the original purpose of that character in most of the early slashers was to be the person who everyone thought was the killer. (Then that character turns up dead around the end of Act 2 to ratchet up the tension.)

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

*watching hours of WWII tactics and history*
Youtube: do you want to see mrbeast GUVE AWAY $1,000,000?!?

*watches 30 seconds of an annoying incel complaining about LOTR being woke*
Youtube: here are forty videos explaining how the election was stolen by Joe Biden

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
you can go into your youtube history and delete individual videos. I do that whenever I watch something that might affect recommendations and it seems to work

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Yeah youtube is designed to take you from the latest trailer for some mainstream mcu flick like black panther 2: wakanda forever to a prager u video yelling about how critical race theory is communism shoved down our kids throats in just 5 autoplay recommendations or less and then to rank antisemitism in 10 autoplay recommendations or less.

Anyway in related news Gunn did film Batman and Cyborg cameos with stand-ins for the PEACEMAKER final but some WB higher up got them removed

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Whoever said new Scream is good is a boob.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Batman cos they got the R. Patz one soon and don’t wanna stink it up at all.

Cyborg cos WB seem to hate that dude.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Whoever said new Scream is good is a boob.

Elevated horror fan spotted

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

They should make more whodunnit movies. Looking forward to Knives Out 2

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The United States posted:

Yeah youtube is designed to take you from the latest trailer for some mainstream mcu flick like black panther 2: wakanda forever to a prager u video yelling about how critical race theory is communism shoved down our kids throats in just 5 autoplay recommendations or less and then to rank antisemitism in 10 autoplay recommendations or less.

Anyway in related news Gunn did film Batman and Cyborg cameos with stand-ins for the PEACEMAKER final but some WB higher up got them removed

That guy looks like jerma's been photoshopped in over his face

Offler
Mar 27, 2010

Stink Billyums posted:

you can go into your youtube history and delete individual videos. I do that whenever I watch something that might affect recommendations and it seems to work

Thank you, this worked. I'm free!

Vakal
May 11, 2008
How come Batman doesn't dance anymore?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Elevated Horror is such a good term

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

bitterandtwisted posted:

They should make more whodunnit movies. Looking forward to Knives Out 2

Whodunnits loving pwn and I am going to watch the mushmouth Poirot Nile movie and I'm going to both love it and despise it because Christie novels deserve BETTER

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I liked the first half fine, but hoo boy it gets bad

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Cubone posted:

method acting worked for Heath Joker and Daniel Day Louis and the guy that played Chris R in The Room

that's it though
Jarjar Lento stank. he just looked like a dumb idiot

oh and I guess Leo got an oscar when that bear raped him

Maryl Streep gave up on method after The Devil Wears Prada and look what happened- NOTHING she's still one of the finest living actors. so what the gently caress

This is why Lady Gaga’s Oscar campaign for House of Gucci was the best piece of performance art in the last few years. She was doing this complete piss-take on “the serious actor” (kind of like how her A Star is Born Oscar campaign was a burlesque of “the just-discovered ingenue”). It’s sad that so many people were taking her seriously, because it’s incredibly obvious what she’s doing and it was loving hilarious.

https://twitter.com/gagadaily/status/1469993882670743554?s=21

https://twitter.com/jeremiahlabor/status/1463572358262894604?s=21

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Lady Gaga loving owns

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Cubone posted:

method acting worked for Heath Joker

Ummmm…

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

Lady Gaga seems better than most but her whole schtick is still a carefully constructed corporate product built to sell you millennial Madonna.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Unless you're Brando or DeNiro, nobody should do method acting, it's the most overrated performance style out there. Instead actors should just follow this bit of sage advice:

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Laurence Olivier: "Why don't you try acting, my dear boy"

Sedgr posted:

Lady Gaga seems better than most but her whole schtick is still a carefully constructed corporate product built to sell you millennial Madonna.

On the other hand this is a woman who did a song with R. Kelly, who was well known as a rapist long before his conviction, and was apparently shocked by the flack she received for it, so it's possible she might just be up her own shapely posterior E: meant to reply to the post about her being a great performance artist in regards to her acting, I largely agree with your post :)

Sydney Bottocks fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Feb 20, 2022

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Lady Gaga loving owns

Like, if "better" in this context means 'head firmly up own rear end" then sure.

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
i didnt know the guy in licorice pizza was phillip see more hoffmans son

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Unless you're Brando or DeNiro, nobody should do method acting, it's the most overrated performance style out there. Instead actors should just follow this bit of sage advice:

On the other hand this is a woman who did a song with R. Kelly, who was well known as a rapist long before his conviction, and was apparently shocked by the flack she received for it, so it's possible she might just be up her own shapely posterior E: meant to reply to the post about her being a great performance artist in regards to her acting, I largely agree with your post :)

She just did a song with Kesha's old rapist manager IIRC so yeah I think she just doesn't give a poo poo

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

saw scream 5 a few days ago. not sure what movie everyone itt was watching but it was just ok. its easily the best scream sequel but thats a low bar. all if the acting was atrocious except jack quaid and david arquette (somehow), and melissa barrera should never work again. i guess im tired of people trying to be clever with meta sequels. maybe dont make a matrix or scream sequel if you hate sequels

edit
the gore was good if you are into that, jay

Hackers film 1995 fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Feb 20, 2022

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

rydiafan posted:

The very first Friday the 13th was one.
no it wasn't

they didn't know who the killer was, that's not the same thing

lol

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

AARD VARKMAN posted:

Whodunnits loving pwn and I am going to watch the mushmouth Poirot Nile movie and I'm going to both love it and despise it because Christie novels deserve BETTER

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Hackers film 1995 posted:

melissa barrera should never work again.

She wasn't as bad as Mikey Madison imo

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I’ve seen the ustinov Death on the Nile and can’t remember who did it so it’ll be like going in spoiler free!

I assume it is some combination of several people all murdering whoever it was.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

priznat posted:

I’ve seen the ustinov Death on the Nile and can’t remember who did it so it’ll be like going in spoiler free!

I assume it is some combination of several people all murdering whoever it was.

It always is, unless it isn't. I'm sure I read Death on the Nile at some point since I've read 50+ Agatha Christie novels but absolute LOL at the idea of remembering who did it in one of those for more than a week (outside the Big Ones, like Orient Express, obviously)

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

AARD VARKMAN posted:

The Poirot tv series ran for almost 25 years and was absolutely perfect. What the gently caress could any new adaptation possibly add?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Dabir posted:

The Poirot tv series ran for almost 25 years and was absolutely perfect. What the gently caress could any new adaptation possibly add?

the multiverse!!

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Dabir posted:

a real life cannibal and a kal el no

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Maybe in this new one it was a blue space laser that did it. Only one way to find out!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

cannibal guy: “its too late. they fired it.”
*a blue laser fires into the sky murdering yet another person on the boat*
*gal gadot falls from the sky landing on one knee and splintering the deck*
kal el no: “nah I kno, that ahnly love can truly save da worl. So ah stay, ah fight, and ahgive, for the world I know ca be.”
*credits*