Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

fatelvis
Mar 21, 2010

Ardennes posted:

According to that report, the vast majority of the areas being hit are in separatist territory which implies that government forces are the ones doing it unless the separatist are constantly firing artillery at themselves.

They might just have really bad aim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
One thing that is really noticeable is gently caress me the US press is just horny for war! They are just gagging for it.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

I'm sure China is very eager to go after things that doesn't pay the bills such as "your rights"

Brogeoisie
Jan 12, 2005

"Look, I'm a private citizen," he said. "One thing that I don't have to do is sit here and open my kimono as it relates to how much money I make or didn't."
Only thing I've learned over years is liberals only care about optics. Putin is a quiet brooding personality mixed with history of supporting questionable conflicts. US has had "cool" charismatic presidents like Obama ... who also support questionable conflicts. The optics of Obama being cool matters more than him drone assassinating US citizens (Al-awakis son), expanding the drone program, financing a fake vaccination program in Pakistan, refusing to close secret torture prisons, targeting of journalists, starting decade+ long conflicts in Syria and Libya, coup in Honduras (there are more). Because Putin isn't "fun" by western media standards, he must be evil and we must be good despite anyone looking at this objectively would immediately recognize US is the global evil here and Russia is just a strawman always to hide how lovely US is

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

CYBEReris posted:

is there a reason the (lib especially) assumption is always that the separatists are taking direct orders from russia? regardless of what they are and are not doing I would think they would have their own motives and goals and internal command hierarchy. for all we know the separatists want russia's aid but russia is refusing because they don't want war.

the general line of thinking, as far as I'm aware, is that the separatists only survive because of Russian support (for example, the Ukrainian military was beating them pretty handily back in 2014 before Russian intervention) and so have to abide by Russia's orders or lose the backing that keeps them afloat. I think it's a pretty shortsighted interpretation because it denies agency to separatists who likely have their own goals that may sometimes complement but sometimes contradict Russia's goals, and also because of the many comparisons you can make of great power client state leaders taking action of their own accord to try and pressure their patrons into a preferred course of action. But it fits with the pretty reductive takes you often see in the media that characterize Russian decision-making as resting entirely on Putin the all-powerful dictator rather than recognizing that decision-making in the Kremlin is more complicated than that.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Sounds like USA is going to need more private holding facilities.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

exmarx posted:

k, last one

lol awesome

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

vyelkin posted:

But it fits with the pretty reductive takes you often see in the media that characterize Russian decision-making as resting entirely on Putin the all-powerful dictator rather than recognizing that decision-making in the Kremlin is more complicated than that.
Putin does some of that poo poo himself. Like that propaganda video about annexation of Crimea where he highlights his own involvement in it.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
https://twitter.com/DumbGuypod/status/1495266305443876865

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

exmarx posted:

k, last one

cool

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I too, have read Tom Clancy’s longest novel, “The Bear and the Dragon”.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

The idea that Ukraine decided right now is the time to make a final push to conquer the separatist regions while Russia has them encircled with 150,000+ troops is pretty dumb.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Sinteres posted:

The idea that Ukraine decided right now is the time to make a final push to conquer the separatist regions while Russia has them encircled with 150,000+ troops is pretty dumb.

Who knows if Ukraine actually is going to push in full force but government forces certainly have been upping the amount of artillery strikes into the separatist regions. In that context, I don’t see the evacuation of civilians and mobilization in those regions as that unexpected.

It really depends on which side really starts moving its tanks around though and if they make the conflict “hot” again.

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

Sinteres posted:

almost as dumb as the idea of Russia invading The Ukraine just as nordstream 2 is about to go online

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

thatfatkid posted:

almost as dumb as the idea of Russia invading The Ukraine just as nordstream 2 is about to go online

I think it's dumber because regardless of the costs involved Russia is at least capable of accomplishing whatever war aims they might theoretically have in Ukraine, while Ukraine is not at all capable of accomplishing theirs.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Germany wants NS2 too much; Scholz will personally tell Biden and BoJo to gently caress off.

It's never been at risk.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Sinteres posted:

I think it's dumber because regardless of the costs involved Russia is at least capable of accomplishing whatever war aims they might theoretically have in Ukraine, while Ukraine is not at all capable of accomplishing theirs.

It depends on the optics is the situation though and if they could fight a campaign without active Russian intervention.

All of this is about brinkmanship.

Conspiratiorist posted:

Germany wants NS2 too much; Scholz will personally tell Biden and BoJo to gently caress off.

It's never been at risk.

It still has to pass the European Parliament and Scholz depends on the anti-pipeline Green’s for a coalition.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 16:50 on Feb 20, 2022

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Ardennes posted:

It depends on the optics is the situation though and if they could fight a campaign without active Russian intervention.

All of this is about brinkmanship.

Yeah but literally no one would think they can fight that campaign without active Russian intervention while there are troops massed across the border and Russia's already making ominously threatening demands all the time. Like I think the Ukrainian leadership has been borderline suicidal with pursuing policies they know will push Russia to act is it is, but I don't think they're Saakashvili levels of stupid, blundering into setting things off themselves.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Sinteres posted:

Yeah but literally no one would think they can fight that campaign without active Russian intervention while there are troops massed across the border and Russia's already making ominously threatening demands all the time.

Personally, I've stopped believing people won't do stupid things purely because it is a bad idea but ymmv.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Personally, I've stopped believing people won't do stupid things purely because it is a bad idea but ymmv.

I don't think anyone involved is making ideal decisions necessarily, it just seems pretty transparent that the Ukrainian final push narrative is being constructed by Russia as a casus belli, and I don't think Ukraine is quite stupid enough to actually do it when they've already seen another world leader do that and get hosed up badly.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Sinteres posted:

Yeah but literally no one would think they can fight that campaign without active Russian intervention while there are troops massed across the border and Russia's already making ominously threatening demands all the time.

It depends if Kiev wants to call their bluff with the knowledge how much the West wants to sanction the Russian economy. It is at least a possible even though it would be high risk.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 16:56 on Feb 20, 2022

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Sinteres posted:

I don't think anyone outside of the Kremlin press office would claim the Ukrainian government is doing that. But how much control does Zelensky have over the neo-fasscist volunteer battalions or the gas oligarchs?

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

genericnick posted:

I don't think anyone outside of the Kremlin press office would claim the Ukrainian government is doing that. But how much control does Zelensky have over the neo-fasscist volunteer battalions or the gas oligarchs?

Granted, it is a bit unclear how much heavy artillery the paramilitaries control considering the latest shelling.

It may be that the shelling is a relative “compromise” position rather than actual maneuver warfare.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 17:00 on Feb 20, 2022

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

genericnick posted:

Yeah it's important to remember in moments like this that states aren't unitary actors. The president or cabinet in Kyiv might be saying one thing, but that doesn't mean that every soldier and administrator across the country is following their orders to the letter every minute of every day. I can imagine a lot of soldiers being pretty unhappy with orders to not shoot back even if fired upon, for example.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Ardennes posted:

It depends if Kiev wants to call their bluff with the knowledge how much the West wants to sanction the Russian economy. It is at least a possible even though it would be high risk.

Look at how much video has come out recently of Russian troop movements on the border. If Ukraine was doing anything even remotely comparable we'd be seeing all kinds of videos of it, but instead we just get murky rumors. I really don't think Ukrainian infosec is that good, especially since we all know they're pretty heavily infiltrated by Russia, who'd be extremely disposed to leak anything damning to Ukraine. Instead we get embarrassing videos with old metadata coming out from the separatist republics.

genericnick posted:

Azov Battalion obviously exists and is awful, but I really don't think they have the size or power to make big moves like that without support from regular forces.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Ardennes posted:

It still has to pass the European Parliament and Scholz depends on the anti-pipeline Green’s for a coalition.

Jam it through as part of the ceasefire that gets Russia to stop kicking pwoo lil Ukraine.

Sinteres posted:

Yeah but literally no one would think they can fight that campaign without active Russian intervention while there are troops massed across the border and Russia's already making ominously threatening demands all the time. Like I think the Ukrainian leadership has been borderline suicidal with pursuing policies they know will push Russia to act is it is, but I don't think they're Saakashvili levels of stupid, blundering into setting things off themselves.

It's a narrative that hinges on both Ukrainian leadership being so stupid as to start a war with an adversary that's amassed the largest fighting force since the Iraq War, and Russian leadership being so stupid as to get baited into a war they definitely don't want because they totally absolutely have nothing to gain and only puts their economy at risk.

All puppetmastered by the geniuses at the CIA, of course.

Occam's razor is maybe the guys that have put together a Totally Just Moving My Troops Inside My Borders (and my Friend's) are looking for a fight, will make up a cause if they aren't outright given one, while on the side the US yells as loudly as possible because they're a demon cracker nation of war profiteers and just can't loving help themselves.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Sinteres posted:

Look at how much video has come out recently of Russian troop movements on the border. If Ukraine was doing anything even remotely comparable we'd be seeing all kinds of videos of it, but instead we just get murky rumors. I really don't think Ukrainian infosec is that good, especially since we all know they're pretty heavily infiltrated by Russia, who'd be extremely disposed to leak anything damning to Ukraine. Instead we get embarrassing videos with old metadata coming out from the separatist republics.

The Ukrainian government already has a bunch of troops in the area, they wouldn’t have to be shipped in from Siberia.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Ardennes posted:

The Ukrainian government already has a bunch of troops in the area, they wouldn’t have to be shipped in from Siberia.

There's a difference between in the area and organizing for a final push. I'm not talking about transport videos showing the process of military movements from Siberia to the border either, I'm talking about videos within five miles of the border, and we'd be seeing that kind of video from the Ukrainian side if they were making offensive preparations.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 20 days!)

The most likely outcome is that nothing actually happens, just like the last time there was a flare up. Both sides are trading shots & artillery right now because that's the kind of dance you have to do when you're trying to demonstrate that the other guy needs to start de-escalating.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Cpt_Obvious posted:

but that means that anything could happen

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The most likely outcome is that nothing actually happens, just like the last time there was a flare up. Both sides are trading shots & artillery right now because that's the kind of dance you have to do when you're trying to demonstrate that the other guy needs to start de-escalating.
yep

Brogeoisie
Jan 12, 2005

"Look, I'm a private citizen," he said. "One thing that I don't have to do is sit here and open my kimono as it relates to how much money I make or didn't."
CBS reporting Russia to proceed invasion of Ukraine. It's groundhogs day. Again.

Fated To Be Fat
May 23, 2009

A branch without a tree.

exmarx posted:

k, last one

amazing

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
https://twitter.com/wtop/status/1495436127259537413?s=21

this is at least martin’s third “here comes the invasion alert” of the past week

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Zeroisanumber posted:

One thing that is really noticeable is gently caress me the US press is just horny for war! They are just gagging for it.

there is no other way to keep the current Democrat-media order in place otherwise. They’re out of options to keep Kamala in play for the whitehouse.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Republicans are starting to shift towards Biden. War is becoming more likely

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

If you think it's bad now wait until the air campaign begins and congress/media start screeching about establishing a NFZ.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
we have already reached the fabled date of February 20 where's my invasion?

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

im no military strategist but i would think NOT advertising when you are going to invade is preferable to letting everyone know exactly when your invasion will start

unless! unless their plan is lull everyone into a false sense of security and then really invade of these times

those crafty ruskies!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 20 days!)

Raskolnikov38 posted:

https://twitter.com/wtop/status/1495436127259537413?s=21

this is at least martin’s third “here comes the invasion alert” of the past week

you almost get the impression they're doing it over and over again until people stop bothering to push back