Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

To be honest I think they should just not bother trying to do gimmicks as a way to win the game, because none of them ever work well with the actual bulk of the gameplay.

Just stick to giving you fun loot and XP.

Nah, if I just wanted to paint a map I'd just play Paradox stuff. They should try, and fail, more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Karl Franz is a coward who deserved to lose his empire. Seriously, playing as Skrag I ambushed him twice. The first time he had a full 20 stack army and I only had about 14 (I was far more worried about meat than I needed to be). So I fell on the back half of his stack and destroyed his Reiksguard and almost all of his missile troops which took out everything I was worried about. Seven full units destroyed, and two made it off with a handful of people, and ten (mostly swordsmen) almost untouched. Then I ambushed him again because I didn't think I could take Altdorf plus his ruined stack. This time I wanted to wipe the stack out so tried to double team Franz with Skrag and my butcher. He rode off on horseback, leaving his army to die (and Skrag's army is very good at chasing humans).

Cowardly Karl Franz is a new one to me. And I've abandoned Skrag; it feels too easy because there are no other LLs down there and I've painted so much of the map the rifts are going to be very not fun. (I caught Kostaltyn in march stance recently then took Erengrad).

One thing about the Realm of the Sorcerer - I'm pretty sure that the teleport paths are different for each different person that is in there. I mugged N'kari with Katarin when they appeared from the beacon I was trying to reach to get to the survival battle.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Really don't know what idiot thought fighting exactly the same battle over and over again in order to have a random chance at the game telling you where to go, was a good mechanic. It's not even a difficult battle, you just have to manually fight it every time so that you don't lose units.

Genuinely garbage design, possibly even worse than the vortex.

And this is going to be mandatory for every loving campaign, good god.

How!
Oct 29, 2009

Had some cool battles in the Tzeentch realm- two where I was playing as Slaanesh reinforcing a Cathayan army. That was odd.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

What's going on here

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

These Tzeentch mutations are getting out of hand.

Also who knew Furies had such firm buttocks :butt:

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Blooming Brilliant posted:

There definitely should have been a way to force rifts to open, maybe something like 20,000-30,000 gold to spawn one in your capital, because you're tiddling your thumbs waiting for them when you've already by-in-large won the campaign.

Something like that. Maybe a bit more involved, like having to hunt down one of a few roving chaos bands, scattered around the map? I'm not particularly looking forward to playing the last 100 turns of the campaign as a skip turn simulator.

Also wasn't Meow supposed to get an active skill at the end of her dragon skill line? I don't seem to have a button.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Blooming Brilliant posted:

These Tzeentch mutations are getting out of hand.

Also who knew Furies had such firm buttocks :butt:

I'm more unsettled by the one up top with a second chest complete with abs where its rated-M-for-mature bits should be.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I think that the "fix tzeentch" map mod pack is going to be a first pick. Tbf I realised that the way to get through nurgles realm is to just do it in "encamp" mode, maybe if you hit channeling for your army it does something different for big T?

canada jezus
Jul 18, 2011

I really enjoy playing with beefy melee heroes but seems like they're not super plentiful in this game. Anwyay, i've got three souls in my cathay game, coming up on confedding. Eager to finish 1 campaign then mod out the rifts.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

They would genuinely be fine if they weren't mandatory, as it stands they just get in the way of the thing I actually play total war for by throwing stupid loving minigames at you like you're a toddler with the attention span of a goldfish.

canada jezus
Jul 18, 2011

Timing is just a little tight for me, by the time my LL has lost negative traits, recruited replacements for the things that die we're ready to go again.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Also, since apparently Denuvo is being a poo poo, would trying to run the Steam version of the game with a cracked .exe be a very bad idea?

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

hey everybody let's meet up with Toxfarter at the tree, Slaanesh you come too, oh are you leaving? oh hey you're back, leaving so soon? oh wait welcome back, sorry you can't stay, oh hey glad you could make it

also a mega spell that was just a giant molten orb rolling down a hill (I suppose I could have cast it uphill oh god tzeentch)

Twigand Berries fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Feb 20, 2022

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

I feel like specifically as kislev they have a tremendous amount of options for slowing stuff down, frostbite, ice sheet, and the bitterness of winter all stack together, so you can make it so that units can barely move. Ice sheet IMO is a top tier spell for them because it's dirt cheap, really spammable, and has a massive effect area, you can basically use it to take armies apart and it lets you get maximum use out of your ranged firepower before closing to melee.
Ice sheet also provides a dirt cheap way to keep a missile resist and MDef buff up a lot of the time.

I've been running an Ice Witch and Tempest Frost Maiden per army and ideally two patriarchs, one with the stamina regen chant. The hybrid units eat through stamina oiled crazy.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Feb 20, 2022

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Twigand Berries posted:

I like your post. I’ve actually thought they may have hard baked a sort of stalemate in the empire area unless you decide to interact with it to avoid a situation where someone playing game three would suddenly have a campaign filled with empire or vampire enemies. This may be something you and I would find fun, but I can see the “why are all my opponents from game 2???” complaints from people being something you want to avoid.

I doubt it given that like 4 LL starts have you literally next door neighbors with the empire. I still think it's something to do with attrition, especially seems to happen when an army needs a very specific form of corruption that isn't readily available in the world at large. Manny will leave his borders, take some damage marching in the direction of some settlement he clearly wants, then turn around and retreat after a turn or two. Maybe because of the high unit sizes for his trash mobs his AI thinks he's hitting some kind of threshold for 'lost too many dudes' and runs home idk. The same thing also works in reverse when the empire attack him.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

If you combine ice sheet with Tempest's +accuracy and +range buff on an archer line even the T1 Kossars just obliterate everything in front of them. An Ice + Tempest caster army can have some powerful combos.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

In this game I haven't touched the empire and ostermark has conquered everything but drakenhof itself, they don't seem bothered about the attrition.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Toxxfarter is my rereg name

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Really enjoying Kislev but from these posts I can see I'm not making good use of the ice spells, definitely going to fix that.

Anyone got any tips on a rough order for chaos realms? I went into Khorne first with a fairly basic army and attrition from the battles meant the other side got the soul before me. I feel like I should definitely get into at least advanced or elite units before heading in there. Is this campaign like the Vortex one where even if you gently caress up and slowboat your way to the end you still get the option to fight the opposing faction to prevent them winning the campaign?

Also what the gently caress is up with this game's optimisation or whatever it's called? I can hear my fans whirring at lightspeed over my noise-cancelling headphones AND the game volume.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Is there anything special about Ostermark?

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Bloodly posted:

They have the best colour scheme of the Empire so that's gotta count for something

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Pierson posted:

Really enjoying Kislev but from these posts I can see I'm not making good use of the ice spells, definitely going to fix that.

Anyone got any tips on a rough order for chaos realms? I went into Khorne first with a fairly basic army and attrition from the battles meant the other side got the soul before me. I feel like I should definitely get into at least advanced or elite units before heading in there. Is this campaign like the Vortex one where even if you gently caress up and slowboat your way to the end you still get the option to fight the opposing faction to prevent them winning the campaign?

Also what the gently caress is up with this game's optimisation or whatever it's called? I can hear my fans whirring at lightspeed over my noise-cancelling headphones AND the game volume.

It's not like Vortex, if someone gets all the souls before you it's immediately game over full stop. If you're way behind the only way to avoid losing is to fully kill off all the factions that are ahead of you, which is pretty unrealistic. It's a god-awful system and I can't see myself touching this campaign ever again after Immortal Empires drops.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Bloodly posted:

From 2 they seem to like cutting down the wrong trees.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Double Bill posted:

It's not like Vortex, if someone gets all the souls before you it's immediately game over full stop. If you're way behind the only way to avoid losing is to fully kill off all the factions that are ahead of you, which is pretty unrealistic. It's a god-awful system and I can't see myself touching this campaign ever again after Immortal Empires drops.
Oof that sucks, might end up being glad I grabbed this via a month of Gamepass for £1 then and hang on 'till the mortal empires 3.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Double Bill posted:

I figure I'll just get tired of the campaign before any of them finish anyway, turn 65 atm and not entered a single realm but no other faction has more than 1 soul so far. Maybe one will get 2 by turn 70 but eh.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

So uh, Skarbrand really tears people apart huh? Playing as Katarin I was level 17, he was 12. His army annihilated mine no matter what I tried. Any tips for what to do as Kislev against Khorne? Gunline seems a bad idea when it's 6 chariots, etc. Also playing on legendary because I'm an idiot.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Gotta say I love the steal settlement skill for Kairos, especially when some annoying neighbour ran in and grabbed one of mine that got razed by a passing Khorne army.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Aurubin posted:

So uh, Skarbrand really tears people apart huh? Playing as Katarin I was level 17, he was 12. His army annihilated mine no matter what I tried. Any tips for what to do as Kislev against Khorne? Gunline seems a bad idea when it's 6 chariots, etc. Also playing on legendary because I'm an idiot.

I haven't had to actually deal with him yet, but Skarbrand is a tall boy so as Kislev especially you can probably have a sacrifical unit get mulched while everyone else shoots the poo poo out of him

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

So I have a fat stack of cash as Cathay but a low income and can only have one caravan dispatched at a time - is the more than one caravan a tech thing? I really need a higher income if I want to tech up now that I have crane gunners and cannons, but don’t want to eradicate my income even with a nice cash reserve. I just confederated the guys who own the other two gates and that seems to have made my economy worse

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Aurubin posted:

Gunline and stack speed penalties on the fast units. Also layered gunline, your spear kossars should be able to take a charge from large units like a champ, your armour guys have good AP damage with their guns, and your ice guard can help slow. Otherwise you want an ice and tempest caster in each army, buff your ranged units with AoE range and accuracy, slow the enemy down with constant casts of ice field, maximise your time on target for the gunline, ideally they should die before they touch you but your dudes can also brawl it out if you weaken the enemy enough first, but afaik legendary fucks the melee balance up so you want to focus on deleting as many of their models as possible.

Gamerofthegame posted:

I haven't had to actually deal with him yet, but Skarbrand is a tall boy so as Kislev especially you can probably have a sacrifical unit get mulched while everyone else shoots the poo poo out of him

Also this, he will kill stuff real good 1 on 1 but he takes a while to chew through a unit of dudes, so just feed him kossars while you blow the rest of his army up.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

My preliminary results on testing the Slaanesh realm rewards seems to show it isn't entirely random.

-Save scumming the turn you are about to enter the last portal results in a 50K cash reward and nothing else.

-When N'Kari was only one level behind me so if I took the reward he had a very good chance to gain the soul: It offered me the Sword of Slaanesh and the Sycophant as well which is arguably better than the sword and I think 50K.
-When N'Kari chose to take a reward and disappeared from the realm leaving me alone in there: It offered me 75k, the Sycophant, and a bunch of other items.
-Reloading the end turn save prior to going into the reward will override the save scum penalty above but the rewards really seem to stay based on the dynamics of what your gamble entails as in who else is in there with you. I could test further but these are Nurgle battles I'm having to fight, but my guess is if you wait around to ambush a rival before snagging a reward it means you might just dumpster your reward.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Anyone else paid some attention to the dragon-blooded lord's close combat attacks? They're pretty wild

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Twigand Berries posted:

My preliminary results on testing the Slaanesh realm rewards seems to show it isn't entirely random.

-Save scumming the turn you are about to enter the last portal results in a 50K cash reward and nothing else.

-When N'Kari was only one level behind me so if I took the reward he had a very good chance to gain the soul: It offered me the Sword of Slaanesh and the Sycophant as well which is arguably better than the sword and I think 50K.
-When N'Kari chose to take a reward and disappeared from the realm leaving me alone in there: It offered me 75k, the Sycophant, and a bunch of other items.
-Reloading the end turn save prior to going into the reward will override the save scum penalty above but the rewards really seem to stay based on the dynamics of what your gamble entails as in who else is in there with you. I could test further but these are Nurgle battles I'm having to fight, but my guess is if you wait around to ambush a rival before snagging a reward it means you might just dumpster your reward.

Ah, I could have sworn the circle of vainglory promised to raise everyone's level by 10 before the game crashed and I had to pick it again and got 5.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Kislev is alright, but having to deal with the with the rivalry and the Realm of Chaos at the same time is overwhelming. Cathay clicked for me and I'm having fun as Zhao Ming.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

:thunk:

If you've played the Kairos campaign, you will know why

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

genericnick posted:

Ah, I could have sworn the circle of vainglory promised to raise everyone's level by 10 before the game crashed and I had to pick it again and got 5.

Maybe I’ll send in Khorne and test more thoroughly where the battles are quicker. I was only seeing changes based on the other LL in there. Could be a fluke but it really seemed to change based on N’Kari’s doings and not mine (the other LL in there)

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Randarkman posted:

Anyone else paid some attention to the dragon-blooded lord's close combat attacks? They're pretty wild

I'm consistently amazed at all the high-quality animation work they put in when most players never actually get a chance to see much of it.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Double Bill posted:

I have an AI ahead of me at the moment so I'm chasing his lord with an agent and closing portals. also gonna wipe him off the map in a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Yeah dont worry about the kislev rivalry as katarina, just slap a supporter building in each minor settlement, its good for devotion and order anyways. Kos (or some say, Kostaltyn) has an initial lead but unless he balls out hard he'll be plateaued on supporter income pretty quickly