Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Barreft posted:

I still wouldn't doubt it being a success. People are loving stupid. Musk is the richest person ever in history. Humans are just dumb as poo poo and we'll never evolve past it. Luckily we're doing our best to make ourselves extinct.

For it to become what they want it to be, those lovely headsets need to be as ubiquitous as cellphones and used just as much. It's never gonna happen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

pnumoman posted:

For it to become what they want it to be, those lovely headsets need to be as ubiquitous as cellphones and used just as much. It's never gonna happen

It makes no difference if it doesn't become what it was meant to. I'm talking pure money profit as a success. I don't think there will ever be a FB-verse, neither does Facebook. Just like I don't think Star Citizen/NFTS/Bitcoins/Tesla,Boring,SpaceX are ever going to deliver anything.

People are still stupid as poo poo and make them crazy amounts of money.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
"Your Grandkids Actually Respect You Simulator" might be what turns it around.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Barreft posted:

It makes no difference if it doesn't become what it was meant to. I'm talking pure money profit as a success. I don't think there will ever be a FB-verse, neither does Facebook. Just like I don't think Star Citizen/NFTS/Bitcoins/Tesla,Boring,SpaceX are ever going to deliver anything.

People are still stupid as poo poo and make them crazy amounts of money.

SpaceX is already working (That's because Musk is too much of an idiot to even pretend that he is a rocket scientist).

I don't think that Metaverse will ever be profitable enough to justify the amount of resources Facebook is investing in it. At best it will be moderately profitable, but at the cost of losing focus on Facebook's main business.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

Yeah, about that...

https://decrypt.co/92142/gamestop-immutable-x-tokens-dump-ethereum-nft

Well, seemed to work out for them!

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

:lmao:
https://twitter.com/polarply/status/1489574132505317380?s=20&t=C1w4XG9MCHkE-I0bt05vZg

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Feb 5, 2022

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
loving :lol:

https://www.pcgamer.com/nft-marketplace-halts-transactions-due-to-rampant-counterfeiting/

Also the Team17 NFT thing seems to have continued backlash within the company as more common things like the CEO making a bajillion dollars while leaning on peons is a thing.

Unionization now!

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

INTERVIEW: PLATINUMGAMES DOESN’T WANT TO BE KNOWN AS ‘JUST THE ACTION GAME COMPANY’

VGC posted:

NFT and blockchain have become a popular trend among corporations. What’s Platinum’s interest, if any?

Inaba: We haven’t really been thinking about that. I understand it’s a hot topic right now and it’s really starting to gain momentum, but the way that it’s gained momentum has been focused on profitability for the company, but with no positive impact on the creators or the users in any sense. So that’s frustrating to see happening.

The people who are trying to promote NFTs and partner with gaming companies, their conversations seem extremely one-sided. ‘Hey, you’re going to make money!’ But how does it benefit the user or the creator? If I want to spend my time on something, I want it to benefit making good games.

As content gets more and more digital, I do think that NFT as a concept will gain more importance, but I think that the early adopters are just seeing it as a way to profit as much as possible. That’s not something I’m interested in being part of, to be honest.

Were you surprised to see Konami get involved in NFTs so quickly?

Kamiya: Not really. If it smells like money, Konami’s going to be there in a heartbeat!

Honestly, I have zero interest in this subject. I think what Inaba-san just said really resonated with me because I consider myself a user at heart, more than a businessman. It doesn’t have any benefit for users at the moment. In the future, if it’s expanded in a way that has a positive side for users, then maybe I’ll start to be interested in what they do with it. But I’m not seeing that at the moment.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
What a shitheel interviewer for fishing but props to those dudes for dunking on Konami.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I like how these days, especially outside of the discussions about games, NFTs are just becoming "It's Kickstarter except there's no product, we're just delivering some backer rewards"

I know a NFTBro who poured his savings into creating and launching an NFT line which launched last month. To make it even dumber and consolidate it down to an even worse audience it is a Hot Sauce NFT. What do you get for owning them? Well, upon reaching certain dollar amounts sold, owners get entered in a raffle to win... weird Kickstarter-type backer rewards like hot sauce holsters, free hot sauce mailed to you, and uhh... I guess if they make enough money they say they'll start a Hot Sauce convention?

I just checked it out and a month later their social media accounts are still making daily posts about how they're about to sell out (of the 10,000 in the set) and this might be your last chance to get one so you better act quick. Except NFTs all have public ledgers lmao, so I looked it up and they have sold... one. For $300.

When all these AAA devs launch their NFT marketplaces, things like preorder bonuses or collectors edition bonuses or kickstarter rewards are going to be replaced by NFTs. It's going to be another way for publishers to cut costs. And I can already see some of them not even allowing you to log into the game and play until you create an account on their marketplace and connect it to a wallet to store your NFTs.

e: Also looking at a lot of terrible affiliated NFT projects, "We will create a world in Metaverse!" seems to be one of the most common top-level rewards for them selling their entire set which just compounds on how bafflingly funny all of this is to me. It's like if the project is fully funded, that is when they'll start to conceptualize an end product.

I keep imagining it as a Kickstarter campaign:
"Hi Kickstarter! Our goal is $3,000,000 and if we get it, we'll make a video game. It will probably be an RPG or some kind of FPS and most likely science-fiction themed! When we reach the goal we'll sit down and figure it out and let you know"

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Feb 17, 2022

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Mildly related but I was watching a video on my phone where I can't adblock YouTube and the ad I had to sit through five seconds of warned me not to invest my money in stocks or even crypto, but in the next big thing: digital real estate.

I looked it up because my initial (extremely correct) thought was this was a nice way to phrase domain squatting. Turns out not only is this trend about domain squatting and similar, but there are literal games that feature plots of land in them you can buy for millions of real dollars. Which... I literally cannot fathom someone that stupid.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Mildly related but I was watching a video on my phone where I can't adblock YouTube and the ad I had to sit through five seconds of warned me not to invest my money in stocks or even crypto, but in the next big thing: digital real estate.

I looked it up because my initial (extremely correct) thought was this was a nice way to phrase domain squatting. Turns out not only is this trend about domain squatting and similar, but there are literal games that feature plots of land in them you can buy for millions of real dollars. Which... I literally cannot fathom someone that stupid.

E A R T H 2

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

that 'software' is hilarious for how much they saw star citizen and was like "how can we do that, but promise even less"

Coeurl Marx
Oct 9, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Lammasu posted:

This NFT thing reminds me of emu ranching in the 90s. Huge money was moved selling them for breading but no one actually ate them.

Way back in the thread but what the gently caress. I remember we had one around here when I was young, they sold emu jerky and had their bigass eggs on display. I had no idea it was some crazy fad, I thought it was just the product of a local crazy or something. The last I ever remember hearing about it, some of the Emus had broken out and were continually outsmarting local cops lmao.

Thanks for the insight on some very weird childhood memories.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

There's not even a game yet most of the time, just a website where you can buy land parcels.

ETA: Something I'm not understanding is all this play to earn stuff.
I suspect this means I'm actually understanding that it's a scam but anyway:
For you to be able to earn money, the money has to come from somewhere. So if we use dollars, those have to come from somewhere, simply generating a crypto or nft doesn't make dollars appear, someone has to be willing to pay for the token. It's not going to be the game developers/publishers because why the gently caress would they? So then that leaves your fellow players buying your stuff, but I somehow suspect that most stuff won't be worth poo poo and also now your whole premise of value is built upon getting more suckers into the game so you can cash out. Is this really it?

organburner fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Feb 17, 2022

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Yes, the "earning" requires someone to pay in to buy your poo poo. You know, the most basic of MLM/pyramid type scams.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Folding Ideas' recent video on NFT's is worth watching in its entirety but it's kind of two hours long. Even still, I 100% would recommend sitting down and watching it because it explains not only NFT's but crypto itself and the inherent problems with both at length.

But it has a section on pay-to-earn which is wonderfully expository on just how predatory and disgusting it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQ_xWvX1n9g&t=5909s

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
Those pay2earn games just seem like the same poo poo as Entropia Universe to me, which has been running for 19 years

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

Last I checked that weird pokemon like cost like 450$ to start playing and if this is the future people want for gaming, lol.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
The game is Axie Infinity. And you can actually start 'playing' for free if you find one of those $450 dweebs to sponsor you by loaning you their pokemans (in exchange for half of the money you earn).

So the people who spend money don't even play pokemon, they just become a videogame sweatshop operator cracking a whip at an army of third world gamers to get their ranked matches in for the day, then taking a cut of those people's earnings in hopes of paying back their initial investment.

Playing as a full time job gets you a bit less than the Filipino minimum wage.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Shot:
The virtual real estate boom is turning the metaverse into the Wild West. And it has the true believers on edge.

quote:

It wouldn’t be until the modern crypto movement began accelerating in the last few years, with the popularization of NFTs and more recently the hype around the metaverse, that the concept of investing in virtual land would go from inexplicable to the next big gaming gold rush. In that context, Somnium is just one of a growing number of metaverse platforms that have been making headlines of late because of the mind-boggling amounts of money pouring in. Others include SoftBank-funded The Sandbox, Decentraland and Cryptovoxels, forming what you could think of as a “Big Four” in the metaverse real estate market.

Behind these platforms, all of which have big aspirations to create a decentralized future for the internet, there are scores of companies that are treating this like the internet’s new American frontier, ripe for the taking so long as you buy the right land at the right time for the right price. Over $500 million in real estate was sold on metaverse platforms in 2021, CNBC reported, and prices have soared by as much as 500% in recent months.

Companies like Republic Realm, which just this week received a $60 million funding round led by Andreessen Horowitz and spun off a new real estate arm, and Tokens.com are spending millions on artificially scarce parcels of virtual land. These firms, like real-world developers, have ambitions to build luxury virtual condos for the tech savvy and ultrarich and invest in commercial spaces for brand activations, shopping centers and entertainment venues, all inside competing metaverse platforms that are potentially years, if not decades, away from mainstream adoption. Though it’s made of code, the land is not limitless, as Decentraland, Somnium and others restrict the supply.

“Imagine if you came to New York when it was farmland, and you had the option to get a block of SoHo,” Michael Gord, a co-founder of the virtual real estate firm The Metaverse Group, told The New York Times last fall. “If someone wants to buy a block of real estate in SoHo today, it’s priceless, it’s not on the market. That same experience is going to happen in the metaverse.” Gord, whose company is a subsidiary of Tokens.com, is bullish on Decentraland, predicting it could one day become “the most populated city on Earth, and also perhaps the most desirable real estate on Earth,” he told Motherboard last month.

Chaser:
Metaverse Real Estate "Boom" Actually Has All The Makings Of A Bubble

quote:

Whenever you read these breathless media reports of a "boom" or a "gold rush", my advice is to immediately check how many actual people these platforms are attracting in terms of monthly active and/or peak concurrent users. Because on those metrics, this "Big Four" is actually quite small:
  • Somnium Space's peak user concurrency on Steam over the last year was... 16 people total.
  • Decentraland, as its co-founder told me recently, has about 300,000 monthly active users... but a peak concurrency of 2,500. (I.E. most of its monthly user base does not log in very often.)
  • The Sandbox recently reported a monthly active userbase of just 30,000 monthly active users.
  • Crytovoxel's homepage reports that its most visited Popular Parcel attracted monthly total visits... below 25,000 for the entire month, with most other parcels attracting far less visits. Since total unique users are likely to be much less than that of total visits, Cryptovoxel probably has a monthly active user base in the low five figures at most.
Media reports of a "metaverse real estate boom" rarely mention the user numbers of these platforms, probably because their paltry usage rates pretty much demolish their thesis. It's not a boom if it only attracts greater and greater speculation, but no growing market of consumers to capitalize on that investment. And it's irresponsible for reporters to only report how much cryptocurrency is being invested into these platforms, and not the looming danger of low user activity.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Aren't most of these just straight up money laundering?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

MH Knights posted:

Aren't most of these just straight up money laundering?

Their bigger fool scams too. Why not link all your dirty stuff together?

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Coeurl Marx posted:

Way back in the thread but what the gently caress. I remember we had one around here when I was young, they sold emu jerky and had their bigass eggs on display. I had no idea it was some crazy fad, I thought it was just the product of a local crazy or something. The last I ever remember hearing about it, some of the Emus had broken out and were continually outsmarting local cops lmao.

Thanks for the insight on some very weird childhood memories.

I'm kind of surprised they arn't trying to bring it back. Emu meat seems like a nice compromise between the high carbon footprint of beef and eating God damned bugs.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Lammasu posted:

I'm kind of surprised they arn't trying to bring it back. Emu meat seems like a nice compromise between the high carbon footprint of beef and eating God damned bugs.

It’s not easy to cook though. It really won’t ever catch on.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

MarcusSA posted:

It’s not easy to cook though. It really won’t ever catch on.

Is it harder to cook than bugs?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Lammasu posted:

Is it harder to cook than bugs?

Kinda about the same. I’ve cooked a lot of emu and it’s definitely not a replacement for beef. The beyond stuff tastes a lot better.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

quote:

Republic Realm, to its credit, doesn’t seem to really care. “There’s plenty of people that also think bitcoin’s a scam,” CEO Janine Yorio told Motherboard last month. “Meanwhile, the crypto investors are driving around in Lamborghinis and living their best lives.”

that's exactly how the scam works, actually.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

https://www.forbes.com/sites/seansteinsmith/2022/02/20/crypto-tax-planning-can-help-investors-avoid-unpleasant-surprises/

This Forbes article about upcoming tax regulation on crypto assets in the US pointed out something that I hadn't considered before. Any transfer of a crypto asset that has attached real-world monetary value, even an NFT of a sword that you got as a drop in an Ubisoft game that rotted in your inventory, incurs real-world tax liability.

So if some parents buy their kid the newest Ubisoft game and and that kid played the game a ton and earned a lot of in-game items that all have attached real-world monetary value in the Ubisoft Marketplace, the children (or their parents, in certain circumstances) will become legally responsible for reporting them as income to the IRS that year. Also there's no age limit on this, it is purely based on a monetary threshold (It was $1100 in 2021)

A) Lol
and B) There's no way Ubisoft (or other big publishers) would open themselves up to the legal ramifications of providing tax documentation and advice, which most likely means that they will not allow a real-world value to be attached to their game NFTs, which makes this entire thing just a vastly more complicated and ecologically-irresponsible way of handling in-game inventories.

That or it's going to be some system where you get a sword as a drop and a notification pops up offering to sell you an NFT version of that sword for $8.99 or whatever - something where the NFT is not actually attached to or integrated with the actual game in the first place. I don't think any game publisher will actually operate an NFT marketplace for their game inventories for more than one tax year, tops.

Imagine having to send the IRS and itemized list of all the drops you got in video games that year

e: I can't wait to see all the news stories about crypto bros being arrested for loving up their taxes, lmao

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Feb 22, 2022

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Is anyone able to explain how the NFT's themselves are ecologically damaging?

My limited understanding is that they are only because they require crypto to mint and because they're run on the blockchain which means there need to be multiple always-on systems that eat electricity.

But unlike crypto, which requires a loving Norway amount of electricity running full tilt 24/7 to generate the funny money, the NFT's are just minted and cost the funny money to make, therefore making them second-hand environmental disasters.

Is this not actually the case and are they inherently worse than even that?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

NFTs are crypto.

They don't exist separate from crypto - they are simply the newest way that crypto is trying to build legitimacy for itself and attract bagholders. Minting an NFT is minting crypto - they don't exist separate from that ecosystem, they directly participate and perpetuate it.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Also if you think it's just a one-time environmental cost to create them, you are mistaken. The ethereum/etc networks which they need to exist consume massive amounts of electricity just to continue not collapsing, and the second they stop consuming that electricity your nft no longer works and can't be bought or sold. Even if you buy and hold your monkey jpeg and never ever trade it, you still need the network running full tilt 24/7 just for it to stay online so that you can trade it later.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Is anyone able to explain how the NFT's themselves are ecologically damaging?

My limited understanding is that they are only because they require crypto to mint and because they're run on the blockchain which means there need to be multiple always-on systems that eat electricity.

But unlike crypto, which requires a loving Norway amount of electricity running full tilt 24/7 to generate the funny money, the NFT's are just minted and cost the funny money to make, therefore making them second-hand environmental disasters.

Is this not actually the case and are they inherently worse than even that?

Here's a well-researched article about it
https://memoakten.medium.com/the-unreasonable-ecological-cost-of-cryptoart-2221d3eb2053

To be fair to NFTs and crypto, some alternate, low-carbon-impact NFT blockchains have been created in the days since this article. There's no data that I've seen on their carbon impact but it's presumptuously lower than this article posits. One thing for example that they do now is they don't actually "mint" them until they are transacted for the first time - which zeroes the carbon impact of NFTs that go forever unsold (unless the creator decides to pay an ethereum gas fee of like $30-100 to mint it when they first create it)

quote:

A single NFT can involve many transactions. These include minting, bidding, cancelling, sales and transfer of ownership. If we were to break down the footprint by transaction type, we get (details in Part 2):
Minting: 142 kWh, 83 KgCO2
Bids: 41 kWh, 24 KgCO2
Cancel Bid: 12 kWh, 7 KgCO2
Sale: 87 kWh, 51 KgCO2
Transfer of ownership: 52 kWh, 30 KgCO2

This generally pushes the footprint of a single NFT into hundreds of kWh, and hundreds of KgCO2 emissions, and often higher.

In fact, of the ~18000 CryptoArt NFTs that I analyzed, the average NFT has a footprint of around 340 kWh, 211 KgCO2 (details in Part 2).
This single NFT’s footprint is equivalent to a EU resident’s total electric power consumption for more than a month, with emissions equivalent to driving for 1000Km, or flying for 2 hours.

If you apply the same numbers to the total number of NFTs on OpenSea alone (more than 80 million, and it's just one of the major NFT marketplaces) that is 16,000,000 kg (1763 tons) of co2 equivalent energy use that OpenSea has pumped into the atmosphere where it will remain for 300-1000 years.

For accurate context, that is only 0.016% of the total emissions of the global financial industry in 2020 which was about 10 billion tons - but it's still an absolute shitload of emissions for goddamn NFTs, from the very, very tiny portion of the population that actually engages with them in any sort of way.

The author originally posted it on this site but received so much harassment, cyberstalking and abuse from crypto bros they had to shut the site down:
http://cryptoart.wtf/#list=nfts
It has links to sources of newer research than what's in the article.

Sierra Club put out a good study of carbon emissions of the US financial sector, this problem is not limited to NFTs or Crypto (they just have much higher per-transaction costs), in general banking and financial transactions are one of the single biggest contributors to humanity's CO2 emissions :eng101:
(their entire website about it is here: https://www.carbonbubble.net/)

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Feb 22, 2022

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

note that when people say the global financial industry is responsible for 10 billion tonnes of emissions that's primarily the emissions of the industries that the finance sector invests in, not the costs of simply running a bank and processing transactions like it is with crypto.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
BUY BUY BUY BUY BUY!

https://www.thecable.ng/crypto-market-loses-250bn-in-hours-as-russia-attacks-ukraine/

Also, note how those silly crypto coins don't have an intrinsic value and are thus subject to ridiculous market speculation deciding their worth. Whereas your glorious monkey NFT remains a link to a monkey JPG no matter what! Checkmate, doubters!

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

Earth 2 recently released a video showcasing their amazing proprietary tech!
A youtuber said "lol this is easy as gently caress to do"
Earth 2 ceo challenged the youtuber to do it in 7 days then.
This is the result:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ejv8FatWa3c

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

organburner posted:

This is the result:

:lmao:

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Axie was hacked for $600m https://www.theverge.com/2022/3/29/23001620/sky-mavis-axie-infinity-ronin-blockchain-validation-defi-hack-nft

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

organburner posted:

This is the result:

This is funny as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
drat this dude with the Elon Musk quote picture on his wall seems cool as gently caress