Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
I'm really enjoying this. The granular difficulty options are amazing, the visuals and audio are incredible, and the story's got me hooked. I understand why a few folks feel there's "too much" sci-fi, though I'm personally up for it.

I also like how plentiful the hunting is in comparison to HZD. I remember having to run around in a given area for longer than I wanted to find a given quarry, but here the only hard part is finding which part of the map something's at. Once you're there, they respawn quick, and there are typically other quarries in the area I need as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Phenotype posted:

Hey, has anyone tried out the Warrior Bow yet? It says it's fast-firing, but it does so much less damage than the Hunter Bow that I didn't bother buying it since I didn't want to commit to upgrading it to test it out properly.

I love the warrior bow but you gotta inflict Brittle on machines first then it poops out damage, even more reliably than the boltblaster on brittle targets IMO. It's a fast firing pistol.

The weapon that I still haven't gotten my head around is the Shredder, I can't find a niche the other weapons haven't already filled. The best new weapon is definitely the Spike Thrower

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

isk posted:

I also like how plentiful the hunting is in comparison to HZD. I remember having to run around in a given area for longer than I wanted to find a given quarry, but here the only hard part is finding which part of the map something's at. Once you're there, they respawn quick, and there are typically other quarries in the area I need as well.

This is 100% anecdotal, but while I agree that the animals seem way more plentiful, it feels like the drop rate for the rarer animal parts seems lower. I'm a ways in and I've been shooting bunches of animals went time I see them, but I'm still short on parts needed for any of the pouch upgrades.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
surely there are other parents ITT who only get to play a little bit each day and just got to Chainscrape, lol

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
one of the things i really love about this game is i'm much more interested in the tribal politics than i was in the first game. its still not nearly as compelling as the main plot but everytime i start to cool on it they throw an amazing set piece or incredible character at me. there's one tribe leader that's genuinely one of the best written leader types ive seen in a game. they're actually thoughtful and forward thinking and their biggest flaw is mercy. it makes the politics stuff so much more compelling when there are great characters in the mix.

isk posted:

I'm really enjoying this. The granular difficulty options are amazing, the visuals and audio are incredible, and the story's got me hooked. I understand why a few folks feel there's "too much" sci-fi, though I'm personally up for it.

too much sci-fi is my favorite complaint. it really says a lot about your expectations if you hopped into a game with post post apocalyptic robot dinos and out of control AI believing it's gonna be light on sci fi elements.

also there's no such thing, we've got tons of fantasy games, give me more insane sci fi poo poo.

oh there's definitely a god of war easter egg in here. you can get Kratos facepaint

The Postman
May 12, 2007

I love forgetting to spend my skill points and then going on a shopping spree.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

The Postman posted:

I love forgetting to spend my skill points and then going on a shopping spree.

Same, just looking up in the corner and seeing I somehow have a dozen points sitting there is pretty fun.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

zakharov posted:

surely there are other parents ITT who only get to play a little bit each day and just got to Chainscrape, lol

Yes. I’m past chainscrape but I have a three day weekend and where that used to mean poop-socking a game like this I’m probably gonna get through Death’s Door and that’s it.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

VanillaGorilla posted:

Buddy, I wish that it was just about quest dialogue but I’ve heard multiple critics take the game to task because there’s too much incidental dialogue from Aloy. Specifically, people said that Aloy “solved puzzles” for them, something I haven’t seen happen in at least 20H with the game so far.

Like I guess I agree that it’s excessive - for me as a person who plays games like this all the time - but I’m also not an rear end in a top hat and I can see why they have Aloy comment frequently - it’s probably pretty helpful for people who don’t typically play games like this.

And it doesn’t detract from the achievement that is the game as a whole. Much like the multitude of idiosyncratic elements in Breath of the Wild don’t. That game had a lot of individual pieces that were really poo poo - but the package as a whole was a marvel.

oh lol, who tf is getting mad about that, unobtrusive instructions are a _good thing_

it's annoying when they (apparently? maybe im blind) bug out--aloy commenting on the use of bluegleam when none was round in frozen wilds comes to mind--but they're almost always fine. im not playing this game for the puzzles, i can play into the breach or w/e for that. puzzles in horizon are pacing breaks, not the reason you play the game

in unrelated news, gyro aiming is making not having a mouse a lot more tolerable, though it's real annoying in focus mode

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
I finished the first game before the DLC came out, then just did the DLC late last year. And I know it was harder anyways but it was harder.. Now playing this I’m realizing I had forgotten half the abilities I’d had like nocking three arrows and stuff that probably would have made it more reasonable lol.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Captain Hygiene posted:

This is 100% anecdotal, but while I agree that the animals seem way more plentiful, it feels like the drop rate for the rarer animal parts seems lower. I'm a ways in and I've been shooting bunches of animals went time I see them, but I'm still short on parts needed for any of the pouch upgrades.

From my experience running Zero Dawn right before release, the drop rate for parts feels much higher here.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Man, maybe my Aloy's just bad at rooting around in animal carcasses, who knows

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

FireWorksWell posted:

From my experience running Zero Dawn right before release, the drop rate for parts feels much higher here.

Agreed, although this might change now that I'm leaving Chainscrape? But I got all the stuff I needed out of the animals around Chainscrape pretty easily, now I'm just waiting to find parts on animals I've never even seen before. On the robot side, it seems like all the stuff you need for upgrades are 100% drops as long as you shoot the component off the robot, which is a huge improvement. I hope this doesn't change later on, I was not a fan of needing to kill a random number of Ravagers til I found one that dropped the heart I needed.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

There’s an accessibility option called “easy loot” that allows you to get the carves off bots even if you don’t blow off components which is pretty rad if you don’t love trying to grind for drops.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Captain Hygiene posted:

Man, maybe my Aloy's just bad at rooting around in animal carcasses, who knows

She is more adept at dissembling mechanized beasts, she has no idea about biological ones.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

For some reason I could just not get this jump to work:
https://i.imgur.com/BJocZZZ.mp4
I tried so many times until I got it almost by accident.

CuriousSymptoms
Jul 18, 2004

Those Goddamn Rainbows Are At It Again

I think Aloy's chattiness is really charming, I love hearing what she has to say about stuff, she keeps me company :allears:

There's been more than one instance where I've also found it super useful, e.g. 'Huh, I can't get through this with the tools I have, I guess I'll have to see if I can find something to help and come back later' translating to 'thank you, game, for in-character telling me not to waste twenty minutes sniffing around and getting frustrated here'. I do wonder if some folks who are so jaded with modern games that they critique tiny details just to feel something really need to go out and touch grass a bit to make them appreciate what they've got. (Not saying anything about legit and valid criticism here, just about inconsequential Gamer Whining.)

Dpulex posted:

The climbing and platforming is genuinely awful and deserves criticism. The environment has no readability at all and does things worse than 3rd person games from 10 years ago

YMMV of course but I've had no problems with it and I am a filthy casual.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Should I even bother to upgrade the initial green armor? Will she get better armor soon and it will be a waste of resources?

Also can we respec later? Idk what I am taking now for skills will be worth it

Upgrade the weapons you use a lot and some decent armor. The game starts out pretty tough and you'll need as much of an edge as you can get. But you don't need to break the bank upgrading absolutely everything.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Alhazred posted:

For some reason I could just not get this jump to work:
https://i.imgur.com/BJocZZZ.mp4
I tried so many times until I got it almost by accident.

That entire section took me way too long. As much as the climbing and jumping has been expanded, I'm convinced there's a bit more bugginess in terms of Aloy correctly grabbing or launching onto stuff.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Captain Hygiene posted:

That entire section took me way too long. As much as the climbing and jumping has been expanded, I'm convinced there's a bit more bugginess in terms of Aloy correctly grabbing or launching onto stuff.
There's one jump in particular in that room that I kept trying and missing, and it turned out the solution was climbing on top of the pole instead of jumping directly from it, even though both looked like they should be possible.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I've fallen a few times when just walking across gapped planks, there is definitely some jankiness to the navigation.

edit: I'm really happy that they've tuned down fall damage though, I can't remember if I've even died to a fall so far in this game

ymgve fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Feb 20, 2022

CuriousSymptoms
Jul 18, 2004

Those Goddamn Rainbows Are At It Again

ymgve posted:

I've fallen a few times when just walking across gapped planks, there is definitely some jankiness to the navigation.

I *have* been playing a lot of Demons' Souls lately, maybe I'm actually playing more paranoid than I usually would or need to and consequently missing this stuff.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
general word of advice. collect all those little cliffside flowers you see. they're for dyes for your armor so if you wanna play dress up with aloy you'll need a decent amount

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

I suspected we would go there in this game, but I was not ready for Thebes :stare:

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Relentlessboredomm posted:

general word of advice. collect all those little cliffside flowers you see. they're for dyes for your armor so if you wanna play dress up with aloy you'll need a decent amount

I love the pink color scheme

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Doctor Hospital posted:

I suspected we would go there in this game, but I was not ready for Thebes :stare:

Broke: Ted Faro is dead.
Woke: Ted Faro is alive.
Aloy: Ted Faro is alive and oh god he wishes he wasn't.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

oh lol, who tf is getting mad about that, unobtrusive instructions are a _good thing_

it isn't unobtrusive. she never shuts up, especially in story areas. every jump, every handhold, every door lock, aloy's muttering about it before they even show up on the camera. i know that mass-market games need a certain amount of handholding, but this is a degree that suggests either insecurity for the game design or contempt for the player's intelligence. with all those accessibility settings, they couldn't have one to reduce the frequency of hints? it's like the last guardian's awful tooltips all over again

all that said, it's still a minor complaint in the grand scheme of things, but it's so persistent that it's like being gently poked on the back of the head every two minutes

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Relentlessboredomm posted:

"If"?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

So far one of my favorite moment was when the names of the land gods was revealed: You first meet one after Death's Door and learn that it's name is Re. Which is is completely reasonable name for someone that is revered. Then you learn that the other land gods are named Fa, Do, and Mi.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the moss textures on surfaces in ancient ruins are very impressive and gross me out far more than anything I ever saw in TLOU2

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

That strike player in the Bulwark isn't loving around, I have to get a lot better pieces to compete against OP Ravagers.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I can't even beat the beginner strike person you find first I hope there's no trophies attached lol

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Alhazred posted:

So far one of my favorite moment was when the names of the land gods was revealed: You first meet one after Death's Door and learn that it's name is Re. Which is is completely reasonable name for someone that is revered. Then you learn that the other land gods are named Fa, Do, and Mi.

You can learn from a data file when you're climbing the satellite dish to get to the first Tallneck that that's what the guy who ran the facility nicknamed the dishes.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Phenotype posted:

Agreed, although this might change now that I'm leaving Chainscrape? But I got all the stuff I needed out of the animals around Chainscrape pretty easily, now I'm just waiting to find parts on animals I've never even seen before. On the robot side, it seems like all the stuff you need for upgrades are 100% drops as long as you shoot the component off the robot, which is a huge improvement. I hope this doesn't change later on, I was not a fan of needing to kill a random number of Ravagers til I found one that dropped the heart I needed.

I just got to the next series of animal parts and it was just as quick; two peccary bones in row even. There's some kills that don't drop any parts but more often than not I find one. I once killed 17 boars for a skin once in Zero Dawn before giving up.

There's a few machine parts needed that are rng drops, but if you make it a Job, it sends you to the closest site of that machine, and if that site doesn't have it you'll get an auto reroute to the nearest after that.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

As far as I can tell, the parts that require you to break off a piece of the machine are always a 100% drop.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I like hearing Aloy chatter because I enjoy hearing Ashly Burch's voice.

I'm glad I'm playing this on story though. I feel I'm a lot worse at combat than I was in HZD. Plus I won't have to keep switching armors and can keep ones that look cool instead of all silly.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I’m on Hard and if I lose control of a situation for more than a few seconds it’s usually a quick ticket to the Game Over screen

doesn’t help that the new weapon system is making my usual strategy of “use rope caster, triple nock arrows, and blow up whatever’s left” a lot less effective

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

It feels like ranged combat is much weaker in this, while I'm a god of death in melee. The melee skills feel a lot more impactful. This may just be a VH thing though with how much bots move around and how bad I am at actually aiming.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Difficulty is weird on Normal, I'll cruise through most stuff then just find one random thing that will body me utterly over and over again, last one was one those crab container carrier things in the first Cauldron you can get to.

They have a mean right hook and start going loving nuts at low health.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Combat started getting a little easier for me once I began investing some skillpoints in melee. The resonator blast and critical strikes you get from knockdowns are really quite powerful but you have to have some points in the tree to ever see them do anything. My old trick of laying down a thousand tripwires before each encounter has been severely nerfed so Aloy has to mix things up with her spear fairly often.