Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

pippy posted:

The aggressor here is Russia, you're nearly always going to be correct just assuming everything that paints them in a positive light in this conflict is untrue.

... Their cops are better at following masking rules than American ones?

https://twitter.com/ASLuhn/status/1495367206384934912

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

https://twitter.com/SlavaMalamud/status/1495383396196962310?t=zjYrjImq7XJrEajXIX1RLg&s=19

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Mebh posted:

So with Russia being pretty good at modern disinformation campaigns online (as evidenced by hoky poo poo the arguments about this across the entire Internet) I'm assuming taking nearly everything I read with a massive pinch of salt.

This is a massive military maneuver threatening the largest land war in two decades being used as a disinformation weapon to Pwn the world online.

Neal Stephenson's Seveneves includes a future where generals are beautiful media-friendly pundit personalities reporting live from conflicts to sway public opinion. I can see that happening in the Western world, but Russia is pushing for the opposite. Seed the field with faceless, conflicting information and rely on partisans choosing whatever lane of propaganda they're comfortable with.

Seven years ago it was vacationing Russians without identification who managed to annex Crimea. Online it's still somehow inexplicable how they all ended up there.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

imagine getting mad at finnish people. just watching them drunkenly shout Perkele while reading donald duck comics in their saunas and getting mad as hell.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

is it possible that the whole thing is really about gaining military control of belarus more than pressuring ukraine?

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/idreesali114/status/1495405260118138883?s=20&t=wJT3dm30CRkBxuYOaw3sVQ

They'd still have the euro!

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Shibawanko posted:

is it possible that the whole thing is really about gaining military control of belarus more than pressuring ukraine?

Zero.

Belarus and Russia already signed comprehensive integration treaties. They have even begun referring themselves as a Union State.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

I can't find the video, but the announcer claims he said 'misfortune snatched the medals with its little rat paws', not Finns.

Conspiratiorist posted:

Zero.

Belarus and Russia already signed comprehensive integration treaties. They have even begun referring themselves as a Union State.

The Union State exists since 1999. The integration moves at a glacial pace since. The recently signed roadmaps were in development for almost ten years, and in the meantime Russia and Belarus can't even make mobile phone calls roaming free between the two countries. Both sides exploit integration for their own gains, but there are obvious non-starters that Putin and Lukashenko have in scope of full integration. Lukashenko, for example, wants Minsk to be able to print Russian roubles, and Putin wants Russian oligarchs to be able to buy out Belarusian state-owned factories. The Union State is more of a PR project for the USSR-minded audiences at home, while the real economical and legal unification happens through the Eurasian Economic Union.

Paladinus fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Feb 20, 2022

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
My current guess is that Putin will launch something that looks like an invasion of entire Ukraine, but when the smoke clears, only Donetsk and Luhansk will stay occupied. He hopes that the west will accept this as a compromise and only hit him with sanctions.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Something like that. I believe they'll go further, but Western media has seeded the optics that occupying Kyiv is a war goal and therefore refraining from doing so, especially when you didn't want to do it anyway, works perfectly as a compromise to consolidate your other gains.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

BoldFace posted:

My current guess is that Putin will launch something that looks like an invasion of entire Ukraine, but when the smoke clears, only Donetsk and Luhansk will stay occupied. He hopes that the west will accept this as a compromise and only hit him with sanctions.

"The West" is only going to react with sanctions whatever he does, because no one wants to start WW3 with nukes over Ukraine.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

BoldFace posted:

What else would the West hit him with?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Trump posted:

What else would the West hit him with?
A SWIFT ban?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

GaussianCopula posted:

"The West" is only going to react with sanctions whatever he does, because no one wants to start WW3 with nukes over Ukraine.

He can hope that the sanctions for "only" taking some land in the east of the country would be merely symbolic.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Grouchio posted:

A SWIFT ban?

That's a sanction

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Grouchio posted:

A SWIFT ban?
Not on the table.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Paladinus posted:

The Union State exists since 1999. The integration moves at a glacial pace since. The recently signed roadmaps were in development for almost ten years, and in the meantime Russia and Belarus can't even make mobile phone calls roaming free between the two countries. Both sides exploit integration for their own gains, but there are obvious non-starters that Putin and Lukashenko have in scope of full integration. Lukashenko, for example, wants Minsk to be able to print Russian roubles, and Putin wants Russian oligarchs to be able to buy out Belarusian state-owned factories. The Union State is more of a PR project for the USSR-minded audiences at home, while the real economical and legal unification happens through the Eurasian Economic Union.

I think there did seem to be a real reduction in Belarus's ability to operate independently lately, but it is because of Luka clinging to power with violence after clearly losing the last election, not the current events... Though current events probably do illustrate how far it has fallen since I doubt he is interested in being part of all this. The Minsk agreements were in Minsk because in 2014-15 he could play at being neutral statesman, after all.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Grouchio posted:

A SWIFT ban?

It would be disruptive, but not something that Russia would be gravely worried about. Russia has its own independent payment system that currently works in Crimea, and there recently was a trial run of it for the entire country without SWIFT. Gas and oil are the only real pressure points for Russia, but obviously other countries also depend on Russian gas and oil.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

OddObserver posted:

I think there did seem to be a real reduction in Belarus's ability to operate independently lately, but it is because of Luka clinging to power with violence after clearly losing the last election, not the current events... Though current events probably do illustrate how far it has fallen since I doubt he is interested in being part of all this. The Minsk agreements were in Minsk because in 2014-15 he could play at being neutral statesman, after all.

Belarusian economy under sanctions heavily depends on Russian loans through the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development. And even there Russia seems to be reluctant to give more than what's needed to pay interest rates on previous loans, pushing for more concessions.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

A representation of the dastardly fin these Russians are always talking about

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Feb 20, 2022

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Paladinus posted:

It would be disruptive, but not something that Russia would be gravely worried about. Russia has its own independent payment system that currently works in Crimea, and there recently was a trial run of it for the entire country without SWIFT. Gas and oil are the only real pressure points for Russia, but obviously other countries also depend on Russian gas and oil.

A SWIFT ban would be aimed at international banking, and would be quite effective.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
https://twitter.com/ignis_fatum/status/1495443063438729219

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

""
Joint Forces Operation: 136 ceasefire violations yesterday. 2 Ukrainian servicemen killed, 5 wounded
""

The totals keep getting magnified.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

https://twitter.com/The_Lookout_N/status/1495436428456644614

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Safe to assume this is unrelated?

I'd guess a job title of 'Russian Regime Enforcer' frequently ends in a riverside retirement?

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
https://twitter.com/SamRamani2/status/1495409476798713858

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Woooooow. Who is that statement for? Because pretty much anyone can disprove that.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
Well gently caress

https://mobile.twitter.com/rolltidebmz/status/1495436933312438273

If my prediction that this was a big bluff does not come true, I hope the earlier prediction that this would be the end of Putin does

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Is this the Nazi militia?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

A big flaming stink posted:

Russian Defense Ministry has put up a notice closing most of the Sea of Azov and airspace above it from midnight Feb 21 till Feb 26.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

Woooooow. Who is that statement for? Because pretty much anyone can disprove that.

Yeah, that's the type of claim that would make even Dugin blush. There's really no context that makes that not a bonkers statement, but I am morbidly curious what it was anyway.

Somaen posted:

Well gently caress

https://mobile.twitter.com/rolltidebmz/status/1495436933312438273

If my prediction that this was a big bluff does not come true, I hope the earlier prediction that this would be the end of Putin does

More anonymous U.S. intelligence sources. I wouldn't assume it's true until an invasion actually, verifiably happens.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Feb 20, 2022

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

No, the red outlined area is the Sea of Azov.

A NOTAM is a notice to air missions. Temporary Danger Area - Surface to unlimited altitude. So I believe that tweet is saying there's a warning issued for all aviation that the area is dangerous at any altitude.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Majorian posted:

Yeah, that's the type of claim that would make even Dugin blush. There's really no context that makes that not a bonkers statement, but I am morbidly curious what it was anyway.

More anonymous U.S. intelligence sources. I wouldn't assume it's true until an invasion actually, verifiably happens.

Yeah at this point, if the invasion is gonna happen, its gonna be spur of the moment. I don't think anyone is going to know the date for sure, and that may be by design.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

The sea is well known for its racist beliefs.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Wistful of Dollars posted:

The sea is well known for its racist beliefs.

The Knot Sea

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
https://twitter.com/shaunwalker7/status/1495441342545149956

It's becoming increasingly clear, imo, that Russia does not want to intervene unless this goes down exactly like Georgia '08 did. That could easily happen, but hopefully Zelensky will continue to prove himself to be a cooler head than Saakashvili.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah at this point, if the invasion is gonna happen, its gonna be spur of the moment. I don't think anyone is going to know the date for sure, and that may be by design.

I'm not a military guy but I'm pretty sure huge invasions don't happen spontaneously being lead by a heroic protagonist to charge especially in a highly vertical authoritarian structure. I'm willing to believe that because so far the US intelligence has shown that their sigint was good, e.g. the chlorine false flag

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Majorian posted:

https://twitter.com/shaunwalker7/status/1495441342545149956

It's becoming increasingly clear, imo, that Russia does not want to intervene unless this goes down exactly like Georgia '08 did. That could easily happen, but hopefully Zelensky will continue to prove himself to be a cooler head than Saakashvili.

That's gotta be interesting for the insurgents, but to be fair the insurgents don't hold power in Donbass, most of the ruling groups are Russian so I doubt them getting upset about this would mean anything.

Somaen posted:

I'm not a military guy but I'm pretty sure huge invasions don't happen spontaneously being lead by a heroic protagonist to charge especially in a highly vertical authoritarian structure. I'm willing to believe that because so far the US intelligence has shown that their sigint was good, e.g. the chlorine false flag

Maybe, but Putin is also the sort of KGB Troll that would release attack orders and then retract them once the US reported on them just to fluster people in the intel community.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

CommieGIR posted:

It has already started. Heavy skirmishing in Donbas was the opener, and Russian vehicles in camouflage with combat designators have been spotted doing combat maneuvering into the border as of last night.

If Ukraine had let slip with their artillery response or any of the false flags had stuck we would already be seeing Russian airstrikes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Somaen posted:

Yes the US goal is to dare Russia to prove them wrong. Russia calls it fear mongering but the point is to be "wrong" to give Russia the off ramp if they want it.