Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Just gotta find the right argument to use with the IRS that all my income is just a series of $0.49 stacks, and all taxation on it should round down to zero. I'll start with the gold fringe on the flag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
Is freetaxusa still the go to for online tax services for people with uncomplicated returns?

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
The IRS Free File Fillable Forms (haha try saying that 5x fast) is free and works pretty well, but you have to learn how the 1040 form works.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

drainpipe posted:

Is freetaxusa still the go to for online tax services for people with uncomplicated returns?

Yes.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

drainpipe posted:

Speaking as someone who filed a couple hundred taxable trades for the first time ever, the go to sure as poo poo ain't Tax Act.

(This is an unpaid endorsement of FreeTaxUSA and insult to Tax Act.)

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
My new job incorrectly had me in the wrong state for a while so I got to file two different state returns to try to claw back that money, and freetaxusa was still fine.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

drainpipe posted:

Let freedom ring with free tax usa

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I make enough money now that I’m above {exist + continuity to emergency fund}.

What do I do with like the couple hundred I can *invest* per month?

I’d like to buy a home but, well, that poo poo ain’t happening.

I recognize there’s an OP with good information but it’s 2022 and the economy is weirder than ever.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I recognize there’s an OP with good information but it’s 2022 and the economy is weirder than ever.

Pathway is still the same. While stuff is weird, the key for long term investing is basically keeping everything diversified , tax savings investments first, and staying the course.

So if you have an emergency fund of whatever you feel you need (at least 6 months is the recommendation), next would be:

-does your employer do a 401k match? If so do this to the max they match first
-fund $6k to Roth IRA. If you can manage it, you have until I think April 14th that you can fund or all of $6k for 2021, and you have all year to funnel savings for 2022.

So looking at it, I would check to make sure you are getting a match, and then after adjusting for that , start on a Roth with Vanguard or Fidelity.

Make sure all funds are index funds with low expense ratios. You can either self balance , or just buy a target date fund if you want Vanguard to do it for you.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

An IRA is probably the optimal place for your money, if you're going to be investing a couple of hundred a month that would presumably total 2000-3000 in a year, which is within the IRA contribution limits. I would recommend Roth contributions, but traditional contributions are also an option. I would set up your IRA through Vanguard, in the absence of a particular reason to go elsewhere. In terms of what to invest in, there's really no better advice than the standard "Target date fund or roll your own mix of index funds if you disagree with the target date allocations." The economy is indeed weirder than ever, but none of us have actionable information about what's going to happen next, so...follow the standard advice :geno:

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Neat-o thank you friends.

Certainly a different strategy than I initially planned: gold, precious gems, firearms, baked beans, nuka cola, etc.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Not to say you're wrong about general weirdness in 2022, but it seems like anytime there's a concrete suggestion for what's weird about the economy today, someone finds a historical period that was weirder. One was someone worried about how concentrated the biggest public companies are in the USA, but if you go back to the early 20th century or something it was way more concentrated.

Meme stocks have always been a thing. Interest rates jump around, or don't, for what feels like ages. It's probably less weird than you think, and the usual advice takes it into account.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

pokeyman posted:

but if you go back to the early 20th century or something it was way more concentrated.

Not to undercut your point but the great depression happened immediately after that.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Neat-o thank you friends.

Certainly a different strategy than I initially planned: gold, precious gems, firearms, baked beans, nuka cola, etc.

Beans should be part of your emergency fund, though the allocation is up to you.

Me? I'm 20% beans / 80% USD.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
still thinkin bout thos beans

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Chad Sexington posted:

Beans should be part of your emergency fund, though the allocation is up to you.

Me? I'm 20% beans / 80% USD.

Worse case scenario you can generate your own gas. Clever plan.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHlEkaXfgMw

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.

It does seem intuitive that passive investing is going to lead to less market churn, poor price discovery and create false growth driven by the index herd.

The question is what is a reasonable alternative for the average investor? This situation seems like an almost inevitable product of capitalism in the Information Age

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

KillHour posted:

Not to undercut your point but the great depression happened immediately after that.

And not to undercut your point, but someone who bought in just before the 1929 crash and held for 30 years did just fine.

In fact, since 1879, any investor who bought (the equivalent of, before 1950s) the S&P500, reinvested dividends and held for at least 15 years, there has only been one time that they lost money. That's going month by month, by the way.

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4380863-149-years-of-higher-returns-for-lower-risk

quote:

Since 1871, investors with a 15-year investment horizon earned a much tighter range of annual returns that fall somewhere between 17.34% and 1.07%. This leads to an interesting question: how many times in history have investors bought the S&P 500, held for fifteen years, reinvested all dividends each month and *lost* money?

Astonishingly (at least in my view), the answer is this: only once in history! Investors who bought the S&P 500 in September 1929, held for 15 years and reinvested all dividends would have earned a return of negative .34% per year for their trouble. Every single other time, for every single month since January 1871 to January 2005, investors who bought the S&P 500, held for 15 years and reinvested dividends each month invariably would have earned money on their investments.
And what about that unlucky investor who bought the S&P 500 in September 1929? She would have earned a positive return if she held her investment for just one more year (a total investment horizon of 16 years) and kept reinvesting dividends each month.

Of course, historical returns are not a guarantee. But if you're in the market for 10+ years your odds are incredibly good, and if they're 15+ years, you're drat near guaranteed to at least not lose money, and on average you'll make like 10% annual return or so.

To get back to the original point, then: despite the market being way more concentrated, going through actual world wars, the great depression, and many other very serious bad events and poo poo, the long-term investor in the American stock market has always done well. Maybe global climate change and ecological collapse will be the final end to that century+ of success within the next 30 or 40 years, I can't prove it won't be, but recent history suggests that it won't be.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

hobbez posted:

It does seem intuitive that passive investing is going to lead to less market churn, poor price discovery and create false growth driven by the index herd.

The question is what is a reasonable alternative for the average investor? This situation seems like an almost inevitable product of capitalism in the Information Age

Yeah that's the kicker. There's really not anything for the average investor that would make any difference. Structurally we seem to have painted ourselves into a corner.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Leperflesh posted:

And not to undercut your point, but someone who bought in just before the 1929 crash and held for 30 years did just fine.

In fact, since 1879, any investor who bought (the equivalent of, before 1950s) the S&P500, reinvested dividends and held for at least 15 years, there has only been one time that they lost money. That's going month by month, by the way.

since you're talking about multi-decade timeframes and people also have access to TIPS funds and inflation-protected bonds today, it helps to also consider real returns instead of just nominal returns.

for example, from its January 1966 peak, it took 29 years for the DJIA to breakeven in real price return:
https://www.macrotrends.net/1319/dow-jones-100-year-historical-chart

that 1929 crash? "just fine" meant zero real price return after 30 years.

markets can go a long time without particularly benefitting investors. but zero real return is better than negative real return!

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

Leperflesh posted:

Except it was impossible to invest in an sp index fund (or any other index fund) until 1975. And a lot of our backward looking returns data suffers heavily from survivorship bias when calculating returns. So in the 1929 example you likely would have been invested in individual stocks which do have the potential to go to zero.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Echoing the advice that a Roth is a good idea for this though you may also have the option to make pre-tax contributions to your retirement plan 403B through payroll if you decide that retirement savings is what you want to do with this money.

You mention wanting to buy a home and the other thing to note about a Roth IRA is that five years after your first contribution you can withdraw your contributions without penalty if you put that money to a first-time home purchase within 120 days of withdrawal, even if you're younger than the normal 59.5 year age requirement on withdrawals. So if another 2008 happens in a few years and you suddenly find yourself able to buy a house, that money is still accessible to you.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yup, those are good points! Also a lot of financial regulation has changed, the markets do not behave today the same as they behaved in 1900, and neither does the US or global economy.

I feel like it's still worth pointing out, though. In the long run, stocks always seem to go up, if you buy them all.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Joementum posted:

Echoing the advice that a Roth is a good idea for this though you may also have the option to make pre-tax contributions to your retirement plan 403B through payroll if you decide that retirement savings is what you want to do with this money.

You mention wanting to buy a home and the other thing to note about a Roth IRA is that five years after your first contribution you can withdraw your contributions without penalty if you put that money to a first-time home purchase within 120 days of withdrawal, even if you're younger than the normal 59.5 year age requirement on withdrawals. So if another 2008 happens in a few years and you suddenly find yourself able to buy a house, that money is still accessible to you.

That’s tight. I did not know that about home purchases. Thank you!

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Don't Roth IRAs allow you to withdraw contributions without penalty regardless?

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Joementum posted:

You can withdraw your Roth IRA contributions at any time without penalty. Don't need to wait 5 years.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Dang learn something everyday

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

hobbez posted:

The question that goes unanswered is: What % of active investors do you need to have to ensure price discovery persists? How high could you crank the ratio of passive investors before there gets to be serious structural problems? Remember, passive investors are price-takers. They don't particularly affect the prince on a daily basis because price discovery happens at the margins. At the same time that you have a massive passive investment base, you have these algorithmic traders riding the edge of instants to scrape fractions of a penny of profit.

If the herd really dies drive detectable 'false' growth then there is a massive, massive arbitrage opportunity.

And then you have to ask: Which index? There is a galaxy of index investment products being sold. The S&P 500 is only one of many. All these 'passive indexes' that people are being persuaded to buy into (and swap between) is active investing by another name.

For the mass of know-nothings to sit their money in the market and do nothing to be a problem, that seems to imply that the only way price discovery works if if you have a bunch of idiots actively trading. Which, if they are actually idiots, would mean they can't introduce much but noise. That's not really how price discovery is meant to function.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

doingitwrong posted:

For the mass of know-nothings to sit their money in the market and do nothing to be a problem, that seems to imply that the only way price discovery works if if you have a bunch of idiots actively trading. Which, if they are actually idiots, would mean they can't introduce much but noise. That's not really how price discovery is meant to function.

Sounds like the whole system falls apart if you effectively remove insider trading.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

nelson posted:

Sounds like the whole system falls apart if you effectively remove insider trading.

That's the part you're not supposed to say out loud.

But basically I don't see how it's not that 99.9% of the time now that we have the ability to communicate information instantaneously to the entire planet all at the same time.

Eyes Only
May 20, 2008

Do not attempt to adjust your set.

doingitwrong posted:

The question that goes unanswered is: What % of active investors do you need to have to ensure price discovery persists? How high could you crank the ratio of passive investors before there gets to be serious structural problems? Remember, passive investors are price-takers. They don't particularly affect the prince on a daily basis because price discovery happens at the margins. At the same time that you have a massive passive investment base, you have these algorithmic traders riding the edge of instants to scrape fractions of a penny of profit.

Within a given index, I don't think it matters how many investors participate in price discovery. It could be 50%, 1%, 0.01%, they will always have 100% control over relative pricing of securities that make up the index. No amount of buying or selling of S&P500 index funds will ever cause, say, Apple's market cap to move relative to IBM's. Indexers can only impact the entire index's overall price level.

If this was an issue then you'd see massive price issues with stocks where the majority of shares sit idle - tons of stocks with founder majority control meet this criteria and yet the world still turns.

Across different indices pricing has always been dictated by the risk tolerances of large institutions (pensions, insurance companies, hedge funds). They're still going to be making their decisions based on the relative risk vs expected return of the various indices.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
mark blyth's point seemed to be less about price discovery and more about the potential for further entrenching systemic inequality and creating new moral hazards when a few players can exercise so much corporate voting power. that topic is more in his wheelhouse. and fair enough, i can't say that i would trust the good intentions of blackrock, but it doesn't seem like something that would blow up the stock market or the global economy. at least not directly

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
I just started a job at an American unversity which gives me access to a 457 and a 403(b). My salary (60k) is not nearly enough to put away 40,000 every year, but I do have some spending money in savings and a non-retirement brokerage account. In this situation, is it correct to live off my savings and reduce my paycheck to a small amount for as long as I can? The 457 and 403 are through Fidelity, so I have access to good funds with low ERs

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
A couple questions:

- I figure this has probably been asked at some point, but: I snagged the HMBradley account that was all the craze awhile back and got their 3% HYS. However, since it's so popular they knocked it down to 1% unless I get a credit card of theirs and spend $100 a month minimum. I was thinking of doing that and then just putting my cable bill or something on there monthly. Is this a good idea / bad idea?
- I get RSUs from my company, and well... I've been very lazy about reinvesting them. They're market sensitive, and probably realized it's time to sell / reinvest / diversify. Is there a good spot on doing this? I can only do these in my trading windows, which isn't too big of a deal. Also, with the economic downturn, my RSU value has lost a lot of money, so I'm not sure if I should wait for recovery or just say gently caress it and start diversifying.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

feelix posted:

I just started a job at an American unversity which gives me access to a 457 and a 403(b). My salary (60k) is not nearly enough to put away 40,000 every year, but I do have some spending money in savings and a non-retirement brokerage account. In this situation, is it correct to live off my savings and reduce my paycheck to a small amount for as long as I can? The 457 and 403 are through Fidelity, so I have access to good funds with low ERs

I don’t quite follow.

an emergency fund is more important than retirement. Are you saying you have an excess savings the you basically want to transfer to your new retirement savings options ?

If so, I would just say make sure you don’t go over board, keeping an emergency savings fund is extremely important , but if you are way over your savings fund, then sure that would be a way to balance it.

Reminder to still do a Roth 401k and factor that in. If you have an excess, you could instantly put away either up to $6k for 2021, or $12k for both 2020 and 2021, which I think would be a better first step than doing the transfer I think you are proposing.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

doingitwrong posted:

If the herd really dies drive detectable 'false' growth then there is a massive, massive arbitrage opportunity.

And then you have to ask: Which index? There is a galaxy of index investment products being sold. The S&P 500 is only one of many. All these 'passive indexes' that people are being persuaded to buy into (and swap between) is active investing by another name.

I don’t know what most of these terms are and I look forward to googling them one day, maybe.

nelson posted:

Can you explain (in super easy language) how you came to that conclusion from the quotes text? I mean I believe you and assume finance is all corruption, just curious about the specifics.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Duckman2008 posted:

Reminder to still do a Roth 401k IRA and factor that in. If you have an excess, you could instantly put away either up to $6k for 2021, or $12k for both 2020 and 2021, which I think would be a better first step than doing the transfer I think you are proposing.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

I don’t know what most of these terms are and I look forward to googling them one day, maybe.

Can you explain (in super easy language) how you came to that conclusion from the quotes text? I mean I believe you and assume finance is all corruption, just curious about the specifics.

To simplify this, if everyone just invests in one stock, then that stock will go to the moon regardless of whether the company is actually good or not, just because everyone is pumping money into it.

Some people have said this is what is happening to the stock market currently with indexes. Except there are so many indexes and also there are so much money still active that its not really a problem.

If it becomes a problem then not investing in indexes will make more money, people will shift to that and then back and forth.

As for the whole insider trading thing who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Duckman2008 posted:

I don’t quite follow.

an emergency fund is more important than retirement. Are you saying you have an excess savings the you basically want to transfer to your new retirement savings options ?

If so, I would just say make sure you don’t go over board, keeping an emergency savings fund is extremely important , but if you are way over your savings fund, then sure that would be a way to balance it.

Reminder to still do a Roth 401k and factor that in. If you have an excess, you could instantly put away either up to $6k for 2021, or $12k for both 2020 and 2021, which I think would be a better first step than doing the transfer I think you are proposing.

I am not planning to spend my emergency fund. I have more than my emergency fund in savings (just haven't put it anywhere yet), and some short-term and long-term investments in a brokerage account. I believe I cannot deposit money directly into my 457 and 403, I can only do payroll deduction. I don't get a 401k, and my IRA is already maxed out for this year. I am proposing to raise my payroll deduction to a level where my paycheck is unlivable and spend my savings until I start to get to emergency fund levels, at which point I would reduce my deduction.