Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

vyelkin posted:

get a load of this, we wrote into the constitution that if you want to you can just pass a law that includes a line saying "this law is exempt from the constitution" and then it's exempt from the constitution

Lol Canada doesn't need a constitution. Canada's got the Queen.

quote:

In Canada, we profess our loyalty to a person who represents all Canadians and not to a document such as a constitution, a banner such as a flag, or a geopolitical entity such as a country. In our constitutional monarchy, these elements are encompassed by the Sovereign (Queen or King). It is a remarkably simple yet powerful principle: Canada is personified by the Sovereign just as the Sovereign is personified by Canada.

I bet you didn't even need to take a test to get your citizenship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Lead out in cuffs posted:

About that...

Edit: How is an individual personified by a nation? :confused:

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
bump

Futanari Damacy has issued a correction as of 14:10 on Oct 29, 2022

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Where did that second quote come from? I mean, I don't think it's wrong in a legal sense but I've never professed my loyalty to anything, let alone the Queen of England Australia Barbados Canada

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

PhilippAchtel posted:

About that...

Edit: How is an individual personified by a nation? :confused:

In case it's not obvious, that quote is from the citizenship test study booklet.

Clearly it is a mystery, but one which a citizen applicant must master in order to become a full Canadian.

Edit: in order to become a Canadian citizen, you have to swear loyalty to HM Lizzie II.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

I was a legacy admission to Canadian citizenship

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Albino Squirrel posted:

Where did that second quote come from? I mean, I don't think it's wrong in a legal sense but I've never professed my loyalty to anything, let alone the Queen of England Australia Barbados Canada

reported for treason

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

In case it's not obvious, that quote is from the citizenship test study booklet.

Clearly it is a mystery, but one which a citizen applicant must master in order to become a full Canadian.

Edit: in order to become a Canadian citizen, you have to swear loyalty to HM Lizzie II.

Funny story from my ceremony: the presiding officer mentioned that the soundtrack we were listening to was a composition written to commemorate the Charter of Rights and Freedoms! There was a collective, audible, groan before they were able to add, "...and we are honored to have the composer present today to witness your special day!" and dead silence. He turned out to be a grumpy looking fellow who was flipping through a newspaper and not really paying attention to what was going on.

The music was just like what you are probably imagining.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

No poo poo, Raffi is straight-up a leftist.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Zeroisanumber posted:

No poo poo, Raffi is straight-up a leftist.

He also lives on Salt Spring Island, which has a pretty big share of anti-vaxxer hippies, so it's encouraging to see that he's not on that side of things.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

vyelkin posted:

I was a legacy admission to Canadian citizenship

old stock

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

I'm glad Global recorded it.

CBC reporters talked about similar poo poo at the Surrey blockade but didn't show any footage. I believed them but their refusal to share any tapes them just gave credence to the conspiracy freaks,

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

vyelkin posted:

There are no amendments, we wrote a brand new constitution in 1982 and have made no changes since because making changes is hard.

there’s be a poo poo ton of post 1982 amendments

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amendments_to_the_Constitution_of_Canada

the funniest failed amendment is when the conservatives tried to entrench property rights in the constitution. also the conservative mp who randomly introduced a motion to add “fetus rights” to the charter

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
That French Canadian guy saying Trudeau dollars over and over again made me lose it

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

He also lives on Salt Spring Island, which has a pretty big share of anti-vaxxer hippies, so it's encouraging to see that he's not on that side of things.

he’s a bit of a boomer but Raffi is about as legit as they come. national treasure

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Saltspring is all yuppies from the city now, the hippies are on Pender and Mayne.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
all I know about salt spring island is from Who Killed William Robinson? (it was the Bittencourt brothers)

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Durf posted:

Yeah, as with Jan 6th it's incredible how far they went to identify and incriminate themselves. Don't know if it's stupidity or just plain arrogance.

lol the mayor said he wants to sell all their vehicles to cover expenses

they've been trained by movies and tv to be like that, as have many

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

Durf posted:

Yeah, as with Jan 6th it's incredible how far they went to identify and incriminate themselves. Don't know if it's stupidity or just plain arrogance.

lol the mayor said he wants to sell all their vehicles to cover expenses

well it WAS an anti-mask rally basically

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

DariusLikewise posted:

there’s be a poo poo ton of post 1982 amendments

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amendments_to_the_Constitution_of_Canada

the funniest failed amendment is when the conservatives tried to entrench property rights in the constitution. also the conservative mp who randomly introduced a motion to add “fetus rights” to the charter

oh man I forgot about all of those because they matter so little, all I was thinking of was Charlottetown and Meech Lake

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Is Canada the only federation on the planet with a constitution that isn't formally signed by all its constituents?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

There are far less centralized Confederations. Australia confederated much later than us and the British practically had to force them too. I wouldn’t be shocked if they had loopholes.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
confederate flag was seen flying around a local house. now theres a petition to get council to ban the display of confederate symbols within city limits and everyone's screaming how it's america's fault it's flying here and how this is a violation of freedoms, read the charter

and it's both extremely annoying and also lol because it just shows they haven't

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
i had a feeling Bonhomme was up to no good

https://twitter.com/thebeaverton/status/1495456118897786883?s=21

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

it's america's fault that people think the charter has exactly the same contents as the US constitution

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
it would be cool to have a prime minister that just melts away every march

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
everyone who got arrested should be held until they can write an essay proving that they've read and understand the charter

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

Hungry Computer posted:

everyone who got arrested should be held until they can write an essay proving that they've read and understand the charter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqAgOOaJyLc&t=38s

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

First they allowed children to learn reading in schools using the bible, now they won't stop cramming the CRT into every child! Someone has to stop these teachers!

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

mediaphage posted:

confederate flag was seen flying around a local house. now theres a petition to get council to ban the display of confederate symbols within city limits and everyone's screaming how it's america's fault it's flying here and how this is a violation of freedoms, read the charter

and it's both extremely annoying and also lol because it just shows they haven't

we're a confederation, so what's wrong with a confederate flag???

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Man the past like three weeks of this thread have been too much about chuds and not enough about normal winter griping. Let's talk about snow.

LMAO there's so much of the stuff it almost loving killed me last night, literally. It blocked our furnace vents despite checking on it just a few days ago. Fortunately it just turned off overnight so I was just cold as gently caress when I woke up instead of not waking up. Our city is about to collectively lose it's poo poo. Everyone out shoveling on my block has the thousand yard stare and we're running out of places to put it. Except our neighbours across the street who decided that in front of the fire hydrant was a good place to put it. In their defence I'm p sure they're below the 'qualify for government assistance' threshold of mental capacity. I was very nice when explaining to them that they need to make sure they don't get us all killed.

Also you don't get to steer on any of the side streets anymore, the ruts are driving now.

6th snowiest winter since records began and as bonus because it's all light and fluffy and not compact at all apparently it might just all melt fast and flood the poo poo out of everything without even replenishing the soil and water table.

gently caress winter oh my god.

OK back to watching chuds.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
we got some snow here over the last couple days, after almost all of it melted away in... mid-february. but the next 3 days should be above 0 degrees so it'll probably melt again

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

EvilJoven posted:

Man the past like three weeks of this thread have been too much about chuds and not enough about normal winter griping. Let's talk about snow.

LMAO there's so much of the stuff it almost loving killed me last night, literally. It blocked our furnace vents despite checking on it just a few days ago. Fortunately it just turned off overnight so I was just cold as gently caress when I woke up instead of not waking up. Our city is about to collectively lose it's poo poo. Everyone out shoveling on my block has the thousand yard stare and we're running out of places to put it. Except our neighbours across the street who decided that in front of the fire hydrant was a good place to put it. In their defence I'm p sure they're below the 'qualify for government assistance' threshold of mental capacity. I was very nice when explaining to them that they need to make sure they don't get us all killed.

oh hey this happened to us last winter, it was certainly A Experience being shooed out of our apartment in our pajamas at 4 AM, along with everyone else in our building, because it was quickly becoming an anoxic deathtrap

on the bright side, nearly dying of carbon monoxide poisoning helped us compel our landlord to get us a new furnace and this one came with actual AC

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

EvilJoven posted:

Also you don't get to steer on any of the side streets anymore, the ruts are driving now.

6th snowiest winter since records began and as bonus because it's all light and fluffy and not compact at all apparently it might just all melt fast and flood the poo poo out of everything without even replenishing the soil and water table.

gently caress winter oh my god.

OK back to watching chuds.

Last winter here it hit -44*c on February 8. This year it was +9 on February 10. All of our snow was almost completely melted before this latest little burst we got. It was +5*c and raining Saturday at noon and It's forecast for -29 tomorrow night.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Ya we keep getting like a week of extreme cold warnings and then the moment it warms up we get hurricane force winds a shitload of snow and then as soon as the snow stops it goes back down to extreme cold warnings.

West of us they're just getting so much wind and fluffy snow it isn't even staying on their fields it just blows away and into my back yard.

EDIT: The Actif Epica winter ultra was yesterday and despite it being literally a few laps of a sidwalk / multi use path inside the city because they couldn't get insurance for the normal Emerson - Winnipeg cross country route a ton of people DNFd because they couldn't handle the multi use path across the street from the shopping mall.

They're also starting to empty the Shellmouth resivoir to avoid it overflowing this spring and it's starting to gently caress up skating stuff on the river. RIP Wolseley winter wonderland, it's all gonna be slushville if it isn't already.

EvilJoven has issued a correction as of 20:07 on Feb 20, 2022

CrcleSqreSanchz
Aug 21, 2002

I'm feeling something new...something...I'm happy??!!
My favorite part is having to be halfway into the road to see around the snowbanks and see if a car is about to tbone you into another life.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war
try living in the country. here's our barn.

four blizzards in february, and insane 50 kph+ blowing snow like every second or third day. each day of blowing snow brings another 2 - 4 ft of snow to blow out of the driveway and lot, which, with a little dinky snowblower with a lovely princess auto 7 hp motor strapped to it, is about 4 hours of snowblowing.

add the absolutely hellacious cold, and I've had enough. I don't know why I moved back to MB.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

I remember living in Halifax and the wind was so insane it blew like 3 feet of snow off Citadel Hill. winter was like being on Neptune. nothing like walking home from a bar and legit thinking you might die

this winter is probably the craziest I've seen in over a decade. probably for the best the warm winters were getting concerning.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

quote:

Verily I say unto you, the era of the sword and axe is nigh, the era of the wolf's blizzard. The Time of the White Chill and the White Light is nigh, the Time of Madness and the Time of Contempt: Tedd Deireádh, the Time of End. The world will die amidst frost and be reborn with the new sun. It will be reborn of Elder Blood, of Hen Ichaer, of the seed that has been sown. A seed which will not sprout but burst into flame.
Ess'tuath esse! Thus it shall be! Watch for the signs! What signs these shall be, I say unto you: first the earth will flow with the blood of Aen Seidhe, the Blood of Elves...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

https://twitter.com/acoyne/status/1495447481039179777

:w00t: let's get nuts!