Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
who cares if a local business is money laundering or selling smack out the back don’t be a narc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

bump_fn posted:

who cares if a local business is money laundering or selling smack out the back don’t be a narc

who the gently caress says I'm going to be a narc, gently caress off

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
whoa chill out i was making a joke

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

bump_fn posted:

whoa chill out i was making a joke

Okay no worries. I was having fun speculating that's all and you struck a nerve.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

HopperUK posted:

The chippie on the corner - every few years it closes down, gets gutted, all equipment removed, then reopens shortly after as another, slightly rearranged chippie, like the counter is the other way round, but it's always the same guys in there. And they only take cash. Definitely money laundering right?

Probably not money laundering - food service has much higher overheads than other retail, and stock in- and outflow is much more tightly controlled, so it's harder to get away with. *Might* be some other shenanigans going on with business loans, taxes and bankruptcy but also might just be indecisive owners. Those serving cabinets and fryers really aren't cheap, so they might even just be moving them around a bit - my local chippy goes through weird cycles because the space is a little too small to allow dining in, but has a load of wasted space otherwise, so every year or two - generally when they're redecorating - they move the counter a metre forward or back to either gain more prep space behind the counter or more queueing space in front.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Probably not money laundering - food service has much higher overheads than other retail, and stock in- and outflow is much more tightly controlled, so it's harder to get away with. *Might* be some other shenanigans going on with business loans, taxes and bankruptcy but also might just be indecisive owners. Those serving cabinets and fryers really aren't cheap, so they might even just be moving them around a bit - my local chippy goes through weird cycles because the space is a little too small to allow dining in, but has a load of wasted space otherwise, so every year or two - generally when they're redecorating - they move the counter a metre forward or back to either gain more prep space behind the counter or more queueing space in front.

That's fair. I never quite understood why they didn't just move them - they definitely are taking out the equipment and reinstalling different equipment but they might just be moving it between sites.

More fun to imagine crimes though, poo poo-all ever happens around here except that one bloke who lives in a tent on the roundabout and sometimes wanders around with a machete.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

HopperUK posted:

That's fair. I never quite understood why they didn't just move them - they definitely are taking out the equipment and reinstalling different equipment but they might just be moving it between sites.

More fun to imagine crimes though, poo poo-all ever happens around here except that one bloke who lives in a tent on the roundabout and sometimes wanders around with a machete.

That sounds like a fairly major happening, given the clutching of pearls that goes on on the Isle of Dogs FB group about people doing nitrous and the jogger who tries to start fights on the Blue Bridge. I'd imagine that sort of thing would cause actual pitchfork-and-torches mobs to appear around here.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Guavanaut posted:

Yes. She also doesn't like "middle class parents" which sounds very suspicious given her "tennis players are more aspirational for children than footballers" ideas (but it really just means anyone who rejects her odd Victorian ideas on instruction).

https://twitter.com/slicedmind/status/1495373817832693761

This woman is literally insane and is destroying the mental health of the kids under her care and I have no idea how her school is even legal. If I had a kid that told me a teacher was carrying on like that I'd be in there yelling at her the same day.

mediaphage posted:

‘american cheese’ isn’t even the most popular cheese in america, lol

the only thing it’s good for is a grilled cheese and it’s disgusting everywhere else

Burgers too ofc

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Feb 20, 2022

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

escapegoat posted:

They tried it once in the late 90's, it was pulled a year later due to poor sales.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sy70WVeDfnw

Well I'll give them points for hiring Isaac Hayes to sing their jingle.

deano
Sep 6, 2000

HopperUK posted:

The chippie on the corner - every few years it closes down, gets gutted, all equipment removed, then reopens shortly after as another, slightly rearranged chippie, like the counter is the other way round, but it's always the same guys in there. And they only take cash. Definitely money laundering right?

can run for 2 years as a limited company and then fold, no paperwork needs to be submitted.

just tax dodge i would guess, launderys will keep going aslong as possible till tagged

deano fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Feb 20, 2022

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

deano posted:

can run for 2 years as a limited company and then fold, no paperwork needs to be submitted.

for dumb ppl what does this mean

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Mebh posted:

Ever had Gebrannte Mandeln? German Candied Almonds. Sofuckinggood. Christmas snack at all the weinachtsmarkts.

Ooo not yet I haven’t but these are in my future

Mebh
May 10, 2010

bump_fn posted:

the only actual solution is to make it yourself. if pyou have a :good produce source a pick de gallo is trivial, more saucey ones you might want to follow specific recipes

Oh believe me, I do! But what I miss is cheap, acceptable salsa. You just can't get it here.

I grow my own chillis, have a lot of fun fermenting them in brine and trying lots of different blends. There's a farm near me that sells crates of jalapeños for very little in the summer so I've been making roasted green jalapeño and tomatillo salsa and a really nice apple cider vinegar jalapeño pickle too.

However. :effort: some days I just want chips and dip or dirty quick nachos and the americans have decently available supermarket salsa for dirt cheap.

deano
Sep 6, 2000

bump_fn posted:

for dumb ppl what does this mean

set up a company, do your poo poo and bail before 2 years hmrc wont require anything afaik
then set up again diffrent director same shop and go again.

im sure someone will correct me but thats a simple one, before you get to hidibng stuff offshore or booking profits in another country etc

deano fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Feb 20, 2022

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

HopperUK posted:

Health and Safety dodging I think.
There is a chinese two streets away from myself here, and they change name every 6-12 months.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

That sounds like a fairly major happening, given the clutching of pearls that goes on on the Isle of Dogs FB group about people doing nitrous and the jogger who tries to start fights on the Blue Bridge. I'd imagine that sort of thing would cause actual pitchfork-and-torches mobs to appear around here.

It had the police helicopters out the one time he actually went into the estate agents and was aggressive about it. Mostly it's just Steve. He's more commonly to be seen with bows and arrows in military uniform he definitely should not be wearing. He needs help but he ain't going to get it. :/

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

ThomasPaine posted:

This woman is literally insane and is destroying the mental health of the kids under her care and I have no idea how her school is even legal.
It's not if there's anything to the stories about treatment of SEN or "it's not racist if it's true" attitudes.

Of course everything is legal if nobody does anything about it, so it's another case of "stringent absolutist rules for thee, doing what the gently caress I want for me" that a certain type of English idolises.

https://twitter.com/PonderfulYT/status/1495355183957688327

deano
Sep 6, 2000

happyhippy posted:

Health and Safety dodging I think.
There is a chinese two streets away from myself here, and they change name every 6-12 months.

Health and safety wont let that pass same place same problems is gonna get shut down

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

ThomasPaine posted:

This woman is literally insane and is destroying the mental health of the kids under her care and I have no idea how her school is even legal. If I had a kid that told me a teacher was carrying on like that I'd be in there yelling at her the same day.

Burgers too ofc

This woman's school has less chill than a missionary school in Asia and that's really saying something.

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish

Mebh posted:

We actually buy our own cheese powder and add that to popcorn. Its loving insane. Way cheaper and less 50/50 chance its going to be utterly vile than buying the suspect bags of pre popped corn snacks from the american candy aisle.
That and just a good chimichanga.

Where do you buy cheese powder from? Is it that weird hard cheese in a shaker you can get at the supermarket?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

No mate that's probably parmesan. Cheese powder is a specific thing. You could mix up plain popcorn with Wotsits, I bet that'd be all right

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Deketh posted:

Where do you buy cheese powder from? Is it that weird hard cheese in a shaker you can get at the supermarket?

It's often in the American section of the supermarket.

Stuff like this.

https://www.myamericanmarket.com/us...yRoCANgQAvD_BwE

I had this before. I found you had to throw a LOT of it onto popcorn to get the smallest cheese buzz. And even then I felt it was just better and easier to buy some Manhattan Cheese flavoured popcorn.
Or Tayto's cheese flavoured microwavable popcorn.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

The Question IRL posted:

Stuff like this.

I had this before. I found you had to throw a LOT of it onto popcorn to get the smallest cheese buzz. And even then I felt it was just better and easier to buy some Manhattan Cheese flavoured popcorn.

in addition to needing more than you think it definitely helps to add salt and butter if you already aren't; both help accentuate flavours

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Nutritional yeast powder is the secret to cheesy poocorn

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Failed Imagineer posted:

i also have dated a vegan

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
can't even remember the last time i ate popcorn. At a cinema probably.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
My son and I both like popcorn. It’s trivially easy to make it at home. Top tip: use ghee. It gives a delicious buttery flavour and has a high smoke point.

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish

The Question IRL posted:

Stuff like this.

HopperUK posted:

No mate that's probably parmesan. Cheese powder is a specific thing. You could mix up plain popcorn with Wotsits, I bet that'd be all right

Ah ok, ta. I've got a ton of kernels to use up but can never get a decent topping going.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Failed Imagineer posted:

Considering namechange to ",cheesy poocorn"

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
vladimir poocorn

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Poocorn Island

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Andrew, Poop of Corn

Mebh
May 10, 2010

The Question IRL posted:

Stuff like this.

The kernel seasons stuff is awful. We found this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hoosier-Hill-Farm-Cheddar-Ingredient/dp/B07LHCVWGJ in the hunt for something to recreate kraft mac n cheese for the wife. It is... Rather good on popcorn.

Now if you want something genuinely good that you might not have tried... Get some of this. Tajin Seasoning

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

That's one of the things I love most about SA; you could use a random word generator to come up with a word like popcorn and still find someone who's spent the last five years exhaustively researching the best popcorn options and ranking them.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Bobby Deluxe posted:

popcorn options

poptions

but you can't rank them, they're only popinions

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Guavanaut posted:

I thought they were everywhere going by the number of articles about why the youth can't afford houses.

Well there's your mistake, they're rare as hell which is why they're expensive enough to prevent us buying real estate!

Birbalsingh is an absoute loving headbanger and shouldn't be allowed within 50 miles of a school. Jimmy Savile couldn't dream of doing damage as widespread as she does.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Also known as edicts.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Mebh posted:

The kernel seasons stuff is awful. We found this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hoosier-Hill-Farm-Cheddar-Ingredient/dp/B07LHCVWGJ in the hunt for something to recreate kraft mac n cheese for the wife. It is... Rather good on popcorn.

Now if you want something genuinely good that you might not have tried... Get some of this. Tajin Seasoning

Oo, that seasoning does sound good

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Mebh posted:

I've had that in Colombia, it's outrageous how good it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

poptions

but you can't rank them, they're only popinions

Sometimes this thread makes me so happy