Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
The idea is that they'll lose their white western privilege in a one world government, and to them equality feels like oppression.

Those Africans are meant to be poor and starving. If they get something, it has to mean I lose something!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

There are groups of these idiots out there asserting their "first and second amendment rights", which don't exist in Canada. It's fully American brain poison seeping across the border.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

TulliusCicero posted:

Does Canada have a lot of Evangelicals?

Our last conservative prime minster was one, and their churches are directly implicated in supporting the occupiers in Ottawa

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

McGavin posted:

There are groups of these idiots out there asserting their "first and second amendment rights", which don't exist in Canada. It's fully American brain poison seeping across the border.
I mean, the same applies on the internet. You get jackasses insisting free speech means they should be allowed to say slurs in video games or whatever without being banned.

When you call them on it, they'll try to argue it is, or should be a human right, to which there is some truth to? But it misses the point that basically all rights have implicit "reasonable limits" or that free speech rights don't really protect you from all consequences.

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

TulliusCicero posted:

I expect this Sov Cit/ Lolbertian chud dipshittery from my own country, but I'm genuinely surprised to see the level that particular infection has spread into Canada. Like I thought the UN conspiracy poo poo was a strictly American evangelical chud thing. Does Canada have a lot of Evangelicals?

I know Britain has its own insane chuds, but holy poo poo Fox News is a virus spreading across the liberal democracies creating chuds.

We have enough access to your media and have a similar economic system that our socio-political status generally follows the US with 5--10ish year lag time. However, having universal health care, a better regulated banking system, and tighter controls on campaign donations means that our fringe population doesn't get as angry and desperate. As a result, our insurrections, much like many things Canada produces, is a store brand knockoff of the US version.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
The QAnon poo poo landed as far as Philippines. Brain rot is universal, and it's telling to watch a stream from Ottawa where dudes yell "We have the 1st amendment right to protest!", and where they talk about Qanon. The same with sovereign citizen and freeman on the land poo poo all the way in Australia where they speak with US legal terms to the befuddlement of the strayan cop.

I think brain rot leaves the brain in a receptive state, and the US popular cultures penetration just carries the crazy globally. For Canada, it's easy to absorb it just from across the border.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Vahakyla posted:

The QAnon poo poo landed as far as Philippines. Brain rot is universal, and it's telling to watch a stream from Ottawa where dudes yell "We have the 1st amendment right to protest!", and where they talk about Qanon. The same with sovereign citizen and freeman on the land poo poo all the way in Australia where they speak with US legal terms to the befuddlement of the strayan cop.

I think brain rot leaves the brain in a receptive state, and the US popular cultures penetration just carries the crazy globally. For Canada, it's easy to absorb it just from across the border.

The foreign Qanon spread is just baffling to me: it is a conspiracy specifially focuses on an American President destroying all their percieved enemies because Trump actually didn't do poo poo besides enrich himself and petty vengeance.

How does a conspiracy focused on Trump have near universal appeal among chuds? Is he really their Boomer/ racist dipshit Zeitgeist given flesh?

What the gently caress does someone in the Phillipines or Canada care if Trump is President? Is he going to be president of Earth in this conspiracy?

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
Lol just imagine if this comes to pass

https://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/mobile/sell-towed-trucks-to-pay-down-costs-of-policing-convoy-protest-ottawa-mayor-suggests-1.5788859

Just lol

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Watson is a bloviating tube of wet cabbage and should not be listened to by anyone

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

My mom's side of my family are all evangelicals and only one of them (my grandpa's sister) has gone full Q-tarded.

My dad and I just can't understand what the hell happened because she and her husband seemed totally normal when I was growing up. Something in the past few years broke their brains and they have basically ostracized themselves from the extended family because nobody else agrees with them.

Edit: The only thing I can think of is "old people getting on Facebook with no critical thinking ability", which kind of goes hand in hand with evangelical Christianity.

McGavin fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Feb 20, 2022

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Oxyclean posted:

I mean, the same applies on the internet. You get jackasses insisting free speech means they should be allowed to say slurs in video games or whatever without being banned.

When you call them on it, they'll try to argue it is, or should be a human right, to which there is some truth to? But it misses the point that basically all rights have implicit "reasonable limits" or that free speech rights don't really protect you from all consequences.

Free speech is already a human right per the Charter. It just doesn't overrule other people's rights, so hate speech isn't allowed.

Also, as we are about to see play out in the courts, blocking businesses and keeping people awake by honking train horns outside their homes is almost certainly not covered under freedom of speech.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
For some reason I keep learning Quebecois french, but I may never fully grasp the slang/humour.

Someone help me out here with the sign top right.

It's obviously "FREEDOM for the children gently caress" basically. I just translate tabarnak as "gently caress", but half covered with "goose"?? So like FUC-GOOSE.

What the hell does that even mean? Help me eastern friends.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

^"Tabaouette" is a minced oath, like frig

McGavin posted:

My mom's side of my family are all evangelicals and only one of them (my grandpa's sister) has gone full Q-tarded.

My dad and I just can't understand what the hell happened because she and her husband seemed totally normal when I was growing up. Something in the past few years broke their brains and they have basically ostracized themselves from the extended family because nobody else agrees with them.

Edit: The only thing I can think of is "old people getting on Facebook with no critical thinking ability", which kind of goes hand in hand with evangelical Christianity.

It's interesting how humans are hardwired to be reckless and obstinate in our youth, but more trusting and less likely to think critically about things, to the point of paints-on-head stupid gullibility, as we get ancient. I've often wondered if that's to keep our old selves from starting poo poo and getting into fights that'd kill us if we lost... or maybe it's just to make us easier to send out onto an ice floe so those of reproductive age can have more food and time away from taking care of us.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Why is #blackfacehitler trending?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Also, as we are about to see play out in the courts, blocking businesses and keeping people awake by honking train horns outside their homes is almost certainly not covered under freedom of speech.

A superior court judge has already answered that question: "Tooting a horn is not an expression of any great thought I'm aware of"

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

because Trudeau did black face and is also a nazi dictator now

unlike last week when he was just a globalist commie shill

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

The Butcher posted:

For some reason I keep learning Quebecois french, but I may never fully grasp the slang/humour.

It's obviously "FREEDOM for the children gently caress" basically. I just translate tabarnak as "gently caress", but half covered with "goose"?? So like FUC-GOOSE.

https://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/?p=53604

quote:

Anyhow, the sign-maker attenuated the message a bit by overlaying -ouette on -nak, producing taberouette.

…from whose Wiktionary entry I learned the phrase "minced oath", which somehow escaped my linguistic experience until today…

The overlay is sort of like partly overlaying -shdarnit on the last seven letters of goddammit, to produce GOshdarnit (while leaving the unminced spelling clear to the eye.)

snorch
Jul 27, 2009

McGavin posted:

That's my read on it. Questioning what you read is by far not a universal skill.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Free speech is already a human right per the Charter. It just doesn't overrule other people's rights, so hate speech isn't allowed.

Absolutely no disagreement. There's just this brainrot of "Free speech means I can do whatever I want."

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

snorch posted:

That's my read on it. Questioning what you read is by far not a universal skill.

Remember when these same now-brain-poisoned idiots insisted that Wikipedia was never to be trusted?

Now any lunatic can poo poo out an incoherent conspiracy theory and they’re like “hmm, yes, that seems reasonable.”

What happened in between?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Dude live blogging bail hearings.

https://twitter.com/JamesDBowie

These people are choosing to stay in jail rather than sign an agreement that they won't return to the protests that aren't even going on anymore.

Their crack facebook legal team probably told them signing anything means you're now property of the global elite.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.
This is a holy crusade for these people

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

McGavin posted:

My parents don’t use any social media and have always been really laid back about everything. About 2 years ago they started making comments and saying things about how the mainstream media wasn’t reporting in what’s really happening etc. I had a look at their computers, iPads, iPhones, etc. and found out some people they knew had signed them up to a ton of far mailing lists. They were also sending them links to alt right YouTube videos. Since they watched those, YouTube now started recommending them regardless of whatever else they were watching.

I unsubscribed them from all the mailing lists, blocked the addresses and the addresses of the people who signed them up. I also created new YouTube profiles for both of them.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Grouchio posted:

Why is #blackfacehitler trending?

Conservative victimization fetish, as usual.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Very representative of Surrey, which is like 60% not-white.

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

McGavin posted:

This is basically textbook what happened with my own mother, (who just 2 days ago sent me an article about free hiv testing kits in sask and how this definitely means that the covid vaccine is giving people aids) and surprise surprise, also a born again christian.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.

Powershift posted:

They are Having A Normal One:
https://twitter.com/JamesDBowie/status/1495458144138502149

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

"Crack" legal team indeed. Apparently the JP ordered him into treatment of some kind

In other perfectly normal country news

https://twitter.com/carlososorio/status/1495444427455836171

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Powershift posted:

These people are choosing to stay in jail rather than sign an agreement that they won't return to the protests that aren't even going on anymore.

Their crack facebook legal team probably told them signing anything means you're now property of the global elite.

I hope someone brings up the fringes on the flag or something.

Seems like as good a time as any to bring back the CanLII file on sovcits from an Alberta judge who tears them apart.

Meads v. Meads posted:

[75] These claims are, of course, pseudolegal nonsense. A judge who encounters and reviews OPCA concepts will find their errors are obvious and manifest, once one strips away the layers of peculiar language, irrelevant references, and deciphers the often bizarre documentation which accompanies an OPCA scheme. When reduced to their conceptual core, most OPCA concepts are contemptibly stupid.

OPCA is Organized Pseudolegal Commercial Argument. Basically, some huckster offers to sell you cheat codes to beat court but they're all bullshit.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

sounds like the classic pretend to be insane defence

Gros Tarla
Dec 30, 2008

The Butcher posted:

Tabarnak is a common slur in Quebec, just like gently caress, as you said. Tabarouette is a "gentler" way of saying it. For instance, if I were to stub my toe and start launching a tabarnak with my kid around, I may shift mid word to ouette in a futile attempt for my kid not to learn the actual slur. In this case, the "nak" was crossed and covered by "ouette". I suspect this is because at some point whoever is behind that sign realized that yelling you're here for the children surrounded by signs saying gently caress X,Y,Z probably looked a bit hypocritical.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

RBC posted:

sounds like the classic pretend to be insane defence

Countdown to finding his facebook where he states publicly that if arrested he will pretend to be insane.

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'd say it was your manifest destiny not to.

thunderspanks posted:

This is basically textbook what happened with my own mother, (who just 2 days ago sent me an article about free hiv testing kits in sask and how this definitely means that the covid vaccine is giving people aids) and surprise surprise, also a born again christian.
Wait is that why people are posting all paranoid about the HIV testing kits? That is actually more stupid than I thought. I figured they just didn't like people being able to find out if they have a dangerous condition.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!

Madkal posted:

There is shortage of Freedom though. What this means is up to the person fearing this scenario.

The markets closed today and Freedom is down three points

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Oxyclean posted:

Person wants the freedom to stave because their employeer does not pay them enough

alternatively,

person wants the freedom to make other people starve by not paying them enough

e: Seriously though, why the gently caress do these nuts have the most boring ideas of what freedom is? Bring on the protests where people want the freedom not to work. I'm sure if I told these people I want that freedom that'd say I have it; I just have to live with not getting money, and see zero hypocrisy with their request for freedom from mandates/masks/etc.

Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition: There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

Solenna posted:

Wait is that why people are posting all paranoid about the HIV testing kits? That is actually more stupid than I thought. I figured they just didn't like people being able to find out if they have a dangerous condition.

yeah the new hot take is literally "it's giving people aids".

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Solenna posted:

Yeah, I’ve seen a few posts saying stuff like “my husband got the vaccine and now he has AIDS” or something like that. I would hope that most of them are just trolls but with the way things are going I’m probably wrong.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Powershift posted:

Countdown to finding his facebook where he states publicly that if arrested he will pretend to be insane.

One of the guys police announced charges against today, "Freedom George" Billings, a Pat King flunky, livestreamed his arrest last night. Just before the cops rolled up, he told the stream he snuck past the police to get downtown and almost immediately after he says that, cop lights are in the video. :v:

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER

Gros Tarla posted:

Tabarnak is a common slur in Quebec, just like gently caress, as you said. Tabarouette is a "gentler" way of saying it. For instance, if I were to stub my toe and start launching a tabarnak with my kid around, I may shift mid word to ouette in a futile attempt for my kid not to learn the actual slur. In this case, the "nak" was crossed and covered by "ouette". I suspect this is because at some point whoever is behind that sign realized that yelling you're here for the children surrounded by signs saying gently caress X,Y,Z probably looked a bit hypocritical.

I've also heard "Tabernouche" before, but only in Cornwall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

'Tabarnak' is to 'Tabarnouche' as 'gently caress' is to 'Fudge'