Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Hahahhahahahah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

In the Australian kids cartoon Bluey, they frequently refer to money as Dollaree-doos. That episode made an impact. (also there's something about the pacing and use of language in the show that feels decidedly Simpsonesque)

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Bug Squash posted:

In the Australian kids cartoon Bluey, they frequently refer to money as Dollaree-doos. That episode made an impact. (also there's something about the pacing and use of language in the show that feels decidedly Simpsonesque)

They usually call them "dollarbucks" but yeah there are a couple dollarydoos thrown in too.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

I like my beer cold, my TV loud, and my Homers and Moes … flaming

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

https://twitter.com/sportingnews/status/1495460163607740419

Mike Truk, Rey McSriff and Bobson Dugnutt... nobodies, those names mean nothing. Could have been on The Simpsons and been somebody.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I'd never have known who Mike Scoscia, Steve Sax, or Ozzie Smith were if it weren't for that episode and there's a very good chance their legacy from that episode will outlast their actual sports legacy.

I'm sure they mean something to baseball fans, though.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Aw drat Ricky Henderson would have been a great addition to that. He's an alien from another planet.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

mind the walrus posted:

1. You can really tell it was the 1999 writing staff and not the 1996 writing staff.

2. Only funny joke was "Let's go to the outback. It's out back."

3. More confirmation that it's Dollary-doos.

Agreed plus for the Dundee joke the original had the wonderful knifey-spoony exchange and it’s downgraded to “look a larger slingshot”

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Also the kangaroo pouch goo gag is repeated.

Also just gonna say it, the original Tobias voice is funny on its own, this version is not.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

CommonShore posted:

Aw drat Ricky Henderson would have been a great addition to that. He's an alien from another planet.

agreed, ricky would've been great

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

spaceblancmange posted:

https://twitter.com/sportingnews/status/1495460163607740419

Mike Truk, Rey McSriff and Bobson Dugnutt... nobodies, those names mean nothing. Could have been on The Simpsons and been somebody.

I forget which player it was, but one of the writers mentioned meeting a player years later after they retired and when he told them he worked on The Simpsons, the player said he still gets Simpsons related signature requests all these years later. It really was a good way to be remembered.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Wade Boggs talked about that in this WaPo article.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Nolan Ryan just being an ornery sonofabitch in the episode would've been great.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007
https://twitter.com/goodhunterabbie/status/1495438364832677891?s=21

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Springfield *High*?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

ultrafilter posted:

Wade Boggs talked about that in this WaPo article.

Yeah, my only knowledge of Wade Boggs is from the fact he appeared in The Simpsons and was referenced on Futurama and Always Sunny. That's going to be the case for most non-Americans and even a pretty big proportion of Americans, too.

(It doesn't help that it's such a hilarious name that most people would assume was just made up if you talked about him as well)

Antitonic
Sep 24, 2011

Invented By Gandhi

christmas boots posted:

Springfield *High*?

Sure is!

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Would have been better if it had been "been making a oval office out of myself"

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Mike Scoscia had a really successful career as a manager after he was a player and is probably most famous for that, and Carlton Fisk is a sports hero in Boston to the extent that I was a little peeved that tweet used his White Sox uniform (although I guess that IS where he was playing when the episode aired)

e: I actually have a Carlton Fisk bobblehead I got for free at a Red Sox game

loquacius fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Feb 21, 2022

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Was David Ortiz ever on post-golden-age Simpsons and if so how bad was that episode

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The thing that bums me out about the other players they asked, and it's a silly thing to be bummed about, is thinking that each player's story in the episode probably doesn't have much to do with the actual player. Like if Henderson had agreed would he take Ozzie Smith's place (let's say)? Because I'd like to think that each story kinda fits with each player's persona.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

I just went through the thread history for a while and this just about loving killed me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTNu4nO2dZM&t=88s

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

TheMostFrench posted:

I just went through the thread history for a while and this just about loving killed me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTNu4nO2dZM&t=88s

Lol at Agnes screaming at the end

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/iresimpsonsfans/status/1495878639283494914

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

...you forget so easily...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMMS5a9Xgec&t=25s

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Really, because I would have thought Ireland Simpsons Fans would have gone for Dancing With Myself first.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I'd been converted some time ago, but as we get higher in Haschel's Johnson Rankings, I gotta say it's impressive how good some of those memes are.

Though I must say of the last batch, the elevator one is ranked much too high, and the Jimbo one too low. It's actually scary how well the cross breeding of Johnson and Woods works.

Lemurtron
Aug 3, 2017
Britain's top negotiator can be very, very persuasive.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON

loquacius posted:

Mike Scoscia had a really successful career as a manager after he was a player and is probably most famous for that, and Carlton Fisk is a sports hero in Boston to the extent that I was a little peeved that tweet used his White Sox uniform (although I guess that IS where he was playing when the episode aired)

e: I actually have a Carlton Fisk bobblehead I got for free at a Red Sox game

hey come on, he played here for 13 years! we retired his number!

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Lowsa!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I'm watching the Rex Banner episode and I wonder how Dave Thomas got involved. Did someone on staff know from his work that he could do a good Robert Stack impression? Like from his SCTV days?

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
My wife asked what I was laughing at when reading Haschel’s ranking thread and when I tried to explain it she clearly thought it was funny for about six seconds.

She is a saint for putting up with me for six years and counting.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Lobok posted:

I'm watching the Rex Banner episode and I wonder how Dave Thomas got involved. Did someone on staff know from his work that he could do a good Robert Stack impression? Like from his SCTV days?

Today I learned that wasn't Robert Stack

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Apollodorus posted:

My wife asked what I was laughing at when reading Haschel’s ranking thread and when I tried to explain it she clearly thought it was funny for about six seconds.

She is a saint for putting up with me for six years and counting.

She clearly just needs to stick with it.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

The delivery of "Cousin Merl" continues to be one of the best readings in the series