Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Majorian posted:

It's becoming increasingly clear, imo, that Russia does not want to intervene unless this goes down exactly like Georgia '08 did.

It is going down that way. Russia will invent a causus belli out of whole cloth and attack Ukraine unprovoked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

It is going down that way. Russia will invent a causus belli out of whole cloth and attack Ukraine unprovoked.

Okay, well, we'll see, won't we?

Somaen posted:

I'm not a military guy but I'm pretty sure huge invasions don't happen spontaneously being lead by a heroic protagonist to charge especially in a highly vertical authoritarian structure. I'm willing to believe that because so far the US intelligence has shown that their sigint was good, e.g. the chlorine false flag

David Martin has a history of sounding off uncritically when the IC leaks something to him. See, for example:

https://twitter.com/NorahODonnell/status/1493690041465548800

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Well now that would be fun

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

https://t.me/tass_agency/110384

Speaking of Georgia. Claims emerging of Ukrainian forces shelling Rostov.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

If Russia were genuinely concerned about a hypothetical attack on the Donbas then we would have spent the last three months talking about the frontline on the Donbas, not a mix of 'oh we have absolutely no intention of invading Ukraine but give us guarantees that it will never join NATO or peace might break down in some unspecified way'.

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin

Somaen posted:

I'm not a military guy but I'm pretty sure huge invasions don't happen spontaneously being lead by a heroic protagonist to charge especially in a highly vertical authoritarian structure. I'm willing to believe that because so far the US intelligence has shown that their sigint was good, e.g. the chlorine false flag

Did you ignore the part where they've said that the invasion is going to happen tomorrow for litterally weeks and it hasn't happened yet? Dont let the CIA gaslight you

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Alchenar posted:

If Russia were genuinely concerned about a hypothetical attack on the Donbas then we would have spent the last three months talking about the frontline on the Donbas, not a mix of 'oh we have absolutely no intention of invading Ukraine but give us guarantees that it will never join NATO or peace might break down in some unspecified way'.
If Russia were concerned about an attack on Donbas they'd have postured with a third of their current amassed forces.

And that's what they did, back early last year.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
https://twitter.com/IAPonomarenko/status/1495464102415802370

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

FishBulbia posted:

Two missiles did explode in Rostov oblast. It happened before multiple times, too, and every time they opened a criminal investigation that resulted in nothing.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

FishBulbia posted:

TACC is Russian state-owned news, so I am uncertain of the veracity... but a Russian state media outlet saying this isn't, you know, good. I'm still hoping for no invasion but I'm not happy with this.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Terminal autist posted:

Did you ignore the part where they've said that the invasion is going to happen tomorrow for litterally weeks and it hasn't happened yet? Dont let the CIA gaslight you

Except you know we can see all the tick tok videos of Russian troops and equipment moving into place.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

They've already tried a couple, but they haven't really been convincing.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Terminal autist posted:

If they aren't planning on invading, why have they positioned such a substantial portion of their military surrounding Ukraine? What benefit does that have for Russia?

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

CommieGIR posted:

Maybe, but Putin is also the sort of KGB Troll that would release attack orders and then retract them once the US reported on them just to fluster people in the intel community.

I still think this is pretty likely, the pre-recorded evacuation crisis video was stored in a folder called 'mongoose throw' (I've seen some translate it as 'mongoose strike' instead)

Mongooses (mongeese?) are animals that hunt a lot like small cats, they tire prey out with feigned attacks. The huge troop movements could just be a feint to exhaust the Ukrainians and make accomplishing some other goal easier, with fake invasion plans being fed to the americans to make them look stupid when nothing happens

Alternatively, engineering a crisis in Donbass could be a bid to distract the army from an attack on Kyiv and/or Kharkiv, but that still seems insane to me. Attacking Kyiv would horrify the world, including a lot of Russians. It would turn a lot of reliably anti-nato actors against putin

https://twitter.com/Snowden/status/1494818918086631425

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Terminal autist posted:

If this is the case, I'm sure you can provide this evidence of the CIA saying the invasion is going to happen tomorrow for literal weeks.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Flavahbeast posted:

I still think this is pretty likely, the pre-recorded evacuation crisis video was stored in a folder called 'mongoose throw' (I've seen some translate it as 'mongoose strike' instead)

"throw" is the most common meaning of the word, but it's also used for things like shots in (ice) hockey and... rapid military movements.

And, well, I don't think mongoose are fond of paying catch, so "strike" is a very reasonable translation, and probably more helpful than the literal one.

Edit: come to think of it, it's also used for some animal attacks, e.g. Cobra's, which is probably what was intended. Mongoose just don't come up much, so I am not sure what the deal with their attacks is, though.

OddObserver fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Feb 20, 2022

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

If they aren't planning on invading, why have they positioned such a substantial portion of their military surrounding Ukraine? What benefit does that have for Russia?

Posturing, if they wanted to invade why haven't they?

Discendo Vox posted:

If this is the case, I'm sure you can provide this evidence of the CIA saying the invasion is going to happen tomorrow for literal weeks.

https://www.google.com/search?q=rus...ih=718&dpr=2.63

Sorry professor, replace CIA with unnamed NATO source.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
DNR/LNR forcing men of age 18-55 into conscription

https://mobile.twitter.com/CurrentTimeTv/status/1495409835290116097

Terminal autist posted:

Don't post at me tankie moron

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

If the US hasn't been yelling shrilly that Russia is going to definitely launch their invasion "tomorrow" every day for the last month, then why do I keep insisting that it has?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Flavahbeast posted:

Mongooses (mongeese?) are animals that hunt a lot like small cats, they tire prey out with feigned attacks. The huge troop movements could just be a feint to exhaust the Ukrainians and make accomplishing some other goal easier, with fake invasion plans being fed to the americans to make them look stupid when nothing happens

Alternatively, engineering a crisis in Donbass could be a bid to distract the army from an attack on Kyiv and/or Kharkiv, but that still seems insane to me. Attacking Kyiv would horrify the world, including a lot of Russians. It would turn a lot of reliably anti-nato actors against putin

https://twitter.com/Snowden/status/1494818918086631425

I mean, just the whole staging for invasion has actually increased support for NATO among a lot of countries which, I'd really be surprised if anybody expected any different?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Terminal autist posted:

Posturing, if they wanted to invade why haven't they?

https://www.google.com/search?q=rus...ih=718&dpr=2.63

Sorry professor, replace CIA with unnamed NATO source.

This doesn't appear to be "tomorrow" either; making GBS threads out a search for the phrase "russian invasion imminent" is also getting you a lot of hits for caveated claims like "could be", "may be", or "looks". You're misrepresenting something then saying the thing you made up is someone else gaslighting us, then misrepresenting it to us again.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/ChristopherJM/status/1495463308404695043?s=20&t=nOJtzAlnz2IyrHNU9aWLEA

More evidence of young men getting wrapped up into Putin's Civ game.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I know Miller, but is there a reason to think this text source is credible other than that he's sharing it?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
More people are casting doubt on David Martin's claim:

https://twitter.com/dpeleschuk/status/1495475211038334979

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

Discendo Vox posted:

I know Miller, but is there a reason to think this text source is credible other than that he's sharing it?

It's Eastern Europe: All bets are off on credibility to a certain extent. It's more that Miller has on the ground contacts in the Donbas adding context to the bigger story.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Discendo Vox posted:

After 7 years of constant war the people not already in the militia are probably not thrilled by the prospect of getting conscripted into invading Ukraine?

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
https://twitter.com/francska1/status/1495474850458226689?t=NQTt3vPU4Snz0mtrJ0UiZA&s=19

Hmmm

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

GaussianCopula posted:

After 7 years of constant war the people not already in the militia are probably not thrilled by the prospect of getting conscripted into invading Ukraine?

Sure, it's plausible, but I just don't know anything about the mediating twitter account that he's also mediating. I can't translate the source text so the characterizing language, like "brutally", makes me want to get more context and apply more scrutiny.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Literally the last person in Russia anyone should listen to on anything of importance. There is never a time Zhirinovsky is not making poo poo up.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

That's why they had him killed with COVID, it all makes sense now

e: goodamn, he actually recovered. I didn't know he was still alive

GABA ghoul fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Feb 20, 2022

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

https://twitter.com/ignis_fatum/status/1495382620137480192

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
Not just sounds anymore.

https://twitter.com/PLnewstoday/status/1495485006306811913

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

video comes from a finnish guy in lugansk who is also claiming ukraine launched infantry attacks that killed civilians? at least per google translate

not so sure about this source lol

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Are conscripts forced at gunpoint and abduction to join usually considered reliable?

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

5 sec with google leads to

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MV-media

quote:

MV-media, also known as MV??!!, formerly Mitä Vittua? ("What the gently caress?") and MV-lehti is a Finnish alternative media site based in Spain and from 2018 Finland. It was founded by Ilja Janitskin in 2014.

MV-lehti has been accused of racism and spreading fake news and hate speech.[1][2] Due to this, Janitskin was suspected of several crimes, including incitement to ethnic or racial hatred, libel and copyright infringement, and was taken into custody by the Andorran police in August 2017.[3]

So Russian fake news bullshit

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011

eke out posted:

video comes from a finnish guy in lugansk who is also claiming ukraine launched infantry attacks that killed civilians? at least per google translate

not so sure about this source lol

Oh, he's definitely on Russia's side, but that doesn't automatically mean that the video is fake.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Are conscripts forced at gunpoint and abduction to join usually considered reliable?

If their only job is to absorb bullets for the more important people, sure.

Ikasuhito fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Feb 20, 2022

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Yeah, we'd need to see where the shells are landing. If its anything like the Kindergarten attack, the one they claimed Ukraine did, that somehow hit a Kindergarten on the Ukrainian side....

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

A big flaming stink posted:

Is this the Nazi militia?

The sea of Azov is a sea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

BoldFace posted:

Oh, he's definitely on Russia's side, but that doesn't automatically mean that the video is fake.

may be real but seems like everyone has been saying the shelling has overwhelmingly been going in the reverse direction, except this one pro-putin guy with purported video of more intense bombing coming from Ukraine