Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I think I would have liked Earthchild as short romance series, rather than just have that be the setup. But we’ll see what happens. I liked it well enough as a one shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Yeah it felt like a decent one shot lol. It'll be interesting to see single dad life!

Second chapter of Akane-Banashi owned, I really loved the flashback to her dad and the reaction to his leaving Rakugo. Obviously it's still early but this could go in some real good directions!

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
So Fire Force just ended, and it was supposed to be Ōkubo's last series has he has stated he was going to retire after it. But the Final Chapter ended with the words "Next is Soul World" and please look forward to Atsushi Ōkubo's next work. So I am wondering if he changed his mind.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

So Fire Force just ended, and it was supposed to be Ōkubo's last series has he has stated he was going to retire after it. But the Final Chapter ended with the words "Next is Soul World" and please look forward to Atsushi Ōkubo's next work. So I am wondering if he changed his mind.

So how was the ending out of curiosity then (and did the series wind up tying into Soul Eater as some had theorized)?

Sort of curious if there are any plans to bring back the Fire Force anime now that the manga’s all said and done

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Larryb posted:

So how was the ending out of curiosity then (and did the series wind up tying into Soul Eater as some had theorized)?

Sort of curious if there are any plans to bring back the Fire Force anime now that the manga’s all said and done

I am thinking Season 3 of the anime will be announced soon.

To answer your first question yes very very much so.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Earthchild felt super bad as an intro. I thought it would be this fun romantic comedy thing and then it’s all “and THIS is the reason you’re gonna to follow this bland Shonen protagonist boy” so we don’t even get introduced to the hero in the first chapter. This really felt like it should have been a flashback conversation that could be done later in the series. As such, I’m still wondering “well, what IS Earthchild going to be about?” Like I get the premise of what an Earthchild is so what’s going to drive our protagonist?

It’s messy and now it’s going to fight a huge uphill battle to get readers to care.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I don't mind a downer opening chapter but even with nearly 60 pages it's clear that Earthchild was still cramming in a lot of info, character interactions, and a huge climax into it worked against it's own presentation because I don't buy the romance and wound up glossing over exposition dumps.

Alacron posted:

I'd have been down for Earthchild just being a regular romance story that happened to involve a superhero but I guess we can do whatever this is instead. :geno:

Can I interest you in Ottoman which is a seinen series but very much so a blend of romance, superhero shenanigans, aliens, and the power of love trumping all things. Scanlations haven't updated in a couple months but it's a fun little series about a husband and wife duo that find themselves at odds with, and in the center of an alien conspiracy.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
looks like chapter eight of protect me shugomaru has been removed from the Shonen Jump app

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Cloks posted:

looks like chapter eight of protect me shugomaru has been removed from the Shonen Jump app

That's the one with dickmushroom assassin, right? It's never been on the SJ app.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Brought To You By posted:

Can I interest you in Ottoman which is a seinen series but very much so a blend of romance, superhero shenanigans, aliens, and the power of love trumping all things. Scanlations haven't updated in a couple months but it's a fun little series about a husband and wife duo that find themselves at odds with, and in the center of an alien conspiracy.

For a manga ostensibly about an Ottoman, i'm noticing a distinct lack of Ayran

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Didn't realize they made a series based on that one joke from Witch Watch.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Thanks for this, and at least it didn't cut off in the middle of a fight.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Mash is so cool

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I guess the one math thing that Mash is good at is squares.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Akane-banashi: Second chapter does a great job at keeping me immersed in the series so far, with Akane's frustration at her father's dream being demeaned like that.

Elusive Samurai: drat, the chapter swerved me out, I thought she was using the kiss to mentally gain an advantage over the other girl and reduce her luck, but no, she was just straight up cheating while everyone was too distracted. Hilarious. Poor Toshiyuki's confidence took a hit though. Can run from people trying to kill you, but you can't run away from hurt feelings...

Mashle: Mash punch big numbers. Great ending to a chapter. I wonder if the reason he stopped in between 256 and the next set was because he was mentally squaring 256 in his head.

Robocco: Very predictable chapter but it was amusing enough.

Sakamoto: Decent chapter, another new Order member!

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Electric Phantasm posted:

That's the one with dickmushroom assassin, right? It's never been on the SJ app.

ah, whoops

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Earthchild: Would've been fine if it was just about a wifeguy and his incredibly strong wife. I'm meh on how the ending fridged her just so it can set up the premise of the guy angsting about raising their kid on his own.

Doron Dororon: Seems the author knows the key to a successful manga is expanding the world and introducing more fun characters for the main leads to bounce off with. The first chapter made Doron feel too similar to Ayashimon, but now this new setup makes it veer closer to Monster #8.

Witch Watch: It was cool to learn more about denim, but Moi is inconsistently written. Whenever there's plot going on, Moi is shown to be a strong, silent type who takes his duties seriously. But it's chapters like these that make him feel less like a character and more of a vehicle for the author to talk about the latest thing they've read in Wikipedia.

Blue Box: I get that relationship drama is the forefront of this series and that it's supposed to be more down-to-earth, but the way everyone keeps losing their matches is starting to leave a bad taste in my mouth.

Ibblebibble posted:

Yeah I'm glad that her dad didn't do the classic thing of moping around and becoming a drunk or it tearing the family apart, but it's still a really strong motivation for her. Also the way that the faces and expressions are drawn are ridiculously good.

I'm really hoping the reason the rear end in a top hat expelled Akane's dad and five others from Rakugo isn't some toxic poo poo about how he cared about them and thought they'd do better with a life outside of Rakugo. It's still too early to see how this shakes out, but Akane being upset at others congratulating her dad for getting a "real job" is a hopeful sign that this won't end with her having to understand the rear end in a top hat's point of view.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Dont know what to think about this chapter of Shugomaru.

It's well-meaning, but ultimately bad. It reduced someone's personal journey into a bunch of gags, and culminates with a rape-y visual of the pick-up artist holding them down and forcing it upon them. Not to mention the ending's focus is about how the pick-up artist is cool for doing this.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Elusive Samurai: drat, the chapter swerved me out, I thought she was using the kiss to mentally gain an advantage over the other girl and reduce her luck, but no, she was just straight up cheating while everyone was too distracted. Hilarious. Poor Toshiyuki's confidence took a hit though. Can run from people trying to kill you, but you can't run away from hurt feelings...

Yeah, this was a delight. It was a reminder that magic juuuust barely exists in this setting, an "explanation" for why bluffing is important in gambling, and yeah great cheating.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Pretty sure the class in AssClass did a ton of cheating and pulled a bunch of dirty tricks, too.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Man, Earthchild was a weird start. I'm actually pretty interested in where it's going with this.

Elusive: Remember, it's only cheating if they catch you.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Thanks for the rec I needed that to wash my mouth out from EarthChild.

BTB, EarthChild's editor is the same guy who was behind Samurai 8, Witch Guardian, MHA right now (IE: not great) and Red Hood - otherwise known as that comic that went out in a complete hissy fit - so don't hold your breath for that one.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

amigolupus posted:

I'm really hoping the reason the rear end in a top hat expelled Akane's dad and five others from Rakugo isn't some toxic poo poo about how he cared about them and thought they'd do better with a life outside of Rakugo. It's still too early to see how this shakes out, but Akane being upset at others congratulating her dad for getting a "real job" is a hopeful sign that this won't end with her having to understand the rear end in a top hat's point of view.

Yeah, agreed. Even if Akane's dad and the others ended up in a better place financially (and for all we know, he might have been the only one to be successful afterwards), he still had something precious maliciously taken from him, and Akane is right to be upset for him.

I'm really enjoying this series so far. There's a whole lot of promise.

quote:

It's well-meaning, but ultimately bad. It reduced someone's personal journey into a bunch of gags, and culminates with a rape-y visual of the pick-up artist holding them down and forcing it upon them. Not to mention the ending's focus is about how the pick-up artist is cool for doing this.

I think I can forgive it for the gags considering it's a gag manga, but otherwise, yeah. It's cool that he doesn't care about what's in her pants, but dude's still a creep

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
I actually am tentatively interested in Earth's Child because the wife died. I thought it was going to be another generic action romance but it's blitzing through all the usual tropes at light speed to tell a different story. Not sure if it's going to be a single dad manga or a coming of age shonen but the mangaka clearly wants to focus on a section of the usual story circle structure that we generally don't get into until a couple volumes in. The execution may not be the best since it feels kind of like a backstory exposition flashback dump usually placed later in the story but it's a cool to see something different. I'm definitely reading the next chapter at least to see where this is headed.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

if it ends up focusing on the kid, it'd feel really similar to the rakugo manga that started the week before

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

I know it doesn't match Shounen Jump's target demographic, but I hope it focuses on the dad and not the kid.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Magilumiere is pretty fun, but very idealistic and kinda sweet. :)

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
earthchild breaks so many rules for a first chapter that i'm curious about where it will go next.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

MonsterEnvy posted:

I assumed it was meant to be Soul Eater considering the last chapter literally bridges the two works. I really like the fact that Kid was modeled on Shinra btw.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
excalibur is the oldest living being. he predates shinigami by several hours so he is technically older than the entire planet. i don't know how to feel about that.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

excalibur is the oldest living being. he predates shinigami by several hours so he is technically older than the entire planet. i don't know how to feel about that.

ﺧ益ﺨ

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Whatever Okubu's new series is I hope the female characters are handled a little better like they were in Soul Eater for the most part

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Feb 22, 2022

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Plutonis posted:

ﺧ益ﺨ

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Larryb posted:

Whatever Okubu's new series is I hope the female characters are handled a little better like they were in Soul Eater for the most part

The main character is a girl and she was good.

Plutonis posted:

I assumed it was meant to be Soul Eater considering the last chapter literally bridges the two works. I really like the fact that Kid was modeled on Shinra btw.

Well yes. But I wonder if plans another work in the universe, and changed his mind on his retirement. He also put out a special chapter that made it seem like his editor convinced him to continue.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

The main character is a girl and she was good.

Yes, but that was in Soul Eater (which is why I said I wanted the female characters in Okubu’s next series to be more like Maka and Co. rather than the ones in Fire Force), though to be fair the latter case does get a little better as things go on

Larryb fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Feb 23, 2022

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Maka and her crew were just cool in general, definitely my favorite set of Shounen characters right next to Gintoki and co.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Larryb posted:

Yes, but that was in Soul Eater (which is why I said I wanted the female characters in Okubu’s next series to be more like Maka and Co. rather than the ones in Fire Force), though to be fair the latter case does get a little better as things go on

Ahh yes misread.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Electric Phantasm posted:

Maka and her crew were just cool in general, definitely my favorite set of Shounen characters right next to Gintoki and co.

Yeah, which is why it’s so weird to me that Fire Force was the way it was in the beginning (even Soul Eater’s prequel NOT had a competent cast despite being a little hornier than its predecessor)

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

https://twitter.com/shonenleaks/status/1496366009619410945?s=20&t=peQbs91IPnU8sk79iXBt8Q

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
The Women in Fire Force were generally fun too. Maki owned, Hibana was great, Iris was fun.

Tamaki was really the only culprit. Other than that it was generally fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the women got sidelined a lot, but so did everyone else that wasn't shinra and arthur. the manga had a rather large cast but most of them didn't really have much to do during the final arc. but well, that's what happens in a shounen fighting manga with a resolution that doesn't involve fighting.