Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Collapsing Farts posted:

Yeah that Slaaneshi guy is really good at temptation it seems

Yeah those rewards are actually tempting in the short term. I like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

i feel bad sayign it but the chaos rifts make me really not want to play the game. i get to turn 30 or w/e and the wind goes out of my sails cause now i have to do this bullshit instead of doing what i wanted

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

juggalo baby coffin posted:

i feel bad sayign it but the chaos rifts make me really not want to play the game. i get to turn 30 or w/e and the wind goes out of my sails cause now i have to do this bullshit instead of doing what i wanted

Someone figured out a way to edit the mod files to just stop it

As instructed in that link you can set it so that even though they'll pop up the first time, they'll close on the next turn, then won't turn up again for another 999 turns.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Every time I've confederated a Kislev faction it turns out their economy was utter dogshit and somehow incapable of supporting even a fraction of the troops they have and they just become an income crashing liability until I disband and/or suicide charge all their troops and generals. I don't recall it being that bad in TW1 or 2.

It was pretty bad in 2 (don't remember 1 that well). Part of it is the "background income" that every faction gets a 2500GP income (5000 at normal, 10,000 at easy for the player and I think reversed for the AI) out of thin air so any confederation is going to leave you 2500 income down on the combined income before supply line penalties.

The issue is that factions with armies don't normally confederate so you just don't notice this. Kostaltyn can be at full fighting strength when you confederate him because it's a quest mechanic - and for some reason if there's another big Kislevite faction they (at least in my experience) let you confederate them only a little later despite being at full strength so you don't have to fight other Kislevites for the third major city. The only other faction I recall having this sort of issue with is the Empire with confederations based on Imperial Authority when they were at full fighting strength.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

juggalo baby coffin posted:

I'm at like turn 70 and have ignored going into the realm and just use them to teleport around the map beating people up as Skarbrand. my plan, if I decide to finish the campaign, is to just go after the factions that are trying to win

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Warhammer 3 definitely has a memory leak. I had been playing for a 3 or so hours and notice that the game was starting to stutter more and on one turn the movement circle around armies stopped displaying. I opened up task manager to take a look and Warhammer was using an eyebrow-rasing 27 gigs of memory. I killed the process, but lol.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

neonchameleon posted:

It was pretty bad in 2 (don't remember 1 that well). Part of it is the "background income" that every faction gets a 2500GP income (5000 at normal, 10,000 at easy for the player and I think reversed for the AI) out of thin air so any confederation is going to leave you 2500 income down on the combined income before supply line penalties.

The issue is that factions with armies don't normally confederate so you just don't notice this. Kostaltyn can be at full fighting strength when you confederate him because it's a quest mechanic - and for some reason if there's another big Kislevite faction they (at least in my experience) let you confederate them only a little later despite being at full strength so you don't have to fight other Kislevites for the third major city. The only other faction I recall having this sort of issue with is the Empire with confederations based on Imperial Authority when they were at full fighting strength.

Yeah I remember doing the Durthu confederation quest as Drycha and instantly getting a 20k deficit because he had three full stacks. Luckily they were all by the big tree so I was able to throw away most of his elves taking that

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Someone at Creative Assembly decided Skrag's campaign was too fun and so his first quest battle should be a dumb pile of poo poo where he gets surrounded and sniped by Warpfire cannons, jeeeezus this just ain't fun.

At least I finally got rid of Karl Franz (somebody said earlier he's much more cowardly now, and that's totally true. What a weenie!)

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
Replayed the final campaign battle and this time it didn't bug out on me. My reward was a typo.
The final battle wasn't very good. Working my way through a dozen soul grinders was more tedious then fun or challenging. I do like that CA is trying to make a more story focused campaign, but their attempts so far have not been great. I hope future DLCs have their own story stuff and don't tie into the Realm of Chaos story.

Also Be'lakor just appeared up at my capitol? There was no pop up or other story thingy that explained why he was there. :shrug: I think that theory that that was a last minute change CA did because of the "We want Be'lakor for 9nth lord" poo poo might be true.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Someone at Creative Assembly decided Skrag's campaign was too fun and so his first quest battle should be a dumb pile of poo poo where he gets surrounded and sniped by Warpfire cannons, jeeeezus this just ain't fun.
CA seemed to have reacted to the complaints that the quest/story battles were too easy in WH1 & WH2 with a firm "gently caress you" in WH3.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

My solution was to smash the rats behind me as fast as possible and have a contingent of Gorgers stalking to the side, once the warp lightning cannons are isloated the gorgers sweep in and take them out. This is because the first time I did the fight I tried to rout that group first and my hero took a single volley from the war lightning cannons and went to 20%.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

I think that layout is actually pretty good for the ogres - get out of the middle asap, the rats are split in two groups and ogres are fast so just maul one group and then the other

I did it too early on Very Hard and still managed to beat it without many casualties because the AI screwed up, after I routed half the rats I hid my troops behind the big rock and the AI moved their warp cannons up to try and get line of sight while at the same time pulling their infantry back. Getting rid of the cannons asap is important, ogres are very weak vs cannonballs. Little grom is the bane of my existence

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

I actually liked Skrag's battle and didn't find it that difficult? Bum rush the catapult army first, take out the Warp Lightnings with either Gorgers or a summoned Manticore, and use Dismember to slow the other army's advance. Afterwards even Halberd Stormvermin go down pretty quickly to Ogre charges.

Side note, the actual map for Skrag's battle is really nice looking. Nothing fancy but it's exactly how I pictured the Mountains of Mourn looking :allears:

Blooming Brilliant fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Feb 20, 2022

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
How do you unlock Exhalted Bloodthirsters for generals as Skarbrand? They're there in custom battles.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Funky See Funky Do posted:

How do you unlock Exhalted Bloodthirsters for generals as Skarbrand? They're there in custom battles.

Rank up a Bloodletter general and I believe at rank 12 you get an event to turn them into an Exhalted Bloodthrister.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Randarkman posted:

Someone figured out a way to edit the mod files to just stop it

As instructed in that link you can set it so that even though they'll pop up the first time, they'll close on the next turn, then won't turn up again for another 999 turns.

Looks like a few tables are still shared between II and III but not very many. Pretty easy to add another III faction's units to be recruitable for another faction but I haven't been able to add any of II's units as recruitable from a building.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Blooming Brilliant posted:

I actually liked Skrag's battle and didn't find it that difficult? Bum rush the catapult army first, take out the Warp Lightnings with either Gorgers or a summoned Manticore, and use Dismember to slow the other army's advance. Afterwards even Halberd Stormvermin go down pretty quickly to Ogre charges.

Side note, the actual map for Skrag's battle is really nice looking. Nothing fancy but it's exactly how I pictured the Mountains of Mourn looking :allears:

I literally had one play where three volleys took Skrag to 40% and he broke, which pretty much tanked my chances. I did eventually get it but not being able to set my formation and hoping RNG doesn't carry off my lord was pretty irritating.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I hope in the combined world map the Chaos Rifts still exist but are made much more infrequent than every 30 turns. They're a nice "oh poo poo, chaos is invading" catastrophe but when they pop up every 30 turns it takes all the charm away. Maybe in the combined map they could be regionalized with Chaos invading a specific continent/area heavily and only a few rifts appearing throughout the rest of the world - it would turn wherever the invasion was into an all-out warzone as everyone rushed to either do chaos invasion stuff or use the rifts to move around the map.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

deep dish peat moss posted:

I hope in the combined world map the Chaos Rifts still exist but are made much more infrequent than every 30 turns. They're a nice "oh poo poo, chaos is invading" catastrophe but when they pop up every 30 turns it takes all the charm away. Maybe in the combined map they could be regionalized with Chaos invading a specific continent/area heavily and only a few rifts appearing throughout the rest of the world - it would turn wherever the invasion was into an all-out warzone as everyone rushed to either do chaos invasion stuff or use the rifts to move around the map.

Hopefully they will:

1) give you the option to turn them off, like with the chaos invasion in WH2
2) work similarly to the chaos invasion in WH2 where nothing happens for the first 100 turns or so
3) Once they turn on, you can venture into the Realms of Chaos to fight some battles there and turn them off, temporarily or otherwise. Maybe to permanently turn them off you need to invade all four realms at the same time or something.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
Personally I like the portals and invaders -- it shakes up the map a bit and keeps the AI on their toes. Since it's relatively evenly dispersed it doesn't have the recent Mortal Empires invasion problem where it just wipes out Malekith and Kislev / Throt and then runs out of steam. I don't like waiting for them to pop up to enter the Chaos realm though, and I don't like the chaos realms much either.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
I wonder how they're going to incorporate all the chaos stuff into Immortal Empires. I find the chaos wastes the least interesting part of the map so I wouldn't mind if that was squished a bit to make room for the better parts. Maybe the actual god realms could be totally separate from the map and require some kind of ritual to enter. The odd portal could occasionally show up as an event maybe.

Will check out a few more factions but I think I just don't find the chaos ones very interesting, so I'll probably put this on the back burner once elden ring comes out. Immortal Empires is gonna be so sweet though.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I know they won't but they need to entirely scrap the defensive supplies system for the big map. Hopefully it can at least be modded out.

Does anyone actually like it?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I don't like that you can just keep plopping down towers and barricades, especially right in front of the enemy army, much rather it be something they can do at the start and it's done.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

I think both starting supplies and gain are determined by buildings and techs, so that can almost certainly be modded. Also it's pretty clear that the points where you can build blockers and towers are designated by the map, so any custom or edited maps could choose where to put them and also whether to include them at all.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
So far I find the battles too hectic for the defensive buildings to matter much. It takes time to build them and the barricades are neat in theory but seldom in useful locations to really matter.

They also made the mistake of GCCM in making visually pretty city maps but a hassle to actually fight in on either side. Few of the walled settlements have enough wall towers to concentrate fire usefully. The garrisons are not numerous enough to really take advantage of defense in depth. Pathing is still wonky and even spry infantry feel like they are waddling through molasses to get from one end of the city to the other.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I will say I have had some pretty good defensive wins with basic garrisons against twice their size invasions, the chokepoint heavy layouts really let you bottleneck the enemy at a couple locations and even swap out exhausted troops for a fresh unit.

Doesn't matter if the AI has fliers because like in every total war game they are eager to send them in immediately to die alone.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I will say I have had some pretty good defensive wins with basic garrisons against twice their size invasions, the chokepoint heavy layouts really let you bottleneck the enemy at a couple locations and even swap out exhausted troops for a fresh unit.

Doesn't matter if the AI has fliers because like in every total war game they are eager to send them in immediately to die alone.

I'm distressed to learn I'm an AI like this.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Still looking through the data.pack. I believe that if towers are bothering you somewhat, you can edit the missile_weapons_tables table. There, it includes all the towers for both settlement and survival. In theory, you could just change the tower projectile to whatever the weakest projectile is in the game. Dunno if thats goblin bows maybe? I haven't had a chance to test if this works yet. Unfortunately the table that contains the projectile stats themselves can't be edited yet.

DeadFatDuckFat fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Feb 20, 2022

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
Another minor thing is that the towers and barricades are all generic regardless of faction. It's a small thing but takes away from the atmosphere slightly.

I know it seems like people are complaining a lot but I think that's just because this is such a great game with so much potential, and it's going to be made better and better by updates, dlc and mods over the coming years.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I've never thought siege or settlement battles were fun in any Total War game. Unit control is too imprecise and slow and it makes the kind of tight maneuvering you need in sieges and settlement battles frustrating and tedious. Maybe it's just because I never bothered learning how to play them well, but every time I've tried they feel like I spend the entire time chaotically micromanaging the tiniest movements of every unit I have to make sure they actually end up where I want them to go and don't get in each others' way and that is the antithesis of fun to me. So I always either besiege the settlement and try to get them to come out and fight me in the field (which doesn't happen often) or I just auto-resolve them all.

That has unfortunately been killing this game for me because they make up probably 90% of all battles now, and Total War isn't nearly as fun when you're autoresolving everything. I guess I forgot what it was like playing Warhammer 2 before mods that turned off settlement walls existed :(

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Still looking through the data.pack. I believe that if towers are bothering you somewhat, you can edit the missile_weapons_tables table. There, it includes all the towers for both settlement and survival. In theory, you could just change the tower projectile to whatever the weakest projectile is in the game. Dunno if thats goblin bows maybe? I haven't had a chance to test if this works yet. Unfortunately the table that contains the projectile stats themselves can't be edited yet.

It's not the damage that towers do it's that the whole system exists. How're you looking at the data.pack has rpfm updated for wh3? I couldn't open any of the tables with new data in them when I tried.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
The campaign mechanics suck.

They are fine for 1 playthrough, but in successive playthroughs you quickly hit a point where it's best to just sit where you are and hit end turn until the next wave of gates. I could keep pushing out and map painting, but it would just stretch me thinner and make it harder to deal with the internal invasions. So I just make sure that I've got one top-tier army for the realms, and a bunch of mediocre armies to hold ground and just hit end turn over and over again.

They really need an option to turn them off because the campaign mechanics actively get in the way of enjoying some of the faction mechanics.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Funky See Funky Do posted:

It's not the damage that towers do it's that the whole system exists. How're you looking at the data.pack has rpfm updated for wh3? I couldn't open any of the tables with new data in them when I tried.

It has not updated, I believe we'll need the assembly kit from CA to really open the new tables. A few of the tables can still be opened though, I gave tzeentch soul grinders a better projectile (hellcannons)

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

That was very much the case with the Vortex campaign in Warhammer 2, as well. Fun once just to see what was up with it, but then you realize that it heavily restricts the way you play and is super linear, much like this one :(

Gimme that Mortal Empires, CA

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Heros can cheaply and easily wipe out the portals before any armies spawn

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

I didn't notice until the third wave that heroes can close them. Definitely way better than keeping a couple armies in my backfield

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

The Chad Jihad posted:

It's still a bunch of unnecessary busywork which gets harder as you expand. The AI is a lot more aggressive in attacking your borders. So you've got external and internal threats to deal with that just gets exponentially harder to deal with the more territory you have.

This is my main complaint. Yes if you just sit in Kislev and don't expand further, it's easy to deal with. The game incentivizes you to just sit in a small territory and do nothing but hit end turn until the next wave of gates.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I think they spawn at the same place every time, and one per province, so if you have enough heroes it's pretty easy to lock it all up. If you really want to hero spam, you can probably even block rivals from finishing the race by following around their lords with heroes and closing their portals too.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Honestly after playing a bunch I haven't really found a faction that clicks with me in TWW3.
  • Kislev is *close*, but after playing a ton of them I've sick to loving death of using kossar blobs but it's all you can really afford and maintain for most of their campaign. It's a shame because I'd say the only actually poor units in their roster are Armored Kossars, but you simply can't afford to use most of the roster in any numbers for the majority of the campaign due to how many fires you have to be putting out necessitating running multiple stacks.
  • Cathay is also okay but doing town attacks and sieges with them makes me want to die IRL because their melee troops are so loving horrible and their cavalry units are utterly embarrassing.
  • Ogres are fun on the battlefield but the meat mechanic reminds me of food from release TWW2 skaven - an incredibly annoying and limiting albatross around your neck that feels like a fun tax. It also makes the already questionable chaos realms even more "fun" for them.
  • Tzeentch's armies would be extremely fun to pilot except CA completely forgot to give the faction any sort of replenishment at all so you can never make any mistakes or click autoresolve or your army is basically scrapped.
  • Slaanesh also has almost no replenishment to work with just like Tzeentch, except unlike Tzeentch they actually have to engage in melee combat and don't have bullshit barriers. Again, super fun to pilot on the battlefield but utterly let down by CA somehow forgetting replenishment is an important thing for a faction to have.
  • Nurgle is possibly one of the worst designed player campaign armies I've ever played. Every battle against a faction with ranged units consists of you taking enormous casualties simply to engage in melee in the first place, whereupon you will take more casualties slowly grinding them down with your poo poo tier damage output. Fighting Tzeentch as this faction should be classified as cruel and unusual punishment. The only point at which playing them becomes not horrible is when you get the vanguard deployment plague, at which point they become somewhat acceptable.
  • Khorne is so strong that you can box select your army and A move at the enemy and win, and his campaign mechanics are Taurox on steroids except you also get tons of free armies. Fun to play but so strong it's like a cheat code.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

The Chad Jihad posted:

Yeah, they made it pretty easy to increase your hero amount from tier 3 building in minor settlements so I just build one of those in every province. Also I’ve never really played these games past turn 100 often so it’s not like any AI is going to force me to lose my campaign if I ignore going for the souls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Kanos posted:

Honestly after playing a bunch I haven't really found a faction that clicks with me in TWW3.

I think all of the factions are going to be very fun to play against in the combined map, but yeah, same. I'm disappointed in all of the factions except Ogres. Ogres' meat mechanic really peters out toward mid/late game and you essentially have unlimited meat after parking a lord near a camp for a couple turns so it's not as bad as it seems. They're the only ones I'm excited to keep playing as, but I agree with your assessments of all the rest, they're all like "This would be fun if not for this hugely boring major aspect of the faction"

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Feb 20, 2022