Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Poirot: "Where were you the night there was a death on the nile?"

Kalelno:

"Ah wah bah hah ahgah bah hah wah. Agh habba habba gahwah. Hahga bah. Gah. Fah wah tah hahg bah."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Improbable Lobster posted:

She just did a song with Kesha's old rapist manager IIRC so yeah I think she just doesn't give a poo poo

Yeah she's long since burned up whatever "daring" or "provocative" street cred she initially had

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Unless you're Brando or DeNiro, nobody should do method acting, it's the most overrated performance style out there. Instead actors should just follow this bit of sage advice:

I've watched a few older movies lately and I like that, and particularly Michael Caine struck me as that kind of old school acting, where you know they're acting but also they're making you believe the whole thing. And the camera goes off and they probably say "ahh sod it time for an english tea", and they don't pretend to be a sci fi warrior when they go home.

Is he supposed to be a method actor? He seems more concerned with technique and tricks for camera acting and so on, and that seems to be enough

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZPLVDwEr7Y

And the further back in time you go, the more exaggerated film acting can be, like in the 1930's, but hey they're telling a story and it works...

Yeah method acting sounds kinda bullshit

edit: https://www.indiewire.com/2021/08/michael-caine-tried-not-to-blink-1234660255/#!

As Caine told Mirror, the veteran star of more than 130 films picked up a tip from the book “Teach Yourself Acting.” He said, “One thing that stuck in my mind was, ‘Don’t blink. You must never blink’. “For the next eight years, I walked around trying not to blink. People around me, my mother and everybody, thought I had gone nuts.”

AARD VARKMAN posted:

It always is, unless it isn't. I'm sure I read Death on the Nile at some point since I've read 50+ Agatha Christie novels but absolute LOL at the idea of remembering who did it in one of those for more than a week (outside the Big Ones, like Orient Express, obviously)

glad I'm not the only one

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

AARD VARKMAN posted:

Whodunnits loving pwn and I am going to watch the mushmouth Poirot Nile movie and I'm going to both love it and despise it because Christie novels deserve BETTER

Yeah I love whodunnits.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Hackers film 1995 posted:

cannibal guy: “its too late. they fired it.”
*a blue laser fires into the sky murdering yet another person on the boat*
*gal gadot falls from the sky landing on one knee and splintering the deck*
kal el no: “nah I kno, that ahnly love can truly save da worl. So ah stay, ah fight, and ahgive, for the world I know ca be.”
*credits*

kmao

e: *lmao

Cubone fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Feb 20, 2022

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Murder She Wrote is the GOAT

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Vakal posted:

How come Batman doesn't dance anymore?

ladies, give him a chance to do a hip hop dance

give him a chance to do a dance

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

whoa! look at him go!

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Murder She Wrote is the GOAT

where were you when i was shoutimg this from the rooftops a couple months ago

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

If you’re ever in London you should go see Mousetrap, it’s really good.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Unless it's the Nathan Lane movie I'll pass.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I think it's pretty gauche to make fun of someone's accent or speech impediment, regardless of their acting ability. let's turn the conversation back to what really matters, which is the fact that gal gadot bombed a school bus full of Palestinian kids in the summer of 2007

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Kingo Ligma posted:

Imagine any other profession where this was normal and acceptable.

"Yeah I just can't really fill out the spreadsheet unless I send used condoms and dead rodents to my coworkers. It's just my accounts payable technique".

You office never had a dedicated IT guy, did it...

...or it was you and we hate to tell you, all that stuff you did was considered weird, sorry.

Barudak posted:

Elevated Horror is such a good term

I always felt like "Supernatural Drama|Horror|Thriller|etc." could fill that term and not conjure the backhanded"okay, it's not actually scary, but it's good" as a defense.

I think the only recent "Elevated horror" I'd consider a horror movie is It Follows, but that doesn't mean I didn't like the other usual suspects.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

AARD VARKMAN posted:

where were you when i was shoutimg this from the rooftops a couple months ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSUe-SWotEo

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

https://vimeo.com/679558676

Holy poo poo, someone spent a year animating portions of that Eternals fight. Quite impressive work. The amount of people needed to make these movies is crazy

edit: You can click the video title to go to the description where they explain how the actor eventually became all CG

El Diablo Bob O
Sep 3, 2011

Hay nada mas,
Oh si' my way!

stillvisions posted:

I think the only recent "Elevated horror" I'd consider a horror movie is It Follows, but that doesn't mean I didn't like the other usual suspects.

I feel like "It Comes At Night" fits that criteria.

To be fair, I did happen to watch it at the beginning of the pandemic. Wikipedia categorizes it as "psychological horror" which I disagree with completely.

Now this is "Elevated Horror!"

Strabo4
Jun 1, 2007

Oh god, I'm 'sperging all
over this thread too!

At least they're getting paid, right? (ed: CGI animators)

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

"Paddington"

was a lovely little family friendly romp. I was surprised by how actually funny it was, especially the visual gags. I found the immigrant metaphor to be slightly problematic, in the sense that the movie presumes the only morally correct way to enter British society is through assimilation, but I'm guessing that's a result of the plot being beholden to the source material (disclaimer: I'm American. the movie probably hits different if you're an English native)

1.5 out of 5 kalel no's, too bad the sequel isn't on Netflix

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

I've watched a few older movies lately and I like that, and particularly Michael Caine struck me as that kind of old school acting, where you know they're acting but also they're making you believe the whole thing. And the camera goes off and they probably say "ahh sod it time for an english tea", and they don't pretend to be a sci fi warrior when they go home.

Is he supposed to be a method actor? He seems more concerned with technique and tricks for camera acting and so on, and that seems to be enough

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZPLVDwEr7Y

And the further back in time you go, the more exaggerated film acting can be, like in the 1930's, but hey they're telling a story and it works...

Yeah method acting sounds kinda bullshit

edit: https://www.indiewire.com/2021/08/michael-caine-tried-not-to-blink-1234660255/#!

As Caine told Mirror, the veteran star of more than 130 films picked up a tip from the book “Teach Yourself Acting.” He said, “One thing that stuck in my mind was, ‘Don’t blink. You must never blink’. “For the next eight years, I walked around trying not to blink. People around me, my mother and everybody, thought I had gone nuts.”

glad I'm not the only one

I don't think Caine's a method actor per se, he probably did a bit of research for a role in his younger days, but I don't think he would go sleep out in the desert for when he was doing Zulu or anything like that

Also any excuse to post this bit by Peter Serafinowicz

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdBZ3Pg0-OM

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

https://vimeo.com/679558676

Holy poo poo, someone spent a year animating portions of that Eternals fight. Quite impressive work. The amount of people needed to make these movies is crazy

You just described literally every blockbuster movie from the past 20 years or so.

Eternals VFX are dogshit anyway.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Strabo4 posted:

It's sweatshop labor that is endemic of the horrific economic issues touched on in Squid Game and Parasite, but, yeah, they got "paid".

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

I watched 5cream last night and I was very surprised when chester from the lonely island was one of the cops

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Batman cos they got the R. Patz one soon and don’t wanna stink it up at all.

Cyborg cos WB seem to hate that dude.

Huh. I wonder what it is about cyborg that makes Warner Brothers executives dislike him specifically. Like what's different about him from the other Justice League characters? It's all a big mystery :confused:

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

kalel posted:

I think it's pretty gauche to make fun of someone's accent or speech impediment, regardless of their acting ability. let's turn the conversation back to what really matters, which is the fact that gal gadot bombed a school bus full of Palestinian kids in the summer of 2007

That school bus drove past a pebble, which the Palestinian "children" were going to use to start the Holocaust 2 , you anti semite.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Sagebrush posted:

Huh. I wonder what it is about cyborg that makes Warner Brothers executives dislike him specifically. Like what's different about him from the other Justice League characters? It's all a big mystery :confused:

a kinda non-answer from gunn:
"You know, I don’t know what I can — there are reasons for it, but I’m actually uncertain whether I can say what those reasons are. It might have to do with future stuff."

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Sagebrush posted:

Am I the one that has to say it? Fine. loving fine.

CYBORG IS THE BLACK ONE. He's the only black member of the Justice league. Yes there's a black green lantern. But where is he? Oh? Nowhere? That's odd. Maybe it's because he's black.

Reboot Superman 3 times, reboot Batman 3 times, as many shots as it takes with flash. Whaaaaat a BLACK green lantern????????????? I don't know if America is ready for that.

Also CYBORG is a walking CGI effect so he's expensive to put in things, unless you use the Doom Patrol version. And they should, because that cyborg loving RULES.

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN

Trollologist posted:

CYBORG IS THE BLACK ONE. He's the only black member of the Justice league. Yes there's a black green lantern. But where is he? Oh? Nowhere? That's odd. Maybe it's because he's black.

Reboot Superman 3 times, reboot Batman 3 times, as many shots as it takes with flash. Whaaaaat a BLACK green lantern????????????? I don't know if America is ready for that.

Also CYBORG is a walking CGI effect so he's expensive to put in things, unless you use the Doom Patrol version. And they should, because that cyborg loving RULES.

Cyborg is a member of 14 different super-teams, he's such a slut.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

Strabo4 posted:

Ahahahahhahahajhajajajjajajajhahahahhahahahahahahhahahahahhahahahhahahahhahahahahahahahhahahahahahhahahahahahhahahahhhahahahahhahahahahhahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahwhwhwhhwhwhwhwhwhwhwhhahahahahahhahahahahahahhahahahahhahahahahahhahahhahqhqhqhqhqhqhhqhahahhahahahhahahahahahhahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahhahahahahhahahahahhahahahahahahhahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahhahahahahahhahahahahahahahahhahahahahahhahahaha

Ha

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
15 minutes into Texas Chainsaw Massacre and I hate all these people already

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
Okay, he just broke a cops forearm and started stabbing him in the neck with his exposed bone this might be all right

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Trollologist posted:

What level of irony are we on here? Because that was the point I was making with my facetious questions, yes

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

A bigger problem is that cyborg kind of sucks. Even his name is low effort as gently caress. The sad thing is that DC (the Republican party to Marvel's democrats) don't have any black characters that don't have "black x" as their name, or aren't over shadowed by a worse white version of the same character (green lantern).

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Trollologist posted:

Am I the one that has to say it?

No, you aren't, because we all knew the reason and that was :thejoke:

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

I'm beginning to suspect that poster is not a fully qualified and licensed trollologist

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Kingo Ligma posted:

I'm beginning to suspect that poster is not a fully qualified and licensed trollologist

Admittedly, I'm not up on my licensing. While I did major in Trollology, I haven't been in the field for a while.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
The only version of Cyborg I ever liked is the one in the Flashpoint Paradox alt universe as he looks like RoboCop on steroids.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Wow that's a small head.

E, opps my monitor was off

E2, Hey, that robot has a tiny head too!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Trollologist posted:

and they also took out batman, the DARK KNIGHT, how deep does this rabbit hole go?!?

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Tunicate posted:

and they also took out batman, the DARK KNIGHT, how deep does this rabbit hole go?!?

I'd wager that DC didn't want to sully The Batman with him slumming it in Peacemaker.

Again, if it's not because CYBORG is black. It's probably because he's expensive to render.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

This is the one true Cyborg

Strabo4 posted:

The guys holding up the lights get paid more and have unions protecting them