Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I only got around to the first season but it had some funny and interesting skits. One of the Pinky and the Brain segments got really dark though, in an interesting way. Gonna get around to the second season eventually to see if they follow up with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The Animaniacd reboot was great but they ruined the Chicken Boo skit.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Were there lots of gratuitous references to old hollywood and famous movies from the 60s and 70s that aren’t actually jokes?

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
In Call of Duty: Modern Warfare (2019) there's a mission where you're a CIA operative helping freedom fighters in a fictional middle eastern country and this part made my jaw drop.

Polygon posted:

During the level in question, the leader of the rebels briefs the CIA officer on the terrain they’ll be using to set up an ambush.

A video zooms into the site of the ambush in Modern Warfare’s “Highway of Death” level. It’s a rural road off a major highway, littered with bombed-out vehicles.

“If they try to escape to the mountains,” she says, “there is only one road [...] the Highway of Death. The Russians bombed it during the invasion, killing the people trying to escape.”

The image from the game.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Kevin DuBrow posted:

The image from the game.

???

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

As with many things, IRL it was a US war crime

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

bunnyofdoom posted:

As with many things, IRL it was a US war crime

I assumed that, but I must admit, I am not familiar with every US war crime's satellite/air photos. There are a lot of them to remember.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

sweet geek swag posted:

I assumed that, but I must admit, I am not familiar with every US war crime's satellite/air photos. There are a lot of them to remember.

It's also literally called the Highway of Death.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Excuse me but his is the Disney cartoon discussion thread

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I bet Disney does war crimes in Kingdom Hearts.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Disney wasn't just cable in the 1980s, but premium cable. Depending on your provider, you'd be paying $5-$12 a month for it, which was also the going rate for HBO. Based on that we did get Nickelodeon, I assume it was included in basic cable.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

It's also literally called the Highway of Death.

Call of Duty is basically just US propaganda at this point. It isn't even subtle.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

When I see people talk about Disney Channel, all I remember is Dumbo's Circus and Welcome to Pooh Corner.

They were both creepy as all hell.

Also where I lived, they weren't actually on the Disney Channel, we didn't have that. It was called Family Channel here. But I'm pretty sure they were made by Disney Channel then licensed to other channels internationally.

SulfurMonoxideCute has a new favorite as of 08:34 on Feb 20, 2022

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

sweet geek swag posted:

Call of Duty is basically just US propaganda at this point. It isn't even subtle.

They even hired Oliver North as a consultant. And he cameos in Black Ops 2. Seriously.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Just remembered that apparently Fraggle Rock had different live-action segments for different markets, and it was only a lighthouse in the UK. But it's called Fraggle Rock! How is that not under a lighthouse?!

Also that someone thought 'now let's see, what's familiar and appealing to British children? Ah yes, an old lighthouse keeper, as they have in every town'

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

EdBlackadder posted:

I'm in my late 30s and I recall Disney being a CITV thing, I remember they showed Tazmania in the 90s. I don't remember who showed OG Ducktails but I remember watching it.

Funny was talking about this with my wife (early 30s) and we both remember a lot more Looney Tunes. And , of course, Animaniacs.

In the 80s and early 90s the BBC and ITV used the 5 minute cartoon shorts to fill random gaps in the schedule that happened because of regional programming differences. ITV generally used Looney Tunes, and BBC used Tom and Jerry. The slightly longer stuff like Ducktales was all ITV iirc. The feature length films were basically never shown at all because Disney kept strict control of them. You used to get an hour-long Disney clip show every Christmas where they'd show clips like the broom scene from Fantasia, but I remember it being a Big Deal when they eventually started showing full Disney films on TV in the early 90s.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

HopperUK posted:

Just remembered that apparently Fraggle Rock had different live-action segments for different markets, and it was only a lighthouse in the UK. But it's called Fraggle Rock! How is that not under a lighthouse?!

Also that someone thought 'now let's see, what's familiar and appealing to British children? Ah yes, an old lighthouse keeper, as they have in every town'

That's weird, I did not know that about the different show versions for US, UK, France and Germany. I rewatched the show a few years ago and feel like it did age well, however.

Apparently there is a new one but I don't have apple TV so not sure when I'll ever see it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

HopperUK posted:

Lighthouses were a big thing around then, Round the Twist coming to mind.

Sweevo posted:

In the 80s and early 90s the BBC and ITV used the 5 minute cartoon shorts to fill random gaps in the schedule that happened because of regional programming differences. ITV generally used Looney Tunes, and BBC used Tom and Jerry. The slightly longer stuff like Ducktales was all ITV iirc. The feature length films were basically never shown at all because Disney kept strict control of them. You used to get an hour-long Disney clip show every Christmas where they'd show clips like the broom scene from Fantasia, but I remember it being a Big Deal when they eventually started showing full Disney films on TV in the early 90s.

I briefly worked for a Blockbuster and the manager talked about how they take care of their Disney stuff because it's so hard to get, Disney kept a tight hold on physical media- an artificial scarcity so people would go nuts when they finally opened the vault for a bit.

Seems it ended up a bad idea since they ended up both swamped out of mindshare by their competitors and just encouraging piracy, and then caught completely flat-footed by digital until they finally caught up. Disney took even longer than the music industry to catch up to the 21st century, and they're lucky it didn't break them the same way.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
My 70/80s UK childhood had me absolutely convinced that lighthouse keeper was just another possible occupation one could achieve, like nurse, train conductor, or farmer.

Obviously the reason I've never met one was because they were too busy having extremely isolated adventures that test their rugged psychological fitness. I can respect that.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

ynohtna posted:

My 70/80s UK childhood had me absolutely convinced that lighthouse keeper was just another possible occupation one could achieve, like nurse, train conductor, or farmer.

Obviously the reason I've never met one was because they were too busy having extremely isolated adventures that test their rugged psychological fitness. I can respect that.

that's all well and good, but yer fond of me lobster, ain't ye? At least tell me yer fond of me lobster

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I didn't give a poo poo about Disney during the day, could only watch it at my grandparents house anyways, but at night they went into the Vault and showed Zorro and Davey Crocket and older cartoons, especially Goofy ones, and those were great

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Man, I wish lighthouse keeper was still a job. I'd love that so much right now. Safe from COVID, plenty of time to read and watch movies or video games, get to enjoy nature, work that is regular and meaningful and actually helpful to people. God drat that'd own.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Man, I wish lighthouse keeper was still a job. I'd love that so much right now. Safe from COVID, plenty of time to read and watch movies or video games, get to enjoy nature, work that is regular and meaningful and actually helpful to people. God drat that'd own.

They always need more ice-core drillers at most Antarctic research stations. McMurdo Station has a dedicated repairperson for their bowling alley as well, as it’s some kind of temperamental 50s technology that not many people know how to fix these days.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

You also get to poop off the railing into the choppy rocks and surf below

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Watch The Lighthouse and then get back to me on whether or not you still want to do it.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Lighthouses were a big thing around then, Round the Twist coming to mind.

I briefly worked for a Blockbuster and the manager talked about how they take care of their Disney stuff because it's so hard to get, Disney kept a tight hold on physical media- an artificial scarcity so people would go nuts when they finally opened the vault for a bit.

Seems it ended up a bad idea since they ended up both swamped out of mindshare by their competitors and just encouraging piracy, and then caught completely flat-footed by digital until they finally caught up. Disney took even longer than the music industry to catch up to the 21st century, and they're lucky it didn't break them the same way.

I hope that Disney is completely destroyed within our lifetimes

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Also positioning yourself so the light is transited by your nude body, genitals erect, the salt spray biting frigid against your searing sexual magnificence

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Plus you get to jack off with Batman

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

AceOfFlames posted:

Watch The Lighthouse and then get back to me on whether or not you still want to do it.

Love that movie and I mean, yeah I'd love to go insane with Willem Dafoe.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
When I was in elementary school we learned the Disney song Zippity doo dah in music class. It's a cute feel good song. The teacher wanted to show us the movie it was from and said how difficult it was and that he'd been looking for years and finally found a copy.

It was Song of the South.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

When my grandma was young, before she married, she worked (as was usual at the time) as a live-in maid/housekeeper for a family.

The family of the lighthouse keeper right here:

Yeah, the lighthouse keeper had his whole family living out there, kids and all. (It's close enough to the nearest populated island so you can easily row back and forth when the weather is a bit calmer.)

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
What I find weird about Donald Duck is that in the comics he has normal dialogue, but in the cartoons he's incomprehensible.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Gargamel Gibson posted:

What I find weird about Donald Duck is that in the comics he has normal dialogue, but in the cartoons he's incomprehensible.

The comic books, I understand, translate him from his native Finnish.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I am eager to see how horribly Disney does the live action Hunchback. I believe they've decided not to do Pocahontas but Hunchback might be a push hard too.

Of course all will be forgiven if they just dub over whatever schmuck plays Frollo with Tony Jay's lines.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Tupac hologram frollo.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Love that movie and I mean, yeah I'd love to go insane with Willem Dafoe.

Fair enough.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

deoju posted:

When I was in elementary school we learned the Disney song Zippity doo dah in music class. It's a cute feel good song. The teacher wanted to show us the movie it was from and said how difficult it was and that he'd been looking for years and finally found a copy.

It was Song of the South.

It showed up, at least in part, in my elementary school music class as well. I think it must have just been “Zippity Doo Dah” as it appears on “Disney’s Sing Along Songs,” but I could have sworn it also had the tarbaby fable - but that doesn’t seem to line up with the various releases mentioned on Wikipedia.

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Cowslips Warren posted:

I am eager to see how horribly Disney does the live action Hunchback. I believe they've decided not to do Pocahontas but Hunchback might be a push hard too.

Of course all will be forgiven if they just dub over whatever schmuck plays Frollo with Tony Jay's lines.

Disney will restore and own Notre Dam

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Volcott posted:

Tupac hologram frollo.

Frollo played by hologram Tupac and voiced by Tony Jay clips

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

There's a seasonal job here that's kind of similar. Forest fire watch. You live in a tiny cabin on top of a mountain for fire season. No electricity aside from a solar panel and a generator but they'll helicopter drop you supplies and food. I've considered applying for a season, I may still do that someday. I learned during covid and the few years prior when a chronic illness got severe that I am exceptionally good at hanging out by myself all the time.

There is an issue with morons not respecting your space sometimes. I was chatting with one a few years back after a hike, and she said a lot of people like to hike at night, which I do to, but they're apparently unaware that someone lives in the building and they shine their lights in the windows and sometimes they to get in. She ended up carrying up a bunch of handmade signs telling people to stay away unless invited, and to never use the outhouse so it doesn't overflow.