Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Are Morrie and Ruby actually good additions. It always seemed to me that adding them to the team would feel incredibly awkward, I liked that they kept the cast small and focused in 8, and adding a side character and a joke character seems strange.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

subujun
Mar 31, 2010
I feel that Red was a good addition; she joins right when you thought she would have in the original game. The few added scenes of her I feel work well. Morrie just feels like a bonus/secret character, and his unlock conditions pretty much confirm that since you have to go out of your way to get him to join. I don't remember him adding much in the way of extra scenes besides a funny bit during the ending.

As others have said; the only downside to the 3DS version are the downgraded graphics and lack of orchestrated soundtrack. No random encounters though is such a draw that I feel like I could never return to the original version again.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Morrie and Red are very strong.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Bongo Bill posted:

Morrie and Red are very strong.

Yea, quite strong. I'd probably rank the characters as Hero > Red = Morrie > Jessica > Angelo > Yangus

Red gets a 300%-400% attack that only costs 10mp, a 12mp Kazing, a 0 MP 80% 3-4 random target attack and can easily get more gold and items for the party. Also her best armor besides MK Armor increases her max HP by 100 and her agi by a whopping 200.

Morrie gets a skill that boosts his Tension by 2 levels for 0mp, a skill that boosts an ally's Tension by 1-2 levels also 0mp, Kazing, a club version of Executioner, Rake N Break to remove Tension and buffs from enemies, 0mp Kasap, and a 200% 10mp full screen attack.

At the end of my last playthrough, Yangus was pretty much a Kerplunk bot and I'd switch Jessica for Angelo when I wanted more defensive options.

Kuros fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Feb 21, 2022

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Also, if you have a hacked 3DS you can patch the orchestrated soundtrack back in IIRC.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Red's instant death attack also, like, works. Angelo's Thwack series? Can't relate.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

It's been a long time since I've played DQ8 but I remember wishing that Red was a party member in the original version, but five would be a weird number of characters with a party size of four, and I wouldn't have wanted to drop any of the other party members from the rest of the story to make room. I'm glad the 3DS version added her, if nothing else.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Commander Keene posted:

Also, if you have a hacked 3DS you can patch the orchestrated soundtrack back in IIRC.

So... how does one hack their 3DS, and what benefits does it have? What are the risks? I have a spare (original) 3DS I don't use anymore ever since I transferred everything to my New 3DSXL.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Framboise posted:

So... how does one hack their 3DS, and what benefits does it have? What are the risks? I have a spare (original) 3DS I don't use anymore ever since I transferred everything to my New 3DSXL.

https://3ds.hacks.guide/

Little risk especially if you don't go online (and even then it's mostly just 'are you cheating in games'), many benefits, pretty easy these days.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
now's a good time to do it even if all you want to do is archive your e-shop purchases.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

If nothing else it's pretty nice to just dump your carts and run them off the SD.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Benefits: Save file backup (via Checkpoint), patching games (which I've never done personally but includes stuff like translations, undubs, and other improvement romhacks), cheats, emulation (New 3DS handles everything up to SNES/Genesis/Game Boy Color pretty well, and can natively play GBA and DS ROMs through the hardware BC), and future-proofing your device against Nintendo dropping the eShop.

Risks: Technically it's possible to brick your device but if you can read and follow directions step-by-step the guide linked above is basically foolproof and most bricks are recoverable; if you cheat at an online game you might get banned, but Nintendo has basically stopped caring about the 3DS and the last ban wave was in like 2017 IIRC.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Speaking of the eShop shutting down, is DQ7 or DQ8 the better 3DS DQ game? I'm debating picking one up, as if I don't already have enough stuff to get through on that console.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

DQ8 for sure

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
7 if you know what you want out of it (a game that’s like 80% vignettes) and 8 if you just want more conventional experience.

8 would normally win in a landslide even if I prefer 7, but that OST, goddamn that’s peak Old Dead Bastard phoning it in. Of course, if you can change it with home brew…

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Look, "objectively speaking" DQ8 is the better choice. It's beautiful, it's voice acted, it has a good cast and a good story. But I loving love Dragon Quest 7. The main story is a naked excuse for you to wander from town to town, each city being its own mini-drama Just 80+ of meeting weirdos and their weird problems. Maribel's a jerk and I love her. Also, I would die for Ruff.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

YggiDee posted:

Look, "objectively speaking" DQ8 is the better choice. It's beautiful, it's voice acted, it has a good cast and a good story. But I loving love Dragon Quest 7. The main story is a naked excuse for you to wander from town to town, each city being its own mini-drama Just 80+ of meeting weirdos and their weird problems. Maribel's a jerk and I love her. Also, I would die for Ruff.

Yeah Dragon Quest VII is by far the most Dragon Quest Dragon Quest game ever made. It's the series formula taken to its logical and ultimate conclusion.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Also job systems kick rear end.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Yeah it's definitely the most dragon quest game of them all, both in terms of literal quantity of game and just how it is. I love the vignettes and pretty much everything else about it.

8 was a departure from the old style - literally the first time you see your party in combat!!! And is also good, but I think 11 has refined and more fun versions of most of its mechanics so I would just play that again over 8 I think

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Also Ruff rides a wolf, and if you make him a luminary I believe both he and the wolf wear top hats.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Does 3 have a job system? Cause I don't want to mess around with any of that poo poo. When I play through an RPG I just want a linear story with set characters dependent on the plot of the story, like ffiv

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Does 3 have a job system? Cause I don't want to mess around with any of that poo poo. When I play through an RPG I just want a linear story with set characters dependent on the plot of the story, like ffiv

3 has what I'd call a prototypical job system. When you hit level 20 your non hero party members can change classes and you keep any spells you've learned and half your stats. The biggest use is that the Sage class can only be gotten this way.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

You want DQIV for that

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Yeah DQIII is very much not "set characters dependent on the plot of the story" despite not having a real job system. It's very much an RPG in the old school CRPG vibe. You literally go to a tavern and recruit your party members from there, having any combination of the Hero and 3 other characters who can be a variety of different classes.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

DQ3 is good. Doesn't have a job system, but you do get to class change, however it's only dependent on what classes you recruit for your party.

The Canonical party for DQ3 is the Hero and 3 goof-off's named Foxxy, Loxxy and Roxxy who then become sages when they class change. It's fun.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Add me into the "would probably objectively recommend 8, but 7 scratches a personal itch" group.

In Training posted:

Also job systems kick rear end.
:yeah:

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Dr Pepper posted:

Yeah DQIII is very much not "set characters dependent on the plot of the story" despite not having a real job system. It's very much an RPG in the old school CRPG vibe. You literally go to a tavern and recruit your party members from there, having any combination of the Hero and 3 other characters who can be a variety of different classes.

You technically don't even need to recruit anyone. It is feasible* to play the entire game DQ1-style with the hero solo.

* have fun grinding many, many levels to overcome the boss roadblocks. The streamer I was watching do this with the NES version gave up at Baramos AFAIK.

I'll 2nd the DQ4 rec. Although eventually you get ALL of the characters and you must choose which are in your party (4 max). Extra characters live in a wagon and you can't take the wagon everywhere, so they don't always get XP from battles. I guess it's kinda like FF4 GBA/PSP where you choose who you want towards the end of the game, but it happens way earlier in DQ4.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Ofecks posted:

You technically don't even need to recruit anyone. It is feasible* to play the entire game DQ1-style with the hero solo.

IIRC, Baramos regenerates so much HP per round in the NES version that to beat him solo you'd need to be able to cast Lightning for something like 8 or 9 rounds in a row and every time you take a round to heal (or do anything else really) you effectively lose several rounds of progress due to said regeneration. Maybe it's possible with some bug (and save state) abuse but other than that it's effectively impossible. I forget if the SNES or GBC versions had HP regen but if they don't then soloing one of those might be possible. It's no surprise the streamer you watched gave up at Baramos considering that the first time I heard of someone trying to solo DQ3 they also gave up at Baramos and that was after grinding an insane amount, like level 70 or something, and running out of MP in their attempts.

The game is made with the expectation of you using a 4 character party, aside from the solo dungeon for the yellow(?) orb.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

A hero, three guys/gals, and the one merchant for that subquest.

How much of the game was optional anyway? In the SNES version that Robber dude doesnt drop anything the first time, nor do you get anything for saving that sleeping town.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

You got an item shop in the sleeping town that sells a status-inflicting consumable (the spider web that casts slow, maybe?). Not that useful but yeah. I don't remember if you have to do that side-quest to access the elf village shop later.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

A hero, three guys/gals, and the one merchant for that subquest.

How much of the game was optional anyway? In the SNES version that Robber dude doesnt drop anything the first time, nor do you get anything for saving that sleeping town.

The tower and first Kandar fight was optional, as was the town you mentioned. Dharma and class changing is optional, as is the tower with the book of sasori class change item north of it.

I think the staff of change turn in might be optional but I imagine the ghost ship can't spawn until you trade the staff for the sailor's thigh bone or w/e it's called now and finding the ship without it would be awful. Getting the Final Key is optional if you're willing to grind to get the Open spell, which is level 35 or so, and depending on how much you've been leveling you could hit the "need that key" point by the early-mid 20s pretty easily.

Technically you don't need the thief key or magic key either if you're willing to grind for the Open spell, though grinding to 35 on the starting area is probably hundreds of hours of grinding and even grinding to 35 in the desert around Isis would likely take dozens of hours. I have no doubt there are some people who did this so they could sequence break stuff.

Ofecks posted:

You got an item shop in the sleeping town that sells a status-inflicting consumable (the spider web that casts slow, maybe?). Not that useful but yeah. I don't remember if you have to do that side-quest to access the elf village shop later.

You just need the staff of change and to turn into elves (maybe dwarves are ok too) to access the shop.

e: Grinding for the invisibility spell would let you skip whatever place you go to to buy the invisibility herbs too, I guess.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Mar 6, 2022

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

to me dq3 felt basically balanced around a well-made 3 character party (hero, soldier/fighter, sage) but they let you have 4 characters so you can get through the game with a suboptimal party composition. solo hero is probably not going to go too well, but a hero & sage duo seems reasonable if you want a challenging but not impossible run.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Jazerus posted:

to me dq3 felt basically balanced around a well-made 3 character party (hero, soldier/fighter, sage) but they let you have 4 characters so you can get through the game with a suboptimal party composition.

So the exact inverse of Etrian

SpiderLink
Oct 3, 2006
The point is to go and help them because you're a hero and also sweet experience.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I find that having two healers plus the hero in Dq3 really helps. I prefer soldiers to fighters for the gear options, but having a pilgrim/mage->sage works quite well.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Evil Fluffy posted:

I think the staff of change turn in might be optional but I imagine the ghost ship can't spawn until you trade the staff for the sailor's thigh bone or w/e it's called now and finding the ship without it would be awful.

The ghost ship doesn't spawn until you acquire the thigh bone. The very first time I played DQ3 I tested this because I wanted to keep the Staff of Change. The game came with a full strategy guide so I knew exactly where to look for the ship, but it wasn't there until I made the trade. Also, it always spawns in the exact same place - the not-Mediterranean Sea near Romaly. I don't know if it's possible for the ship to leave the area via the not-Strait of Gibraltar, but I'd say it's highly unlikely given the ship's random movements.

I guess the "best" DQ3 party would be Hero - Soldier - Pilgrim -> Sage - Goof-off -> Sage in the NES version. It's viable to replace the Soldier/warrior with Fighter/monk in the remakes since the latter is buffed significantly. The thief is also pretty good.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Thief has good access to multi-target melee attacks, but even in the remakes I prefer soldiers as they have access to useful gear while the fighter spends most of the game naked. I don't find the fighter's speed all that useful as it doesn't allow multiple actions as it might in another type of game.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Fighter main draws are cheap gear (cause they're naked) and their crit formula. Late game, cash isn't an issue but that's also when their crit rate takes off since it's level scaling.

I personally prefer punching stuff but either physical class is perfectly capable of beating things up.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

in NES DQ3 you still want your soldier to start out as a fighter. soldiers are slow, fighters are fast, so a fighter -> soldier that changes at the same time that your pilgrim and goof-off change to sage will give you a medium-speed character like the hero, and you are going to be grinding your dudes back up a bit anyway so you might as well just change everyone's class. the pre-class change half of the game is easy and this leverages the advantage of not having to buy equipment with limited cash while still having a good character, but you get to take advantage of the soldier's good equip profile for the harder half of the game.

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Mar 7, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.
Is that true in the NES version? Iirc stat growth (including speed) in all versions of dq3 is soft-capped if their current value is way beyond the expected normal level.