Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
They should just do a pro-shot of that Hunchback musical that was on in - Germany I think? - a while back. That poo poo is amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

HopperUK posted:

They should just do a pro-shot of that Hunchback musical that was on in - Germany I think? - a while back. That poo poo is amazing.

Oh, you mean HUNCH!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DyPn_3bNzg

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

deoju posted:

When I was in elementary school we learned the Disney song Zippity doo dah in music class. It's a cute feel good song. The teacher wanted to show us the movie it was from and said how difficult it was and that he'd been looking for years and finally found a copy.

It was Song of the South.

I wonder if Disney will secretly restore that one.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

Elissimpark posted:

The comic books, I understand, translate him from his native Finnish.

Kääk!

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Mister Kingdom posted:

I wonder if Disney will secretly restore that one.

I mean, nothing can stop Disney at this point.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

deoju posted:

When I was in elementary school we learned the Disney song Zippity doo dah in music class. It's a cute feel good song. The teacher wanted to show us the movie it was from and said how difficult it was and that he'd been looking for years and finally found a copy.

It was Song of the South.

It says something about how much things have changed that I remember watching Song of the South at my local library's children's Disney showings (so early to mid 90s). No commentary, no nothing, just "here's this week's Disney movie!" Upper to middle class White-majority area, of course.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

I mean, nothing can stop Disney at this point.
Only Disney can stop Disney.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Song of the South might have remained somewhat more palatable if Uncle Remus had been telling his own grandkids the Bre'er Rabbit stories he grew up with, instead of spinning a yarn to a couple white kids.

And Hattie McDaniel's performance is just hilarious, she was a real star.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Croccers posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-qLC_ptImo

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Croccers posted:

https://youtu.be/b4zMrVJjAQM

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Brawnfire posted:

Song of the South might have remained somewhat more palatable if Uncle Remus had been telling his own grandkids the Bre'er Rabbit stories he grew up with, instead of spinning a yarn to a couple white kids.

And Hattie McDaniel's performance is just hilarious, she was a real star.

It's one of those weird movies where you can tell it's created by a white person trying to be helpful, but all the messaging is off just enough that it feels super patronizing. The worst part of all this is the reputation of Song of the South is almost entirely self inflicted by Disney. No one would care about it if they did what Warner Brothers did with some of their cartoons and just added a disclaimer. But Disney tried to memory hole it and now it's "the racist Disney movie" and everyone's imagination runs wild. It's a boring movie that reinforces bad stereotypes, but it isn't Birth of a Nation. A massive self own by Disney.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Improbable Lobster posted:

Frollo played by hologram Tupac and voiced by Tony Jay clips

It's Disney, they would 100% deepfake Tony Jay. Probably not that well, but they can do it and they've already shown a willingness to do it.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

GrandpaPants posted:

It's Disney, they would 100% deepfake Tony Jay. Probably not that well, but they can do it and they've already shown a willingness to do it.

Considering they deepfaked Mark Hamil and they have his number I'm 100% positive they'll start using Deepfakes on dead actors with simulated voice boards.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

sweet geek swag posted:

It's one of those weird movies where you can tell it's created by a white person trying to be helpful, but all the messaging is off just enough that it feels super patronizing. The worst part of all this is the reputation of Song of the South is almost entirely self inflicted by Disney. No one would care about it if they did what Warner Brothers did with some of their cartoons and just added a disclaimer. But Disney tried to memory hole it and now it's "the racist Disney movie" and everyone's imagination runs wild. It's a boring movie that reinforces bad stereotypes, but it isn't Birth of a Nation. A massive self own by Disney.

song of the south has been released in non-american markets, its just the whole reconstruction era setting and 1940s depictions of smiling, happy black people working on a white owned plantation puts it just over the line of Too Problematic

honestly if it weren't for the lingering controversy (which has always followed the film), james baskett's oscar winning performance, and the fact that zip a dee doo dah is one of the earwormiest songs in the disney canon, the film would be forgotten for being boring. i had to look this up and the next film released by disney was something called 'so dear to my heart' which i've never heard of. disney's live action-ish films of that era are mostly forgettable

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

sweet geek swag posted:

there were protests at a theater not far from where I live when it was releases. its way closer to birth of a nation than tex avery.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Vitruvian Manic posted:

there were protests at a theater not far from where I live when it was releases. its way closer to birth of a nation than tex avery.

A lot of the dehumanizing caricatures in Looney Tunes are actually much closer to the horrific depictions of former slaves found Birth of a Nation than the patronizing yet sympathetic depictions found in Song of the South. This isn't a competition, though. We can agree that it's all bad and noneof these things should have been made. I was just pointing out that if they had just let it quietly disappear instead of trying to erase it from the American consciousness, no one would remember the movie.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
By contrast there's also the Tom Thumb movie that no one remembers that was a musical comedy starring the youngest guy from Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, which had a lot of really cool acrobatics on his part and some really memorable effects work like him dancing on a monstrously huge baby crib and walking along pencils, but also had some very bad caricatures in some of the toys, particuarly the chinese weeble (who kept doing Confucius say jokes and using ching-chong chinese instead of real chinese) and one golliwog doll who barely appeared but was just kind of... hanging out in the background being problematic.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

sweet geek swag posted:

From what I remember of it, it's not even as bad a lot of Shirley Temple movies, and they're still around.

Happy slaves, thankful to their masters, knowing their place and all that poo poo.

Only with cartoon characters during the musical interludes.

This is in no way apologism for either Shirley Temple movies or Song of the South.

sweet geek swag posted:

I was just pointing out that if they had just let it quietly disappear instead of trying to erase it from the American consciousness, no one would remember the movie.

Barbra Streisand effect from before she was even born.

EDIT: Uh, so turns out Streisand was born in 1942. That makes her 4 years old when Song of the South came out.

Megillah Gorilla has a new favorite as of 10:16 on Feb 21, 2022

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
What do they do with the LAWKS A MUSSY MASTAH THOMAS housekeeper in Tom And Jerry these days, did they re-dub her or is there a disclaimer?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I AM GRANDO posted:

They always need more ice-core drillers at most Antarctic research stations. McMurdo Station has a dedicated repairperson for their bowling alley as well, as it’s some kind of temperamental 50s technology that not many people know how to fix these days.

Is being replaced by an alien considered to be a hazard or a perk?

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

Megillah Gorilla posted:

EDIT: Uh, so turns out Streisand was born in 1942. That makes her 4 years old when Song of the South came out.

Coincidence? I think not!

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Jedit posted:

Is being replaced by an alien considered to be a hazard or a perk?

Depends on how much student loan debt you have.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Torquemada posted:

What do they do with the LAWKS A MUSSY MASTAH THOMAS housekeeper in Tom And Jerry these days, did they re-dub her or is there a disclaimer?

She was dubbed over a few years back.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I think they painted her white in the 80s or 90s, whenever Turner bought up all the old cartoons.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

I AM GRANDO posted:

I think they painted her white in the 80s or 90s, whenever Turner bought up all the old cartoons.
IIRC they painted her white and then separately redubbed her later so for a while she was white with the racist voice? Yeah okay here's Wikipedia:

quote:

In the 1960s, shorts featuring Mammy Two-Shoes were re-animated in part by Chuck Jones' team at MGM, alongside their work on the newer entries produced by Jones, in order to be shown on television. These versions of the shorts replace the African-American maid with a white woman, voiced by June Foray with an Irish accent.[68] These versions of the Tom and Jerry shorts were broadcast on television until the MGM catalog's acquisition by Turner in 1986. Turner redubbed Mammy Two-Shoes' voice in these shorts in the mid-1990s to make the character sound less stereotypical.
So they redubbed her twice, apparently.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The 80s and 90s were pretty wild for sometimes being almost not bigoted when pressed. Still a big old blind spot for racism against Asians though.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
I’ll have to assume that the UK kept showing the racist ones, because basically my only memory of Tom And Jerry is the ‘Mammy’ voice and the bit where he runs mouth-first into an ironing board.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah, we definitely had the original character, at least when episodes were on TV when I was a kid. I'd never seen the stereotype in anything else though, so it's possible it just wasn't connected to anything offenseive for most of the British audience. Especially if the alternative was an Irish stereotype, which a lot of people would have taken offence to.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Watched some King of the Hill recently and man, I feel like nobody ever bings up how wild it is that Kahn is voiced by a white guy doing an outrageous accent. I know KotH was never nearly the cultural phenomenon as The Simpsons but it's weird that that character was on a primetime network television program throughout the 2000s.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Henchman of Santa posted:

Watched some King of the Hill recently and man, I feel like nobody ever bings up how wild it is that Kahn is voiced by a white guy doing an outrageous accent. I know KotH was never nearly the cultural phenomenon as The Simpsons but it's weird that that character was on a primetime network television program throughout the 2000s.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Still a big old blind spot for racism against Asians though.

Carnotaurus
Feb 27, 2006

meat-eating bull

I'm curious about what they are going to do with Kahn for the reboot. I assume they aren't going to use a white guy to voice him again but are they going to keep the accent?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
There’s apparently a 15 year time skip so they could easily write him out if they want to.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Lol, changing the skin color instead of the dubbing. That's actually worse.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

There’s apparently a 15 year time skip so they could easily write him out if they want to.

I wager they'll split the difference: Hire an asian voice actor who can pull off the same goofy accent.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The 80s and 90s were pretty wild for sometimes being almost not bigoted when pressed. Still a big old blind spot for racism against Asians though.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Isn't that guy actually a white dude pretending to be Chinese?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I don't think South Park counts as having a "blind spot" about anything offensive

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Push El Burrito posted:

Isn't that guy actually a white dude pretending to be Chinese?

I don't think he's pretending.

I mean, yeah, he's a white dude, but he has multiple personalities, and the asian restaurant owner seems to be the dominant one.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

I remember playing The Stick of Truth and the whole scene with City Wok trying to ratfuck the new Mongolian restaurant was continuous :chloe:

Really, much of the game was :chloe: to the point that I could never finish it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Barbra Streisand effect from before she was even born.

You'll find that Barbra has been a major influencer since birth, thank you very much.

Not many people know it was her idea to include the tar baby sequence.