Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

The US has 3x as many Japanese students studying here as American students studying there, and it's not like the numbers are very high as it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Aren't the vast majority of foreign students in Japan from east and south-east Asia?

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Yes.

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I think we can all agree that the problem is not most foreign students; just the ones who continually tweet about how not being able to go on their year abroad is worse than the Holocaust.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

The best travel ban tweets are those that are in dismay about missing out on world-class education at a Japanese university.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

if they cant go to family mart to buy a prepackaged rice balls and strong zeroes how can they say theyve enjoyed their college years???

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
I think the biggest winners of the pandemic are Japan youtubers. I've seen like 3 youtubers get free nights in ridiculously nice hotels recently. Like hotels my tech salary couldn't afford without significant savings and one would be like a year's savings.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Even the annoying guy??

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

captkirk posted:

I think the biggest winners of the pandemic are Japan youtubers. I've seen like 3 youtubers get free nights in ridiculously nice hotels recently. Like hotels my tech salary couldn't afford without significant savings and one would be like a year's savings.

Not to pry into your compensation but what hotel costs a year's pay?

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Midjack posted:

Not to pry into your compensation but what hotel costs a year's pay?

I said a year's savings not a year's pay, but Chris Broad got comped a night in a $12k a night room. Technically a thing I could afford, but that's basically the cost of putting solar panels on my house last year.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

captkirk posted:

I said a year's savings not a year's pay, but Chris Broad got comped a night in a $12k a night room. Technically a thing I could afford, but that's basically the cost of putting solar panels on my house last year.

Ah okay, sorry for misunderstanding. That makes sense; the priciest hotel room I've personally seen the inside of (didn't stay) was $20k/night US and there are some that go up to $100k but I didn't think Japan had any properties that hit that level.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
That 12k room was fresh. That view was amazing. If I made like 100K a year I'd probably do it once.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCRlejdOadU

I mean, the room would be empty 90% of the time so it doesn't cost them anything to let a popular youtuber stay there a night. Just free advertising.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Rick posted:

That 12k room was fresh. That view was amazing. If I made like 100K a year I'd probably do it once.

Almost 10% of your yearly salary (before taxes etc) for a single night? Eh...

Absolutely dope room and view though

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

marumaru posted:

Almost 10% of your yearly salary (before taxes etc) for a single night? Eh...

Absolutely dope room and view though

Lol, eh yeah maybe if I made like, 200k.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Mister Chief posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCRlejdOadU

I mean, the room would be empty 90% of the time so it doesn't cost them anything to let a popular youtuber stay there a night. Just free advertising.

Let me tell you, 100 bowls of wanko soba is no joke. It's a lot of food.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
IDK I think it would have to be a pretty special occasion and probably with a group of people to merit that much money being dumped out in a night.

EDIT: Though at this rate, tourists being allowed back in in 2030 might be a pretty special occasion.

captkirk fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Feb 21, 2022

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Andaz is pretty nice, but this one is still on my list.
https://www.barhotel.com/
Also Fujiya at Ginzan Onsen.
https://selected-ryokan.com/ryokan/fujiya-inn_ginzan_yamagata_tohoku.html

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

Man, this place is booked the gently caress up.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Martytoof posted:

Even the annoying guy??

especially the annoying guy

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
I have a name, you know.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
Cursory Googling suggests that Japan's p cool with masking up during non-pandemic times on account of allergies and such. Is that the case now?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

always yeah

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
you'd figure hanami season would make for some weapons-grade sneezing, what with all the sakura trees in bloom

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Sakura trees pollinate by insects and animals, not wind.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

the trees that get you in Japan are loving cedars. burn them all to the ground, imho.

i really need to do some sort of allergy theapy so february and march don't suck rear end every year :smith:
e:
https://youtu.be/vY4PsmpxOj4

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
After WW2 their forests were devastated so they just planted a gently caress ton of cedars since they're good for construction. But a couple decades later foreign lumber import was more cost effective so they have a ton of those cedars still around and spreading massive amounts of pollen across Japan because no one is cutting them down anymore.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

olives black posted:

Cursory Googling suggests that Japan's p cool with masking up during non-pandemic times on account of allergies and such. Is that the case now?

Japan and other countries have been wearing masks at various times of the year (and for some people, all year round) for ages now. You don't need a reason to wear a mask if you want to. Nobody will bat an eye.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

I’ve read in most parts of Asia it started after SARS but for Japan it goes back to the post war boom to avoid air pollution.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

When I used to teach college classes girls would wear them if they didn't want to do makeup that day, or if they had bad acne or a particularly egregious pimple/blemish on their face, in addition to the usual allergy, cold and flu symptoms.

Guys would wear them for the same reasons :haw:

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i always liked mask wearing and back home i was one of the first people to wear one because i was already used to it and i suspected it would protect me. i still don't get why people in the west hate them so much

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Shibawanko posted:

i always liked mask wearing and back home i was one of the first people to wear one because i was already used to it and i suspected it would protect me. i still don't get why people in the west hate them so much

Because we were told to wear them, and doing as you’re told isn’t cool.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Presumably these are the same people who would've screamed when wearing a seatbelt became mandatory.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

The logic there is that seatbelts obviously protect you from flying out of your car when you crash it, but right wing freaks don’t believe in Lucretius or germ theory because they can’t physically see it and therefore they are impervious, ergo they cannot and will never contract and/or spread covid, therefore FACE DIAPERS

Much like covid denialism though, not wearing seatbelts is also a bit of a self correcting Darwinian problem.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Not quite, they usually manage to reproduce and give their kids bad opinions before they die.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
Masks are Cool and Good

marumaru
May 20, 2013

AHH F/UGH posted:

The logic there is that seatbelts obviously protect you from flying out of your car when you crash it, but right wing freaks don’t believe in Lucretius or germ theory because they can’t physically see it and therefore they are impervious, ergo they cannot and will never contract and/or spread covid, therefore FACE DIAPERS

Much like covid denialism though, not wearing seatbelts is also a bit of a self correcting Darwinian problem.

I'm guessing you've missed the resurgence in seatbelt denialism? Because boy did it come back with covid (though not nearly to the same extent as masks)

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Now you can buy a bottle opener that doubles as a seat belt alarm stopper:

https://www.amazon.com/Bottle-Opener-Tikit-Attachable-Keychain/dp/B07FNZR5XM/

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

WarpedNaba posted:

Presumably these are the same people who would've screamed when wearing a seatbelt became mandatory.

A lot of them did and a number of the baby boom generation still whine about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

My republican dad refused to wear a seatbelt his entire life because it was communism.