Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
loving poo poo, my idiot loving vassals are literally causing my army to die from actual attrition due to dogpiling wherever they go with all their stupid levies and bottoming out my supplies. How do you turn this poo poo off??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

The actual First Crusade was a long list of events that absolutely should not have worked out the way that they did. Would have liked to see more narrative or gameplay elements to reflect that

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Mukaikubo posted:

So are all you people saying "just get your powerful vassals to like you and you'll be fine, ez" playing a different game/patch than me?!

I just had a really fun game (united all the Iberian peninsula and conquered Aquitaine, pushing for the Avenge Tours decision and was 1 county shy) when my emperor died. Next guy up, decent, not great, no red flags in terms of bad traits or stats, but just okay. But ah, this time I'm READY! When the first faction springs up I spend literally a thousand gold giving gifts to everyone who was contributing more than 10% military strength to the "install some loving jackass cousin of mine who has never led so much as a county and who is an adulterous kinslaying drunkard" faction and got their opinions of me up to +100. Also slammed a feast immediately for that sweet sweet bonus.

Doesn't matter. None of them leave the faction in the 9 months it takes to fire an ultimatum. Not a single one. So of course when the rebellion happens it has waaaay more military strength than I do, and I promptly enter the "oh, you just lost a war and are now only a king instead of an emperor? Time to do another install claimant war!" loop when I get beaten and drop down a tier. Fast forward a year, I'm broke foolishly trying to pay off all my old vassals, another claimant faction rebellion I can't stop or fight, another guaranteed loss. Fast forward another year, you guessed it, another claimant war unavoidably lost, and now I'm a lovely county in Majorca with over a thousand gold in debt, no chance of paying anything off in the lifetime of me, my kid, or grandkids, and the game is effectively over as I watch helplessly as Emperor Brainless ruins everything.

I literally don't understand why people keep saying vassals with high opinion will leave factions if they like you, because I have *never* seen that happen. And they form factions immediately on death of the old guy, so I have no time to try to frantically bribe them before the death star factions form. What are you all doing that I'm not!?

There's obviously something wrong with factions, just as you have discovered. They did not behave like this in earlier versions. Specifically your vassals love creating and joining factions and they also take their sweet time leaving factions once they hit 100 relationship. There were a bunch of faction related changes in the patch notes and seeing how this is possibly one of the buggiest expansions ever released by paradox I assume they will fix it, sometime. For now you can make your own religion and allow polygamy, then spam out kids constantly so you have lots of unmarried women to use as alliance makers when your current emperor dies. The factions trigger so fast that actions like making them your friend or blackmailing them is too slow, you have like 8-9 months from succession until they trigger.
For fighting civil wars ignore the AI armies if you can, they will just run around forever. Siege down the enemies holdings instead, the capital of the leader of the faction first. It's really frustrating and it's not just you, ignore the people who say it is easy, they don't know what they are talking about.

wukkar
Nov 27, 2009

Tatsuta Age posted:

yes:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/ck-iii-missing-council-marshal-events-more.1510618/#post-28075618

somebody even wrote a fix on the forums you can apply yourself by editing a text file but for some reason it takes paradox weeks to roll that out
Man that's a big bug. Someone in that thread made the fix into a mod, and now I get knights improved immediately after enabling it.
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2755526496

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

TaurusTorus posted:

How are you supposed to fight crusades? I have enough troops, its just supply runs out and then I'm wiped out. I guess a broader way of putting this is what do I do about supplies? Splitting an empires army into 9 provinces gets annoying.

Like if you're trying to actually win the crusade for God and Glory, that's basically totally out of your control given the amount of people involved. A better question would be "How do I perform well in this crusade so the pope loves me and gives me a fat slice of everything, win or lose?"

Then the answer is usually to show up early, so early that you set sail long in advance that you landed the day war is declared, and be the first guy sieging. Allies and enemies trickle in, but since you where there first you are considered the guy leading the merged stacks and will get credited with everything. If your own supplies run low, it's not a biggie if you're tiny just keep hanging around as the allied stacks will pushed the merged average back into good standing. Accept super-heavy personal troop casualties, but make sure your player character bails before getting wiped. From there, the derpy AI may or may not take Jerusalem but once it's all over the pope will love what you did and you'll be the biggest war contributor with a mountain of gold to compensate you for your lost dudes.

I've personally done this at least twice so it seems semi-reliable?

--------

My own question: I'm doing an Ironman run and am almost ready to Elevate the Isle of Mann, but I gave it to a vassal and can't retract while (not-maxed-authority-) tribal. Can I just release him as independent and reconquer or is there some sort of force Truce? If so, better ideas? My guy's getting old and won't live long enough to push tribal auth to max.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

That's a good point on sending your guys before, I hadn't thought of that.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Serephina posted:

My own question: I'm doing an Ironman run and am almost ready to Elevate the Isle of Mann, but I gave it to a vassal and can't retract while (not-maxed-authority-) tribal. Can I just release him as independent and reconquer or is there some sort of force Truce? If so, better ideas? My guy's getting old and won't live long enough to push tribal auth to max.

Tribal Authority only needs to be high to Revoke. And as a Norse you can break the cooldown on authority increases.

Grant Independence does have a truce.

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Some things can't be unseen
My game just threw me for a loop, but not a totally unpleasant one.

I started by making the Duchess of Minsk and marrying the unmarried, heirless Duke of Greater Poland, so that my heir would also get his duchy. I spend my reign getting the Kingdom of White Rus' and then decide to sit pretty, since I've done plenty of blobbing in the past and would now like to just see how the game goes when I'm not constantly expanding, plus I don't want to lose a run to faction shenanigans. First ruler lives to her late 70s, outliving her first kid, and when she finally passes I do indeed inherit the Duchy of Greater Poland (about a month after they lost a province in a war, but oh well).

Somehow, my new ruler converted to Judaism, which makes no sense to me, because both I and the Duke of Greater Poland were Slovanskian, and naturally my vassals weren't too pleased about that. However, this did allow me to get an alliance with Khazaria, so my vassals being displeased carried a lot less weight when I can summon huge armies for this era from just over the border. Plus, if my current ruler holds on long enough, I should be able to feudalize without having to reform my religion or convert, and I had my guardians convert my kids back to Slovanskian so they aren't perpetually facing uprisings. And I got a unit of Horse Archer MaAs, so now I need to figure out how to make them into killing machines, or whether I should even keep them around instead of going all-in on Druzhina. The only downside is that no one will voluntarily be vassalized by me since I'm of a different faith, but hey, can't have it all.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

There are exactly zero buildings that buff Horse Archers as of this patch. They're very very very good if you'll be fighting in Steppe/Drylands/Plains, and in the early game there is nothing better, but as time goes by there are better alternatives.

Keeping one stack of HA around purely for their pursuit value is not a bad option at all though.

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014

Midnight Voyager posted:

I'm beginning to wonder if every single spouse I ever have will be allergic to cats...

i gave away my cat because my husband was allergic then like a week later he cheated on me so i killed him

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

In the latest edition of Intrigue Is Bad Actually, it turns out my son was banging my sister, and also my daughter with 100 opinion of me was attempting - extremely badly - to murder me, god only knows why.

What's worse, these things barely even matter. You'd think for such actions there'd be serious outrage, but nobody even cares.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Feb 21, 2022

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

PittTheElder posted:

In the latest edition of Intrigue Is Bad Actually, it turns out my son was banging my sister, and also my daughter with 100 opinion of me was attempting - extremely badly - to murder me, god only knows why.

What's worse, these things barely even matter. You'd think for such actions there'd be serious outrage, but nobody even cares.

Even though they nerfed the seduction madness late-game is still a mayhem with every single character having "Love Pox". It's stupid.

Mashed Potato
Aug 29, 2008
If I start as a feudal count under a liege who holds a clan duchy title, is there a way I can get that title but have it be a feudal version?

Can I declare independence, then form a new (feudal) duchy title if I hold enough de jure counties?

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

TjyvTompa posted:

Even though they nerfed the seduction madness late-game is still a mayhem with every single character having "Love Pox". It's stupid.

In a similar vein, I'd wish the game wouldn't be inhabited by so many people wearing the same iron mask. Makes it a bit hard keeping track of everyone.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Adamites are popping up in my realm and I have naked people going around. Luckily I have 41 learning so I can convince them to put some clothes on for the love of God, literally

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

PittTheElder posted:

I recently had my sister, who was my spymaster at the time, get caught having sex with her grandson. She must suck at her job if everyone found that out. It had some consequences as she got excommunicated. When her husband died, I couldn’t find anyone worth a drat to marry her to.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

I started playing as the East Francia Karling guy. The first time I opened my court, the event where a fake foreign princess wants to marry your heir occured. She was pretty with good stats so of course I let her.
Later when I got to play that heir (the Stammerer), he had divorced her but still kept her around as his lover (not sure what lead to that development) and continued having like 6 more unacknowledged children with her.

Anyway after the Stammerer died his son by that princess had the bright idea to marry his own heir to his bastard aunt, so now all their children are inbred. Since my character doesn't know about the bastards, there's nothing I can do about it, but fortunately for me it just means weaker vassals.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Bird in a Blender posted:

I recently had my sister, who was my spymaster at the time, get caught having sex with her grandson. She must suck at her job if everyone found that out. It had some consequences as she got excommunicated. When her husband died, I couldn’t find anyone worth a drat to marry her to.

That's when you just find the guy with the highest prowess/martial stat, so you at least get another knight out of it.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
So uh, was someone saying that Learn Language was broken currently? Since right now my language tutor isn't giving me any sort of bonus, and every failed attempt is 125 stress which quite frankly seems like a lot.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Having six heart attacks because conjugating verbs is hard

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

Serephina posted:

So uh, was someone saying that Learn Language was broken currently? Since right now my language tutor isn't giving me any sort of bonus, and every failed attempt is 125 stress which quite frankly seems like a lot.

Court tutors give scheme power, which increases the speed of the learn language. If you hover over the squares in the scheme interface you can see the bonus.

Small tip— targeting a stubborn/ambitious person increases your success chance! It’s small but it helps

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Serephina posted:

If you're chaste its like -20, and a few other odd stats make it stressful and difficult. I get that being outgoing is great for picking up a language but I think they copied pasted it from seduction scheme or something. Because everything in CK3 is nefarious puppetmaster stuff, even your Spanish homework assignment.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Oh I forgot to mention that I can't seem to make the "have child learn a language" interaction to work properly at all. It brings up the two-person matchmaking like you get with marriages and guardians, but the popup doesn't seem to want to let me pick my child on either side at all.

If having a 45% (with a +10% here and there) chance every few years to learn a language is intended behavior, then... I dunno, goddamn that seems harsh.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

The child learn language interaction works well for me, I have them learn all my vassals languages so they don't hate them later, seems to work!

Also much like real life the learn language success chance is higher for a child.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

TaurusTorus posted:

Historically (and contemporaneously) accurate.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

TjyvTompa posted:

This is why I stick to monogamous with adultery as criminal and banish everyone who does it. The real endgame is trying to keep your entire court from being riddled with syphilis.

TaurusTorus posted:

Too realistic.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I’ve done three straight games as Haesteinn and every time the king of France successfully murders me within 10 years and all my event troops go away lol. I was about two weeks shy of forming Sicily this last time.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Is there a way to swap duchies with a vassal? I have 5 total in my kingdom, and I'm holding 2. I'd like to swap one with a duke, but I can't figure out how to do that without granting one and then revoking the other, and I'm worried the revoke part is going to set off a bunch of tyranny triggers.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Nope, you have to revoke and grant. Which means all vassals getting mad at you, not only the affected one

Unless you make yourself a claim on the title you want to revoke using your court chaplain, than only the vassal will be pissed (but that will be compensated by he loving you for the title granted)

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Elias_Maluco posted:

Nope, you have to revoke and grant. Which means all vassals getting mad at you, not only the affected one

Unless you make yourself a claim on the title you want to revoke using your court chaplain, than only the vassal will be pissed (but that will be compensated by he loving you for the title granted)

Thanks, that's what I figured. I could probably make a claim since I hold a few counties inside the duchy I want, I'll have to try that out. I'd rather not set off a tyranny war, but I could probably manage it if I do.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

What often works is fabricating a claim on a county where you know they'd refuse the revoke, and after beating them down you can seize the whole duchy, without incurring tyranny.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

There seems to be a bug sometimes when holding court where names disappear or results get cut off and don't display. Does anyone know what this 25% chance of is?

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

MikeC posted:

There seems to be a bug sometimes when holding court where names disappear or results get cut off and don't display. Does anyone know what this 25% chance of is?

quote:

random = {
chance = 25
physician_lifestyle_rank_up_effect = yes
}

looks like it can level up your physician

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

I noticed that and turned on debug mode and there are a lot of issues with missing text and translations in certain events.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Im actually finding this game more fun than Stellaris to just mess around in with the most recent update. Randomize Faiths and Unrestricted Diplomatic Range combine for some pretty funny looking maps, even if it makes the game somewhat easier.

Are there any decent Workshop mods aimed at just messing around with the world?

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Tamba posted:

looks like it can level up your physician

Awesome thanks.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I’ve done three straight games as Haesteinn and every time the king of France successfully murders me within 10 years and all my event troops go away lol. I was about two weeks shy of forming Sicily this last time.

I was sailing around Arabia and that fucker Charles the Bald sniped me from across the map.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
Just pulled off the Elevate Isle of Man decision with Haesteinn. I was afraid he would die or king charles would finally murder him, but nope. He lived to 104, was gout ridden for 40 years, had a leg removed in his 80s (which didnt help with the gout), and was disfigured from small pox. Once i knew he had one year left, i sent him to the brothel for stress relief and rakish. He was often injured in battles, but shrugged that off. Now i continue my conquest of all the islands.

This was my 3rd restart. Previous attempts were thwarted by a very early assassination (pushed off a boat), and a severe groin injury in battle that left him as a eunuch and only the one child he starts with.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

drat, back to crashing on startup every time again. I deleted everything and did a clean reinstall, checked firewall access, and put all the settings on low, and now I can get to the main screen, but it immediately crashes as soon as I try to load or start a new game. So I guess my mission to form the North Sea Empire will have to wait.

The gameplay bugs don’t tend to bother me that much, but all the instability and performance issues suck. New DLCs for CK2 were always full of bugs but I remember it being pretty stable overall, even on the lovely old laptop I had then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Furnaceface posted:

Im actually finding this game more fun than Stellaris to just mess around in with the most recent update.

CK3 isn’t really about winning it is about all the dumb poo poo that happens on the way. Stellaris has a pretty narrow way to define victory aka don’t get murdered by that devouring swarm that spawns next to you every drat game.