Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

withak posted:

Countdown until the dealer sticker starts to include a bigger number in the small print for the ad-free version.

never. there will not be an ad-free version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thegreatcodfish
Aug 2, 2004

Aghama posted:

Sounds like BS, how would Ford be making money on this? It would be simpler for them to just...sell add space on their dashboards.

Watch this ad to activate heated/cooled seats for 30 minutes, or upgrade for 24.99/mo for unlimited use.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

BiggerBoat posted:

https://hitechglitz.com/ford-patents-an-auto-sensor-to-scan-roadside-billboards-and-send-ads-straight-to-dashboards/

Ford patents an auto sensor to scan roadside billboards and send ads straight to dashboards

The patent is likely to raise the eyebrows of road safety experts as 3,142 people were killed in distracted driving in the United States in 2019, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).

Not sure about the source though but seems like a matter of time before this is standard

See now this is why I’m glad that the 3g service in my car got shut off and there’s no upgrade available.

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

thegreatcodfish posted:

Watch this ad to activate heated/cooled seats for 30 minutes, or upgrade for 24.99/mo for unlimited use.

Autopilot has detected a Wendy's add. Rerouting to the closest Wendy's.

To disable ad enabled rerouting, please pay $50/mo.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
Looks like Meta has pushed Nick Clegg forward to handle "Global Affairs". You won't have Zuck to kick around anymore!

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Shrecknet posted:

never. there will not be an ad-free version.

Ad-free version will only stop the unskippable ads at startup and shutdown. Interstitials will still play when you drive past a relevant billboard.

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

Aghama posted:

Sounds like BS, how would Ford be making money on this? It would be simpler for them to just...sell add space on their dashboards.

By selling premium adspace to company’s. Free ads might just be “eat at dicks, 5mi” while premiums could have a video, interactive content, etc

I assume something similar happens in Waze where anything can get added but certain places have their own icons like Dunkin, Mobil, etc

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

withak posted:

Countdown until the dealer sticker starts to include a bigger number in the small print for the ad-free version.

Surely this will be a monthly subscription.

Then you still get ad pop-ups but they're just Ford's own.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Ford: "Pay us and we'll pop up the ad inside the car too"

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Nenonen posted:

you still get ad pop-ups but they're just Ford's own.

Constant upselling to activate features already built into your vehicle, and telling you to trade in on this year's model!!! That you already bought.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
The ads will mostly be for places you just came from.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

withak posted:

The ads will mostly be for places you just came from.

Please come back to Cleveland!

Please!

Pleeeease!

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Fart.Bleed.Repeat. posted:

By selling premium adspace to company’s. Free ads might just be “eat at dicks, 5mi” while premiums could have a video, interactive content, etc

I assume something similar happens in Waze where anything can get added but certain places have their own icons like Dunkin, Mobil, etc

don't have a problem with that, I love dick's

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Fart.Bleed.Repeat. posted:

I'm not sure if Waze does it as well because I haven't used it in a while, but Google Maps will use certain restaurants and poo poo as navigational aids, which I assume someone is paying for. (One route I take three or four times a year always tells me to take a right after the Subway™.)

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/ajlatrace/status/1495124630868213764?s=20&t=FkLv2V5NqU2HtvlL0WiaEQ

Has an optical blind zone in front of the truck for like 30 feet.

0konner
Nov 17, 2016

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
AJ latrace just proving the truck’s point it’s for people who do PUA lean analysis

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Modern cars are literally child mulchers, shame that nobody with any power over automobile standards gives a poo poo lol. I guess just keep slapping sensors on this trash that moron drivers will just continue to ignore because homicide is legal if it's done with a vehicle

EVs are the next generation of this btw, twice as heavy and pitched on how fast they accelerate and their pedestrian pulping """AI""", EVs are going to create more child corpses than even internal combustion will

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Epic High Five posted:

EVs are the next generation of this btw, twice as heavy and pitched on how fast they accelerate and their pedestrian pulping """AI""", EVs are going to create more child corpses than even internal combustion will

This feels like weird “think of the children” propaganda an oil company would put out.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

This feels like weird “think of the children” propaganda an oil company would put out.

Possibly but I doubt it considering how the entire ICE industry is also all about 9 foot tall trucks and SUVs with hoods that obstruct 20 feet of visibility. Neither industry is setting out to turn children into a red mist, they just tolerate it because American car culture itself tolerates it to whatever degree it presents itself because we as a society do not actually value the preservation of human life

Epic High Five fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Feb 21, 2022

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
The anti-electric car nonsense is just bullshit. EVs are only moderately heavier than their fossil fuel equivalents, by maybe 250-750lbs, and that amount is dwarfed by the 1,500-2,000 lbs difference between a car and a truck. Certainly it would be good to implement vehicle weight taxation to encourage lighter designs, but the idea that "super heavy EVs are going to kill more people than ICEs" is a classic Republican talking point.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I don't think EVs are especially likely to kill people compared to traditional cars, I think they're both extremely likely to do so for broadly similar reasons. It's not like the fundamental issues are made less omnipresent if something is made almost completely silent and "only" 500kg heavier while maintaining a 30 foot blind spot in front of the hood and adding an incredible ability to accelerate as we've seen from this industry that simply does not build sedans in anything but joke numbers anymore.

Pedestrian and cyclist deaths have been on the rise in a big way since 2019 right alongside the massive increase in size and weight of autos, and this will continue because vehicular homicide is completely normalized both legally and socially in this country

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Ya, I use my father in law's 3/4th ton to tow our camper. Visibility is pretty bad. I imagine this full ton truck is even worse.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Epic High Five posted:

Pedestrian and cyclist deaths have been on the rise in a big way since 2019 right alongside the massive increase in size and weight of autos, and this will continue because vehicular homicide is completely normalized both legally and socially in this country

The massive increase in car weight since 2019? What are you talking about?

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Epic High Five posted:

Seat belt use went down and drunk driving went up starting in 2019, and from what I recall reading, the disparity for how accidents impact minorities and low-income areas in the US widened. So it's not all people driving hot new electric cars.

I don't think other countries are seeing the same traffic fatality increases, either.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
One of the biggest issues with new trucks isn't their weight so much as their raised hoods and fenders, which have been styled to be taller and more aggressive-looking due to a lack of safety regulation. Visibility isn't really the issue either (drivers are already untrained and unaware) but rather that such styles drag victims under the vehicle rather than bouncing them up and over.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Feb 21, 2022

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Yeah the "rising since 2019" is potentially all pandemic related, but which specific aspect of the pandemic and our related responses to it are unclear.

Fewer cars on the road so the bad drivers are now able to drive at 120 mph rather than simply 90 mph?

People generally mad because pandemic, because pandemic restrictions, because something something TRUMP BRANDON GOTTA GO FAST TRUCK NUTS?

Some people decided they are going to commit suicide via driving? "If God wants me alive they'll get me home while I'm drunk and/or high and driving at 60 in this residential area otherwise nothing matters lmao"

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Trucks are so loving stupid nowadays. I never had high opinions on trucks as a useful vehicle to begin with except in edge cases but hell they're so ugly now.

Gotta go back ot the 80s to find a decent looking model. Gimme a diesel Datsun, Mazda or Toyota from the 80s over any of these abortions.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

His Divine Shadow posted:

Trucks are so loving stupid nowadays. I never had high opinions on trucks as a useful vehicle to begin with except in edge cases but hell they're so ugly now.

Gotta go back ot the 80s to find a decent looking model. Gimme a diesel Datsun, Mazda or Toyota from the 80s over any of these abortions.

i work in conditions that require pickups, and they're super useful working vehicles, but the trend towards taller and heavier tends to actively make them worse at their job. i don't really give a poo poo about my vehicle aesthetics, but what's the loving point if you can't easily reach into the bed and haul poo poo out?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
This video was in the comments - you can hide an entire car in front of those stupid pickups already.

https://twitter.com/bontrager_keith/status/1495443890253357059

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

i work in conditions that require pickups, and they're super useful working vehicles, but the trend towards taller and heavier tends to actively make them worse at their job. i don't really give a poo poo about my vehicle aesthetics, but what's the loving point if you can't easily reach into the bed and haul poo poo out?

I find a van is the superior vehicle in most cases, or a trailer.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

I find a van is the superior vehicle in most cases, or a trailer.

­­¿Por que no los todos?

I present you the long van, or vaan.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I never could tell when to use vain or vaan.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

How about wain?

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

Megillah Gorilla posted:

This video was in the comments - you can hide an entire car in front of those stupid pickups already.

Yeah this needs to be ended because needed to use a drat camera to not slam into another car is goddamn insane. There's absolutely no reason for that, and it's not like the engine is bigger to make any sense.

Ran Mad Dog
Aug 15, 2006
Algeapea and noodles - I will take your udon!
Seriously, can we go back to 4-5+ dollar a gallon of gas so Americans will stop buying these stupid loving monster trucks please?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Yeah me and the spouse were driving this weekend and we both commented on how huge trucks are and bemoaning the loss of small trucks like our Isuzu, which was about the size of a medium sedan.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Imagine one of these loving things in a traffic jam

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

karthun posted:

Ya, I use my father in law's 3/4th ton to tow our camper. Visibility is pretty bad. I imagine this full ton truck is even worse.

The Yukon is an SUV based on the 1/2 ton chassis. Even the light-duty trucks are that huge now.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread
Yeah trucks are so stupid these days a big selling point is what kind of integrated ladder or fold out step system the tailgate has.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Woolie Wool posted:

The Yukon is an SUV based on the 1/2 ton chassis. Even the light-duty trucks are that huge now.

That's not a Yukon. It's a sierra 3500