Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today
Thank you, everyone. I'll try to incorporate these suggestions. I should have mentioned, originally, that I tried adding some Vallejo airbrush thinner in non-scientific amounts. But, I'll go through these ideas and hopefully find something that works out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

TheBigAristotle posted:

I've been fine with a few drops per fill of stynylrez, it's designed to go right through a 105 with nothing else at all.

1:1 with flow improver seems wild, but hey, if it works, it works.

I'm probably over estimating but sometimes, especially when it's cold, it feels like that's what I need to push that poo poo through

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

berzerkmonkey posted:

I think the problem with stynylrez is that it can be inconsistent. I'm wondering if different batches have different viscosities or if a bottle that's been sitting around for say a year might start to lose some liquid, becoming thicker and harder to spray.

I mean mine seems okay? But the other night I just could not get it to go through an airbrush at all. Again though, I had zero problem with Vallejo.

Yep, Badger had switched suppliers for one ingredient used in Stynylrez, and the quality went to poo poo for a year or two during Covid. Increased clogging, and a very pebbly texture when applied. They've switched back to the original supplier of the ingredient, and people are reporting fresh batches of Stynylrez are back to their former greatness.

This also affected some batches of Ammo One-Shot Primer, which is just rebranded Stynylrez.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

This also affected some batches of Ammo One-Shot Primer, which is just rebranded Stynylrez.

:stare: My world is crumbling!

That's pretty interesting.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

What's the negative of using a bigger needle? Same as bigger brush?

I wouldn't say there's a negative, it just allows more paint through the nozzle. If you're not careful you can really eat through a cup of paint though.

Eej posted:

If you do like 1:1 or 1:2 flow improver with stylnrez primer you should be good to go in a Badger 105.

Source: This is what I literally do.

That's... A LOT of flow improver. If I need it I usually use a drop or two, but mostly I find a bigger needle and higher psi really do the bulk lifting.
Each compressor and airbrush is different though so there's a lot to account for with personal use. Hell, my compressor can't do lsuper low psi stuff :(

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Just remembered I swapped the needle on my 105 to a 0.3 so maybe that's why I've always had trouble pushing primer out, I'll swap it back and it'll probably just fire that poo poo out super clean without any flow improver.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
I mean, when I'm working with a super tiny nozzle, I tend to have more medium/thinner/flow aid/whatever in the cup than paint. 1:2 doesn't sound totally crazy to try and push primer through that small an aperture. Trying to prime like that sounds like a supreme pain, though.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Can I just use rinse-aid as flow improver in my airbrush?

Normally I'd just try it but I'm not home right now.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

doesn’t rinse-aid usually have a dye or something in it? maybe it varies from brand to brand

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

The brand I buy is blue, but if I'm spraying black or dark grey primer I don't think it'll matter.

I checked the MSDS for Jet Dry and it doesn't look like something I want to inhale though.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Yeast posted:

:stare: My world is crumbling!

That's pretty interesting.

The weird thing is I have a bottle of grey primer in both Stynylrez and One Shot, and the Stynylrez dries dead flat while the One Shot primer has almost a satiny sheen to it. They both still work, but I was definitely surprised to find out that the Ammo primer is rebranded Stynylrez due to the difference in finishes.

One airbrush primer I'll definitely warn people away from is the grey primer by Army Painter for their Air line of paints. I bought the starter set of Air paints and that primer came with it, and good lord that stuff is trash. I can take some Stynylrez, thin it 1:1 with airbrush thinner, and merrily spray away with my cordless airbrush compressor. Do the same with the Army Painter stuff and it's still too thick, spitting and sputtering all over the place. Thin it down 2:1 and it's way too thin, all watery and beading up. I might keep it around if I have need for a brush-on primer, but unless I just got a really bad bottle, I'd definitely say to avoid trying to airbrush it.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

Crosspost:
I'd like some opinions on which heads to choose for 6x Iron Warriors. I'm talking about just the sculpts btw.

5x are havocs, 1x is just a marine in phobos armor pointing out in the distance with one arm while his other arm has the little screen built into the forearm.

I've got a few preferences, but nothing set in stone. I guess it would help to see the models they're going on:

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

IMHO

1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 11

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Wasn’t super happy with this Leman Russ, lots of the model had those stress marks on it, and also lots of gaps.

I also lost the arm for my tank commander when trying to glue it on, it fell through the tank, then while trying to shake it out… I succeeded…in losing it.

I was thinking I could try and find an arm among my extras that might work or just have him not have an arm at all. I mean it’s not like the Imperium would actually care about sending in somebody missing a hand. That said I’m not quite sure how to show it that indicates a wound vs me forgetting to glue a piece.

Dr Intergalactic
Apr 21, 2010

CRASH!
:sharpton:
AGAIN!

Marshal Prolapse posted:

I also lost the arm for my tank commander when trying to glue it on, it fell through the tank, then while trying to shake it out… I succeeded…in losing it.

It only takes one arm to salute, soldier!

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Just use a spare Chainsword arm from the Infantry box. You definitely got more of those than you needed. I know I've done something similar with one of my tanks at least.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Wasn’t super happy with this Leman Russ, lots of the model had those stress marks on it, and also lots of gaps.

I was thinking I could try and find an arm among my extras that might work or just have him not have an arm at all. I mean it’s not like the Imperium would actually care about sending in somebody missing a hand. That said I’m not quite sure how to show it that indicates a wound vs me forgetting to glue a piece.

Get a blob of green stuff (since you already got a bunch sitting around) and make a lump out of it. Then take a carving tool of some sort and draw in lines to indicate it's a bandaged up stump.

If you really wanna stretch those creative muscles you can find any old arm, chop it off at a random spot, take your green stuff and then sculpt out a limp shirt sleeve and then fold it up and glue it to the arm so it looks like a pinned up sleeve.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Cut a spare arm maybe above the elbow and use green stuff to create a folded sleeve to his uniform at the stump.

Edit: Beatin!

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

The Demilich posted:

Crosspost:
I'd like some opinions on which heads to choose for 6x Iron Warriors. I'm talking about just the sculpts btw.

5x are havocs, 1x is just a marine in phobos armor pointing out in the distance with one arm while his other arm has the little screen built into the forearm.

I've got a few preferences, but nothing set in stone. I guess it would help to see the models they're going on:

I would only do helmeted heads, personally.

Also I love your basing.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Sculpt a tentacle on the body. Ta-da, CHAOS.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Some stuff I painted a few weeks back, but y'know, waiting for a dry day to varnish, then waiting for a day when you can actually be bothered to take photos, it all takes time.

A Basse Crew for Malifaux.

Cornelius Basse, the crew leader. Considered trying to do some OSL from his cigar but thought it would look weird (and also be really hard to do with his hat being in the way);

His daughter, Bernadette. Shes the one who I'm least happy with my efforts turned out, but the paint job looks better in person than in the picture.

Jonathan Reichart, the crews obligatory Large Lad;

3 frontiersmen;

And 2 guild Austringers which were part of a big ebay lot like 2 years ago and have been sitting since then til I picked up the Basse crew box recently. Theres some construction issues from their previous owner and the bird I've painted as a bald eagle is frankly the least secure figure I've ever painted; It broke 3 times while being painted and then again while being varnished, so it now has a very chunky ankle to try and reinforce it. I do really love the aesthetic of malifaux, but sometimes the construction is not ideal...

Crew photo!

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

moths posted:

I checked the MSDS for Jet Dry and it doesn't look like something I want to inhale though.

You don't want to inhale anything that comes out of an airbrush, get a 3M half-face respirator. I'm using a 6100 mask with 6006 filters (organic vapors). Do not get these from Amazon, there are counterfeiters in their supply chain. Also get protective goggles, when the nasty stuff is coming out you don't even want it in your eyes.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Also an airbrush range too

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

There is actually edible airbrush paint that is amazing for doing cake decorating, so you can eat that. That being said, I might have a seperate airbrush just for that.

Edit:Although you still wouldn't want to inhale it. On the other hand some of them are made using vodka as a base, so who knows!?

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

I've always used p100's (specifically 3m 2097)for airbrushing on a 3m 6500 with no complaints.

Really hope I'm not secretly poisoning myself lol

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

The Demilich posted:

I've always used p100's (specifically 3m 2097)for airbrushing on a 3m 6500 with no complaints.

Really hope I'm not secretly poisoning myself lol

P100 blocks 99.9% of particles .3 microns or larger. Paint sprayed from an airbrush is particulate matter, so you are doing exactly what you need to do. If you are using something with lots of toxic solvents / thinners, you'll want to look into organic vapor masks, but if you are spraying acrylic paint, a P100 filter is just fine.

This is a company that sells safety gear, so consider the source, but it explains the difference between filters and what they are used for: https://www.majorsafety.com/blogs/news/respirator-filters-and-cartridges-explained There's a link to the OSHA guide in there as well if you want lots and lots of detail.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I've been making some cardboard terrain, does anyone know how to toughen it up after painting it?
Is there a spray I can get or shouild I just sit down with a brush and pva it all a bunch of times?

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

I'm late to the discussion, but re:priming with an airbrush:

Get a cheap single action external mix airbrush for laying down primer. It'll have a similar spray pattern to a rattlecan, and won't clog on white primer like a fine internal mix airbrush would. Harbor Freight in the US sells a quick change external mix airbrush kit that comes with 5 or 6 empty bottles, the brush and a hose with adapter for like $12, and I highly recommend it.

Note, it is not for any kind of fine detail work, just laying down your base layer of primer. Do your zenithial highlight shenanigans with your good airbrush afterward :v:

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hey guys I just wanted to say thank you so much for all the help you’ve been giving me. I just finished priming the last part of the Start Collecting Astra Militarium set. I just have to paint it now. Honestly, I’m still kind of amazed I’ve gotten this far and I’m also happy the Leman Russ came with the set as it made the mistakes a little easier to take. I couldn’t attach the tanks light because of where I placed the hand originally and also those things that go around the tanks hatch I tried cutting them out and I think two of them got cut in half because they were just very very thin plastic.

That said now it’s time to finish my 3 other guard units (one is a Krieg), my two manticores, and Valkyrie. The cool thing is while not balanced in the least probably, I should usually have enough points or power level to play without needing anything else.

That said as a result of switching to new phones I sold off my old phone and my wife’s (as we often do) and have around $368 extra to spend to fIll it out some more…or be a total goon and just get the Shieldbreaker interdiction set since I can get it 20% off the sticker price from my LGS.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Communist Thoughts posted:

I've been making some cardboard terrain, does anyone know how to toughen it up after painting it?
Is there a spray I can get or shouild I just sit down with a brush and pva it all a bunch of times?

Wattered down modge podge plus a little paint brushed on. You can sub in PVA if you don't have Modge Podge but it wont be quite as strong.
With cardboard you have to be careful not to water it down too much, and you have to be careful not to apply it too heavily or you will get sagging, but it will make your terrain super solid when it fully dries.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Bucnasti posted:

Wattered down modge podge plus a little paint brushed on. You can sub in PVA if you don't have Modge Podge but it wont be quite as strong.
With cardboard you have to be careful not to water it down too much, and you have to be careful not to apply it too heavily or you will get sagging, but it will make your terrain super solid when it fully dries.

Black mod podge is awesome for general DIY terrain: it's just 50% mod podge and 50% black paint.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Speaking of breathing in dangerous chemicals, has anyone ever tried airbrushing oil paints? Kinda curious if you could get more subtle blends / thinner glazes and tints than what is possible with acrylics, but obviously atomizing thinner is potentially way more dangerous (I'd imagine organic vapors filters, a vent hood, and open windows are the bare minimum safety equipment). Also not sure if it would gently caress up the airbrush.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Yeah I think the part where you're operating a chemical weapon is what has limited experimentation with airbrushed oil paints.

Eej fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Feb 21, 2022

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Just thinking about the health risks involved in airbrushing oil paints and thinners is giving me flashbacks to that dipshit who put up a video about smoothing out FDM prints...by airbrushing the same UV resin that's used in resin 3D printing onto them. :stonk:

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Eh, people spray way more dangerous poo poo than oil paints. The important bit is to know how much protection you need for whatever you're spraying and whether it's worth the extra hassle with its setup.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Eej posted:

Yeah I think the part where you're operating a chemical weapon is what has limited experimentation with airbrushed oil paints.

Apparently it's a thing for painting on canvas, which is why I was surprised that it didn't seem like anyone had tried it for mini painting. Definitely more risky than I'd be comfortable with, but I guess artists poisoning themselves with their materials has a pretty long history.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

So long as you have a good mask and are doing it in a well ventilated area, spraying enamel and lacquer paints should be fine.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Verisimilidude posted:

So long as you have a good mask and are doing it in a well ventilated area, spraying enamel and lacquer paints should be fine.

Yeah, most model kit hobbyists use enamel and laquer paints in their airbrushes. Acrylics being the norm is, in my experience, more of a wargaming hobbyist thing.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Apparently it's a thing for painting on canvas, which is why I was surprised that it didn't seem like anyone had tried it for mini painting. Definitely more risky than I'd be comfortable with, but I guess artists poisoning themselves with their materials has a pretty long history.

the grimdark compendium guy has airbrushed oils and I have tried if after seeing that. I also do scale modelling and airbrush enamels/lacquers so wasn't a big difference from that in terms of safety gear but I don't think you really get much benefit over acrylics from applying them that way.

you also have to be super careful as oil paints are probably more likely to be using toxic pigments compared to model painting acrylics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Paragon8 posted:

the grimdark compendium guy has airbrushed oils and I have tried if after seeing that. I also do scale modelling and airbrush enamels/lacquers so wasn't a big difference from that in terms of safety gear but I don't think you really get much benefit over acrylics from applying them that way.

you also have to be super careful as oil paints are probably more likely to be using toxic pigments compared to model painting acrylics.

Afaik the main advantage is that enamels etc are less likely to clog up an airbrush than acrylic paints, as the drying time of acrylics is so much shorter. Instead, you get toxins.

E: I finished up some more skeletons for my club's Renaissance Undead army. I added pennants and flags in green stuff, it's the first time I try making flags that way but I think it worked out ok. Now they're off to the staging point until we get to basing it all.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Feb 21, 2022