Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

larchesdanrew posted:

Guess who got an interview request for that IT Director gig :smug:

Sending you good vibes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

larchesdanrew posted:

:f5h::magical:

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Does anyone know if recruiters even read cover letters for apps applied for online, like, through Indeed?

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Hey so remember how a couple years back, my employer canned the manager of our VMware team and the tech lead for the VMware team and drafted me to fill in, even though I had only been touching VMware for about 9 months? They went for the hat trick! That's right, they RIFed the boss of our UNIX team, the eminence grise of the UNIX team, the manager of the Windows team, a mid-level Windows engineer ... and drafted me to fill in! I also picked another manager and his entire org as part of this, meaning I am no longer just a line manager.

Step 1: Drag this org out of its torpor and into doing poo poo cloud native and cool.
Step 2: Update my resume to say that I dragged two legacy OS teams from being focused on on-prem poo poo to doing infrastructure as code in Azure or AWS
Step 3: You know step 3.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

larchesdanrew posted:

anyone give me odds on larches being head of a major T1 by Q4

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Zorak of Michigan posted:

Hey so remember how a couple years back, my employer canned the manager of our VMware team and the tech lead for the VMware team and drafted me to fill in, even though I had only been touching VMware for about 9 months? They went for the hat trick! That's right, they RIFed the boss of our UNIX team, the eminence grise of the UNIX team, the manager of the Windows team, a mid-level Windows engineer ... and drafted me to fill in! I also picked another manager and his entire org as part of this, meaning I am no longer just a line manager.

Step 1: Drag this org out of its torpor and into doing poo poo cloud native and cool.
Step 2: Update my resume to say that I dragged two legacy OS teams from being focused on on-prem poo poo to doing infrastructure as code in Azure or AWS
Step 3: You know step 3.
Prepare three envelopes?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

luminalflux posted:

Surprisingly common unless you really hammer your ISP for it - asking for google earth KMLs for the whole fiber path is something our old head of global infra at twitch would do

Really the one I'm waiting for is for a provider to sell part of another company's circuit back them as part of a larger circuit.

I'm sure somewhere it's already happening.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Renegret posted:

Really the one I'm waiting for is for a provider to sell part of another company's circuit back them as part of a larger circuit.

I'm sure somewhere it's already happening.

Just get some finance derivatives guys involved, i'm sure they can make it happen.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Does anyone know if recruiters even read cover letters for apps applied for online, like, through Indeed?

I personally stopped writing them because I felt they were ignored, would put a short summary at the top of my CV to compensate, and haven't had any complaints.

For online forms that mandate a cover letter, I would usually upload my CV twice, and again, no complaints.

I think a lot of these things are just requested by rote without any actual person wanting the information.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

larchesdanrew posted:

Hell yeah, you've got this! :sun:

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

larchesdanrew posted:

:hellyeah:

bell jar posted:

I think a lot of these things are just requested by rote without any actual person wanting the information.

It's frustrating. For every modern recruiter giving advice that goes "I look at skills, not hiring ceremonies from the 1950s. Be sure to properly focus on your relevant strengths." there's some rear end in a top hat going "Why if there's not a gift wrapped handy in my post third interview thank you fruit basket, it's RIGHT IN THE TRASH. No professionalism anymore!"

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

PirateDentist posted:

:hellyeah:

It's frustrating. For every modern recruiter giving advice that goes "I look at skills, not hiring ceremonies from the 1950s. Be sure to properly focus on your relevant strengths." there's some rear end in a top hat going "Why if there's not a gift wrapped handy in my post third interview thank you fruit basket, it's RIGHT IN THE TRASH. No professionalism anymore!"

I feel like its it managers doing the first, but HR people doing the second because they don't know the IT social niceties, like mocking people who are full of their titles

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
"why does nobody send thank you notes after interviews any more"

gently caress you, that's why. I'm not going to be pathetically grateful that you'd even consider me, either employ me based on my demonstrated skills or don't.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I don't think thank you notes should be required, but we live in hell, so I send them. It doesn't hurt with the ones who don't care and it helps with the ones who still live in 1957.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I just had an interview with a high-powered CEO lady who ended up not hiring me because we weren't going to have compatible remote schedules, but the conversation was otherwise an energetic fencing match where she led off by telling her story and then saying "I think the younger generation are just sooo entitled, they just don't have the work ethic of people as old as you and me"

Gee thanks lady, now let me tell you how stupid and lazy I feel talking to the people entering my field at half my age

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
I'll start sending thank you notes if they actually start sending rejection notes instead of just ghosting everyone who isn't the person they pick.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Don’t send actual thank you notes. If you do wind up guessing my email because of how, like, the recruiters names are formatted or whatever and send me an electronic mail you’ll instantly vault into the ‘ehhh maybe’ pile because I almost certainly interviewed other people who couldn’t figure that out

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Send a meat and cheese basket with a card after any interview

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I've never gotten a thank you note. I've also never had contact info for the people interviewing me, unless it was someone I knew already.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Entropist posted:

I'll start sending thank you notes if they actually start sending rejection notes instead of just ghosting everyone who isn't the person they pick.
Anyone who tells me I didn't get the job gets a note. That's it.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Oh, I don't send physical thank you notes. That's borderline deranged in the modern era. I send thank you emails.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I presume the dude who got ratio'd on twitter for this also meant emails.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I was glancing thru LinkedIn and I saw a conversation (including a poll) started by a former employee of my company - I hesitate to use colleague or co-worker since I'm internal IT and he's 'sales' (recruiting firm). Anyway it was about thank-you notes after interviews and I thought of this thread, so I figured I'd share. The tweet in the middle is shown full size at the bottom. I did chuckle at the irony of one person posting a thank-you in the thread.

TITTIEKISSER69 fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Feb 21, 2022

sixth and maimed
Mar 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Sending a 'thank you' note after interviewing (or expecting one as a company) establishes a weird power dynamic where I should feel grateful and blessed for being considered for a job. Rather than say a meeting between people that want to see if their need for a professional to help achieve their business goals aligns with my need for money.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
If they have the courtesy to say "sorry you didn't get the job", then I have the courtesy to say "thanks for letting me know", that's about it.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

People who post on LinkedIn are psychopaths

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

sixth and maimed posted:

Sending a 'thank you' note after interviewing (or expecting one as a company) establishes a weird power dynamic where I should feel grateful and blessed for being considered for a job. Rather than say a meeting between people that want to see if their need for a professional to help achieve their business goals aligns with my need for money.

Yes, it's this. We have moved beyond the idea of a company as a 50s style fatherly figure that knows what's best, takes you in and will look after you from cradle to grave provided you behave. People expecting thank you notes are wanting to cover the nasty cracks in modern day capitalism (ie that businesses are inhuman monoliths that consume employee labour to excrete profit and will throw away people the second their cost outweighs their utility) with a veneer of decorum.

I have come to accept that if I want money I need to exchange my time and skills for it, and that companies will ditch me as soon as someone needs to make some lines on spreadsheet balance. This relationship is entirely transactional, and I refuse to pretend otherwise.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Thanks Ants posted:

Man the number of bullshit facebook happy posts are nuts these days. THIS LITTLE GIRL WAS SELLING LEMONADE SO WE GOT 5,000 PEOPLE TO SHOW UP

WATCH THIS DOG WITH ONE LEG PLAY FETCH

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

Thanks Ants posted:

This is a guarantee. The people who post are also a lot of boomers who are retired or near retirement and have no idea wtf is happening anymore or completely fake profiles who are trying to drive engagement. I deleted my Facebook account in 2008 and have no other social media, but it’s still been jarring how idiotic and obvious the fake echo chambers are and how they drive the online outrage machine. I’ve been muting people and reporting disinfo for a while, which I’m guessing is why I keep getting ‘Do you feel your feed is positive?’ Surveys from LI when I use the app. once there’s a credible alternative I’m ditching LinkedIn for sure.

i am a moron fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Feb 21, 2022

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
It’s the modern Rolodex, nothing more. I’m not gonna keep contact info for someone I worked with two jobs ago unless they get to a level when they get my personal number, which is rare because everyone at work gets my gvoice number by default. Even then it’s never used because Teams.

If you are intentionally posting on LI then yeah, sociopath.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
What gets me about LinkedIn is how many people post as if it's Facebook or Twitter. I get that you care very strongly about the Israel/Palestine situation, but unless you're actively employed by a relevant government agency or charity then you should probably STFU about it on the jobhunt site, rando IT nerd.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
My CFO posts on LinkedIn a lot. A whole lot of #Jesus posts from him. Its networking for me, I log in once a year if that.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Put it on hibernate for now. Got sick of vendors just guessing your new email is first.last@newcompany.com and spamming my email or calling for me.

When I'm looking for a job again I'll turn it back on.

sixth and maimed
Mar 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Fil5000 posted:

Yes, it's this. We have moved beyond the idea of a company as a 50s style fatherly figure that knows what's best, takes you in and will look after you from cradle to grave provided you behave. People expecting thank you notes are wanting to cover the nasty cracks in modern day capitalism (ie that businesses are inhuman monoliths that consume employee labour to excrete profit and will throw away people the second their cost outweighs their utility) with a veneer of decorum.

I have come to accept that if I want money I need to exchange my time and skills for it, and that companies will ditch me as soon as someone needs to make some lines on spreadsheet balance. This relationship is entirely transactional, and I refuse to pretend otherwise.

I ask people that talk about being loyal to the company as en employee if they truly believe their company would not fire them if it jeopardizes the profitability.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Put it on hibernate for now. Got sick of vendors just guessing your new email is first.last@newcompany.com and spamming my email or calling for me.

Similarly, my current place announces new hires because it's really small. This results in us immediately getting phishing emails from people pretending to be one of the owners asking for our whatsapp number. We're not exactly easy targets being a security consultancy but... does this work on anyone? It'd be the same number they already have...

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Got one this weekend for a Canadian hair salon franchise. I lol'd.

Re: thank you notes/emails/etc - sure, it's a courtesy, and I feel like some people appreciate it, but expecting or requiring it is a legacy of the old "you're lucky I'm GIVING you this opportunity to serve me" mentality. It really does need to be the other way around in a low-unemployment market. And I think a lot of interviewers (and interviewees) forget that the audition is a two-way street.

I've had more than a couple of interviews where I knew by halfway through that I absolutely didn't want to work there and turned down offers because of it (there's a large insurance company that most people I talk to after the fact tell me I dodged a big bullet).

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Thank you mail/messages is something i will send if the staff is helpful/courteous in addressing some special condition(like if i asked them a unusual timezone for them for the meet and they change their usual HR flow) but otherwise i will only reply to their contact. Double so for big globocorps which expect me to learn their values or whatever to do any kind of selection. I run on mercenary values, provide me cash and you will buy my morals and so on but don't expect i will listen to your corpo spiel nonsense.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

SlowBloke posted:

I run on mercenary values, provide me cash and you will buy my morals and so on but don't expect i will listen to your corpo spiel nonsense.

This 100%.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
I once did a phone screen type interview with someone, and they sent me a thank you note on professional letterhead in a large manila envelope to the wrong office.

They didn't get hired, and the weird thank you note had no impact on that other than just being weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
I'll play the corporate politeness game, and exactly as SlowBloke said, my performance and acting is for sale to the highest bidder. Is that sociopathic? Probably. But it's the way the game is played. :shrug:

The "thank you" letters are also a good place to reiterate a point from the interview if it's something I want to hammer.