Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

is that in russia?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Despera posted:

is that in russia?

Sorry I'm just not clear what a documentary about gay people being attacked by homophobic vigilantes in Chechneya has to do with your claim that Russia has been herding minorities into camps in Crimea. It might be suggestive they want to, sure, but you claimed there was readily available evidence they've been doing it for 8 years?

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

some plague rats posted:

Sorry I'm just not clear what a documentary about gay people being attacked by homophobic vigilantes in Chechneya has to do with your claim that Russia has been herding minorities into camps in Crimea. It might be suggestive they want to, sure, but you claimed there was readily available evidence they've been doing it for 8 years?

nobody said loving camps but you. also they do go to moscow and to the russian supreme court

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
But I'm sure the guy who killed dissidents with polonium and kills gays on the street will be super nice to the ukrainians there.

god imagine defending that regime

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
dunno about camps, but crimean tatars have been systematically hosed since the (edit: previous?) invasion even more than they already were under Ukraine (and they were pretty hosed then! and in the soviet era too)

sample:

https://www.coe.int/en/web/commissioner/-/the-persecution-of-crimean-tatars-must-stop

afaik the Council of Europe is a reasonably reliable human rights org, much else i've heard has been secondhand from EE-focused academic nerds but I might be able to find a few more tidbits if y'all find it implausible that Russian Crimea's sticking it to the decidedly non-Slavic Muslim minority

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Feb 21, 2022

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Despera posted:

nobody said loving camps but you. also they do go to moscow and to the russian supreme court

What?

Majorian posted:

Do you think Russia plans to occupy Ukraine and do what that letter claims they're going to do? If so, why?

Despera posted:

Because they have already done it in the parts they invaded in 2014

Did you actually read the letter you're defending?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
ukrainians complaining about attempted russification back in the day have a point but they got nothin' on the tatars, who got told among other things "you get russian language schools that are often residential schools or you get to be illiterate, choice is yours"

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

GABA ghoul posted:

No, the EU gas directive applies to NS2. This is a change away from Merkel's policy (who planned to fight it in court) and explicitly stated in the coalition agreement

e: to clarify, the 2019 EU gas directive is what gives the Commission power over gas pipelines into the EU

Good info, thanks

HonorableTB posted:

What does this have to do with the topic this thread is about? Nobody's talking about Biden or ICE and they aren't relevant to this discussion
Is there a mechanism to bring up that people are bad faith debaters if they are arguing for one thing in one thread and completely turn around in another one, based not on values on principles but the politics team they support? This is a general idea not relevant to this thread and probably the ignore list is the best option

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

some plague rats posted:

What?

Did you actually read the letter you're defending?

Maybe you could ask them where the camps are

https://twitter.com/ignis_fatum/status/1495382017881649155

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
e: you know what, never mind. I'm done. You're just flailing aimlessly and this is pointless

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Somaen posted:

Is there a mechanism to bring up that people are bad faith debaters if they are arguing for one thing in one thread and completely turn around in another one, based not on values on principles but the politics team they support? This is a general idea not relevant to this thread and probably the ignore list is the best option

Submit a report and/or PM a mod. Koos responds almost universally to PMs and most of us will respond to substantive messages.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

some plague rats posted:

e: you know what, I'm done. You're just flailing aimlessly and this is pointless

defend that disgusting regime

also it wasnt vigiliantes killing gays, it was cops run by a guy who said "there are no gays in chechyna"

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Discendo Vox posted:

Majorian has added the word "concentration" to the claim, which is why it's now being leaned on, and the linked washington post article also links information on the same activities from the Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights.

The reason I added the word "concentration" to the claim is because that is clearly what the letter in question means to imply by saying "sent to camps following a military occupation." All of this is based on nebulous intelligence, the veracity of which cannot be verified by the article's own admission.

No one is denying that the Russian state, in all its forms, has committed terrible atrocities over the past hundred years of their existence, least of all me. One side of my family suffered terribly under Stalin (and some of those who survived went on to suffer terribly under the Nazi occupation). It still continues to commit atrocities. But claiming that the current Russian government intends to occupy Ukraine and is already compiling a list of people to send to "camps" is an incredibly inflammatory claim, and it's one that demands proof if it is to be taken seriously. The U.S. Ambassador to the UN is apparently unable to back up those claims, and there is very little evidence that the Russian government plans to occupy all or most of the country in the first place. The Washington Post has acted indefensibly by publishing this piece without doing their due diligence.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The letter says that "Russia has a list of identified Ukrainians" to be "sent to camps". It doesn't allege there would be a wholesale imprisonment of entire populations, it talks about rounding up specific persons, and it builds up on previous work by UN documenting forced internment of dissidents and civil leaders in occupied territories in various facilities. Whether those facilities should or shouldn't bbe called "camps" seems secondary to the fact that Russia has been systematically vanishing, imprisoning, murdering or forcing into exile anybody who embodies the "undesirables" in its newly conquered provinces - be it liberals, civil rights activists, pro-Ukrainian leaders, LGBT activists, or ethnic minorities (Tartars, Georgians in Ossetia).

What the letter describes is happening, and if your concern is about the chosen nomenclature, well...

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Feb 21, 2022

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

steinrokkan posted:

The letter says that "Russia has a list of identified Ukrainians" to be "sent to camps". It doesn't allege there would be a wholesale imprisonment of entire populations, and it builds up on previous work by UN documenting forced internment of dissidents and civil leaders in occupied territories in various facilities. Whether those facilities should or shouldn't bbe called "camps" seems secondary to the fact that Russia has been systematically vanishing and murdering anybody who embodies the "undesirables" - be it liberals, civil rights activists, pro-Ukrainian leaders, LGBT activists, or ethnic minorities (Tartars, Georgians in Ossetia).

The letter is not speculating like you are, though. It is not saying "there COULD be such a list of people in Ukraine that the Russians are planning to send to camps, based on what we know about some of their past actions." It is saying, "there is such a letter. We know this, because we have intelligence that says so - and no, you may not see this intelligence."

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Majorian posted:

The letter is not speculating like you are, though. It is not saying "there COULD be such a list of people in Ukraine that the Russians are planning to send to camps, based on what we know about some of their past actions." It is saying, "there is such a letter. We know this, because we have intelligence that says so - and no, you may not see this intelligence."

Yes, I know, and I believe it to be true. I didn't mean to imply the letter was a speculation. It's pretty clear that based on Russian intelligence activities and the number of Russians abroad suffering from accute defenestration syndrome, Russia is keeping pretty close tabs on its enemies and their movements, and would without a doubt disseminate lists of enemies to round up in case of an invasion.

I don't need to see the intelligence saying "Russia is trying to systematically exterminate its dissidents" when I can see Russia trying to exterminate its dissidents with my own two eyes.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
So are you acknowledging that you inserted the word "concentration" to misrepresent the source material, now? Because I noticed you've dropped that claim and moved on to a new one without acknowledging it.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Discendo Vox posted:

So are you acknowledging that you inserted the word "concentration" to misrepresent the source material, now? Because I noticed you've dropped that claim and moved on to a new one without acknowledging it.

I acknowledge that I inserted the word "concentration" because that is what the letter clearly is meant to imply.

steinrokkan posted:

Yes, I know, and I believe it to be true. I didn't mean to imply the letter was a speculation. It's pretty clear that based on Russian intelligence activities and the number of Russians abroad suffering from accute defenestration syndrome, Russia is keeping pretty close tabs on its enemies and their movements, and would without a doubt disseminate lists of enemies to round up in case of an invasion.

I don't need to see the intelligence saying "Russia is trying to systematically exterminate its dissidents" when I can see Russia trying to exterminate its dissidents with my own two eyes.

But that is still not what the letter is claiming. The letter strongly suggests that Russia intends to occupy a significant portion of Ukraine (because it seems incredibly unlikely that Russian and Belarussian dissidents in exile are finding refuge in the Russian-sponsored breakaway regions), and outright claims that there is a very real, very literal list of LGBTQ+ people and dissidents to either kill or ship off to camps. The suggestion that Russia intends to invade and occupy more than just the Donbas is already a significant stretch that needs substantiation, and yet there is none to be found anywhere.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Feb 21, 2022

LegendaryFrog
Oct 8, 2006

The Mastered Mind

Majorian posted:

The single line from the US Ambassador to the UN's letter referring to this is, in full:

"Specifically, we have credible information that indicates Russian forces are creating lists of identified Ukrainians to be killed or sent to camps following a military occupation."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/cont...inline_manual_4

Your assertion about US Intelligence refusing to share said 'credible information' seems a bit speculative, given this claim coming from the ambassador is hours old, and saying

Majorian posted:

The Washington Post has acted indefensibly by publishing this piece without doing their due diligence.

is a bit much, given that the Washington Post framed the story as "US Claims...", cited their sources including the letter itself, gave contextualizing information, and reached out to the Russian embassy for commentary.

What additional due diligence would you have them do before reporting the news worthy story of the existence of this letter submitted to the UN?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Russia has in the last couple of years significantly escalated violence against domestic dissidents (most notably the very public assassination attemp on Navalny). If they are planning a full occupation and political reorientation of the country then it would be entirely in character to preemptively sweep up and detain anyone they think will give them trouble. Install a client government and make it very clear to the political class that there are huge personal costs to voicing opposition.

So, being consistent with past practice, the 'go big' scenario, and along with the fact that all the other intelligence leaks have turned out to be accurate... I wouldn't dismiss this.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Majorian posted:

I acknowledge that I inserted the word "concentration" because that is what the letter clearly is meant to imply.
You are so full of poo poo, arguing that Amerikkka is the real villain here because of your made up semantics, while Russia does send people into into camps. I suppose that you protest equally vehemently when somebody talks about US "border camps"? "Well, akshually, they are detention facilities, and your choice of words clearly implies intent to..."

quote:

But that is still not what the letter is claiming. The letter is claiming that Russia intends to occupy a significant portion of Ukraine, and has a very real, very literal list of LGBTQ+ people and dissidents to either kill or ship off to camps. The claim that Russia intends to invade and occupy more than just the Donbas is already a significant stretch that needs substantiation.
Moving goalposts in the usual predictable cascade: "You are saying Russia is going to put everybody into concentration camps" -> "Well I didn't mean concentration camps" -> "Well, it's not like they have lists of people to send to camps" -> "Well they may have lists, but they aren't going to do anything about it" -> "You can't say they are going to invade until they are literally across the border" -> "Well even if they do invade they aren't going to occupy the whole country, so it doesn't matter they have tabs on the people they want dead"

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Feb 21, 2022

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

LegendaryFrog posted:

is a bit much, given that the Washington Post framed the story as "US Claims...", cited their sources including the letter itself, gave contextualizing information, and reached out to the Russian embassy for commentary.

What additional due diligence would you have them do before reporting the news worthy story of the existence of this letter submitted to the UN?

Do not report anything that hurts the feelings of the Great Leader the Russian people, of course.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1495654220288204800?t=zMyU0v3zmQrj7Jwtxq4vaw&s=19

https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1495660986455494657?t=gnVdCbLnVSb9MaNBXUUHCQ&s=19

Unconfirmed, but yeah, keeping almost 200k troops in the field and combat ready for weeks ain't easy for a state like Russia

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

GABA ghoul posted:

https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1495654220288204800?t=zMyU0v3zmQrj7Jwtxq4vaw&s=19

https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1495660986455494657?t=gnVdCbLnVSb9MaNBXUUHCQ&s=19

Unconfirmed, but yeah, keeping almost 200k troops in the field and combat ready for weeks ain't easy for a state like Russia

In 2060 every village from Rostov to Voronezh will have a soldier holdout of the Great Military Exercises of 2022 refusing to demobilize without express orders by his long dead superior officer from back then.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
In 2060 every village from Rostov to Voronezh will have finally fixed their tread-chewed roads

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Kavros posted:

In 2060 every village from Rostov to Voronezh will have finally fixed their tread-chewed roads

This is an underrated point about the cost of all of this - quite a bit of Russian infrastructure has been damaged already. The material price is ultimately insignificant, but I doubt they’re making even the local Russians any happier.

GABA ghoul posted:

This does anecdotally check out with experiences of my Russian acquaintances who did complete their service in the recent couple of years.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
75% of Russia's conventional forces deployed against Ukraine

https://www.cnn.com/europe/live-news/ukraine-russia-news-02-20-22-intl/h_a75912013e1a5572ef733fd4a7167d48

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug
I'm already picturing a Minard map except it's flipped horizontally and has the added variables of Covid cases and half liters consumed.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

https://twitter.com/olliecarroll/status/1495683101321838593

This is interesting, particuarly coming off the back of the Macron-Putin call yesterday and the proposal for a Putin-Biden conference. This might be the last gasp 'is it worth talking more or do we just go?' discussion.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

i say swears online posted:

i've literally never sent one of these so-called e-mails before but i assume you can just hover over the attachment and see if it's a jpeg or exe or zip file

Going back to this but a common vector.is that you can or could have pdfs or image files that have things embedded that cause a virus or cryptlocker to be released. It's what was used for a good while. And depending on the actual (probably minimal) security in embassy computers it's not gonna get caught till it activates.

It's one reason that you get taught to never open any attachments not from someone you know or expect, because hackers have been able to insert viruses in alot of things you never expect.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

There is 1 million active personnel in Russian army so that assessment sounds like nonsense

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

fatherboxx posted:

There is 1 million active personnel in Russian army so that assessment sounds like nonsense

The nuance is explicitly mentioned, if you read the text.

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

I think it's supposed to mean about 75 % of the battalion tactical groups they can put on the field without significant reserve mobilizations

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1495701277250142212?t=ZYp6InQTatonqj5LbTFdFg&s=19

They are ramping up the claims, now Ukraine is supposedly attacking Russia directly. Kremlim announced that Putin will convene Russian security council meeting today

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

fatherboxx posted:

I think this is a reasonable misunderstanding that most people who aren't military watchers would make. 1 million personnel is everyone the Russian army employs, not the count of guys with rifles and bayonets. Like every army the Russian army has a mix of frontline units and support units and garrison units and logistics units and training units. Quite a lot of that is just dedicated to keeping the army existing as a coherent organisation in peacetime. The 'fighty' bit of the army is relatively small and that's what's been concentrated around Ukraine.

So basically this:

brakeless posted:

I think it's supposed to mean about 75 % of the battalion tactical groups they can put on the field without significant reserve mobilizations

It's not about counting people, it's about counting tactical formations. And Russia has basically grabbed everything for this.

e: so uh, was nobody manning the border checkpoint that was completely destroyed and yet somehow produced no injuries?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

GABA ghoul posted:

https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1495701277250142212?t=ZYp6InQTatonqj5LbTFdFg&s=19

They are ramping up the claims, now Ukraine is supposedly attacking Russia directly. Kremlim announced that Putin will convene Russian security council meeting today

Credit where it’s due to Ukrainian munitions, all these explosions and not a single casualty. Including when they “utterly obliterated a border guard site”.

Edit: Here’s the supposed site

https://twitter.com/ntvru/status/1495701196652302341

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Feb 21, 2022

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Alchenar posted:

e: so uh, was nobody manning the border checkpoint that was completely destroyed and yet somehow produced no injuries?

Not all border crossings between Russia and Ukraine are in use so it could indeed have been unmanned. Which of course is convenient.

e: Oh, doesn't look like a border crossing like I interpreted it, just a border guards' watch cabin in the woods? It might well have been empty, border surveillance tends to be increasingly electronic anyway.

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Feb 21, 2022

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Credit where it’s due to Ukrainian munitions, all these explosions and not a single casualty. Including when they “utterly obliterated a border guard site”.

Edit: Here’s the supposed site

https://twitter.com/ntvru/status/1495701196652302341

Not an expert, but that looks like a direct hit to me. What are the chances of a stray round accidentally hitting this glorified shed in the middle of a field miles behind the actual target? Surely, this must be a deliberate attack by the Ukrainians on Russia. Their plan probably looks like this: bomb the huge rear end army at your doorstep that can easily crush you -> ??? -> victory

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

sorta related, IIRC according to outside estimates, out of the 170 or so BTGs that are deployable on a relatively short notice, roughly one third are staffed
entirely with contract soldiers, another third is a mix of contract core personnel and conscripts, and the last third leans heavily on fresh reservists

so a big chunk of the guys hanging out on the ukr borber rn are probably getting paid to be there, whereas chechnya and I think georgia were mostly conscript/reservist affairs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Nenonen posted:

Not all border crossings between Russia and Ukraine are in use so it could indeed have been unmanned. Which of course is convenient.

e: Oh, doesn't look like a border crossing like I interpreted it, just a border guards' watch cabin in the woods? It might well have been empty, border surveillance tends to be increasingly electronic anyway.

The term for a border crossing is пункт пропуска через государственную границу, this is just a nondescript borderline facility.