Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
And He Did! March 3, 1919

Outbursts of Everett True March 3, 1919

Gay and Her Gang March 18, 1930

Oaky Doaks August 15, 1936

Mopsy October 23, 1937

Up Front January 1, 1945

Bootsie’s Big ‘50s

So It Seems April 29, 1952

Those Were the Days November 27, 1958

Wee Pals May 7, 1966

Dogbert December 20, 1966

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Slammy posted:

:hmmyes:

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popcom

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

EasyEW posted:

Crankshaft

A week of strips for this payoff. Pathetic.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Slammy posted:

Now men remember one up one down. You two should not be hanging out together gonna get in trouble for no good reason.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
In today's Blueberry: Blueberry makes his move, or 'Honest, guards, I'm feeling really sick...', or Whatever Reagan got, it's highly contagious!

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2018 Spiderman

1979 comics

Locher Tracy

Origins of the Sunday Comics

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Mandrake & Johnny Hazard don't get Sunday updates.

Computoon: Origins

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Compu-toon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Slammy posted:

Bootsie’s Big ‘50s

That's some lovely art.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

In keeping with the thread's title, Fingerpori.

The literal Finnish equivalent to "skin and bones" is "bones and leather", but that still only explains half of it. For the rest we need to know that the Finnish for a broom is "luuta", which is also the partitive form of "luu", bone.

So the old lady can either be saying that Kyösti is now all bone and leather, or that now Kyösti only has a broom and leathers.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

But where's the viperless milk?!

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Murdstone posted:

F Minus

Zombies are freshly dead and kill to eat, mummies are old dead and kill because of a curse or whatever, skeletons are animated by magic to serve an evil wizard or something.

Or that's what I assume about skeletons. Now that I think about it that's the one with the least lore that I'm aware of.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Murdstone posted:

A week of strips for this payoff. Pathetic.

The line weight on the ice has been bothering me all week. Did he copy and paste it to keep consistency in shape but not account for it resizing?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Twelve by Pies posted:

Fuckin' tabloids, my granddaughter only murdered 75% as many people as they say she did!
No, she did murder as many people she just ALSO sometimes eats vegetables.

Hwurmp posted:

Calvin's classmates yelling at him in unison but instead of "BATS AREN'T BUGS" it's "RABBITS ARE RODENTS"

Zamboni Rodeo posted:

LOL at that fancy cigarette holder, wow. I had somehow managed to forget the detail about how she was just trying to butter him up for a good grade.
It might be a vape thing?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Zereth posted:

It might be a vape thing?

I think most nicotine vapes are those giant bulky robot cocks but weed vapes tend to be long and thin because the cartridge is like two inches long and a quarter inch in diameter, and the batteries tend to be four inches long or so and the same diameter, so maybe she's getting baked?

I know I'd be constantly stoned out of my gourd if I lived in the Mary Worth universe.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Ah poo poo. Skeletons moved into the house nextdoor, there goes my property value!

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Classic Kevin & Kell in: Death comes for us all (December 12-18, 2005)

Modern Kevin & Kell

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Samovar posted:

But where's the viperless milk?!

Too expensive after buying the leathers.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Salsi

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 2/20/02

Brenda Starr 3/18-20/48

Smokey Stover 4/28/46

Everyday Movies 11/12/34

"First you fellers say you'll take it, but then you want I should raise the roof?"

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Giant Days x Batman

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Forward Slash Scare website for Allison's side comics

John Allison posted:

When I lived in Sheffield, I thought Moorfoot was just the bottom of The Moor, a shopping street (where, anecdote fans, Forbidden Planet was and also a market where I recall buying some cheap cushions). This is how inquisitive I was about life back in the mid 1990s. It’s actually this great looking pyramid office building that I may never once have noticed.

Clifford is a 1994 Martin Short movie where he plays a 10-year old boy, that you would be a fool not to watch. It’s divisive.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Kennel posted:

That's some lovely art.

quote:

That's a drat fine cow

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "47 - Jucika and Polite Men"

"48 - Jucika and Patient Visitors"

Visiting sick people to wish them well, an old custom that has become rather silly after the past two years.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1947

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Curtis

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Fuckin' Kevin's mom, she might make my granddaughter murder less people!

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Twelve by Pies posted:

Fuckin' Kevin's mom, she might make my granddaughter murder less people!

That murderbaby maybe can eat plants just fine makes it way more hosed up how they encourage her to constantly murder.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Zerilan posted:

That murderbaby maybe can eat plants just fine makes it way more hosed up how they encourage her to constantly murder.
Yeah I can see why like, predators that would need surgical intervention to digest plants are not doing that, but Coney should be encouraged to eat plants as much as possible. It's not like you can't satisfy chasing and catching instincts without murder, that's literally what cat toys are.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

PetraCore posted:

Yeah I can see why like, predators that would need surgical intervention to digest plants are not doing that, but Coney should be encouraged to eat plants as much as possible. It's not like you can't satisfy chasing and catching instincts without murder, that's literally what cat toys are.

It's possible that Coney is an obligate carnivore -- she can't get the nutrients she needs without a li'l murder

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Predators get plenty of roughage by eating the guts of herbivores.
Let murderbaby be.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popcom (double Dick edition)

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
There's also Lindesfarne who can clearly live off of plants and chooses not to, since she spent most of her juvenile years not even knowing she was an insectivore species. Hell, she only even embraced that side of her because it would have allowed her to legally murder the girl Fenton cheated on her with.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Zerilan posted:

There's also Lindesfarne who can clearly live off of plants and chooses not to, since she spent most of her juvenile years not even knowing she was an insectivore species. Hell, she only even embraced that side of her because it would have allowed her to legally murder the girl Fenton cheated on her with.

I think the general problem with Holbrook is that he approaches his strips like they're gag-a-day strips, but then he's both very careful to maintain continuity and intentionally dives into difficult topics and metaphors for real social problems.

Okay, but what about mummies?!

Vintage Valiant (Nov. 20, 1949)

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Safety Dance posted:

It's possible that Coney is an obligate carnivore -- she can't get the nutrients she needs without a li'l murder
That's why I said as much as possible! Jokes aside Holbrook treats her more like an outdoor cat slaughtering wildlife for fun than someone hunting for food, given she's tiny and yet is apparently causing a local extinction crisis.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

We're taking another extended break from the regular, weekly published Vater & Sohn stories, because now is a very good time to get into some extra content. Over the following days we'll read strips that were originally published in collected editions, and then get into some other stuff.

When we return to regular weeklies, nothing will ever be quite the same again for Vater & Sohn.

Vater und Sohn: Lending a hand without thinking (1936)

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

A little creepy, Walker.

Seems like the girls are doing just fine by themselves. Maybe being female doesn't inherently make them more vulnerable than being male?

Also, why does the Phantom have so many different costumes just ready to go?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Tbf, he has already murdered one potential sex criminal who had designs for them. Who's to say he hasn't done half a dozen more?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
All the costumes are so he can do more extrajudicial justice with disposable aliases. Half the jungle patrol budget is spent on building fake lives for the unseen commander to burn on black ops.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

TegneHanne

The Good Innvandrer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus