Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
The British Empire looted magic just like they looted everything else.
These other schools have to cover so much ground because they're only just now getting out from under Hogwarts' thumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

HootTheOwl posted:

The British Empire looted magic just like they looted everything else.
These other schools have to cover so much ground because they're only just now getting out from under Hogwarts' thumb.

Ha I like this idea. The whole Harry Potter series is just like how the Brits view themselves in WWII, taking down Hitler, except even worse because Voldemorte is literally specifically one of them and not just a fellow traveler/rival. Also Hogwarts keeps trying to murder the headmasters of the African and Asian schools

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

its honestly not that far off an interpretation one of the weirdest aspects of voldemorts grand coalition is that it consists of all the sentient magical creatures who suffer from racism

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Some Guy TT posted:

its honestly not that far off an interpretation one of the weirdest aspects of voldemorts grand coalition is that it consists of all the sentient magical creatures who suffer from racism

"A People's History of Hogwarts"

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

hogwarts $chool of witchKKKraft and wizardry

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

i say swears online posted:

hogwarts $chool of witchKKKraft and grand wizardry

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020

hogwarts $chool of witchKKKraft and wizardry

loving lmfao

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lol good edit

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
yer a grand wizard Ron

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020
I like the idea of hermione being black cause it makes everyone’s dismissal of her elf slavery abolition way more funnier

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

joint dictatorship of the proletariat of the oppressed wizardry schools

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020
sorcerers by j Sakai

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
What is to be Dispelled

by Vladimage Lenin

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Muggle Blood, Wizard Masks

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Muggle Blood, Wizard Masks

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Teaching to Transform, Wizardry as the Practice of Freedom

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
The Communist Magifesto.
Quotations from Chairman NoMag Zedong.

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020
you mean the little red grimoire?

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

the eighteenth brumaire of draco malfoy

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Boy this new Texas Chainsaw Massacre sure sucks some major rear end.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
i didn't watch fantastic beasts, but it sounded wild. bringing up the holocaust in your whimsical YA fantasy, there's no way this could be jarring in tone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mxgSq1wiPk

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

crepeface posted:

bringing up the holocaust in your whimsical YA fantasy, there's no way this could be jarring in tone

i think pan's labyrinth is neat because of this specific dissonance

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

its weird that Voldemort killed like maybe 100 brits and he's somehow hitler level "take over the world" global threat. The Worst Wizard Badguy of All Time.

I guess I'm used to american movies shutting out the rest of the world but at least our badguys kill like a city worth of people not just a double decker bus

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

crepeface posted:

i didn't watch fantastic beasts, but it sounded wild. bringing up the holocaust in your whimsical YA fantasy, there's no way this could be jarring in tone

Crimes of Grindelwald features two infanticides.

Antonymous posted:

its weird that Voldemort killed like maybe 100 brits and he's somehow hitler level "take over the world" global threat. The Worst Wizard Badguy of All Time.

I guess I'm used to american movies shutting out the rest of the world but at least our badguys kill like a city worth of people not just a double decker bus

Rowling making up all those other magic schools is tacitly admitting that Voldemort was never going to take over the wizarding world. Imagine a wizard nazi takeover of the British Isles just in time for Brexit.

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

crepeface posted:

surely the woman behind banking goblins can handle the topic appropriately. are jews allowed to be wizards in HP? makes me wonder about I/P tensions in the middle east wizard school, maybe it's like a Eurovision situation.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

surely the woman behind banking goblins can handle the topic appropriately. are jews allowed to be wizards in HP? makes me wonder about I/P tensions in the middle east wizard school, maybe it's like a Eurovision situation.

please. you think the greatest writer of the 21st century doesn't have this one covered?

https://twitter.com/jk_rowling/status/544946669448867841?lang=en-GB

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Antonymous posted:

school #10 serves half the world population

Hogwarts serves 0.8%

also lol unified ireland with UK

its hard to overstate the extent to which english media class still have a sun-never-sets view of the centrality and importance of their miserable little island. its a high bar to be worse than americans about this, but they somehow not only manage but excel. i once heard an oxbridge prof who'd just said "well is that near delhi? just say that" to someone from bangalore then act incensed when they didn't know where guildford was

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

lmao

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

https://twitter.com/frankiemuniz/status/1495615213894500352

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

YaketySass posted:

While it's funny to imagine the "wow, so twisted" method acting marketing campaign for the Riddler, they're clearly exaggerating what Dano's saying:

https://twitter.com/ScreenSlate/status/1495034958041206784

I'm so excited. I'm a Paul Dano stan.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

josh04 posted:

please. you think the greatest writer of the 21st century doesn't have this one covered?

https://twitter.com/jk_rowling/status/544946669448867841?lang=en-GB

lol

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
Moshe Stereotypeberg, Jew House, CPA

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

DEEE JAAAAY BLYATMAAAAAN! *

Good soup! posted:

DEEE JAAAAY BLYATMAAAAAN! *

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsL0VstDxbk

*quotes have been altered.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

this reminds me of that time years ago when slashie said it was racist to post recipes with dairy in them because all people of color are lactose intolerant

lmao

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I'm honestly surprised that Slashie/Tiny Brontosaurus hasn't rereg'd yet

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

It's cool that christianity and judaism are both somehow compatible with the world of literal wizardry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

It's a wonder there's no twitter lore about how sex changing spells are strictly forbidden.

At least not yet.