Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Comrade Fakename posted:

Last summer, during my “cheat week” where I break from my diet and basically gorge myself, I got quite into making kettle corn. It’s very easy to make, though a bit tiring - you basically heat oil in a big pot and then add a bunch of kernels along with sugar straight into the oil. Then you have to physically shake the pot over the heat for however long it takes for all the corn to pop. This results in the sugar caramelising on the popcorn, but tastes quite different from the toffee popcorn you can buy in shops. A lovely burnt sugar taste. I recommend it!

When I was a Girl Guide :trefoil: , we used to make big jars of popcorn exactly like this to sell at the Bring and Buy.

Page snipe:

Back when I were a lassie, 1984 was the bogie man year. It came and went with barely a sniff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=du1fM0pSGwY

My boyfriend and I used to sit listening to Spirit and Van der Graaf Generator albums.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Feb 21, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
I'm using smarty, 20 quid a month for unlimited data. I just put my hotspot on and use it as the flat internet. No point in paying twice. I have everything connected to it and it's fine, usually even faster then wired internet honestly. Apart from some minor issues transferring my old number they've been fine, and even then they were pretty good and refunded me a month for the trouble. Depending on what we do the usage can sometimes be upwards of 100gb a month with steam + the PlayStation and no one has said anything. Would recommend.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

goddamnedtwisto posted:

https://twitter.com/MangleJRodan/status/1495487189781827588

Dylan Moran is a good lad who means well.

(Seriously he's one of my all-time favourite standups and this just reinforces it, and just lol at the Torygraph picking Linehan and loving Louis CK as their examples of "cancel culture")

They tried it with Colm too

https://twitter.com/cheekyosaurus/status/1495511160048820232?t=jSxFLIdxCt0KFRI1rSKB4A&s=09

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
I don’t know what phase of storm we’re supposed to be at now but Jesus Christ the wind was insane last night. Way worse than anything during the actual red warning period on Friday

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Lungboy posted:

They tried it with Colm too

Between these two and Margaret Atwood it's good to see some decent people pushing back against our "journalists". It's also amazing in particular with the terfalists how they always say they're just protecting women's rights yet they're always so eager to defend men who have treated women so badly. "Women's safety is the most important thing, now let me tell you why Woody Allen/Louis CK/Roman Polanski are all such great guys and victims of cancel culture".

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I thought atwood had jumped on the terf bandwagon last I was aware tbh.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

God I love Colm Meaney. Miles O'brien is a union man, and so is Colm.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Hadley Freeman flew to Toronto to interview her for the Graun recently & she pushed back pretty hard on Hadley's TERF poo poo. No idea about anything else

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

goddamnedtwisto posted:

https://twitter.com/MangleJRodan/status/1495487189781827588

Dylan Moran is a good lad who means well.

(Seriously he's one of my all-time favourite standups and this just reinforces it, and just lol at the Torygraph picking Linehan and loving Louis CK as their examples of "cancel culture")

Hell yeah.

I'm genuinely glad to see he's a goodun (and Bill Bailey too, from everything I've seen)

Edit and Colm too, fantastic

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

OwlFancier posted:

forkboy84 posted:

Hadley Freeman flew to Toronto to interview her for the Graun recently & she pushed back pretty hard on Hadley's TERF poo poo. No idea about anything else

https://twitter.com/demarionunn/status/1494967951673413635

She definitely said some worrying stuff before though, maybe she was misrepresented.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Of course, cheering on people that say what you want to hear is just the other side of the cancel culture coin though isnt it.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Of course, cheering on people that say what you want to hear is just the other side of the cancel culture coin though isnt it.

It is, and it owns

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Failed Imagineer posted:

It is, and it owns

i suppose so. until your duck drinks your milkshake.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Lovely as it is to think Dylan Moran and Colm Meaney and Margaret Atwood are pleasant people, the joy here is less in that and more just in seeing straightforward responses to these questions that the journalists asking them are always at pains to exclude.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

forkboy84 posted:

God I love Colm Meaney. Miles O'brien is a union man, and so is Colm.

For context for those not aware.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4BRe0ZKTAc

Jim Larkin would be proud.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
I'm trying to think of who's ever actually been 'cancelled' for anything other than really heinous poo poo like holocaust denial or being a lunatic bellend like Laurence Fox. Like, a bunch of people hate Rowling cos of her terfery, but its not like her books have been taken off the shelves in shops.

Just a bunch of cunts constantly banging on about a problem which doesn't actually exist.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's a problem for them on account of them being, as you say.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

The Perfect Element posted:

I'm trying to think of who's ever actually been 'cancelled' for anything other than really heinous poo poo like holocaust denial or being a lunatic bellend like Laurence Fox. Like, a bunch of people hate Rowling cos of her terfery, but its not like her books have been taken off the shelves in shops.

Just a bunch of cunts constantly banging on about a problem which doesn't actually exist.

Being cancelled just means "facing consequences for my lovely takes" to these people.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

"cancelled" is actually just "being criticised", but they're such pathetic coddled babies this actually feels like oppression to them

EDIT

forkboy84 posted:

Being cancelled just means "facing consequences for my lovely takes" to these people.

:respek:

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

I want to say what I want about other people without them saying what they want about me.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Real cancellation isn't something that affects celebrities. If you're famous you're insulated from all but the worst of accusations - and even then you either get a cancellation tour and a new far right fanbase or you quietly retreat from public life and continue living a life of luxury without any obligations.

It's the "normal" people or the very mildly well known who say something a bit thoughtless or ill conceived on Twitter that are at risk of having their lives ruined if it gets picked up by the wrong people or goes viral.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

OwlFancier posted:

Although others have expanded on what she's said lately, I think we are always going to have difficulties if we go looking for bad things someone might've once said. If they're holding themselves up as a paragon of virtue to punch down then sure (eg David Baddiel) or are actively being awful, again get em, but we need to be more accepting of human transgressions. Margaret Atwood did back a letter essentially against cancel culture, which was quite a bit dodgy, but that makes it all the sweeter when terfs and nutters try to cosy up to her and get smacked back down.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

forkboy84 posted:

"Consequences" in the sense of still being richer than some countries GDP, but may occasionally have something other than fawning praise pass in front of their eyeballs

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
A lot of the time 'cancelling' just ends up being mainstream public figures reverting to a baseline level of notoriety after widespread fame and settling into their actual audience. I.e. bigots end up only being asked on the bigot-supporting platforms where they're well received only by bigots

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Barry Foster posted:

Hell yeah.

I'm genuinely glad to see he's a goodun (and Bill Bailey too, from everything I've seen)

Bill Bailey has been racist against Chinese people in his stand-up routine, so I don't know where you got that from.

E:

This woman has the Patel smirk.

Jedit fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Feb 21, 2022

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Jedit posted:

Bill Bailey has been racist against Chinese people in his stand-up routine, so I don't know where you got that from.

oh, well that sucks

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
I do think there's a problem in online culture with the outrage machine motivating people to seek anger over insight and algorithms like Twitter's working to reinforce that. People seem motivated to take others' posts in the worst possible faith to attack each other, and I think you can legitimately get cancelled over some of the dumbest, mildest poo poo.

But you can only get "cancelled" by members of your own peer group. People on the right can't actually get cancelled by people on the left because people on the right don't actually care what left-wingers care think or say about them. Same with mainstream journalists, as long as you can still get a column in the guardian or the telegraph no amount of twitter outrage actually "cancels" you.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Jimmy saville is a great big dead pedo and they're making a big film about him!

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Reveilled posted:

I do think there's a problem in online culture with the outrage machine motivating people to seek anger over insight and algorithms like Twitter's working to reinforce that. People seem motivated to take others' posts in the worst possible faith to attack each other, and I think you can legitimately get cancelled over some of the dumbest, mildest poo poo.

But you can only get "cancelled" by members of your own peer group. People on the right can't actually get cancelled by people on the left because people on the right don't actually care what left-wingers care think or say about them. Same with mainstream journalists, as long as you can still get a column in the guardian or the telegraph no amount of twitter outrage actually "cancels" you.
Yeah there actually is such a thing as cancel culture, and it is a problem in progressive discourse, and is literally nothing to do with what right wingers like to rail against, which doesn't exist & is just a bunch of sophistry to make "people disagree with me on the internet :reddit:" seem like a serious societal problem

kind of annoying that it makes "there is no such thing as cancel culture" a false statement, but I still tend to go with "there is no such thing as cancel culture you loving idiot" if anyone brings it up because it's not like those types argue in good faith or care about progressive discourse, and also I get to call them a loving idiot

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Reveilled posted:

Also when this "cancellation" happens, it usually starts with the small dumb poo poo, then the antagonist refuses to accept any criticism and doubles down, then keeps getting worse and worse until they start shrieking the quiet part loud. They don't usually go full Lineham but many are definitely on that path.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I really don't think it is the internet making people cynical of others, rather the consistent behaviour of most of the people and institutions you interact with and who have traditional public platforms.

Insight is something you should extend to people you trust, but cynicism is by far the more sensible outlook for literally everybody else.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Remember when Parents Against Dungeons and Dragons cancelled Gary Gygax or when Jack Thompson cancelled video games? Good times.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Forget HMV. Here’s a real cultural landmark that faces closure..

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/news/derby-news/derbys-43-room-swingers-club-6691548

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

All Jimmy Carr had to do was keep his head down for a week and now no-one cares.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It is true that people should definitely hold grudges better than they do.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

That's well thought out, FIATs really suck rear end.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
The photo gallery that goes with that article is amazing. It's like the crystal maze but everything is sticky.

e:

quote:

The picnic-themed area features a large tent, which is lit from the inside to create silhouettes.

:gooncamp:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7066494300665711877

No, please build even more ultra-tall buildings right by the river with tiny gaps between them that focus winds like the loving Death Star.

This is where the video was taken from, tallest residential building in the UK, you get a rather better idea of the problem from the 3D view though:

This is the area from the direction the wind was coming in - those completely smooth buildings really do focus the wind almost perfectly (and also team up with the buildings behind to focus westerlies right down the dock onto the bridge i was talking about last week).

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Jedit posted:

Was he? Are you referring to the owl bit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Margaret Atwood seems like a good sort, but is also old, and so doesn't understand the culture war ramifications of some of the stuff she puts her name to. So, she'll be fully on board for trans rights, but when some terf asks her to sign something she misses the obfuscated implications and just agrees "why yes, I do think that authors such as JK Rowling should be allowed to speak their mind," or "of course you should be allowed to say the word 'mother.'"