Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Because some demographics love "ripped from the headlines" and it's easier to write things when half the story is already known. The morning show does the same poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The Bin Laden episode of Newsroom would have been 1000 times better if they'd run with the idea that everybody fully embraced that one lady insisting The Rock's cryptic tweet meant he was coming back to WWE to kick Triple H's rear end, and Jeff Daniels made some big impassioned speech on-the-air about The People rising up against the Connecticut Bluebloods and how it relates to the Communist Revolution :colbert:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Cojawfee posted:

I liked SportsNight. I watched it last year and really enjoyed it. I don't watch any sports besides F1, so I don't know anything about the sports they talked about and I never watch sports news shows like that, so anything that was "wrong" didn't bother me.

I think the women on the show are like way too dependent on the guys? They are shown to be smart/motivated but their personal lives are always a mess and someone like Dana suddenly becomes ditzy when she wants a guy. They always need Isaac or Dan or Casey or even Jeremy to calm them down about something and think straight.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Sounds like Donna in West Wing and Alison Pill in Newsroom and Emily Mortimer in Newsroom a-

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Only good Sorkin is A Few Good Men.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Looten Plunder posted:

Id love kind of the opposite but for the Newsroom. Some website that skewers the show in real time instead of summarising it retrospect with funny one liners. While it was pretty on the nose at times, I still enjoyed the Sorkin-styled set pieces of everyone rushing to piece something together on the air and the epic Jeff Daniels rants.

I know it's always icky dramatizing real world events and it's easy to criticize the shown for things like "oh look how high and mighty they are, handling everything perfect while the rest of the networks gently caress it up because this network has the benefit of a writer's room and all the facts" but I think the viewer is smart enough to realise this isn't real life and of course they're going to take creative licence.

Hell, West Wing did the same thing and was beloved. But tons of shows, from HOUSE to Sherlock do the "main characters are the smartest guys in the room" thing and don't get crucified.

As for the politics, I feel like the Spader/Shatner guys from Boston Legal probably have terrible politics in comparison and we all still freakin loved that show.

The West Wing worked because "smartest guy in the room" was the President of the United States and his staff. It worked because those characters had to deal with big national and global problems.

But when Sorkin tries to make the writers of SNL into the smartest guys and "SNL stealing a joke" into something of the same importance as war in the middle east it doesn't work.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
I'm always amazed Dave isn't a Sorkin movie tbh

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Zero One posted:

The West Wing worked because "smartest guy in the room" was the President of the United States and his staff. It worked because those characters had to deal with big national and global problems.

Yeah, like Toby slashing Social Security benefits to “save” it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Yeah but it feels better when the president tells a sappy story about a man who turned down his benefits because he valued a hard day's work.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Look, say what you will about the women on the Newsroom, but the episode where Sloan gets tired of everyone's bullshit and single handedly tries to warn the world about Fukushima is really really good -- in a mad, camp way.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Open Source Idiom posted:

Look, say what you will about the women on the Newsroom, but the episode where Sloan gets tired of everyone's bullshit and single handedly tries to warn the world about Fukushima is really really good -- in a mad, camp way.

I remember actually liking that plot because she gets completely reamed out for telling the truth because her reporting causes an international incident with the Japanese government, and the network has to issue a bullshit retraction despite her being right. It was surprisingly complex for that show.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

The handshake always kills me.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I can appreciate Raised for Wolves trying to use the established reality of its setting in order to cheekily use day-for-night “realistically”… but it still looks like poo poo because it’s day-for-night.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Do you mean filming during the day and then applying filters to make it look dark?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Slamhound posted:

The handshake always kills me.

Gives me strong Vegan Police vibes :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-vw8Ex_-vA

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

I watched episodes here and there when it first aired, my fondest memories of the show were actually when the main cast largely got sidelined for Alan Alda and Jimmy Smits coming in as the Presidential nominees in an election year. A couple of years back a friend who absolutely adored the show convinced me to watch it with him and it really didn't hold up at all and I don't think we made it past the 2nd season? Maybe it's because I just got too familiar with Sorkin's writing style on other things, but everything felt incredibly contrived and artificial, plus of course it was made at a time when every show had to have like 24 episodes in a season regardless of the story being told so it felt like it was on an endless treadmill.

I think the sum total of the politics of the West Wing was the only thing things they did in the show were balance the budget and bomb a foreign country.

The sanctimonious tone, the frankly odious main protagonists, Sorkins bullshit when it came to women, etc makes the West wing fairly unwatchable these days.

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Feb 21, 2022

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

I just remember the scene from the west wing where Charlie advocates for charter schools/vouchers lmbo. What a heinous show that was.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Oh and let's nominate a turbo nazi and an ultra liberal to the Supreme Court because only good things happen when those two sides argue.

Goddamn the Clinton years really broke the brains of a lot of people.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Cojawfee posted:

Do you mean filming during the day and then applying filters to make it look dark?

Yes.

I get that they’ve been using it since the start to give the impression that the planet never really has a full Earth-style night, but the handful of scenes they’ve done it this season have been so navy blue that it honestly becomes hard to see what’s happening onscreen.

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I can appreciate Raised for Wolves trying to use the established reality of its setting in order to cheekily use day-for-night “realistically”… but it still looks like poo poo because it’s day-for-night.

i was always told the reason manos:the hands of fate looks bad is because they *didnt* use day for night. what happened? decades of technological process?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Vitruvian Manic posted:

i was always told the reason manos:the hands of fate looks bad is because they *didnt* use day for night. what happened? decades of technological process?

Filming at night is almost always limited by budget/logistics. It’s expensive and requires a whole bunch of equipment you don’t need to film during the day. Manos looked like poo poo because they had no budget and therefore no way to light anything properly at night. Raised by Wolves shouldn’t have that same issue.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Filming at night is almost always limited by budget/logistics. It’s expensive and requires a whole bunch of equipment you don’t need to film during the day. Manos looked like poo poo because they had no budget and therefore no way to light anything properly at night. Raised by Wolves shouldn’t have that same issue.

Child labour laws though?

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Feb 21, 2022

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I don't know what the dynamic range (or whatever the term should be) of the camera they used was. But considering you only had a few minutes of film at a time and, iirc, didn't even spit out an audio track, it's likely that a lot of gear like global illumination balloons or floodlights wouldn't have helped those night scenes.

Iirc Leo D's film The Beach had an especially egregious use of Blue Filter Day-to-Night for a scene.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
https://twitter.com/meganamram/status/1087143660389466112?s=21

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Severance is beautifully shot

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I always hear this trivia tidbit that movies filmed at night always wet the streets because it makes it look better. First of all, is that true and secondly, are they saying that the streets are wet and you don't actually know it and think they're dry or are they literally referring to "night time rain scenes look cool"?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
They are just saying that it looks cool as hell for the street to be wet at night because it reflects all the lights in the scene.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

You've never driven at night after the rain and thought drat this looks cool

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Yes I have, but I can't think of any movies off the top of my head where everything is wet but not raining for seemingly no reason other than it looking cool.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Looten Plunder posted:

Yes I have, but I can't think of any movies off the top of my head where everything is wet but not raining for seemingly no reason other than it looking cool.

Basically any crime movie from the 80s set at night.

bou
Aug 3, 2006

IRQ posted:

I finally finished The Expanse, and that felt really rushed. Not bad, just missing a lot. Which seems to be a running theme with Amazon shows for me. Are all their shows like this? I haven't read the books, so it could be they're like that too, but I don't think so.

They should have cut two hours of Reacher and given them to The Expanse and both shows would have been better for it.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Matt Zerella posted:

Only good Sorkin is A Few Good Men.

Social network, two cathedrals, there’s a list short list of just pure good stuff. He’s just a dork that is very much liberal boomer.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Looten Plunder posted:

For some reason Blade Runner 2049 comes to mind

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Looten Plunder posted:

Literally every car commercial does this.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
What the goon consensus on the "His Dark Materials" show, now that the two first seasons are out? I remember the initial reception being pretty muted, and there was barely any discussion of season 2. Worth a watch?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

It's good, but not a very flashy show? It feels like it's from a different era, like an early 2000s miniseries or something, in both good ways and bad. I'd say it's worth a watch, because pretty much everyone is really great in it, especially Ruth Wilson. Also they're not stretching it out, it's 3 seasons, one per book, bam, done.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
If you're familiar with the story then you're not going to get too much out of the adaptation, particularly the second season -- which IMO really suffers from filming during the onset of covid. It's also, it needs to be said, a "family show" AKA a show for kids that adults can also watch, so there are weird moments where it struggles with how violent to make the material. (e.g. a suspiciously silent neck snap.)

That said, it's a good looking show with strong performances and an admirable respect for the individual episode, particularly the first season. The big Bolvanger episode in the first season is very good and spooky.

And Ruth Wilson is amazing in it.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

SimonChris posted:

What the goon consensus on the "His Dark Materials" show, now that the two first seasons are out? I remember the initial reception being pretty muted, and there was barely any discussion of season 2. Worth a watch?

Very meh

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Looten Plunder posted:

I always hear this trivia tidbit that movies filmed at night always wet the streets because it makes it look better. First of all, is that true and secondly, are they saying that the streets are wet and you don't actually know it and think they're dry or are they literally referring to "night time rain scenes look cool"?

I know The Warriors did this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I liked the second season more than the first, but that may have also been the cathartic release of "we finally are getting an adaptation of The Subtle Knife and The Amber Spyglass" more than anything. Another positive is that now that Will is officially in the story, they don't have to do the weird back-and-forth crap that bogged down the first season and it seems that the directors finally remembered that Dafne Keen can actually act when you give her things to do.

Honestly, I only recommend it to people that enjoyed the books, otherwise there's not really anything special about the show