Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Quick question until a faction gets a new codex supplement for ninth; do you just use the eighth edition one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Quick question until a faction gets a new codex supplement for ninth; do you just use the eighth edition one?

Eeyup. Alongside the adjustment dataslates.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

Marshal Prolapse posted:

https://wahapedia.ru/wh40k9ed/the-rules/playing-this-game/ probably has all the rules for the faction you want (and more) if you want to save money until the 9th release

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Cooked Auto posted:

You missed the Eldar second wave with the Avatar, Shining Spears. And the Corsairs. So that's most likely for march 5th like they've done before.
And they'll break it up with the AoS tomes in quick succession. Don't think they're going to release both at the same time. They never do that.

I didn't miss it, I'm assuming the next Eldar wave will be spread out like the Sisters (May/June/July), Orks (July/Aug/Sept), and BT (Oct/Nov) waves were. Eldar wave 2 could even be alongside the Nids codex if that just comes with minimal models.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

xtothez posted:

An interesting set of Tyranid rumours have been appearing this weekend, and they have now been corroborated by someone who leaked Tau & Eldar rules over the last couple of months.

A bunch of Tyranid kits including the combat patrol are now no longer available, so the codex is imminent.

Tyrants getting a reroll aura has interesting implications since scything talons give reroll 1s right now, so they'll be changing too if this pans out.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Where the hell are my CSM updates.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

xtothez posted:

I didn't miss it, I'm assuming the next Eldar wave will be spread out like the Sisters (May/June/July), Orks (July/Aug/Sept), and BT (Oct/Nov) waves were. Eldar wave 2 could even be alongside the Nids codex if that just comes with minimal models.

Fair point. Luckily we'll only have to wait a week to find out. :v:

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Played a game as Tyranids today and I want to wrap my head around something. I tried to use Endless Swarm to resurrect a destroyed pack of Hormagaunts.

quote:

Use this Stratagem at the end of your Movement phase. Select a unit of Termagants, Hormagaunts or Gargoyles (or any HYDRA INFANTRY unit) from your army that has been completely destroyed. Add an identical unit to your army, and set it up as reinforcements wholly within 6" of any board edge, more than 9" from enemy models.

The reinforcements rules as explained to me meant that this stratagem is me spending 2 command points to get the benefit of spending army points to bring back a unit, not that they come back as a resurrected "free" unit. Is that really how reinforcements work? I'm paying 2 CP to pay the same points for the same unit, again, and it would only work if I intentionally under-spent on my army by not bringing a full strength army list in the first place and had the "spare" points?

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

bird food bathtub posted:

Played a game as Tyranids today and I want to wrap my head around something. I tried to use Endless Swarm to resurrect a destroyed pack of Hormagaunts.

The reinforcements rules as explained to me meant that this stratagem is me spending 2 command points to get the benefit of spending army points to bring back a unit, not that they come back as a resurrected "free" unit. Is that really how reinforcements work? I'm paying 2 CP to pay the same points for the same unit, again, and it would only work if I intentionally under-spent on my army by not bringing a full strength army list in the first place and had the "spare" points?

It makes more sense if you're aware that you only pay reinforcement points in Matched Play games, but not in Narrative or Open Play games.

The strat is effectively more of a narrative / crusade style rule but isn't useful in normal games.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Hey I posted this in the painting thread, but in case anyone who posts here doesn’t read that thread, I wanted to cross post this.

I just wanted to say thank you so much for all the help everyone has been giving me. I just finished priming the last part of the Start Collecting Astra Militarium set. I just have to paint it now. Honestly, I’m still kind of amazed I’ve gotten this far and I’m also happy the Leman Russ came with the set as it made the mistakes a little easier to take. I couldn’t attach the tanks light because of where I placed the hand originally and also those things that go around the tanks hatch I tried cutting them out and I think two of them got cut in half because they were just very very thin plastic.

That said now it’s time to finish my 3 other guard units (one is a Krieg), my two manticores, and Valkyrie. The cool thing is while not balanced in the least probably, I should usually have enough points or power level to play without needing anything else.

That said as a result of switching to new phones I sold off my old phone and my wife’s (as we often do) and have around $368 extra to spend to fIll it out some more…or be a total goon and just get the Shieldbreaker interdiction set since I can get it 20% off the sticker price from my LGS.

Don't spend more until you've built and painted up what you got. Down that path lies the pile of shame.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
I've been building some Infiltrators and used some milliput and blue stuff to make a second Helix Adept.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

xtothez posted:

It makes more sense if you're aware that you only pay reinforcement points in Matched Play games, but not in Narrative or Open Play games.

The strat is effectively more of a narrative / crusade style rule but isn't useful in normal games.

I guess I see why it exists then but still, sort of a kick in the dick to find out mid-game. Goes from looking like a shiny new tool in the box to a steaming turd in the hand.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

Eej posted:

Don't spend more until you've built and painted up what you got. Down that path lies the pile of shame.

Yes!!! You could be the chosen one; they who were foretold that would finish ALL their models before buying any more!

Some say it's just a legend, though

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

bird food bathtub posted:

I guess I see why it exists then but still, sort of a kick in the dick to find out mid-game. Goes from looking like a shiny new tool in the box to a steaming turd in the hand.

There was a time in 40k when daemons could be summoned for free. Zero points cost. In semi-competitive and competitive play this led to entirely predictable stupidity with daemons flooding the board.

Responding to this, in 8th, GW got rid of rules that allowed free summoning. It was replaced with allowing players to leave points on their rosters to buy units later using summoning/spawning special rules. Obviously, much weaker. A good change, removed some flavour from matched play - but it still worked in narrative where this kind of thing probably belonged anyway.

It's totally understandable that you missed this though. It doesn't sound like a summoning rule (because they called the summoning rule the reinforcements rule) and also Chaos Space Marines actually have (had?) a stratagem that allows what you thought you could do here. Albeit with an extant unit rather than one that has been wiped out:

quote:

TIDE OF TRAITORS

Chaos Space Marines Stratagem

The galaxy is filled with pathetic wretches who give themselves willingly to Chaos for the chance to win power and glory.

Use this Stratagem at the end of your Movement phase. If you do, pick a unit of Chaos Cultists and remove it from the battlefield. You can then set it up again wholly within 6" of the edge of the battlefield and more than 9" from any enemy models, at its full starting strength. You can only use this Stratagem once per battle.

Maneck fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Feb 21, 2022

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
I need my Knights codex :negative:

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
Rules that allow you to re-summon dead units for free do exist, they always specift if you don't need to pay reinforcement points though.

Biggest example is Daemons who can summon a unit killed by Grey Knights again for some CP.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

How hosed is a demon army playing against Grey Knights? I know that GKs should be uniquely good at killing them, but how does it actually shake out on the table?

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
I have no practical experience but Daemons have one of the oldest codexes and are one of the weaker armies by and large, while GK are one of the stronger ones up until very recently, so I can’t imagine it’s a good match.

Maybe the Be’lakor army of renown does okay?

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
That’s so insane re: the preview of combat boxes and then just sitting on them.

There’s been weeks with no model releases, just poo poo out the combo box.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BaronVanAwesome posted:

Yes!!! You could be the chosen one; they who were foretold that would finish ALL their models before buying any more!

Some say it's just a legend, though

A legend my wife and sister have been trying to make The Imperial Truth. :v:

I’ve been digging around on BattleScribe and and I still need one or two more units…Space marines Shieldbreakers…I mean Cadian Command Squad and maybe an extra Russ or two.

Edit: Yeah I’d love for release dates on those sets. Honestly there usually decently priced…after discount….and it allows you to get an army you can play with…well not the Guard.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Feb 21, 2022

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Gunder posted:

How hosed is a demon army playing against Grey Knights? I know that GKs should be uniquely good at killing them, but how does it actually shake out on the table?

It used to be a total wipe for the Daemons because every grey knight unit on the board did flat 3 damage with smite and they got +1 to cast, so you needed 4 smites before it became more likely you'd fail than pass (4, 5, 6, 7) whereas now it's 3 smites until you reach that point and you only do D3.

On top of that it used to be the case everyone just natively got I want to say re-roll wounds against Daemons, and then got the benefit of a tide on top of that (one of which gave you 4 damage smites).

These days there's no inherent extra benefit to fighting a Daemon player as a Grey Knight other than one of the Tides of the Warp which gives you re-roll hits and wounds of 1 vs Daemons and everyone gets a 6" bubble of -2 leadership vs Daemons.

However when you do the maths for these options while RR 1s for hitting and wound does slightly more damage to normal Daemons than the tide of 6s to wound generating mortals, it's quite easy to get RR 1s to hit from Draigo, GMDK or to wound from a Brother Captain in which case the mortal wounds are better.

So in reality GK doesn't really do anything particularly special against Daemons unless you take their daemon artefacts. They do get a Daemon killing secondary which is cool but you can only take 1 secondary from the codex and Cleansing Ritual is ace so even if the daemon one is an easy 15 points so is Cleansing Ritual. There's not even a strat that mentions the keyword "DAEMON" once.

That all being said, the army is full of stuff Daemons hate: massed shooting from stormbolters etc to deal with the small Daemons and big mortal wound output and access to big punchy guys to kill the greater daemons.

So Daemons will lose to Grey Knights quite easily but its not so much to do with specific rules that target the Daemon army anymore.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I completed a random guy this weekend using leftover bits and a pair of legs I 3d printed:

For some reason this wash was a bit more grey than the light greyish blue I usually get, so the Ulthuan Grey doesn't stand out as much, nor do the edge highlights, however I'm pretty happy because I think I achieved the psycho smiling face I was going for. I'm calling him "Blow poo poo Up Brad".

Does Goonhammer accept submissions for Goon Armies?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Professor Shark posted:

Does Goonhammer accept submissions for Goon Armies?

Possibly. Never hurts to ask either way.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/02/21/get-ready-to-be-frightened-of-wraithknights-again

Big stompy elf robot good? Signs to point to yes.

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
Is that a shoulder-mounted heavy bolter? I've never seen that before.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Sherbert Hoover posted:

Is that a shoulder-mounted heavy bolter? I've never seen that before.

It's an old school missile launcher, based on the ones from the original plastic marine set. TBH I like shoulder- mounted heavy weapons a lot more than the under-slung variants that they put out now.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

It's an old school missile launcher, based on the ones from the original plastic marine set. TBH I like shoulder- mounted heavy weapons a lot more than the under-slung variants that they put out now.

I’ve always done preferred shoulder mounted missile launchers, plasma and las cannon from the second edition metal range. The power armor had beefier legs and a wide stance. However the heavy bolter look doofy and much prefer that slug low.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Cooked Auto posted:

Possibly. Never hurts to ask either way.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/02/21/get-ready-to-be-frightened-of-wraithknights-again

Big stompy elf robot good? Signs to point to yes.

Even with a 4++ I think a 400 point unit that can be poo poo at by an entire 2,000 point army is always going to fall over. At least you won't feel like a total idiot if you use one though.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Chaos Kill Team to go with the Corsairs

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
guy on the bottom left is having the time of his immortal life

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

“You’re looking at me like I’ve got a horn growing out of my head.”

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Edit: I'm a little bummed that the counterpart to Corsairs is just CSM, it would have been cool if it was something similarly different like some sort of cultists, hereteks, red corsairs, etc. Although I have zero interest in chaos anyway so it wouldn't actually sway me. Hopefully these are useful for CSM players.

Crab Dad posted:

I’ve always done preferred shoulder mounted missile launchers, plasma and las cannon from the second edition metal range. The power armor had beefier legs and a wide stance. However the heavy bolter look doofy and much prefer that slug low.

Agreed, I think that the problem with the Heavy bolter is that it really looked like they just upscaled a bolt pistol until it fit on the guy's shoulder.

Ashcans fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Feb 21, 2022

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Winklebottom posted:

CAHM ON CHAOS
SCORE SOME FACKING GOALS

Also we can expect an upgraded CSM box by the time the codex drop since those guys also have an upgrade sprue like the Pathfinders had in the Calnath box.
Which is starting to look like the norm, at least so far. One entirely new side and one side with an upgrade sprue.
Makes me wonder if that was going to be the case with Cadians but they changed their mind during development.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Feb 21, 2022

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007
If the new pricing isn't awful, I might pick up that Nachmund set. It'd round out my terrain collection, and those Corsairs really do look cool as hell to paint, and I'd probably give them to my friend who has 1k points of Harlequins to push him a bit towards a 2k Eldar army. I don't have any pure Chaos Space Marines, either, so depending on the sprues, it might be a good hobby box.

I mean, when it boils down to it, I'm getting most of these KT boxes for "terrain + something hobbyist." If that Necromunda terrain box wasn't almost $300, I'd get it, but WOOF.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

"To the Eye of Terror.... AND BEYOND!" *Jumps off Andy's bed.*

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Can't wait for the talons and necron kill teams

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Winklebottom posted:

I'm going to buy that and paint them all in colours of different legions.

Leader will be Black Legion. Psyker dude and possessed dude will be word bearers. Axe dude will be a world eater. Dude wearing human skin obviously a night lord. Chaingunner will be an Iron Warrior. Normal dude with bolt gun has to be Alpha Legion for sure. That just leaves Death Guard, Thousand Sons and Emperor's Children. I'm sure I can snag a single plague marine from somewhere to be a boltgun dude, and then maybe the chainsword guy as an Emperor's Children? I'd like to get a Rubric Marine for the flamer but I don't think it makes sense as they are all basically dust puppets without a psyker.

Kitchner fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Feb 21, 2022

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I still have two of the Blackstone Fortress Marines to paint. I was going to do them as Night Lord, and I even got a NL transfer sheet for dirt cheap.
And then I discovered that the shoulder pads had Black Legion insignia on them. :dumb:

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I can't believe they reprinted the only Blackstone Fortess box that wasn't hard to get.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Kitchner posted:

I'm going to buy that and paint them all in colours of different legions.

Leader will be Black Legion. Psyker dude and possessed dude will be word bearers. Axe dude will be a world eater. Dude wearing human skin obviously a night lord. Chaingunner will be an Iron Warrior. Normal dude with bolt gun has to be Alpha Legion for sure. That just leaves Death Guard, Thousand Sons and Emperor's Children. I'm sure I can snag a single plague marine from somewhere to be a boltgun dude, and then maybe the chainsword guy as an Emperor's Children? I'd like to get a Rubric Marine for the flamer but I don't think it makes sense as they are all basically dust puppets without a psyker.

Rubric could be bound to the Word Bearer psyker. It's only one, he should be able to handle it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

notaspy posted:

Rubric could be bound to the Word Bearer psyker. It's only one, he should be able to handle it.

Got to get hold of a single rubric marine then, which is problematic. The death guard had that heroes thing so it shouldn't be too hard.