Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Yeah it is a weird bit of writing in the game... I think people slag on the anime's poor quality except for how that conflict is handled a lot better in it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
It is kind of sudden but Morgana has been poo poo talking Ryuji for most of the game so it is hardly that surprising.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Persona 5 Royale with Cheese, needs to add the option to send Mona to a shelter

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Hunt11 posted:

It is kind of sudden but Morgana has been poo poo talking Ryuji for most of the game so it is hardly that surprising.

I guess, maybe it would have been better if the last 15 hours hadn't been sensitive competent Morgana and he'd kept that up and maybe had an event which triggered it though.
It's a definite escalation to go from 'ay you ain't the smartest one here' to 'thank gently caress we don't have to rely on that useless poo poo cat'. The tone of the poo poo talking is very different.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

cubicle gangster posted:

I guess, maybe it would have been better if the last 15 hours hadn't been sensitive competent Morgana and he'd kept that up and maybe had an event which triggered it though.
It's a definite escalation to go from 'ay you ain't the smartest one here' to 'thank gently caress we don't have to rely on that useless poo poo cat'. The tone of the poo poo talking is very different.

I had the same feeling to be honest.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

cubicle gangster posted:

'thank gently caress we don't have to rely on that useless poo poo cat'.

This is Ryuji being incredibly correct, gently caress the cat.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Please do not gently caress the cat.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Listen you can either hang out with the cat or the bear. You have to have one

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Morgana was super annoying but the way they treated him there was a super weird tonal shift. Ryuji turned into a complete rear end in a top hat and it felt like it came out of left field. It does feel like a really unevenly written game. I wonder if there were different teams handling different aspects of it or if all that happened in the localization.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Morgana is a bit of a sad-sack around Ann but he is cool and good and my cat friend

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

DC Murderverse posted:

Morgana is a bit of a sad-sack around Ann but he is cool and good and my cat friend

It's been memed to death, but the constant "Go to bed you're tired" schtick gets old pretty fast. It lightens up later in the game but it's not a great look to start off with IMO.

edit: Strikers had a rough beginning with too much handholding too, but due to the faster paced and streamlined nature of the game it lets the training wheels off faster. But doing new game plus on that first dungeon is pretty dire.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Levantine posted:

It's been memed to death, but the constant "Go to bed you're tired" schtick gets old pretty fast. It lightens up later in the game but it's not a great look to start off with IMO.

edit: Strikers had a rough beginning with too much handholding too, but due to the faster paced and streamlined nature of the game it lets the training wheels off faster. But doing new game plus on that first dungeon is pretty dire.

It was never bad enough in Royal that I noticed, I imagine if I had started with regular P5 I might feel differently.

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Levantine posted:

Morgana was super annoying but the way they treated him there was a super weird tonal shift. Ryuji turned into a complete rear end in a top hat and it felt like it came out of left field. It does feel like a really unevenly written game. I wonder if there were different teams handling different aspects of it or if all that happened in the localization.

definately not localization, p5 just has a pretty crappy script. all the constant scenes of bad guys talking about their evil plans confirms that.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Royal apparently remove a lot of the insistence requiring you go to bed, I had the fortune of never having played vanilla and I assume it was a way less pleasant experience

I think it's quite obvious different people are assigned written duties and the editing could use more work. The first mission with ryuji and Ann had some great character work but they are all but relegated to "hot tempered dude" and "enthusiastic girl" once other characters like Makoto start taking more prominence. Haru has a very rushed arc and Makoto and futaba read like someone's ideal girlfriend.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

I would be concerned about someone who saw Futaba's character arc throughout Royal and concluded she was an ideal girlfriend.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

I did laugh my rear end off at Sojiros "please don't hook up with my incredibly depressed daughter". He's so resigned.

Nevermind hooking up with your teacher or a much older doctor hooking up with Futaba easily has to be the most hosed up option available that doesn't involve hooking up with everyone.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Not really

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Brandfarlig posted:

I did laugh my rear end off at Sojiros "please don't hook up with my incredibly depressed daughter". He's so resigned.

Nevermind hooking up with your teacher or a much older doctor hooking up with Futaba easily has to be the most hosed up option available that doesn't involve hooking up with everyone.

lol, this is going to start a fight, but I totally agree with you. the fact that you can date your shut in pseudo sister that you promised to help out of her shell is the most hosed up relationship in a game full of them.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Kasumi's right up there in terms of most screwed-up IMO.

Sumire's confidant events in the third semester make her come across as so codependent it became uncomfortable for me.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Mirello posted:

definately not localization, p5 just has a pretty crappy script. all the constant scenes of bad guys talking about their evil plans confirms that.

It kinda goes both ways, iirc despite the long development time the game was kind of constantly being rewritten real late in development and you just aren't going to get a good localization that way.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

anakha posted:

I would be concerned about someone who saw Futaba's character arc throughout Royal and concluded she was an ideal girlfriend.

I just really wanted Sojiro to be my dad.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I just really wanted Sojiro to be my dad.

Brojiro is the best character in the game. :colbert:

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

May the sacred flame guide me... Or something like that.
Regarding the Morgana/Ryuji stuff I agree it really does feel like Ryuji gets significantly meaner out of nowhere, but after rewatching the game a bit, honestly after multiple scenes of Morgana being vulnerable, and Ryuji then being the main one to support him and try to cheer him up, to just be met with Morgana brushing him off entirely and being an rear end it's really kind of understandable that Ryuji would think it's fine to just act like that when every prior attempt has just been Morgana being a dick for no reason. The Yusuke party scene especially sticks out as Ryuji being the only one to try and comfort Morgana while Morgana just basically gives him a "gently caress you I don't care" in return.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Cat talks poo poo, ryuji talks poo poo back. Cat mopes because he sucks. Maybe don't call someone an idiot for weeks if you don't want them blowing up at you eventually.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I support Ryuji 100%

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Speaking of Ryuji one of the parts where the writing definitely felt odd was after the Yacht Ryuji gets his arc completed when he finally ran against all his insecurities and managed to save all his friends, and everyone's crying because he sacrificed himself. Then they bathos the whole thing by having the girls beat his alive rear end up, dump him unconscious in the street and went off to eat ramen i guess

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's a joke

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Speaking of Ryuji one of the parts where the writing definitely felt odd was after the Yacht Ryuji gets his arc completed when he finally ran against all his insecurities and managed to save all his friends, and everyone's crying because he sacrificed himself. Then they bathos the whole thing by having the girls beat his alive rear end up, dump him unconscious in the street and went off to eat ramen i guess

stuff like this is why the story of the game overall does not hold a candle to 4 and 3 imo. while of course there's good moments, there's also constant weirdness and awkwardness among the team dragging it down.

also, I liked teddy much more than morgana. i mean, ideally there wouldn't be a mascot character, but I really didn't think teddy was that bad, as opposed to morgana who's just a dick with very little arc. he follows you around the whole game too, whereas teddy was just in small doses.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I blame the people that enjoy the terrible hot spring moments in the last game. Luckily P5 didn't have the women beat the poo poo out of their friends for no reason. :)

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Cross platform sequel to Soul Hackers has been announced, releasing Aug 22.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNprjTdTdQI

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Tired Moritz posted:

I blame the people that enjoy the terrible hot spring moments in the last game. Luckily P5 didn't have the women beat the poo poo out of their friends for no reason. :)

Unfortunately they did this in Strikers.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It's a lovely joke

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I’m just assuming we’ll get some kind of animal party member in Persona games from now on.

My hope would be a regular rear end bird that works as the navigator, but maybe they can put a fish in somehow.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Mirello posted:

stuff like this is why the story of the game overall does not hold a candle to 4 and 3 imo. while of course there's good moments, there's also constant weirdness and awkwardness among the team dragging it down.

Wait, you think that was less awkward than e.g. the hot springs scene in Persona 4. Or the running joke that was Mystery Food X that did literal poison damage and where the only punchline was "Girl can't cook???" with even Nanako getting in on the act.

quote:

also, I liked teddy much more than morgana. i mean, ideally there wouldn't be a mascot character, but I really didn't think teddy was that bad, as opposed to morgana who's just a dick with very little arc. he follows you around the whole game too, whereas teddy was just in small doses.

Meanwhile Morgana wasn't a creepy pest obsessed with "scoring" and didn't have obnoxiously squeaky shoes or make bad puns every other sentence. That said Morgana is notably less obnoxious in P5R compared to vanilla P5.

That said both Teddie and Morgana were victims of Atlus not being good at localising their games (Morgana's "Lady Ann" in particular isn't as jarring in the Japanese because all his speech is formal, polite, and archaic)

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

neonchameleon posted:

Wait, you think that was less awkward than e.g. the hot springs scene in Persona 4. Or the running joke that was Mystery Food X that did literal poison damage and where the only punchline was "Girl can't cook???" with even Nanako getting in on the act.

Meanwhile Morgana wasn't a creepy pest obsessed with "scoring" and didn't have obnoxiously squeaky shoes or make bad puns every other sentence. That said Morgana is notably less obnoxious in P5R compared to vanilla P5.

That said both Teddie and Morgana were victims of Atlus not being good at localising their games (Morgana's "Lady Ann" in particular isn't as jarring in the Japanese because all his speech is formal, polite, and archaic)

lol at saying morgana wasn't weirdly horny. teddie was like a child with no knowledge of human interaction imo.

and that stuff you said, I'll admit it. I liked it. it's cheesy, it's kitsch, it's cliche, but I thought it's funny. maybe because when i first played it 12 years ago I wasn't as familiar with japanese culture, but I thought all that stuff was really cool and funny. even the cultural festival which many say is "cringe" I enjoyed. I replayed it fairly recently when golden finally came out for PC, and I enjoyed it just as much. although i was nostalgia posioned, as P4 was my favorite game as a teenager so I doubt it was possible for me to dislike it. the only thing I didn't like was marie and all that crap, which I didn't think added much. otherwise I think p4 is pretty unimpeachable. dated, but much better overall story and party than 5 imo.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Teddie is worse than Morgana on average but he's also basically a child experience-wise. Morgana is someone who's ostensibly more mature and more accustomed to human society so him acting like a tool or a horndog is something you're less willing to forgive.

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

Teddie is basically a child but also is just unabashedly horrible and unbearable to sit through in any scene he's in, Morgana also sucks and actively poisons the plot and a few other characters but at least he isn't insufferable literally every time he shows up on screen and his incredibly creepy human form is at least seen in-game as well as incredibly wrong. I'll also say that Morgana's brand of horny is very much just being overly annoyingly polite to one person rather than being an insanely creepy sex pest to literally everyone which to me at least is so much less annoying to sit through.

They generally both suck though.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Morgana is a simp, which is bad, but Teddie is a horndog, which is worse.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Mirello posted:

lol at saying morgana wasn't weirdly horny. teddie was like a child with no knowledge of human interaction imo.

That maybe allows him to do it twice. But when the female characters are continually saying eww and telling him to cut it out for him to continue makes him a raving jerk.

quote:

and that stuff you said, I'll admit it. I liked it. it's cheesy, it's kitsch, it's cliche, but I thought it's funny. maybe because when i first played it 12 years ago I wasn't as familiar with japanese culture, but I thought all that stuff was really cool and funny. even the cultural festival which many say is "cringe" I enjoyed. I replayed it fairly recently when golden finally came out for PC, and I enjoyed it just as much. although i was nostalgia posioned, as P4 was my favorite game as a teenager so I doubt it was possible for me to dislike it. the only thing I didn't like was marie and all that crap, which I didn't think added much. otherwise I think p4 is pretty unimpeachable. dated, but much better overall story and party than 5 imo.

We're going to have to agree to disagree here. Fundamentally I find Persona 4 to be a creepy and queerbaity game in which the arc for every single character except Teddy is "be satisfied with your place in society" and in which there is a massive amount of truly obnoxious queerbaiting. The overall framing story is tedious with a ludicrous motivation, the combat is bad (although better than P3) and the only redeeming feature is many of the interactions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

neonchameleon posted:

We're going to have to agree to disagree here. Fundamentally I find Persona 4 to be a creepy and queerbaity game in which the arc for every single character except Teddy is "be satisfied with your place in society" and in which there is a massive amount of truly obnoxious queerbaiting. The overall framing story is tedious with a ludicrous motivation, the combat is bad (although better than P3) and the only redeeming feature is many of the interactions.

I very much agree with this take, P4 always rubbed me as bizarrely creepy and just kind of plain mean-spirited in so many aspects; like for example I know they're joke characters but Hanako and Kashiwagi both seem to purely exist to take the piss at fat people and older unmarried women since, of course, they're both the only ones like those in the game and the game never portrays them anywhere close to positively, which just rubs incredibly uncomfortable; coupled with haha women no can cook and other bullshit just about every single attempt at humour in the game just feels incredibly mean-spirited and off putting as well, completely ignoring the game's actual characters and stories.