Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

we've had a few times where we couldn't even play every other week, and honestly that has probably helped prevent burnout along with all the lovely updates that happened in-between. A lot of our lovely custom subs also are able to be run by 4-5 people so it really ain't so bad, could even link them for those interested as they're pretty balanced.

That said, I'd still put Barotrauma in the category of really only play it if you have a group of people you can play with on the regular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
kind of glad i didn't buy barotrauma then, 'cuz i thought you could play it singleplayer. thanks for mentioning it, everybody

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Foo Diddley posted:

kind of glad i didn't buy barotrauma then, 'cuz i thought you could play it singleplayer. thanks for mentioning it, everybody
You can, you just need a crew of bots. You can change direct control to any of your crew at any time in singleplayer, and give them commands, but they're not as responsive or helpful as players would be, and there's some areas where they're not really going to help at all, like any excursions outside the sub.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

is this the thread for project zomboid? because its a pretty cool game and im having fun playing it

pogi
Jun 11, 2014

It’s a pretty sick game, I’ve finally got a dude living past the first month in single player. Found a house out in the sticks that’s between the river and a lake. Fortified it but it seems like there’s really no need - haven’t seen a zombie in the area for the entire time I’ve been there. Started a little farm, spend my days fishing and trapping, got a generator set up… It’s gone from being an insanely stressful game to being strangely comfy.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

I’ve died a bunch so got that part of the game sorted… looking around my neighborhood and thinking there are a lot more cars than there are in game, so I’m going to try a sandbox where there’s way more cars and less zombies and the time is slow like real-time

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

I somehow managed to run myself over earlier, suffered catastrophic injuries all over and bled to death within seconds, about 10ft away from my front door. I have no idea how this could have even been possible considering that you can't actually exit a moving vehicle anymore but it scared the poo poo out of me.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

i am harry posted:

is this the thread for project zomboid? because its a pretty cool game and im having fun playing it

Yes

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

adjusting the speed of the game to real-time makes it so that cooking a chicken in the oven takes about 35min in the real world that's pretty funny.

any time i'm feeling a bit down i make a character named Bill O'Reilly and walk into a pack of zombies.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

i am harry posted:

any time i'm feeling a bit down i make a character named Bill O'Reilly and walk into a pack of zombies.
:lmao:

This inspired me to create a new world with 'Insane' population of sprinters.

:dumbbravo:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Even fast sprinters are not match for their mortal enemy, the low fence.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Go on a three-hour trip around the map in PZ with three buddies, killing a few hundred zombies each and not taking a single injury in return. The feeling of success!

Then I get home, miss ONE swing with a crowbar against ONE zombie slapping at my gate, and I'm left in this condition:

Jesus loving Christ.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

I somehow managed to run myself over earlier, suffered catastrophic injuries all over and bled to death within seconds, about 10ft away from my front door. I have no idea how this could have even been possible considering that you can't actually exit a moving vehicle anymore but it scared the poo poo out of me.
This was a fun moment of "what thread am I in"

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

i joined the server in riverside, found the school library and trained everything i could up to expert.

then i walked outside and took a swing at a zombie, missed, got bit on the balls, and pulled down by a couple others.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

It's a perfectly reasonable place for a zombie to bite somebody :colbert:

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Weird crossover with the roman/ancient history thread where the other day it was revealed that Roman soldiers primarily used swords to get in close and go for groin/inner thigh wounds

physeter posted:

There's nothing glamorous about it. The shield is there to absorb big calorie-burning hits for as long as it takes the other guy to get tired, at which point the legionary will go for his crotch, belly or inner thighs with a quick thrusting sword that doesn't take many calories to use at all. If he hits, likely a mortal wound. If he misses he can try again, and if not there's another dude behind him with the exact same kit ready to try the exact same thing. They aren't even doing anything particularly difficult, right? I mean it's not like they're doing a triple lindy here. (A) Use shield until other guy is tired, (b) stab tired guy in his dick, (c) use shield and wait, (d) repeat. This is not performative war, they are butchers looking to drain some pigs. The evolution of the flared tip Mainz-style gladius indicates even further enthusiasm for the piggy-draining business, because it delivers more soft tissue damage on either a thrust to the belly, or a quick slice across the femoral aorta. It's a horrifyingly efficient way to fight.

stringless fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Feb 21, 2022

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Some info on the upcoming releases of Zomboid, including big crafting expansion in the next rev:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ar9EFqSWhVc

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Been playing Icarus. My first opinion on it was "this is a game that is deliberately wasting your time."

I still think that's true for the most part (like basically all survival sims), but once you start leveling up and throwing in talent points and unlocking blueprints, it's actually pretty good? They finally added a "sort" button at some point, though it's not very good at it and only works on your main inventory screen lol.

So far the other environment types after "generic survival sim forest" are pretty great too: I've hit desert and glacier/arctic and they definitely change up how you play it.

jesus i'm nearing 40 hours in it

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Flesh Forge posted:

Some info on the upcoming releases of Zomboid, including big crafting expansion in the next rev:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ar9EFqSWhVc

Sounds like a pretty large update. I’m in for it.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Totally down for more stuff that doesn’t involve having to do smash and grabs for resources. I could see where people may have an issue with crafting tables and balancing features for MP, but I’m here for it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Also really good to hear they've added on more people due to the game gaining in popularity.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Warbird posted:

Totally down for more stuff that doesn’t involve having to do smash and grabs for resources. I could see where people may have an issue with crafting tables and balancing features for MP, but I’m here for it.
I do hope they keep things manageable for solo, the commentary put a lot of emphasis on how you'd need other people for other roles but I'm keeping my fingers crossed there are at least options for single players.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
it feels like they want NPCs to potentially fill those roles, but the NPCs are coming the patch after the crafting overhaul so we'll have to see how things develop - it may not be great for single players, at least initially.

Then again, kind of like the long dark, single player once you stabilize there isn't much else to the game - the "meat" of it is in the first few weeks and by time you're two seasons in you've seen all the game has to offer.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Feb 22, 2022

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Are there any good sound mods for project zomboid to change the tv audio? Tired of hearing about Bill Clinton’s global initiative to tackle some of the world’s worst problems such as disease poverty and climate change. :sigh:

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I recently started playing vintage story and drifter packs are getting pretty frustrating. One or two drifters makes for an exciting challenge. But when there’s six plus of them, they just rock throw me to death. I’m not sure how I’m supposed to deal with that.

Some nights are fine and I can be out doing stuff in my garden or chopping trees all night without seeing even one monster. Other nights I get swarmed by huge numbers of drifters. Is there a way to predict which it is going to be?

LLSix fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Feb 26, 2022

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

"rift activity" in the little weather report panel is the drifter spawn cap for the day. If it's at calm, good day to go spelunking. At high, maybe just stay inside that night

If you're in a contained area with no open doorways (like your garden should be, for rabbits if nothing else) or on the move any number of surface drifters aren't much of a problem even at night except during temporal storms, which are loving stupid just turn them off

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Feb 26, 2022

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
The rifts themselves are a huge factor. They move around intermittently, so some nights your home base area will be mostly clear and some night there will be a rift sitting on your roof dumping drifters at all hours.
I just turned off the ability for them to throw rocks via a mod, because it didn't even work correctly. They'd throw rocks even when i was in melee range, and worst of all the animation for throwing a rock and the actual throwing of that rock never lined up, so it was impossible to tell when the projectile was actually coming and when I should dodge.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

If you dodge well and have the drifters hit each other with a rock, they attack each other.

Rifts won’t form close to light, and drifters won’t spawn in high light. As you light your base up you make it more protected against rifts. I think drifters can spawn 25 blocks from a rift, so you’ll eventually need to put lanterns outside your wall to make sure they never get close, but lanterns along a wall encircling your main building and farm (bees/reeds/crops/berries/fruit trees) is generally enough to work in peace. Just make sure they can’t get line of sight on you.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
It'd be a lot easier if torches didn't go out over time and in rain. Especially when trying to light up places like your roof.
But also, just like Minecraft (pre-spawning changes, anyway) you're trying to cover a broad swath of terrain with light, which takes a while even without factoring in re-lighting torches, and you're inevitably going to miss a spot here or there. Hell, I've had drifters spawn inside my well lit house, literally right on top of me, in what I can only assume was a bug. So you can't even expect the system to work properly all the time.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

wait when did they add actual localized rifts?

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Feb 26, 2022

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

wait when did they add actual localized rifts?

It's a neat change.

You can use oil lamps or lanterns to light huge areas, so you're generally not making a big base solely on torches alone unless you're going the torch holder route until you get to lanterns.

I personally have not experienced a well lit room letting a drifter pop onto me unless it was a temporal storm, because then nothing matters.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
Yeah temp storms are annoying, they could be fun if combat wasn't the least interesting part of the game (I guess hunting can be fun, but drifters suck). Just turn them off. Other than that just try to keep well-lit, but if you prefer to roam rather than to dedicate to base-building that can be a problem. I was active on a multiplayer server and after taking some time to light up my base (first with oil lamps, then with lanterns once I started getting enough materials) I rarely had to worry about drifters ever again, but then again I was more of a homebody and got most of my materials through trading with other players, so ymmv. This was before the last big update though, so I'll have to see if that style of play still equals easy living.

Anyway here's a mural I crafted next to my trading hub :3:

(this uses the Bricklayers mod that adds recipes for hardened clay in different colors, and since the new blocks are chiselable, they're great for all sorts of decorative designs)

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
How is vintage story multiplayer?

Are there any decent servers to chill and build in? I did a few searches on their forums and it seems like the severs and games are modded to be quite different. Was wondering if there were any vanillaesque servers with goons or chill people not taking things too seriously.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
So the trading hub is mostly made of hardened clay from Bricklayers? Very clean construction.
Beautiful mural, too.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

buglord posted:

How is vintage story multiplayer?

Are there any decent servers to chill and build in? I did a few searches on their forums and it seems like the severs and games are modded to be quite different. Was wondering if there were any vanillaesque servers with goons or chill people not taking things too seriously.

Try the Aura Fury VS server, I think it's the most active at the moment. Everyone's pretty chill and you can use the discord to arrange trades for whatever you need, or even team up if you have a big building project in mind. If you search youtube for it you'll find a player doing video tours of the player bases, some of which are pretty impressive. It only uses a handful of mods and I think the mod downloads are instant now (you had to do it manually before the last big update, I think). The main problem with VS multi is that the warp/teleport system is kind of a hassle, at least in the AF server it's standard practice to lay roads networks that link to major teleporter hubs, but depending on which area you choose for your base it could be a 10 minute trip towards the nearest active player. I can't remember if one of the mods or one of the latest vanilla updates added an auctionhouse system for remote trading, though, which saves a lot of time.

Vib Rib posted:

So the trading hub is mostly made of hardened clay from Bricklayers? Very clean construction.
Beautiful mural, too.

Thanks! The building itself is mostly made from vanilla hardened clay and plaster, though most of the stuff I sell are chiseled decorations, most of which use the modded clay blocks. Here's some paintings:

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

feels like MP would negate a large part of the charm of the game, like on your own you're a civilization unto yourself exploring the world and doing a little of everything so it doesn't matter that there's nothing all that much beyond basic subsistence yet, and in a group you're the e-serf spending your free time cranking out industrial quantities of leather so the guys who are more optimized fighters can raid the kinda lovely placeholder ruins in the deeps for wallpaper

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
It does take a bit from the sense of untouched wild that you find in single-player, but that kind of labor specialization in multiplayer only really happens if you join a player town or are sharing a base with friends (which can be fun too). Can't speak for all servers but in Aura Fury the large majority of players just plop down their personal bases and do their own thing, only connecting via road and/or teleporter if they need to trade or want to show off their builds. I think the general rule is to settle at least ~500-1000 blocks away from the nearest base so everyone can be more-or-less self-sufficient resource-wise if they want to. Since you're bound to find a few broken teleporters in your area that also gives you access to more untouched land.

Another problem with multiplayer is food spoilage, though. In MP time keeps moving when you're offline, so even though most servers modify the food spoiling rate, if you spend like a month or two without playing (like I have :v:) next time you log in all your food will be mush. Most players solve this by keeping large fields of unharvested crops, though.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Thanks for the info on MP. Basically with all survivalcraft games I play them alone on MP servers, but like being able to talk to people and do the occasional trade. Playing it entirely SP is too lonely for me.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I have to imagine most servers dramatically bump up ore frequency, because finding tin and a few others is hard enough solo, I can't imagine having to share those resources with an even medium sized playerbase. Then again I guess once anyone finds one they could share the location and then everyone will know where to go. Just not sure I'd trust others to dole out the resources only as needed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

FFT posted:

Been playing Icarus. My first opinion on it was "this is a game that is deliberately wasting your time."

I still think that's true for the most part (like basically all survival sims), but once you start leveling up and throwing in talent points and unlocking blueprints, it's actually pretty good? They finally added a "sort" button at some point, though it's not very good at it and only works on your main inventory screen lol.

So far the other environment types after "generic survival sim forest" are pretty great too: I've hit desert and glacier/arctic and they definitely change up how you play it.

jesus i'm nearing 40 hours in it

I've got something like 200 hours in it, I played it a lot with my GF at release.

I love how it looks and feels, it's got a lot of potential IMO, it's fun, but just a little bland and shallow at the moment. It feels like early access without being called that and the weekly updates are taking steps in the right direction each week. I am taking a break though as I want to see more content and less repeating of the same thing over and over.

If they want to do Instance based stuff the progression per level should be faster/higher tier being cheaper etc, specifically the deep drills they just added are great but so slow it's pointless to use them. It takes like an hour for 60 ore which is nothing.

I think what I would rather see though, is persistence, your base stays on the map but it's damaged because of the storms and you being off world, maybe most of the benches etc destroyed.

Just so I don't have to keep building an awesome base because I really enjoy the base building side of the game