Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Dawgstar posted:

That had to be one of the weirdest and most abrupt changeovers of a comic's subject matter I've ever seen. Reformed villains working as heroes? Nah, check this out.

Well the original pitch was unreformed villains masquerading as heroes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Skwirl posted:

Well the original pitch was unreformed villains masquerading as heroes.

Which is why suddenly making it superpowered fight club seemingly out of nowhere was so weird.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Gaz-L posted:

It's just taking the original tagline: Justice, like lightning -which is a literary quote, if I remember Busiek's use of it in the original run- and adding the redemption part because this seems like it's the first time since maybe the weird Fight Club run where the Thunderbolts are being set up as unambiguous good guys who want to be heroes.

There's a funny story to this. In his run, Busiek has Zemo attribute the quote "Justice, like lightning, ever should appear/ To few men ruin, but to all men fear" to the 17th century poet Thomas Randolph, a notoriously witty disciple of Ben Jonson who died at 29 and left behind a number of stage comedies and a bunch of poems, none of which actually feature the line that Zemo recites.

Busiek himself became aware of this and spilled the beans-- he'd actually lifted the epigraph from an old Roy Thomas issue of Captain Marvel, in which Thomas, one of the great comics autodidacts but never especially fussy about where he got his factoids and quotations, attributes the lines to Randolph.

The lines themselves appear, in an altered form, in an anonymous play printed in 1620, Swetnam the Woman-Hater, Arraigned by Women, a scathing and fairly funny proto-feminist comedy excoriating the misogynist tract, The Arraignment of Women, published in 1615 by the famous fencing instructor Joseph Swetnam. In the play, a fictionalized Swetnam is repeatedly owned by a gallery of understandably upset women-- art imitating life, as his (enormously popular) tract received printed rebuttals by a number of outraged and witty female authors, including the great poet and pamphleteer Rachel Speght and the pseudonymous Esther Sowerman and Constantia Munda. Anyway, the lines appear in the play like this:

quote:

Iustice (like Lightning) euer should appeare

To few men’s ruine, but to all men’s feare.

Where does the attribution to Randolph come from? Randolph was a prolific writer from a young age and we have poems of his dating back to 1621, but in 1620 he was fifteen years old, and it's very likely that the play was being performed as early as 1618 or 1619-- and Swetnam the Woman-Hater is both stylistically much more mature than (imo) Randolph's juvenalia and also very different from his first KNOWN performed play, Aristippus, or; the Jovial Philosopher in 1626. To compound this, the play was first performed (probably) at a VERY down and dirty venue called the Red Bull-- so if Randolph was really staging plays at that place at the age of 13 somebody should really go back in time and give his parents a firm talking to.

Fortunately here someone else has done the work for me: Randolph is suggested as one possible author of the anonymous play in an 1858 study, The Literature and Literary Men of Great Britain and Ireland, Volume One, which had a section on him. I do not think Randolph is a strong candidate for authorship of the play! And to be fair early modern drama wound up not being my specialization, but I did flirt with the idea for a pretty long time in grad school and it's a milieu I'm pretty solid on. The most popular candidate for the play's author is Thomas Heywood, but me-- my suspicion is that it is by Thomas Dekker.

The above blog also mentions that ANOTHER variation of the lines have been attributed to the 14th century clergyman and author Milo Sweetman, Archbishop of Armagh. My hunch is that this attribution, which also seems to crop up solely in iffy studies from the 19th and early 20th centuries, are just confusing the play CALLED Swetnam with the much earlier guy NAMED Sweetman (the Sweetman/Swetman pun would have been on the nose in the 17th century-- hence one of his anonymous critics adopting the pen-name "Sowerman" (Sour man)).

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1494007079169835012

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yoooooooooo JLA/Avengers is being reprinted with proceeds going to Hero Initiative

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
how about they just start paying their employees above poverty wages and provide benefits instead

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

site posted:

how about they just start paying their employees above poverty wages and provide benefits instead

just lol if you think Disney or WarnerMedia is some kind of large conglomeration benefitting disproportionately from the works of many underpaid creators

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Awesome, these were like the first comics I ever bought. They're great fun, even if they feel crazily dated to me now. That might just be Busiek being Busiek though.

site posted:

I mean, yes. Yes, this. Much more this than a bizarre springboarding off of Perez's cancer diagnosis to make some money and score some positive PR.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

So what's going on with Iron Fist right now? I gather Sword Master is the new one, but what happened to Pei? I'd figure if you wanted to make a new Iron Fist, she's right there.

Also apparently Okoye was Iron Fist for like five minutes?

Is the new run any good? I've heard some complaints, but I don't know if they were in good faith or not.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Yvonmukluk posted:

So what's going on with Iron Fist right now? I gather Sword Master is the new one, but what happened to Pei? I'd figure if you wanted to make a new Iron Fist, she's right there.

Also apparently Okoye was Iron Fist for like five minutes?

There was a five-issue miniseries (last year? time has no meaning), Heart of the Dragon, written by Larry Hama.

In it, for reasons, Danny gave the power of the Iron Fist to Okoye, who was then forced to sacrifice it to save the world, for reasons. That left Shou-Lai reincarnated into a dragon egg that has yet to hatch, while Danny was left powerless but, y'know, still a white billionaire kung fu expert.

Pei is still on the clock and is mentioned in the new #1, but is also still like 10 years old.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Between having the sword fragments embedded in his hands giving him most of his power and having a quest with a clear obvious end goal that would have him going back to being Sword Master everything about this new Iron Fist set-up screams "this is extremely temporary"

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The art was pretty mediocre as well.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I like Sword Master so I was kinda into it.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Oh god dammit, after I made that post about Iron Fist Youtube recommended me a video from a channel called something like 'Comics With Ya Boi Zack' that had the word 'Segrasianist' in the title. Needless to say I just blocked the channel sight unseen.

I know the algorithm is lovely, but Jesus. This is why I came to goons for opinions on it.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Yvonmukluk posted:

Oh god dammit, after I made that post about Iron Fist Youtube recommended me a video from a channel called something like 'Comics With Ya Boi Zack' that had the word 'Segrasianist' in the title. Needless to say I just blocked the channel sight unseen.

Why that's the ComicsGate OG Dickie Meyers himself! You dodged a bullet.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

I’m beginning to suspect all of the fellows who call themselves my boy are not good people

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

The art was pretty mediocre as well.

Bad art in a kung-fu book is pretty terrible. I didn't particularly like where the story went when Kaare Andrews was doing Iron-Fist, but it had amazing art, like there's a bit early on with Danny Rand running down the side of a sky scraper fighting ninjas, and it's just amazingly insane.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Yvonmukluk posted:

I know the algorithm is lovely, but Jesus. This is why I came to goons for opinions on it.

Yeah, "Ya boi Zack" is a comicsgater. Didn't realize he spelled it "boi" since I think that's usually used by trans men?

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

I think I would've preferred more Sword Master over this new take on Iron Fist.

(Mostly because the art on Sword Master was better)

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

On my Marvel comics read through I'm quickly approaching the Operation: Galactic Storm crossover. What are peoples opinions of this event?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, "Ya boi Zack" is a comicsgater. Didn't realize he spelled it "boi" since I think that's usually used by trans men?

Apparently 4chan started calling him that and Dickie and the others ran with it, not realizing the implications.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

JordanKai posted:

I think I would've preferred more Sword Master over this new take on Iron Fist.

(Mostly because the art on Sword Master was better)

Same here. Danny Rand is cool in this new series, but I definitely hope by the end Sword Master gets his sword back and stays a unique character.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Skwirl posted:

And Avril Lavigne.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

bessantj posted:

On my Marvel comics read through I'm quickly approaching the Operation: Galactic Storm crossover. What are peoples opinions of this event?

Len Kaminski is an underrated Iron Man writer and he had a lot to do with OGS. Most of it struck me as filler until the ending, though.

It also doesn't help that there's a vein of DeFalco's Thor shot through it, and the older I get the less patience I have for DeFalco in general.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Wanderer posted:

Len Kaminski is an underrated Iron Man writer and he had a lot to do with OGS. Most of it struck me as filler until the ending, though.

It also doesn't help that there's a vein of DeFalco's Thor shot through it, and the older I get the less patience I have for DeFalco in general.

I don't remember all the specific stories & issues but back when I did my epic volume 1 Iron Man read-through on MU I do remember enjoying Kaminski's stuff.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Wanderer posted:

I can't help but love Defalco's Thor, it gave us Thunderstrike!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rhyno posted:

I can't help but love Defalco's Thor, it gave us Thunderstrike!

Yeah, and I have a fondness for that subplot with the Wrecking Crew than ran for a while.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Wanderer posted:

So something to steel myself against, bit like Acts of Vengeance.

I just read Spider-Man #18 and Peter is shocked, shocked that Mary Jane would be comfortable doing a nude scene in a movie. Has he never met her before? I wouldn't have been surprised if she'd done some nude modelling for an artist in the past.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
I just finished Death of Dr. Strange and I'm very disappointed in the lack of Bats in the climax.

Do better Vulpes!

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

bessantj posted:

I thought it was a decent crossover but I read most of it when I was a teen. I read the ending several times and it's always one of these things that it makes sense no one talks about it much.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Can a Marvel enthusiast point me to a good jumping on point to get back into the current universe?

I'm assuming for the X peeps that Bendis' Age of X is the obvious, but recommendations for other titles would be very helpful. I've been out of the loop since Secret Wars...

On the flip side, if I should wait until the next big event shake up to relaunch titles, I can do that too.

Any advice would be appreciated!

E: My mistake, I meant Hickman, the Age/Powers launch

BetterToRuleInHell fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Feb 21, 2022

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I never read Bendis' X-Men stuff, and jumped back on to X-Men stuff right after they just did their House/Powers of X stuff recently. New status quo, and doesn't seem to be ending any time soon.
https://www.howtoread.me/x-men-jonathan-hickman-reading-order/
This guide seems to be the order they came out in, and seems up to date up until a few weeks ago.

There's been only like two or three titles to skip in the entire X-Men run so far, so it's been pretty great. (Fallen Angels, Children of the Atom, and X-Corp are the ones to skip.)

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Can a Marvel enthusiast point me to a good jumping on point to get back into the current universe?

I'm assuming for the X peeps that Bendis' Age of X is the obvious, but recommendations for other titles would be very helpful. I've been out of the loop since Secret Wars...

On the flip side, if I should wait until the next big event shake up to relaunch titles, I can do that too.

Any advice would be appreciated!

IUG posted:

I never read Bendis' X-Men stuff, and jumped back on to X-Men stuff right after they just did their House/Powers of X stuff recently. New status quo, and doesn't seem to be ending any time soon.
This guide seems to be the order they came out in, and seems up to date up until a few weeks ago.

There's been only like two or three titles to skip in the entire X-Men run so far, so it's been pretty great. (Fallen Angels, Children of the Atom, and X-Corp are the ones to skip.)

Was just about to recommend this. The start of Hickman's run is a great jumping on point for the X-Men. Read the initial miniseries, then follow whatever titles catch your interest, with the possible exception of the ones mentioned above. Most are fairly self contained, though the X of Swords event does require reading across the line to follow.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

X of Swords might seem to come out of nowhere if you don’t read Excalibur, but I think it does a good enough job of catching you up on the important parts of you haven’t.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
What do people think about the new Marauders writing/drawing team?

I loved the Duggan run, can the new people keep it up?

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

The X-man cometh posted:

What do people think about the new Marauders writing/drawing team?

I loved the Duggan run, can the new people keep it up?

I've read comics from Steve Orlando that I really enjoyed. That said, the annual didn't hit the spot for me. Hoping the ongoing comic will be better.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

IUG posted:

There's some weird stuff in here like putting X-Men #6 immediately after X-Men #1 which I guess is because it has a lot of flashbacks? I'm generally not a fan of trying to enforce a chronological reading order on a series though.

Once you're through the back and forth of HoX/PoX each issue has a timeline in the back indicating which issue you should go to next (again this is generally in publication order) and outside of crossover events that are clearly signposted the precise order's generally not a big deal.

And I can second skipping Fallen Angels, CotA and X-Corp.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I think new readers should give every title at least one issue to see how they like it because a number of the books are pretty divisive. I think most people agree that Fallen Angels is.... not very successful at doing what it seems to be trying to do, but, for example, a lot of readers disliked Children of the Atom and found it meandering while others (like me) liked that it was doing something quite different, whereas if sales are any indication a LOT of people like Ben Percy's stuff but I mostly find it execrably stupid and boring with great art. In my experience Excalibur, New Mutants and X-Corp really do not have a solid consensus among fans-- the Ayala/Reis NM is pretty popular but the chunks of the fan-base that hate it REALLY hate it.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
I generally agree, but there are so loving many X titles coming out most people don't have the time and money to sample every one in addition to whatever other books they're already reading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I'll second Children of the Atom. It is not a perfect series but overall I enjoyed it despite the flaws. It's so not a typical super hero book that I almost think it's good to include in a read list just as a pallet cleanser.