Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Jabor posted:

Why are you running around with the boss offscreen so you can't see what they're up to?

For the necromancer, it often time that the red forces me out to, and as a bard, I also need to be next to my teammates in order to supply shields and other buffs, and they are sometimes away from the boss. Other times, the boss moves offscreen and then decided to lunge onto me from offscreen: this most often applies to Guardian than the necromancer dungeon.

Kill All Cops posted:

Yeah, it's pretty unforgiving as a non tanky character and lot of random bullshit can happen. It's not at a ragequitting point to me yet, reached 420 ilvl avg without failing a honing yet so I hope to get to the 460 content and maybe peak out there for a while

I was running around with a gunlancer in the necromancer dungeon, and when my paladin was at 340, 380, and 420, my Paladin has similar margin of errors. Tankiness is only really in the ilvl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I wish people would stop getting hit by the massive incredibly slow energy balls in the turtle guardian fight.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The secret is that 90% of the time, being right next to the boss is the safest place. You can see what the boss is up to (which isn't just the red telegraphs on the floor - the boss animations usually have tells for their other attacks, even if it's just stuff like turning to face you). Being closer to the boss also helps everyone else predict what they'll do, instead of having them suddenly jump half the arena because there's someone loving about over there. If you must spend a lot of time hanging out far away from the boss, moving parallel to the boss instead of standing still will usually have you dodge their long-range attacks, which are aimed at the point you were standing when the attack begun.

As far as I'm aware Madness berserker is about as tanky as the squishier classes you've mentioned, and I haven't had any issues in on-level content just by staying at close range and knowing where they do most of their attacks (usually to their front, but a couple of bosses mix it up a bit).

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
Playing melee classes really helped me with surviving as a sorceress too, sure you have a lot of ranged attacks you can drop if the boss moves and stuff, but you want to hug the bosses rear end most of the time if possible. The attack patterns are made for melee to dodge out of, and you can get out of cone attacks with just one dodge if you're up close instead of frantically trying to run out of the wide end of the cone when staying at range. Just make your first priority to avoid getting hit, and use your abilities and burst when the boss is recovering from whiffing their attack. You do no damage when you're dead.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Jabor posted:

The secret is that 90% of the time, being right next to the boss is the safest place. You can see what the boss is up to (which isn't just the red telegraphs on the floor - the boss animations usually have tells for their other attacks, even if it's just stuff like turning to face you). Being closer to the boss also helps everyone else predict what they'll do, instead of having them suddenly jump half the arena because there's someone loving about over there. If you must spend a lot of time hanging out far away from the boss, moving parallel to the boss instead of standing still will usually have you dodge their long-range attacks, which are aimed at the point you were standing when the attack begun.

As far as I'm aware Madness berserker is about as tanky as the squishier classes you've mentioned, and I haven't had any issues in on-level content just by staying at close range and knowing where they do most of their attacks (usually to their front, but a couple of bosses mix it up a bit).

The fact that you have an actual build makes me think you are playing a different content from me.

The bosses I have mentioned have various mechanics that make them offscreen i.e. Garum and Sigmund have orbs that all party members have to pick up and Vertus has a dive that encourages you to move away from each other so that everyone else is not caught up with the dive. This is also in public matchmaking where players may not necessarily move in the way that you want. In my experience, a significant amount of my alt clears have been carried by that one ranged DPS party member who has high enough ilvl to just tank the boss and/or can just stay away from boss's various quick attacks, so they can solo the boss after the rest of the party dies including me. (I once witnessed a sorc just no-hit Lumerus while the rest of us died.)

junan_paalla posted:

Playing melee classes really helped me with surviving as a sorceress too, sure you have a lot of ranged attacks you can drop if the boss moves and stuff, but you want to hug the bosses rear end most of the time if possible. The attack patterns are made for melee to dodge out of, and you can get out of cone attacks with just one dodge if you're up close instead of frantically trying to run out of the wide end of the cone when staying at range. Just make your first priority to avoid getting hit, and use your abilities and burst when the boss is recovering from whiffing their attack. You do no damage when you're dead.

I tried staying close, but usually what ends up happening is I expend a dash and then the boss follows up with another attack while my dash is on cooldown.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
IF I REPORT SOMETHING, BAN ME.
I've just been grinding out the fights until i'm good enough at them to beat them. It really isn't a luck thing.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
By "Madness Berserker" I mean "I spent my first 20 green class books on the Madness engraving, and have been running L1 Madness plus whatever else I can scratch together from accessories ever since". I'm still in the T1 grind right now, public matchmaking the whole time. That sorc no-hitting the boss is what you should be doing. Everyone should be able to dodge attacks well enough to not get hit while still landing attacks for a few minutes.

If you dash out of a big attack, your dash will be usually be recharged by the time the boss finishes winding down and is actually threatening you with another big attack. For the times where it's not quick enough, well, that's why you're equipping a mobility skill, right?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
My biggest issue right now is when the boss lines up an attack on me I often just run out of the way before my brain registers that they're glowing blue and I should be lining up a counter instead.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Scoss posted:

Actually standard kmmo would be more like the item goes *down* in level when you fail an upgrade, or maybe it just is destroyed outright (unless you use the cash shop item protection insurance).

This is relatively merciful as far as korean stuff goes. In my mind it's not that different from doing a WoW raid and welp you didn't get your drop from the boss you needed, except you probably don't have to wait a week to try again in LA.

The big difference from wow is that wow doesn't gate its content quite as hard behind upgrades.

I think there are several great things about this game. It is probably the prettiest game I have ever played. It also has an extremely satisfying combat mechanic.There are some issues with difficulty scaling (2nd abyssal dungeon is far ahead more difficult anything you saw up to that point), but the content itself is great. Great variety too.

But the main issue is how hard it gates things behind gear, together with the upgrade mechanic. The number one reason Ive heard from anyone who quit the game is that they fell a little bit behind their friends in gear and suddenly couldn't do stuff with them anymore. This game is pretty unforgiving as far as allowing people to play together. Your buddy got a bit luckier and reached 600, while a bunch of your upgrades failed and you have to try again? They will be deep into yorn while you're regrinding the stuff to try again.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
Yeah the hard ilvl gates are pretty rough, I could've totally done the ilvl 600 required yorn content at ilvl 560 no problem and the only thing stopping me was the game telling me I'm not allowed to until all my gear is +15. And that wouldn't be so painful either if there wasn't the pain of honing RNG telling you "nope, try again tomorrow" because you didn't win the coinflip. But in the end honing RNG isn't much different from boss drop RNG, except for the possibility of impulse buying honing mats from the store for one more roll.

junan_paalla fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Feb 21, 2022

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
people are insanely bad at this game that’s for sure.

I suspect that a lot of players don’t understand how to build their character (to be fair it’s pretty obtuse), and a disturbing amount of people don’t get that you can use potions even.

There is no damage meter, which is good for making everyone feel good I guess but the players doing the worst have no super clear way of knowing how bad they are, especially if they prioritize staying alive to the point where they don’t die, but do no damage either. That makes little incentive to improve; they just queue again and hope they get carried.

The game kind of implies that you should do activities when you meet the minimum level, but especially if you know you’re not great at the game you should really be queuing for things lower than your level and I wish the game would push that concept more.

Grouping is almost required for a consistently good experience but the way you’re constantly doing new content, combined with super small guild sizes, makes it pretty hard to actually do stuff in guild. This also leads to guilds feeling more like light social clubs instead of a group playing together.

That being said I actually think this game is going to have a huge falloff as people hit later tier 1 for a number of reasons that are beyond the scope of this post. So, groups will probably get better (possibly much better) over time, and presumably guild stuff becomes more common as people get into later progression tiers.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I wish I could try the group content of this game but the matchmaking is still broken.

Granted I'm still doing the main quest trying to get some better gear that way, just reached Vern castle. Just got the various guide quests for Guardian raids, Chaos dungeon etc. which I think you can do at 250 IL too to start it out (or could if they game let you. Hope they fix this poo poo soon)

Also kudos on that ship skin tip. I did spend some of my freely earned crystals for renewing the aura since I liked the multiple fast travel points and stuff. Have to check if I have enough gold to convert (likely not)

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Infinity Gaia posted:

There's two giant hearts and a few emotes that require you to trade in uhh Gienna coins? The first ones.

Yep, upwards of 3k apiece for the hearts. Worth it though since each one gives a reward down at Wisdom Isle.

e: It's also worth grabbing any emotes you come across since some quests and rapports will ask for weird ones that aren't unlocked at the start of the game.

super sweet best pal fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Feb 21, 2022

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015

Flair posted:

I tried staying close, but usually what ends up happening is I expend a dash and then the boss follows up with another attack while my dash is on cooldown.

I have cleared the first 3 abyss dungeon stages and every guardian through the scorpion, and I can't think of any boss attack pattern that needs a dash evade and then is immediately unfairly followed up with another attack that needs to be evaded. You probably just need to be a little more judicious with your evades and learn which moves need evades vs. which can just be walked away from.

Most guardians have about 3 or so big attacks that you want to have your evade open for, and if you waste it on things you could have just walked away from(or heaven forbid waste it to go *in*), you are in big danger of being punished. Even then, you usually need to screw up multiple times to actually get killed. I personally also run a skill purely for mobility on my Q to provide extra options.

As for the Abyss, honestly I have found that the bosses themselves are almost an afterthought once you're able to handle the gimmick (early in T1 anyway). I've done the first two stages on a 360 paladin with random matchmaking and it was a breeze once I found people who actually did the mechanics, I don't think you need an inflated ilvl and especially as a support I think your gear matters even less.

Jabor posted:

My biggest issue right now is when the boss lines up an attack on me I often just run out of the way before my brain registers that they're glowing blue and I should be lining up a counter instead.

I have the opposite problem where I am so thirsty to land counters that I am recklessly chasing the boss's head around goading him into attacking me, and then he does (with a non-counterable move).

Scoss fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Feb 21, 2022

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I was wondering what blue aoes meant, though not enough to look it up. I'll remember to save Napalm Shot for those.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Your first priority for rapport crap is probably Calvasus, Ninaveh, Sasha and Beatrice.
All four of these npcs gift you one of the game's 15 Giant's Heart collectibles at certain rapport levels. You will eventually want to collect at least 6 and even more eventually 12, since you get skill point rewards.

Extremely important note on Beatrice: it takes something like 37k rapport to max out to Trusted. That's not much, but there's a huge snag you hit partway - once you increase her rapport enough she gives you a quest, and you need to complete the quest before you can gain any more rapport with her. Problem is, you need 140 CHA to start the quest which is a loving lot, and its gonna take me a shitload of work to get it now.

You can trick the system, though, because you can level her rapport up to just under the quest level and then give her a stack of legendary items large enough to finish up the rest of her rapport in one go. So numbers example, say she has 37k total rapport and the quest triggers at 9k. Level her rapport up to 7k, give her a 3-stack of 10k legendary items in one go, and you max her rapport without triggering the gnarly condition.

Also works with at least one of the other critical rapport characters, too, I think - maybe the Papunkia girl?

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

junan_paalla posted:

Yeah the hard ilvl gates are pretty rough, I could've totally done the ilvl 600 required yorn content at ilvl 560 no problem and the only thing stopping me was the game telling me I'm not allowed to until all my gear is +15. And that wouldn't be so painful either if there wasn't the pain of honing RNG telling you "nope, try again tomorrow" because you didn't win the coinflip. But in the end honing RNG isn't much different from boss drop RNG, except for the possibility of impulse buying honing mats from the store for one more roll.

I mean the basic reason is you're going from T1 to T2 which Koreans had to wait like a year for.

Aquila posted:

Small tip; unless I've made a horrible mistake you can't liner to Rohendel until after like 3+ hours of questing, so remember to set your bifrost or return point there as soon as you arrive.

You can liner from Vern. Or it might be from Shushire, one of those 2.

DurosKlav fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Feb 21, 2022

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Virtues are why I wish I'd started watching streams when the paper hats were available

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

The paper hat I picked doesn't have Charisma on it which is by far the stat in the lowest supply. Very sad.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
You can actually buy the paper hats from the amethyst shard vendor, although I have no idea where to get more amethyst shards.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

You can actually buy the paper hats from the amethyst shard vendor, although I have no idea where to get more amethyst shards.

Oh boy can I ever loving tell you how to get an extra 1k at least! Apparently you can get them by maxing out your friends list at 50. I know this because someone found out on my server the other day and now ocean chat is dominated entirely by people spamming friend requests.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Infinity Gaia posted:

Oh boy can I ever loving tell you how to get an extra 1k at least! Apparently you can get them by maxing out your friends list at 50. I know this because someone found out on my server the other day and now ocean chat is dominated entirely by people spamming friend requests.

Yeah couple days it's been nothing than this and debating on various languages on the european servers. Only thing I'm looking for from normal chat is world boss channels, otherwise it's crazy dire, even on MMO standards. Coming from GW2 you get used to actual real people having real conversations in the chat.

It'd be funny if it turned out to be a prank, though. Haven't seen anyone post a message on the universal storage saying they actually got it.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

TeaJay posted:

Yeah couple days it's been nothing than this and debating on various languages on the european servers. Only thing I'm looking for from normal chat is world boss channels, otherwise it's crazy dire, even on MMO standards. Coming from GW2 you get used to actual real people having real conversations in the chat.

It'd be funny if it turned out to be a prank, though. Haven't seen anyone post a message on the universal storage saying they actually got it.

It's real, I completed it pretty quick in ocean chat then removed all the 'friends' afterwards

PHOOsun
Nov 18, 2010

3V3RYBODY STOP WH4T YOUR3 DO1NG 1MM3D14T3LY

Elephunk posted:

Still haven't given them any money but I'm 60 hours deep since games like this do something to me in a bad way...

I think I made a pretty good F2P move:

1000 gold -> 450 Blue Crystals on the AH, bought Hermida's Boat Skin from the F4 shop for 420 blue crystals. Now I have a fast boat that presses spacebar for me!

Also the boat outside East Luterra sells gear for the good boat (the first one), including crew members! Sail in style.

This is such a good tip for free or pay to play that its worth people having another look at it, best use of crystals around.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

:hmmyes:

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003
goodness, it is rough getting those last few points to 600. i spent the weekend working through the last bit and still came up short. :argh:

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Giving the game a second shot with my Artillerist after the first try being an immediate bounce off, and it feels a lot better now. Really hope the game gets an optimization pass at some point though, or at least an FPS cap built in at absolute minimum. My FPS wavers all over the place from low 40s to near 100, and unexpected things absolutely crater it (I'm about ready to play without a pet at all, because I get a half-second freeze every time my pet picks up drops, regardless of how much stuff there is or isn't on the ground).

Seems like a neat game so far, though not really a fan of it taking the FFXIV approach to the main story - I solely picked up the game to play with friend(s) and the amount of "oops this is solo only, go gently caress yourself" is a bit of an obstacle to say the least. Don't know if I'll stick with it, especially without optimization patches coming through - though from what I've seen some of the issues are unique to the NA version and not present in the Korean one, so maybe it'll actually get a patch?

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Pragmatica posted:

goodness, it is rough getting those last few points to 600. i spent the weekend working through the last bit and still came up short. :argh:

Yeah I'm 570-something and feeling the same. I'm pretty sure I did all the T1 islands. The islands I try now are giving me T2 mats.

Fantasm island north of Elf-Land had some T1 mats if you didn't go there yet.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

SkyeAuroline posted:

Giving the game a second shot with my Artillerist after the first try being an immediate bounce off, and it feels a lot better now. Really hope the game gets an optimization pass at some point though, or at least an FPS cap built in at absolute minimum. My FPS wavers all over the place from low 40s to near 100, and unexpected things absolutely crater it (I'm about ready to play without a pet at all, because I get a half-second freeze every time my pet picks up drops, regardless of how much stuff there is or isn't on the ground).

Go into your NVidia Control Panel in Windows and disable VSync there to fix the framerate

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Elephunk posted:

Go into your NVidia Control Panel in Windows and disable VSync there to fix the framerate

AMD. :smith:
I'll see if there's anything comparable next time I'm at my PC, though disabling VSync sounds like the absolute opposite of the goal of "enable VSync and/or a framerate cap".

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Two questions:

Should I be saving my Una tokens for the big 500x one or is it basically the same average gold regardless of which package?

And am I right that the orange/legendary jewelry no longer has the class engravings? I can't find any for the life of me and am still just using my purples so I can continue having my rank 3 class stuff. Does this mean that lategame gearing is equipped(and ranked up) class engravings and my jewelry/stone will be secondary engravings like grudge/barricade/awakening or whatever?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

acumen posted:

Two questions:

Should I be saving my Una tokens for the big 500x one or is it basically the same average gold regardless of which package?

And am I right that the orange/legendary jewelry no longer has the class engravings? I can't find any for the life of me and am still just using my purples so I can continue having my rank 3 class stuff. Does this mean that lategame gearing is equipped(and ranked up) class engravings and my jewelry/stone will be secondary engravings like grudge/barricade/awakening or whatever?

iirc the weekly 4man raids drop stuff with your class engravings. Maybe the 8man raids too idk I haven't done those yet.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Looks like they introduced a new issue to the EU servers: I can log in without any queue, but when I click launch from the character select screen, all the buttons just go unresponsive and nothing happens! What a great start for the evening again.

e: After some voodoo magic the 3rd time got me in the game. I wonder if they dropped the capacity or something.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Lorem ipsum posted:

I've just been grinding out the fights until i'm good enough at them to beat them. It really isn't a luck thing.

Yesterday, I spent 6 hours on my bard dealing with the necromancer and a decent amount of silver repairing her equipment over and over again. Tell me about grinding.

Jabor posted:

That sorc no-hitting the boss is what you should be doing. Everyone should be able to dodge attacks well enough to not get hit while still landing attacks for a few minutes.

The sorc I am referring to had no downtime in attacking solo. She had to do it for 7-10 minutes solo, but the range let her ignore a bunch of attacks that the guardian would have done up close.

Scoss posted:

Most guardians have about 3 or so big attacks that you want to have your evade open for, and if you waste it on things you could have just walked away from(or heaven forbid waste it to go *in*), you are in big danger of being punished. Even then, you usually need to screw up multiple times to actually get killed. I personally also run a skill purely for mobility on my Q to provide extra options.

I am not sure what to tell you. If I am just at ilvl, all 3 of my characters can only take 2-3 of the quick attacks before I need to pot up, and if I get hit by the quick attacks, sometimes there is a followup that just straight up kills me or forces a pot. Also, as far as I can tell, Bard has no extra mobility skill, and Gunlancer is really slow even with its extra mobility skill. It's not like I get killed in the first few minutes. Normally at just at ilvl guardian fights take 10-20 minutes, and I have even seen the berserk necromancer bosses. Eventually the boss needs to be slightly offscreen or some attack sequence or opening, and then I get heavily punished.

What are the classes you guys are playing? I have feeling that the disparity between our experience has to do with what our classes have to offer.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
I play a gunlancer main at ilvl500ish now with a 340 bard and scrapper and as long as the team does mechanics the fights are pretty easy. I typically use a couple pots per boss and generally don't know or pay attention to attack patterns because I usually play high as gently caress

Gunlancer is definitely easiest because you can just facetank everything but I haven't really noticed much of a difference from the first time I did it at 340 to now. I saw you talk about someone else having a build and if you just made up your own I'd definitely recommend reading up on a good guide for your preferred class (I'm using the maxroll guides) because it makes a big difference.

acumen fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Feb 21, 2022

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

My Gunslinger is 543, I am happy just taking my time and going slowly. There is no rush, but the temptation is there to go whale mode and try to increase my ilvl through gold.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Vertus, and then later the firefox, are the first guardian bosses where things get tricky. Vertus has a grab mechanic that if not staggered or shielded will likely one shot players. The fox has a buff+dot combo that can be tricky to manage.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

iirc the weekly 4man raids drop stuff with your class engravings. Maybe the 8man raids too idk I haven't done those yet.

Yes. My understanding is that chaos dungeons and guardian raids drop generic engravings and only abyssal dungeons drop class specific ones.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Flair posted:

Eventually the boss needs to be slightly offscreen or some attack sequence or opening, and then I get heavily punished.

This is Working as Intended, every Starcraft proleague from Korea I've watched from the past 5 years has advertised "ultrawide gaming monitor" consistently and this game is only completely visible on a 21:9 monitor. I assume this was done on purpose as a marketing tool with LG and I wouldn't be surprised if they were paid Money to make the game in 21:9.

You don't really notice this Feature until the boss fights, where yes, you can hit him offscreen and he can hit you. I'm a sorc and this happens all the time.

You can "force 21:9" in the video settings but it looks real bad. I also believe there are plenty of people happily playing without a really dumb monitor aspect ratio, but it does create that EQ classic feeling of "we're all raiding this mob even though I can't see him even when he one-shots all of us".

MMOs baby

e: Here's a picture from Reddit

Elephunk fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Feb 21, 2022

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003
i’m a sorc and play on 21:9. it’s a game changer as ranged. haha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Pragmatica posted:

i’m a sorc and play on 21:9. it’s a game changer as ranged. haha

Yeah my above post sounds very goony and resistant to change but I'm about to buy a new monitor, not gonna lie.