Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Henchman of Santa posted:

The only time I've ever heard a white person use it in my life was the Don Imus incident.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Weatherman posted:

Over four hours since the mod arrived bro, you might want to edit that out.

the past is another country

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
I think it's kinda funny that NYT also doesn't let you guess words that they removed because they thought they would be too hard as solutions. So now, agora and fibre aren't allowed as guesses, but poo poo like aargh and xylyl are because they were too obscure to ever have been be on the solution list.

Wordle has two lists of words built into it: a list of all the solutions, and then a much larger list of every possible word that isn't in the solution list. When you make a guess, it checks both lists and it feels like they didn't realize this was how it worked when they messed with the solutions.

Also, I feel I should note that "nappy" was never removed from the word list. You can still guess it. They only removed 25 words, and 3 of those weren't for slur reasons. That's only 22 cusses they took out, one of which was "wench." Wench, Lynch, and Slave all used to be on the solution list, and it make sense that they would have a higher standard for what is allowed to be a solution.

E:to be extremely pedantic in my dunking, the other word mentioned in that post is 4 letters long and was therefore never in the list to begin with.

Dr. Stab has a new favorite as of 16:38 on Feb 21, 2022

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Dr. Stab posted:

E:to be extremely pedantic in my dunking, the other word mentioned in that post is 4 letters long and was therefore never in the list to begin with.

Hate to break up your dunking, but the OP was about NYT word puzzles, not just Wordle

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Spelling bee is behind a paywall and therefore doesn't exist :colbert:

Actias
Oct 9, 2012

I just noticed that Spelling Bee won't accept "dick." drat you, NYT!

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
You can still put "dicks" in wordle. Go nuts.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Dr. Stab posted:

You can still put "dicks" in wordle. Go nuts.

Not the only place you can put dicks in.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Real kings play Lewdle anyway

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Zetsubou-san posted:

the past is another country

They say time is the fire in which we're banned

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Dr. Stab posted:

Spelling bee is behind a paywall and therefore doesn't exist :colbert:

It amuses me when you can't use some common, but awful, words they use repeatedly in the crossword in Spelling Bee.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

A couple years ago, Will Shortz put "beaner" in the NYT crossword, clue was something like "a baseball pitch that hits the batter." His defense was that he'd never heard of that word as a slur and that it was common use in baseball and he was sorry if you were offended.

Le Faye Morgaine
Feb 1, 2022
Some future IOSM: Trump Social, i mean, Truth Social came out today on ios (unavailable for android yet) as the new 'we would never censor ANYONE, ever!' alt-right nazi platform, after Gettr and Parler failed in their missions.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10535527/Trumps-new-platform-Truth-Social-riddled-error-messages.html

Typical launch errors, also a waitlist due to limiting new accounts to a certain number daily, maybe to try to stave off those libtrolls from infiltrating it outright immediately. I doubt that'll help much.

They said yeah they will be having issues in the beginning and to expect it to be fully in effect by March, but who knows if it will survive that long either. Hopefully not.

I have faith that people out there will do the needful and burn it back into the hole in the ground from which it sprang.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

TIL that nappy is a racist term. Here is just means diaper.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Inceltown posted:

TIL that nappy is a racist term. Here is just means diaper.

It's kinda like how Spastic has some ableist connotations in the UK but just means "kinda herky jerky" here in the USA.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
My favourite is when Americans describe someone as full of spunk.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Mega Comrade posted:

My favourite is when Americans describe someone as full of spunk.

I mean, it also has that meaning here sometimes, and a joke about a perky, daring person being full of jizz is not unheard of here.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Neito posted:

It's kinda like how Spastic has some ableist connotations in the UK but just means "kinda herky jerky" here in the USA.

kinda herky jerky because of ... hmm

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
On this side of the pond fanny means butt

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Only time I've heard spastic used in the US was in Dexter's Lab to describe his sister Deedee, in the episode where he tries to hire a replacement sister. From that I assumed it meant "chatterbox plus attention issues" b/c one of the applicants was a "spastic sister (nun)"

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Neito posted:

You're still saying that someone has a disability as an insult. It's "they move weird and are uncoordinated, just like people with cerebral palsy." Just for some reason America hasn't caught up with recognizing that there's a problem with that.

Dynastocles
May 29, 2009

"If you'll excuse me, my dinner time is six o'clock. Only gangsters eat at 9 o'clock, after some bootlegging and a hot game of craps."

Dr. Stab posted:

You're still saying that someone has a disability as an insult. It's "they move weird and are uncoordinated, just like people with cerebral palsy." Just for some reason America hasn't caught up with recognizing that there's a problem with that.

No, see, you're adding the disability part. When we say spastic, we're saying it to refer to spasms, as in muscle spasms. That everyone has.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Here's it's usually that they're emotionally unregulated (which could also be neurodivergence) or hyperactive. They're unpredictable, like a spasm.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
"Some ableist connotations" is an understatement. It's generally considered pretty loving vile as a descriptor for a person. It's on the level of the American usage of "oval office" for acceptable words.

And yes, its common usage does originate with Spastic Cerebral Palsy.

Lovely Joe Stalin has a new favorite as of 20:04 on Feb 21, 2022

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

spastic just means hyperactive in the US. nobody who uses it means actual muscle spasms, due to cerebral palsy or not

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Neito posted:

No. It and "Spaz" are lovely ways to refer to people in the US too.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

hawowanlawow posted:

spastic just means hyperactive in the US. nobody who uses it means actual muscle spasms, due to cerebral palsy or not

and nobody means homosexual when they say gay!

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

don't let me stop you from getting mad, go hog wild

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

hawowanlawow posted:

This is how I've always seen/heard it used until pretty recently. It just has a different meaning here or at least in some regions.

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣

hawowanlawow posted:

yeah luckily "hyperactive" isn't a loaded term used to pathologize children with different needs or learning styles

Le Faye Morgaine
Feb 1, 2022
I think its mostly the people who take a lot of offense to the word would only be using it to mean it negatively themselves, so they assume you as well must mean it in a negative way, instead of being a description of observed hyperactivity, which isn't itself any more insulting than other descriptors of various possible of human behavior.

Le Faye Morgaine has a new favorite as of 20:44 on Feb 21, 2022

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Eh I'll follow Weird Al on this (and all other things)
https://mobile.twitter.com/alyankovic/status/490724534513700864?lang=en

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Le Faye Morgaine posted:

anyone using it innocently is secretly ableist and really meant it hurtfully

Using "spaz" innocently, as a compliment.

Le Faye Morgaine
Feb 1, 2022

Baron von Eevl posted:

Using "spaz" innocently, as a compliment.

I use it as a description of a lot of movement that anyone does, if you take that as an insult thats your perogative and I cant help that.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
I don't think "spaz" or "spastic" were really in my everyday vernacular anyway, but this is the first time I've ever heard that it has negative connotations. Calling someone "spaz" could even be a term of endearment. I didn't know "Spastic Cerebral Palsy" was even the name of a condition.

I think it takes some pretty obtuse mental gymnastics to equate it to calling things "gay", though. When I was in middle school, I called things gay because every dumb little kid I knew did it. I knew that word meant homosexual and chose to say it anyway. Then I grew up and realized that was hurtful and that being gay isn't wrong or bad.

Regardless, I'll avoid saying it in the future, because that sucks.

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

dialhforhero posted:

You may be surprised about this, sadly. Also: due to a shift in demographics and immigration, there are some pretty hot takes on WWII and the Holocaust with regards to “German” identity and their responsibility. Anecdotal, but a teacher friend of mine tells me often how difficult it can be to instill a sense of understanding about being aware and responsible for one’s history, not repeat it, etc. when teaching kids who themselves may be ethnically not German. It’s like the point itself of “learn history and be compassionate and don’t repeat the mistakes of the past” gets thrown right out when the example country doesn’t match your ethnicity/birthplace or whatever

I think, however, this is true for anyone everywhere by and large just as you said. It is like a part of the human condition. :smith:

This is definitely true with regards to Americans and slavery or civil rights, etc. “Well I didn’t do it so why should I have to feel bad about this?!?” Is a VERY real response that is very much missing the point of the lesson in empathy.

If the Holocaust feels "irrelevant" to German kids with foreign backgrounds, I'm sure there's other atrocities your teacher friend could use as examples. Maybe start with the genocide that Hitler cited as an example of what he could get away with?

To whomever called the French President king of Andorra - ackshually he's Co-Prince

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Le Faye Morgaine posted:

Some future IOSM: Trump Social, i mean, Truth Social came out today on ios (unavailable for android yet) as the new 'we would never censor ANYONE, ever!' alt-right nazi platform, after Gettr and Parler failed in their missions.

It's funny that he named his Twitter clone the same name as the Kremlin's Soviet-era propaganda mouthpiece

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣

Le Faye Morgaine posted:

I use it as a description of a lot of movement that anyone does, if you take that as an insult thats your perogative and I cant help that.

you're being a oval office [not australianly]

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean Dioclician tried that and while it worked for extremely basic stuff they were kind of forced back into coins pretty quickly

Yeah i'm sure that our cave ancestors had money and used all they made with those naturally occuring printing presses and foundries. It's convenient, not """"natural""""

Improbable Lobster has a new favorite as of 21:39 on Feb 21, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Le Faye Morgaine posted:

That's a childish attitude