Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Boom Knuckles is great. We don’t need him in the games, but he’s a blast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Okay?

That doesn’t mean this one was suddenly alright.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
boom knuckles rules and is funny stupid in a way most characters being written to be funny stupid often arent

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

Boom Knuckles is great. We don’t need him in the games, but he’s a blast.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Nodosaur posted:

Hey remember that scene in Boom that had Knuckles “totally own” Amy by saying that the real sexism was pointing out inequality, and then had him call himself a feminist

That bit sucked

we should kill him

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Screaming Idiot posted:

I was never a fan of how the only explicitly Black-coded character in the franchise -- and I'm not referring to Shadow or the Black Arms aliens or whatever -- is the dumb muscle. Sonic Boom may have been funny for a lot of people, but it wasn't comfortable seeing Knuckles be portrayed as an illiterate moron. Even the franchise's Golden Boy Ian Flynn falls into that trap.

I wish they'd give Sonic another Black voice actor. Jaleel White did a great job, and one of my best friends when I was a kid loved Sonic because, to him, Sonic was one of the few really positive Black comic/cartoon/video game characters that wasn't relying on stereotypes.

I don't plan on watching the Sonic movies because A) there's a cop character and B) Jim Carrey is in it, but I love the fact they got Idris Elba to be Knuckles and they're playing him as a serious threat and rival, like he was in Sonic 3.

And yes, I am an SJW (Sonic Justice Warrior).

That's a really good point. I've heard the same thing about Piccollo from Dragon Ball Z, at least the part about him being black-coded. Lots of people identified with him not just because he's really cool, but he also has a ton of things that make him completely unique from the rest of the characters.

Maybe the new film will be a chance for Knuckles to really stand out in a way he hasn't since Sonic 3 & Knuckles came out. Even in the Adventure games characters like Tails, Knuckles and Amy still had important roles in the story, like Amy's ability to convince characters like Gamma and Shadow to do what's right, while Knuckles and the master emerald had to be on the Ark to stop it from crashing. In Heroes it's like all the characters got a lobotomy and now their lives just revolve around what Sonic's doing.

StC has my ideal versions of each character and happens to match very closely with the Adventure games, even though it was written completely independently and several years earlier.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Augus posted:

we should kill him

… what the hell?

Why are y’all making the fact that I criticized something about Boom super weird?

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Augus posted:

we should kill him

lets do it

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
Knuckles is Sonic’s best friend. Let’s not kill him.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Sonic's best friend is Tails you stupid rear end in a top hat!!!!!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

flavor.flv posted:

actually it's porker lewis

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Nodosaur posted:

Hey remember that scene in Boom that had Knuckles “totally own” Amy by saying that the real sexism was pointing out inequality, and then had him call himself a feminist

That bit sucked

I mean, I could be completely off base in my interpretation (It wouldn't be the first time) but I took that joke to be more of a meta commentary on the "inspirational story of a woman succeeding in a typically male-dominated activity" narrative that Amy was trying to invoke in that bit. Like, he wasn't reprimanding Amy for pointing out inequality, so much as point out the nuance of how certain "empowering" narrative tropes can feed into the same systems of oppression they're ostensibly meant to be working against.

I mean, the point seems to have gone over the heads of a few too many people on the internet, but I don't think the joke was particularly anti-feminist or anti-progressive. Now if we want a problematic joke, let's talk about that one from Mombot where Cubot goes full climate change denialist...

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Can we talk about real problems in the sonic franchise, please? It's about time we talk about The Uncle Chuck Problem in SATAM

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
its almost the same joke as lisa simpson saying "THATS RIGHT, A GIRL PLAYING FOOTBALL" only they talk at the camera in this one

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Shinjobi posted:

Can we talk about real problems in the sonic franchise, please? It's about time we talk about The Uncle Chuck Problem in SATAM

No-one should have relatives, except for Eggman and Cream. Next question.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
I dunno, I'm onboard with the idea of Sonic having a lowlife cousin who shows up to crash on his couch and be a nuisance every once in a while. Or Sonic having a relative who's a photorealistic hedgehog who shows up and unnerves everyone...

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Palmtree Panic posted:

Knuckles is Sonic’s best friend. Let’s not kill him.

lets kill sonic too

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

lets kill sonic too

A bold new vision for a new generation

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Sonic died in 1996, with the release of Sonic 3D Blast.

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

I think sonic should just kill eggman and save us all some trouble

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
More needs to be said about how Eggman has outrun Sonic on foot a few times in the Genesis games.

What the hell is going on, sega

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

longer legs

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Oh, is it time to repost this?

quote:

That's easy. It's fear. Picture this:

You're an industrialist, trying to modernize a backward planet and raise up standards of living through the use of technology, for the common good. One day, some of your industrial robots are blown up by a sentient, supersonic blue hedgehog. That's scary as gently caress. Now, said hedgehog has it in his head that you're a monster who's turning animals into robots and wants to take over the world and oppress it, in large part because of all the steroids, speed, colloidal silver, and other assorted poo poo he's been taking in massive quantities for the past decade. You decide to see if you can't reason with the guy, but for your troubles you get assaulted, and your ride gets trashed beyond recognition.

So you decide to deal with this like you would with any other pest problems: You put out some traps, like spike pits, modify a couple of your robots with .22 rifles, etc. The way you'd deal with any rodent, really. Soon enough, the hedgehog gets himself impaled, and you're done. Or so you think. Soon after, despite having quite clearly been drained of his precious bodily fluids, he's back and trashing your robots again. Maybe the other one was some sort of decoy? No matter, you're taking this into your own hands. You modify your ride, mad max style, adding a couple of guns, some spikes, missile, slowly swinging giant balls, that kind of stuff. Then you roll. You meet the hedgehog and after a brief struggle where he manages to make one or two lucky hits on spots you haven't really bothered armoring, you make him into thin gruel. This time you're sure he's done for.

How wrong you are. Soon after, he's back. You can't believe it. You try to kill him yourself once more, but this time he seems to know where to strike. He seems to know when to strike. He seems to know when you'll strike. Once you realize that, you try to change your attack patterns, but it's too late, he's done enough damage to blow up your vehicle, and you barely escape with your life. For the next few days, he follows you, destroying everything you throw at him, and it's obvious he won't stop until he gets you. You can't sleep. You watch as he destroys everything you've done to help people: one after another, chemical plants, oil refineries, amusement parks, all you've built, gets blown up by this satanic, unholy, immortal demon from the deepest pits of hell. When you do manage to take him out, he's back within hours.

Eventually, as you're trying to escape to the one place where you think you're safe, space, he defeats one of your latest creation, and for the first time, you're face to face with him. There's no steel plate protecting you. There's no vertical distance. He's there, staring at you with those empty, demonic eyes.

You run like you've never run before. You just loving run.
Orignally written by YeOldeButchere for a contest in pokecapn's 2006 Let's play:
https://lparchive.org/Sonic-The-Hedgehog-2006/Contest%208/

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Shinjobi posted:

More needs to be said about how Eggman has outrun Sonic on foot a few times in the Genesis games.

What the hell is going on, sega

eggman is very fit

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Maybe most of his girth is actually muscle and Eggman is ripped as gently caress under those clothes.

On another note, I still find it funny that when it came time to update the characters to their modern designs Archie went through this whole elaborate arc where they killed off Robotnik for a while, brought him back later via a robotic alternate universe counterpart, and then had said counterpart upload his mind into a new body based on Eggman’s current look. Meanwhile, Fleetway just had him put on a jacket.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Nostalgamus posted:

Oh, is it time to repost this?

Orignally written by YeOldeButchere for a contest in pokecapn's 2006 Let's play:
https://lparchive.org/Sonic-The-Hedgehog-2006/Contest%208/

Thank you for finding this because I vaguely remembered it and would have had no idea where it was

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

KingKalamari posted:

I mean, I could be completely off base in my interpretation (It wouldn't be the first time) but I took that joke to be more of a meta commentary on the "inspirational story of a woman succeeding in a typically male-dominated activity" narrative that Amy was trying to invoke in that bit. Like, he wasn't reprimanding Amy for pointing out inequality, so much as point out the nuance of how certain "empowering" narrative tropes can feed into the same systems of oppression they're ostensibly meant to be working against.

I mean, the point seems to have gone over the heads of a few too many people on the internet, but I don't think the joke was particularly anti-feminist or anti-progressive. Now if we want a problematic joke, let's talk about that one from Mombot where Cubot goes full climate change denialist...

I'd agree with that, if he were talking specifically about it and didn't drop a line about "not the status quo". But thank you for responding to my point seriously as opposed to whatever the gently caress everyone else is doing.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Larryb posted:

Maybe most of his girth is actually muscle and Eggman is ripped as gently caress under those clothes.

On another note, I still find it funny that when it came time to update the characters to their modern designs Archie went through this whole elaborate arc where they killed off Robotnik for a while, brought him back later via a robotic alternate universe counterpart, and then had said counterpart upload his mind into a new body based on Eggman’s current look. Meanwhile, Fleetway just had him put on a jacket.

don't forget how sonic races around the world with a super emerald strapped to his back that mutates his body to divert a reality-warping laser in a story printed backwards, to make his eyes green. or how amy steals a magical wish granting super ring that everyone wanted to use to cure the terminally ill queen so she could wish herself old enough to join the team

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Meanwhile Tails and Knuckles just change their eye color with no explanation.

Not sure about Amy but I believe STC wound up coming up with a reason for Sonic’s green eyes as well (I think he got exposed to Chaos energy or something)

Speaking of Archie I forget, did Eggman’s room full of spare bodies ever come back into play after its first appearance?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Feb 21, 2022

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i don't believe so, eggman gets turned back into a human by some aliens and his headquarters later gets nuked anyway

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Looper posted:

i don't believe so, eggman gets turned back into a human by some aliens and his headquarters later gets nuked anyway

Too bad, there were some weird looking designs in there (such as a Robotnik that looked like a bald Hulk Hogan)

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
snively betrayed and then murdered the original robotnik with a laser and then a new robotnik from a different dimension who turned himself into a robot but who had the same backstory as the original eventually showed up and became eggman. archie owned lol

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

flavor.flv posted:

that's only becfause tails went through the application process!!!

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
sonic's best friend is tommy turtle

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

snively betrayed and then murdered the original robotnik with a laser and then a new robotnik from a different dimension who turned himself into a robot but who had the same backstory as the original eventually showed up and became eggman. archie owned lol

Sleuth Doggy Dawg was sent to the Devil's Gulag after it was revealed he was a double agent, infiltrating the freedom fighters and reporting to Robotnik.

Wild poo poo

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Sega seems to let the base Freedom Fighters (Sally, Rotor, Bunny, and Antoine) exist in Sonic media even if they don't ever appear in the games, I wonder if the movies would include them at some point? Would the movies be wild enough to introduce Ixis Naugus?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Macaluso posted:

Sega seems to let the base Freedom Fighters (Sally, Rotor, Bunny, and Antoine) exist in Sonic media even if they don't ever appear in the games, I wonder if the movies would include them at some point? Would the movies be wild enough to introduce Ixis Naugus?

Really? Have they actually appeared in anything post Archie then?

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Larryb posted:

I think Ian Flynn has gone on record saying that Sega will never use any of the SATAM or Archie characters in any form of Sonic media ever again, largely thanks to Ken Penders.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Larryb posted:

Those four appear in the new comics don't they?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Macaluso posted:

Those four appear in the new comics don't they?

No, as far as I’m aware the IDW comics are explicitly just characters from the games with a few new additions here and there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Larryb posted:

No, as far as I’m aware the IDW comics are explicitly just characters from the games with a few new additions here and there

Oh well dang, I thought all this time those four were getting a pass. That's kind of disappointing, I still like those characters