Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Heavy Metal posted:

For me, the local one with a good selection (Joe's Discount Office Furniture) has this as the return policy: "all sales are final". If it has a defect they say they'll try and fix it or make it right somehow etc, but they're not taking returns for a chair that doesn't work out for your back essentially.

For sure there are options online too, though return shipping may be a hassle.

Oh, I was talking about a new furniture dealer, not a liquidator/used reseller.

Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear on that one!

Edit:
Yeah, with used place, your only recourse there would probably be to put it up on FB Marketplace or something and be like "Yeah I got it used, freshly refurbished" and see who bites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
One thing to remember is that a chair isn't going to magically fix your posture either. Posture is more tied to moving regularly and not sitting in the same position for ages so don't expect a PC chair to be a magic bullet for your back issues

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I wasn't able to find a liquidator easily in NYC (I'm sure there a plenty in NJ but I don't have a car to go deal with it) so I ended up ordering from an office supply place on LI that delivered. Still ended up being under MSRP for the Embody even with tax/shipping.

I think the biggest thing is that you're not going to be able to find a place with an actual webstore, you're going to find some Geocities-rear end looking frontpage with a totally hosed layout and random photos of desks on it and you will end up having to call/e-mail somebody to get the whole thing done.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

CyberPingu posted:

One thing to remember is that a chair isn't going to magically fix your posture either. Posture is more tied to moving regularly and not sitting in the same position for ages so don't expect a PC chair to be a magic bullet for your back issues

For sure, I have core exercises I do, a routine recommended by PTs etc. But since sitting in an office chair causes the issues, I'm on the lookout for an office chair (or any good chair) that does not do that, for me. I tend to just say get mild back stiffness if I stand for an hour doing dishes leaning forward etc, but I've just had bad luck finding office chairs that work for me. Though I've mainly tried lower end ones except that one Steelcase.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Started looking through this thread for recommendations this weekend and managed to land a Steelcase Leap V1 from 2005 for $160 locally today. It's missing the lumbar pad but is otherwise in great shape.

After sitting in poorly padded dining room chairs for the last four and half years this is like sitting on a cloud.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

If there’s one complaint I have about the Embody after upgrading from the Mirra 2 is that its lumbar support is inferior. You aren’t able to adjust the lumbar support vertically.

The back rest is designed in a way that it seems better for very tall or short people. I’m 5’11 and, no matter what I adjust, there’s a slight gap between my lower back and the support. It’s almost like there’s a flat spot between the lowest and highest parts of the lumbar support.

The first month using the chair I had a dull ache in the lower back after sitting on the chair for an extended period, whereas with the Embody I could sit on that thing for hours and not notice it (apart from the mediocre arm rests).

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Would anyone have the know how to comment on the efficacy, especially as it relates to ergonomics, of a chair setup thats tilted backwards? That is, rather than a standard chair that you can rock back in, the chair is permanently at a 30-40 degree angle roughly so, to my mind without fully thinking this through, you'd be more relaxed and good posture would come more naturally. Of course your monitor and input would have to be adjusted as well. This is just day dreaming really, but something I've thought of lately in response to the amount of times I find myself adjusting my position in my chair, both at work and at home while gaming.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

codo27 posted:

Would anyone have the know how to comment on the efficacy, especially as it relates to ergonomics, of a chair setup thats tilted backwards? That is, rather than a standard chair that you can rock back in, the chair is permanently at a 30-40 degree angle roughly so, to my mind without fully thinking this through, you'd be more relaxed and good posture would come more naturally. Of course your monitor and input would have to be adjusted as well. This is just day dreaming really, but something I've thought of lately in response to the amount of times I find myself adjusting my position in my chair, both at work and at home while gaming.
you’re describing a recliner, op

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

TenementFunster posted:

you’re describing a recliner, op

Maybe they want something like this:
https://www.seventhavenue.com/p/zer...YMaAtiZEALw_wcB

Granted, I don't know how good a $300 one of those would be. Just an example :P

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Zarin posted:

Maybe they want something like this:
https://www.seventhavenue.com/p/zer...YMaAtiZEALw_wcB

Granted, I don't know how good a $300 one of those would be. Just an example :P
nut up and go full Wall-E imho

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

TenementFunster posted:

nut up and go full Wall-E imho

I've seen this on tiktok and I want it

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
Does that thing move around like an electric wheelchair? I would hate to use that thing, every time you needed to get up you'd smash your head or you monitors.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

a dingus posted:

Does that thing move around like an electric wheelchair? I would hate to use that thing, every time you needed to get up you'd smash your head or you monitors.

You should probably update your human OS is your legs are working independently of your torso

Edit: the top part can be moved up with a button so you can get out

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Get the one that looks like a scorpion instead.
https://smile.amazon.com/Imperator-Scorpion-Gaming-Computer-Office/dp/B08HYRNJCH

Only 4 grand to be menaced by your own furniture.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

The second image, less of an angle and less, lets say, aggressive overall is what I was getting at. I dont wanna be flat out laid down, but just at an angle where everything feels more relaxed. I've not ruled out putting a piece of living room furniture in front of my desk either.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
The secretlab chairs claim to have up to 180 degrees of recline... If that's something you are interested in

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
Picked up a Herman miller aeron for the office and a steel case for the gaming computer for under 1000 from my local office liquidator. Thanks everyone for the tips!

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

OK I found a pretty good reason to not spend much on an office chair

https://twitter.com/translatedcats/status/1494951906678038528

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

Lead out in cuffs posted:

I guess just requoting this list that should probably be in the OP (or an OP of a new thread?)

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3383243&pagenumber=99&perpage=40#post514109504

(Quoting for myself too.)

Thanks for quoting this, I was looking for it. I bought the listed Staples Hyken Task Chair chair 10 months ago and am back in this thread looking for a new chair again. So far I've replace both arms, the seat, and the back (but not the casters yet!). Staples hasn't given me any grief about sending out replacement parts, but I shouldn't have to replace essentially every part of the chair in less than a year. I'm looking again because the arm rest foam is splitting on both arms for the second time.

Dog Faced JoJo fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Feb 20, 2022

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

Dog Faced JoJo posted:

Thanks for quoting this, I was looking for it. I bought the listed Staples Hyken Task Chair chair 10 months ago and am back in this thread looking for a new chair again. So far I've replace both arms, the seat, and the back (but not the casters yet!). Staples hasn't given me any grief about sending out replacement parts, but I shouldn't have to replace essentially every part of the chair in less than a year. I'm looking again because the arm rest foam is splitting on both arms for the second time.

Just going to throw it out there, I've had a HM Embody for ~8 years now and it's still going strong.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
I bought an Aeron for $400 from an office liquidator I found on Craigslist 5 years ago and it's still fine.

Don't pay MSRP for S-tier office chairs folks

E: and loving lol if you spend as much on some gamer chair

Canine Blues Arooo fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Feb 21, 2022

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

ILikeVoltron posted:

Just going to throw it out there, I've had a HM Embody for ~8 years now and it's still going strong.
same. i bought a 15-year-old Aeron a decade ago and it’s needed fewer replacement parts than that.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Haven’t had it nearly as long as some of y’all, but the only thing that’s changed on my aeron is my posture.

Cat is totally uninterested in it as well, but your mileage may vary.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

blugu64 posted:

Haven’t had it nearly as long as some of y’all, but the only thing that’s changed on my aeron is my posture.

Cat is totally uninterested in it as well, but your mileage may vary.

Yep, same for me. The 4 cats that have been through this house will scratch and lay on EVERYTHING in the house, EXCEPT the mesh chairs. (Cosm, Aeron, WorkPro 9000)

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Sometimes I'd almost be willing to trade healthcare and relative safety from being gunned down for having access to better shopping. Cant buy poo poo up here. Especially on the east coast

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Dog Faced JoJo posted:

Uhh, I have been sitting in a Staples Hyken for like 40 hours a week, for like 3 years now.

I have had literally zero issues and still have not thought about replacing it. I bought it as a trial thinking it would fall apart in like 18 months or something, then I could justify spending more monies on an HM chair.

Out of curiosity, what do you weigh?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

My old chair broke so I need a new one. :(
Looking for something mid range nothing fancy.

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

Moey posted:

Uhh, I have been sitting in a Staples Hyken for like 40 hours a week, for like 3 years now.

I have had literally zero issues and still have not thought about replacing it. I bought it as a trial thinking it would fall apart in like 18 months or something, then I could justify spending more monies on an HM chair.

Out of curiosity, what do you weigh?

I'm not a petite man but I'm not at the 250lb they rate it at for 8hrs a day.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Dog Faced JoJo posted:

I'm not a petite man but I'm not at the 250lb they rate it at for 8hrs a day.

It honestly sounds like you got a lemon or something.

I'm around 180, this thing still looks brand new.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Finally managed enough precious time off to get to the Steelcase showroom, since no office liquidators exist near me with any stock (they've all been absorbed into Chicago a long time ago), and... between when I scheduled my time and today, they went back to appointment only. Wasting 4+ hours of driving, half in rush hour conditions, and what time off I was able to scrape together, in the process. Not going to get any chance to reach any other showrooms again for months, while my chair continues causing bad enough spine pain it's hard to walk after sitting for a day of work.

I loving hate office furniture companies. With a passion.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Chair nerds just accept this as the cost of business and it's doodoo

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

SkyeAuroline posted:

Finally managed enough precious time off to get to the Steelcase showroom, since no office liquidators exist near me with any stock (they've all been absorbed into Chicago a long time ago), and... between when I scheduled my time and today, they went back to appointment only. Wasting 4+ hours of driving, half in rush hour conditions, and what time off I was able to scrape together, in the process. Not going to get any chance to reach any other showrooms again for months, while my chair continues causing bad enough spine pain it's hard to walk after sitting for a day of work.

I loving hate office furniture companies. With a passion.

Were you going to see a specific chair, or were they just the closest dealer with good hours?

Wasabi the J posted:

Chair nerds just accept this as the cost of business and it's doodoo

I dunno if recognizing that most of these places are B2B retailers and that individual user sales are probably a rounding error on their annual revenue makes me a "chair nerd" but . . . I post in this thread, so welp.

I'm not sure what sort of midlife crisis a chair nerd is supposed to have, but I can only imagine that it's incredibly boring.

Edit: Crappy hours do suck tho, you got me there~

Zarin fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Feb 23, 2022

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Zarin posted:

Were you going to see a specific chair, or were they just the closest dealer with good hours?

They're just about the only dealer, period, that's not a one- or two-man operation with zero knowledge about the chairs themselves. That and HM's stores (which have marginally better hours). The next closest would be driving up into Michigan to go talk to the Crandalls in person. South/east of Chicago we just don't have any of these dealers at all. There's a whole one seller and he exclusively stocks "X-chairs".

Humor from a liquidator: got to try an Aeron without being told the controls were broken and almost fell backwards from how far it went.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
lol if you buy from a dealer and not a scruffy guy in a parking lot, hastily loading office equipment directly from an office in to the back of a uhaul at 3pm on a Sunday.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
I’m set on the embody, but I want one of the blue ones. Stalking Facebook marketplace it is

But also the white and red

gently caress

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

Good day my chair loving friends. I need a new chair to study and game in, while also sweating a lot. Atm i use a cheap plastic Aeron knockoff, the only positive that one has is that it is full mesh. I tried to search the net for a decent chair with mesh everywhere, but all middle priced chairs only have mesh on the backside and leather/fabric/etc on the bottom.

Does anyone of you know an alternative to the Aeron? If not, does anyone has experience ordering an Aeron in europe? I live in Austria, the last time i googled i saw lots of refurbished ones but all shops where B2B. I am self employed but paying my taxes on a fixed rate (agrarian sector) so i cant deduct stuff.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Are there any chairs with a similar ergonomics/comfort to an Aeron but doesn't have mesh? I hate mesh.

Preferably one good for short people.

adeadcrab
Feb 1, 2006

Objectifying women is cool and normal

Neo_Crimson posted:

Are there any chairs with a similar ergonomics/comfort to an Aeron but doesn't have mesh? I hate mesh.

Preferably one good for short people.

I know gaming chairs are looked down upon but I just picked up the Noble Chairs Icon in Cognac/Black top grain leather. Really firm cold-cured foam and lumbar support is giving my back a good time.

Ergonomics are not on par with Aeron but it's not mesh.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Steelcase has a bunch of non-mesh chair too. The ergonomics are different but not necesserily better or worse, just need to try it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Any thoughts on Knoll chairs? I'm looking at the Remix high back, although I've yet to find out what the seat depth is (I expect it to be awful).

The new job has discounts of varying levels with Knoll, Steelcase, Haworth, and Herman Miller. I've tried the Steelcase Gesture and didn't like it, and have largely written off others because I don't like mesh or the seat pan is shallow (I'm looking for 19"+).