Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Randy Moss is definitely the coolest single Pat during the run but they didn't win with him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

harperdc posted:

the Patriots never became a 'national' franchise, have three protagonists in the form of a grumpy genius, bland robot, and Gronk, and nothing else. What else will they have there? Spygate, Ballghazi, Robert Kraft, Putin stealing a Super Bowl ring, and Tarrrrrump? Who wants to watch that?

52.8% of the city of Boston

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Phil Jackson's book about the Kobe/Shaq era makes me confident there's a good long doc covering that era. Might be hard to get people to talk about it though since no one from the Lakers org or Shaq is ready to talk about how awful Kobe was to deal with at that time for everyone and it's hard to tell that story without that.

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

Rick posted:

Phil Jackson's book about the Kobe/Shaq era makes me confident there's a good long doc covering that era. Might be hard to get people to talk about it though since no one from the Lakers org or Shaq is ready to talk about how awful Kobe was to deal with at that time for everyone and it's hard to tell that story without that.

I'm not sure it could ever be done "accurately", for lack of a better word, once Kobe died and especially the manner. I'm struggling to think of a documentary of a dead popular athlete/pop culture person that was very critical and showed them in a negative light, aside from people sort of universally agreed upon as bad, like the singer from Mayhem (stretches the definition of pop).

Maybe a generation or two later it could happen, but at that point you lose the direct voices and experiences.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Douche4Sale posted:

I'm not sure it could ever be done "accurately", for lack of a better word, once Kobe died and especially the manner. I'm struggling to think of a documentary of a dead popular athlete/pop culture person that was very critical and showed them in a negative light, aside from people sort of universally agreed upon as bad, like the singer from Mayhem (stretches the definition of pop).
Didn't a book come out on Lou Reed 1-2 years after he died which basically showed that in private he was a jealous, miserable prick?

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Crazy Ted posted:

Didn't a book come out on Lou Reed 1-2 years after he died which basically showed that in private he was a jealous, miserable prick?

Yes. He also beat women and was a racist.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

sportsgenius86 posted:

Yes. He also beat women and was a racist.
ooooooof

I remember the gist of the book when it came out was that he was an awful human being. I just couldn't recall how many different ways in which he was awful!

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/stephenasmith/status/1494154725981241344

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

The whole desk is shaking when he slaps his hands on it lmao

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

actual positive olympics ratings news

https://twitter.com/seanshapiro/status/1494812927207034882

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

This sounds more like a negative for the NHL to me

I don't hear too much interest in these Olympics overall

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I really can't explain why I'm more likely to watch a hockey gold medal game instead of like, a Stanley Cup Final game.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Pels' contract with Bally Sports is up at the end of the season. They are looking at different providers for next season, ostensibly to make it far easier for locals to watch the games (Bally is only available in like a quarter of the homes in NOLA, iirc).

https://twitter.com/cclark_13/status/1494755532514672645?s=20&t=ML9H4xmms8nMjgB2Y9bw7A

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/CBCOlympics/status/1494719933644783620

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

Rick posted:

I really can't explain why I'm more likely to watch a hockey gold medal game instead of like, a Stanley Cup Final game.

Best of 7 feels great for the diehards and the fans of the teams, but not so much for casuals. A single game Final has so much built in drama and a low amount of investment. I’m a huge hockey fan but I’ll only make it a point to watch potential elimination games for example. Or as a casual basketball fan, the March Madness final over anything but Game 7s in NBA. And soccer as well:
a FA Cup final or Championship Promotion final is gonna be more attractive to me than most EPL games.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

Douche4Sale posted:

Maybe a generation or two later it could happen, but at that point you lose the direct voices and experiences.

Yeah unfortunately the circumstances and his young age at the time of death likely means we’ll never get a relatively “honest” warts and all telling.

Often you don’t get that type of story or documentary until everyone is old and the egos have faded or they’re simply not worried about blowback.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

John Ourand posted:

Amazon has made a little bit of noise about scheduling a game on Black Friday. A Black Friday game would complement Amazon’s e-commerce business, and it would be similar to its Premier League strategy in Britain, where it carries all of the league’s Boxing Day games. But this store may be closed; the NFL has been lukewarm to this idea.

Feel like that last line is just a hilarious understatement

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

DJExile posted:

Feel like that last line is just a hilarious understatement

Do the game on Thursday night like normal and have the deals go live as soon as the game ends. People want the deals, people have to watch the game to know when it’s over. Everybody’s happy.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

sportsgenius86 posted:

Do the game on Thursday night like normal and have the deals go live as soon as the game ends. People want the deals, people have to watch the game to know when it’s over. Everybody’s happy.

i don't think nbc would like having a game removed

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah Thanksgiving is the one Thursday Fox and NBC actually give a poo poo about with the NFL, they're not giving that up.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Black Friday is death for sports. I think we get that weird golf showdown and that's it. I would not be opposed to moving a Sunday game over.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Niwrad posted:

Black Friday is death for sports. I think we get that weird golf showdown and that's it. I would not be opposed to moving a Sunday game over.

Pro sports yes, but that and Saturday are huge days for college football.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

DJExile posted:

There's also a long-standing unspoken agreement that the NFL doesn't schedule games on Fridays so as to not take away eyeballs from high school football.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Vertical Lime posted:

i don't think nbc would like having a game removed

I forgot that one's always different from the regular thursday schedule

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GgNiDcIowE

Enjoy SAS destroying Kendrick Perkins for 7+ minutes discussing the dunk contest

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

DJExile posted:

Can confirm, Black Friday shopping in Eugene, Oregon is an entirely different experience, because everyone who's not stuck at work is at the Civil War game.

Still blows my mind that the "cross state" rivalry is two schools within like an hour of each other.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Timby posted:

There's also a long-standing unspoken agreement that the NFL doesn't schedule games on Fridays so as to not take away eyeballs from high school football.
I know I've heard that and I suppose it could have originated as basically the true story at a time when the NFL wasn't the cultural juggernaut it is now but that taboo can't possibly be holding them back in 2022, right? Like Roger Goodell is not barring the doors shouting about the sanctity of small-town tradition while NBC and Fox try to fling sacks of cash inside, it's just not worth putting games on Fridays for other reasons and they're happy to let everyone think it's a noble sacrifice?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

The NFL would 1,000% put games on Friday night if they thought there was money in it. The Big Ten’s been trying to make it A Thing for a couple years now. Not sure the success it’s had beyond when they put Ohio State on it but yeah

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I don’t know about other states, but thanksgiving weekend is the high school football finals in Illinois. Not that this would necessarily stop the NFL, but there is a lot of competition on Friday and Saturday.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Can confirm, Black Friday shopping in Eugene, Oregon is an entirely different experience, because everyone who's not stuck at work is at the Civil War game.

Still blows my mind that the "cross state" rivalry is two schools within like an hour of each other.

Could be closer, see USC-UCLA for example. and back in the day they used to make both schools and fans come up to Portland and play it at Civic Stadium / modern day Providence Park). But that's bounced between Black Friday and the Saturday depending on scheduling.

and also I would imagine within two or three years of Texas joining the SEC, we'll have that game (they swear it's not a rivalry) back on Thanksgiving day as well.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Probably the only state that would have a hard time with Friday night NFL is Texas, because high school football is bonkers there

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Nodoze posted:

Probably the only state that would have a hard time with Friday night NFL is Texas, because high school football is bonkers there

And the cowboys already play on Thursday so there's no possible overlap there.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON

Bip Roberts posted:

And the cowboys already play on Thursday so there's no possible overlap there.

Don't forget the Texans, as easy as that is to do

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

new Dorktown schedule:

https://twitter.com/jon_bois/status/1496213512091312132

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Nodoze posted:

Texas is its own level of nuttery, but nearly all the southeast is dedicated to football on Friday nights. One of the schools over here has a million dollar indoor practice facility, built for the purpose and funded with taxpayer money.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Bomani's new show debuts March 13

https://twitter.com/GameTheoryHBO/status/1496204843156918272

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
https://twitter.com/AndrewMarchand/status/1496636759790206976

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Since I rarely watch MNF, I hope he makes the move.

Also, the ESPN app really sucks for watching games. Just really buggy.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
As if MNF couldn't get any worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

As if MNF couldn't get any worse.

They could bring back Joe Theismann yet again. Or Jason Witten.