Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Yeah, it’s fully customizable. Here’s mine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lignicolos
Dec 6, 2001

Shart Carbuncle posted:

Yeah, it’s fully customizable. Here’s mine.

Fantastic! Thank you!

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

lignicolos posted:

This is exactly what I’m wanting too. There’s a Nike watch exclusive face that I think is going to fit the bill for me so I ordered a Nike 7 to replace my 6. I’m just hoping it’ll let me modify the complications. Dunno why it wouldn’t….

Love the Black Sabbath energy in this face. Wish I could get this on my non-Nike 😭

The swoosh replaced with the date would make this drat near perfect.

lignicolos
Dec 6, 2001

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Love the Black Sabbath energy in this face. Wish I could get this on my non-Nike 😭

The swoosh replaced with the date would make this drat near perfect.

I agree completely! On my Nike Series 3 the swoosh was on all of the Nike faces was an unchangeable complication that linked to their watch app. I'm assuming it's the same on this face. I'll know on Tues when my 7 arrives.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

lol what would tapping the swoosh do if you deleted the nike run app? It’s like a phone with an unremovable bing or facebook button on the home screen

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Clark Nova posted:

lol what would tapping the swoosh do if you deleted the nike run app? It’s like a phone with an unremovable bing or facebook button on the home screen

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

goddamn lmao

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

It is like the preprogrammed buttons on a roku remote. No, I do not have Sling but if I accidentally sit on the remote, that is where my tv is going.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Assuming everyone else got the alert today, but there's a new Unity Lights watch face for Series 4+ with "2D Ray Tracing" which sounds like something they just made up. Coincidentally there's a new $99 solo loop band for it.

https://www.macrumors.com/2022/01/26/apple-launches-black-unity-braided-solo-loop/

After 7 years Apple has proven they can make some pretty faces, maybe someday we can get more useful faces too.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Cool they invented shadow casting, a technique that games have been using for 30 years.

It does look really cool though so I'll give them that. Too bad the disaster that is their complications means I can only use the modular face.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
The braided band looks like the old “black” sports loop, neat. Always liked that one a lot.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Imagine not having a S7 so you can use Modular Duo :smug:

Violator
May 15, 2003

Is raise to speak any better on the newer Watches? I have an SE, which isn’t that old, but I have very limited success unless I super exaggerate my raise movement.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Violator posted:

Is raise to speak any better on the newer Watches? I have an SE, which isn’t that old, but I have very limited success unless I super exaggerate my raise movement.

It always happens to me when I'm just checking the time, but never when I want it to on my S6. It pisses me off and I'm thinking about just disabling it entirely.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
I’d say on my 7 it almost always works. Actually it does a lot of turning on when I’m just checking something on my watch while actively talking to someone else, so it’s sort of a little too good at responding.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

It was one of the first things I disabled on my SE.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I am interested in an Apple Watch as a fitness tracker thingy as I am getting older and fatter. I don't want to pay a $10/month subscription for Fitness+. Does this nerf a lot of the fitness tracking abilities? Reading the OP it sort of seems like you have to pay if you want to track your exercises, etc.

Endless Mike posted:

APPLE FITNESS+

Apple launched Apple Fitness+ in December 2020, a subscription workout service utilizing the Apple Watch's fitness tracking capabilities. Apple Fitness+ currently offers 11 workout types including running, HIIT, yoga, strength, and guided meditation, some requiring equipment ranging from a simple yoga mat to a stationary bicycle. Workouts are largely cardio-focused, but the strength workouts do work on strength using bodyweight and dumbells. An Apple Watch running WatchOS 7.2 or later (so a Series 3 or newer) is required to use the service, as is an iPhone, iPad, or AppleTV running 14.3 with the exception of the Time to Walk workouts (which you go take a walk while listening to a celebrity monolog). Every Apple Watch purchase includes a three month trial, and it's $9.99 per month after, or as part of the Apple One Premier plan.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

No, the tracking does not require a subscription at all. Fitness+ is just a Peloton competitor, you get access to videos of over the top happy fitness instructors encouraging you to work harder.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I think that is just some kind of video/robot coaching service, you don't need to pay anything to just track stuff.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Toe Rag posted:

I am interested in an Apple Watch as a fitness tracker thingy as I am getting older and fatter. I don't want to pay a $10/month subscription for Fitness+. Does this nerf a lot of the fitness tracking abilities? Reading the OP it sort of seems like you have to pay if you want to track your exercises, etc.

Nope, it'll track anything you want. Fitness+ is just a service with workout videos. You need an Apple Watch to use it, but don't need it to use an Apple Watch for fitness tracking.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Yes, Fitness+ is just video and audio guided workouts. If you don't sub to it you can still use all the other parts of the Fitness app like activity goals and custom workout tracking. Though you do get a 3-month trial of it with a watch so you can at least try it.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Thanks! That's what I thought it was, but just wanted a sanity check on my poor reading comprehension. :o:

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I use my Apple Watch as a fitness tracker and my indoor fitness activity is Supernatural VR.

My watch helps provide my heart rate to the set up. It works pretty well. The only issue I have had is that as soon as I turn on the Supernatural app to track my heart rate, it counts everything as exercise. One time I started the tracking but my daughter needed help with her homework. 45 mins later, I come back to work out and I have 45 minutes of exercise done.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Any good deals on Stainless Steel 7's right now? Apple is offering extra trade-in credit for watches this month and I figure I should jump on that and unload my 4 before it loses more value. However, if I can get a better price without requiring a trade-in that would be sweet.

adeadcrab
Feb 1, 2006

Objectifying women is cool and normal

Toe Rag posted:

I bought an apple watch initially just to track my steps, knowing next to nothing about it, and was amazed that it effectively tracks calories burned and so on. I also received 3 months of fitness+ for free and thought it was not worth it without trying it, however I now use it daily for yoga workouts (as I am hopeless at making my own yoga routine) and am a paid subscriber.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

Jose Oquendo posted:

Any good deals on Stainless Steel 7's right now? Apple is offering extra trade-in credit for watches this month and I figure I should jump on that and unload my 4 before it loses more value. However, if I can get a better price without requiring a trade-in that would be sweet.

oh man you got me thinking of upgrading... lmk if you find anything!

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

jink posted:

oh man you got me thinking of upgrading... lmk if you find anything!

I went to an Apple Store today to upgrade. I went with aluminum midnight. I really wanted to do stainless steel graphite, but it's not really that dark and (this an extremely 1st world problem) it wouldn't have looked right with my Space Black link bracelet. I would have had to upgrade to a titanium watch for that and I didn't want to spend thaaat much. All in all, not a bad deal. Got a new 7 for $320 after trade-in.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

Jose Oquendo posted:

I went to an Apple Store today to upgrade. I went with aluminum midnight. I really wanted to do stainless steel graphite, but it's not really that dark and (this an extremely 1st world problem) it wouldn't have looked right with my Space Black link bracelet. I would have had to upgrade to a titanium watch for that and I didn't want to spend thaaat much. All in all, not a bad deal. Got a new 7 for $320 after trade-in.

No kidding? wow, I'll check on this as well

I have a stainless series 5 and am in love with the finish on it. I could never trust Apple to make a consistent black...

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

jink posted:

No kidding? wow, I'll check on this as well

I have a stainless series 5 and am in love with the finish on it. I could never trust Apple to make a consistent black...

Yeah I'm gonna see how it holds up. I had an SSSS original Apple Watch, upgraded to a SSSS 4. Like you, I love the finish. Definitely disappointed it's not around this generation. I take pretty good care of my stuff, and I have AC so if something happens to this I can always get it replaced. I also figure that if the trade-in value is similar to my 4, upgrading every few years for around $300 is fine.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I splashed out for a SE watch and I'm enjoying it so far. The different clock faces are charming.

The heart rate monitor was the main thing, other than "a desire for a novel toy," that I was looking for. I think it is neat, although it is kind of worrying to see when it spikes up, lol. I'm guessing things like transient spikes when I get up are just a factor of it sampling a particular 10-15 seconds and extrapolating, right? :ohdear:

Nessus fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Feb 12, 2022

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I’m definitely going to have to replace my watch before “post” COVID international travel is a thing again. I find I need to put my S4 on the charger by 4 or 5pm if I’ve done any serious activity during the day. Right now, while I’m perma-bound to my home it’s not really a big deal but I’ll definitely be paying attention to upcoming models.

I’m honestly not sure what, if anything, they’d plan to add to a new watch which would make me wait. The use case for my watch is basically

1a. ApplePay
1b. Tell time
2. Show temperature/weather
3. Control my iPhone media so I don’t have to take the phone out of my pocket
4. Track fitness

all things which it currently does really well right now.

My biggest gripe around the watch/phone integration is that it’s never really seamless controlling media from the watch. For music I find that it’s pretty hit/miss if I press pause or stop. There’s a maddening gray area around media on your watch vs media on the phone visible on your watch that is a mental holdover for me back when I think the watch was ONLY used to control your phone at launch. I just can’t seem to get over that. For things like overcast, the pause/play podcast functionality NEVER seems to work until I initiate the podcast on my phone first. Presumably because it’s locked in my pocket, but I would have hoped that there was some phone/watch synergy to tell the phone “hey the watch is on and synced, maybe respect the play button” instead of just spinning forever until I get annoyed and fish the phone out of my pocket.

But I mean, overall my experience with the watch has been overwhelmingly positive. For all the complaints I have I’d still be pretty naked without one. When Apple killed touch-id on the iphone my watch became my primary payment source — I loathe faceid payment authentication, and watch ‘unlock’ synergy does nothing for me. I still need to punch in my clumsy passcode in public if I want to pull out the phone and pay vs using my watch.

I think I kind of went on a tangent but yeah, I should probably upgrade soon. At this point I’m still kind of based out of home so no real rush to snap up an upgrade right now but I’ll wait to see what the new 22 models bring and this is PROBABLY the year my S4 gets traded in.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

I just tried and I can't replicate your Overcast issue at all. I connected my AirPods to my phone, killed the Overwatch app on my phone, locked my phone, launched Overcast on my watch, started a podcast and it started playing on my phone.

edit: And for troubleshooting purposes, I'm on a brand spanking new iPhone Pro 13 and Series 7 watch. Both running most recent OS builds.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Feb 13, 2022

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

I get the same issue with Overcast sometimes on my S3. Controls not doing anything, or displaying the last podcast played instead of the current one, or the spinny dots beachball until I interact with my phone directly. Probably less than 1 in 20 times, though.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
That used to happen to me constantly when I was using a Series... 5, I think and an iPhone XS. Since I recently went hog wild and got a 13 Pro and a Series 7, things stay way more in sync. I don't know if it's more to do with the watch or the phone upgrade.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Thanks for checking. I think there’s probably some nuance to when it happens that I can’t articulate easily. An example would be something like, I drive to the store with a podcast playing. When I turn off the car my phone pauses the podcast because bluetooth with the radio was broken. I’ll do my shopping with my phone in my pocket, 20 minutes later hop in my car and “oh yeah I should turn the podcast back on but my phone is in my pocket” before I drive off, reach for my watch and pressing play will just result in an endless spin until I get annoyed enough to reach into my pocket to unlock and press play, at which point the watch seems to show the right information again.

If these kinds of things worked themselves out in later revisions of hardware I’m happy to wait. I’m on an S4 and XS so I’m a fair amount of revisions back at this point.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Martytoof posted:

I’m definitely going to have to replace my watch before “post” COVID international travel is a thing again. I find I need to put my S4 on the charger by 4 or 5pm if I’ve done any serious activity during the day. Right now, while I’m perma-bound to my home it’s not really a big deal but I’ll definitely be paying attention to upcoming models.

I’m honestly not sure what, if anything, they’d plan to add to a new watch which would make me wait. The use case for my watch is basically

1a. ApplePay
1b. Tell time
2. Show temperature/weather
3. Control my iPhone media so I don’t have to take the phone out of my pocket
4. Track fitness

all things which it currently does really well right now.

My biggest gripe around the watch/phone integration is that it’s never really seamless controlling media from the watch. For music I find that it’s pretty hit/miss if I press pause or stop. There’s a maddening gray area around media on your watch vs media on the phone visible on your watch that is a mental holdover for me back when I think the watch was ONLY used to control your phone at launch. I just can’t seem to get over that. For things like overcast, the pause/play podcast functionality NEVER seems to work until I initiate the podcast on my phone first. Presumably because it’s locked in my pocket, but I would have hoped that there was some phone/watch synergy to tell the phone “hey the watch is on and synced, maybe respect the play button” instead of just spinning forever until I get annoyed and fish the phone out of my pocket.

But I mean, overall my experience with the watch has been overwhelmingly positive. For all the complaints I have I’d still be pretty naked without one. When Apple killed touch-id on the iphone my watch became my primary payment source — I loathe faceid payment authentication, and watch ‘unlock’ synergy does nothing for me. I still need to punch in my clumsy passcode in public if I want to pull out the phone and pay vs using my watch.

I think I kind of went on a tangent but yeah, I should probably upgrade soon. At this point I’m still kind of based out of home so no real rush to snap up an upgrade right now but I’ll wait to see what the new 22 models bring and this is PROBABLY the year my S4 gets traded in.
FWIW, overcast was horribly unresponsive on my S3 and is pretty great on my S7. (It’s still not awesome, lately overcast doesn’t stay open very long on the screen anymore so the controls are always gone next time I look for them… but e.g. fast forwarding or pausing is very good now…)

Music still does some weird poo poo with stuff on the watch vs. on the phone, though… like the Now Playing will come up if I start music on my phone, but on my watch it’s showing the last song I played on the watch itself…

So yeah, I feel you. There are a decent number of paper cuts for making it all a seamless experience. It’s definitely not all solved on the S7, but IME it’s better.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
I had enough problems with overcast on the watch that I just took it off my watch and let the default media controls handle things.

That was a few versions ago but I haven’t missed it.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Yeah I should just do that, the watch app experience is unfortunately bad enough that it would probably be an upgrade.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
Is there a way to get a notification on my phone when my watch finishes charging?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Arcsech posted:

Is there a way to get a notification on my phone when my watch finishes charging?
This should happen automagically?