Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Well I'm happy the reloading worked and I understand how to work within the painful constraints of the rift system but I had to abandon campaign since I need Meow heading a doomstack to get my other souls but I also need Meow heading a doomstack to camp the Forge and try to stop the enemy doomstacks that are pretty god drat doomy. Can't actually out-muscle Skarbrand without Meow there. Or possibly, perhaps. 3 Grinders, 7 Bloodletters, 2 Skullcannons, 1 Minotaur, rest are Exalted bloodletters or Chosen and then big S himself. Ouch. I did have a 19 Terracota stack in progress but my timing is off by too much.

I'll take losing a VH campaign over bugging it out and try again sometime, I've lost tons of VH starts in WH2 while angling for the win with a race. I guess the real lesson here is don't fall behind on Souls, which is a shame, I threw the first rift to solidify my campaigning and my chickens sure came home to roost. :v: The game just assumes you did well and keeps scaling things up, this campaign must be hell to new or struggling players. Lots of death spiral situations.

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

What's this you're talking about, heroes closing portals?

If an army closes a portal it causes a fight but that's XP, Gold and Items to gain. If a hero closes a portal they do it quietly but it costs 1500 gold. 3-5 heroes can shut down even all of united Cathay in a few turns if you got the cash to burn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

My general thoughts after trying out most of the factions:

Overall an excellent release, for a total war game. The only bugs I've run into so far that are real killers are the upkeep one (it makes me extremely leery of confederations) and the AI settlement battle rebuild cheat. AI is currently ignoring cooldown timers on destroyed barracides/towers and it makes settlement battles far more tedious and annoying than they should be. So much so that I've specifically been experimenting with AR stacks just for tearing through them.

I actually like settlement battles in concept and design, but a handful of bugs are really killing them for me presently. Namely the AI cheating above and the larger AI pathfinding issues people have noted in various ways. There is no way i'm playing on any difficulty that doesn't allow pause presently because if you're doing any kind of multi-front push, you can't trust your units to go where you tell them to in anything resembling a sane manner. Most of the time they actually do, but the pressure can turn on so quickly in settlement battles that you'll take crippling loses because of AI stupidity and bullshit instead of because your strategy was bad or anything like that. Which leads to...AR stacks, unfortunately.

And ya, the realms suck. They all need better reasons to be in there besides just the souls, or maybe the souls need some benefit to them as well? The realm loop just feels extremely unpolished and unmotivating. Did an AI get into a realm you needed 2 turns before you? Welp, ignore the loving portal because you ain't winning it. Also, hope you enjoy dealing with your neighbors portals because anti-player bias will see armies just pour out of them and beeline to you, despite the AI having stacks right next to the portal in a settlement that could easily just go close it.

Which leads to my final complaint, which I think is either a bug or the weighting of their AI choices is off, but the campaign AI is extremely...weird right now. It seems like it can get stuck in certain loops of inaction that cause it to just do very derpy and/or annoying things. Like never leaving a settlement even though they should be going out and doing something, or very incessantly attacking you, even if their poo poo stack they send every couple turns is just getting curb stomped. Wouldn't be surprised if some of the faction specific AI traits are just being weird right now and it will take some time to work out the kinks. Greenskins in every game I've played, once they decide they don't like me, just send endless waves of boys and goblins. Maybe some trolls, but its just the same tedious poo poo over and over again. Meanwhile their territory is being picked apart by rogue armies and daemon factions, but nope, gonna just keep sending poo poo stacks at the player!

All that said, solid bones, can't wait for IE, etc etc.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Dramicus posted:

I hope there's a mod that makes minor settlements into field battles again. I'd personally want the minor settlement maps to replace the capital maps because I actually like most of the minor settlements but the thing I want most is to have more field battles and fewer sieges.

Edit:

Minor settlements -> Field battles
Capitals level 1-3 -> Minor settlement battles
Capitals level 4-5 -> Walled settlement battles

That would be ideal.

I was thinking more cities like Altdorf/Kislev can be walled, other capitals are minor settlement styles, everything else is a field battle. Mods will fix it, I imagine CA will adjust it asap as well. It's not like there's a lack of open field maps available.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Interestingly, the non game 3 factions have the old UI colors if you end up playing them.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

I was thinking more cities like Altdorf/Kislev can be walled, other capitals are minor settlement styles, everything else is a field battle. Mods will fix it, I imagine CA will adjust it asap as well. It's not like there's a lack of open field maps available.

Sure, the special cities can get custom maps or whatever. Given what we have seen from mods for 1 & 2, this should be easily possible.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I do like the extra difficulty and the AI actually being able to match some of your doomstacking, army-soloing legendary lords after they yoink some weapons from Khorne and you can't just snooze through the battles too much, I'd just like them to let me skip the mismatched battles more often.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I do like the extra difficulty and the AI actually being able to match some of your doomstacking, army-soloing legendary lords after they yoink some weapons from Khorne and you can't just snooze through the battles too much, I'd just like them to let me skip the mismatched battles more often.

Fighting battles in the chaos realms against the other LLs' premier stacks and barely pulling out wins by the skin of my teeth is the most fun I've had in TWW3, and the only thing I like about the current chaos realms is that they serve as a functional thunderdome for the nastiest army every faction can put on the field.

A shame about everything else about it.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Game fun. The realms could have been cut in like half and still felt good, but the objectives are oriented to letting you play more tall and stable instead of paint the map which the mortal factions all are themed around (and the demons want to pillage anyway) so it works.

Admittedly I am blessed with just the right computer to make it run like Warham 2++ and the only bugs I've had are crashes/drops in multiplayer campaigns, so it's an overall positive, unsoured experience on my end.

My main complaints are that you can't have new, unplayed factions join in MP, you only get the ones that were slotted in at the start. Doesn't have to be the same player, but still. Kislev also is slow to get going, but once they do the Kossack issue goes away because Prag and tech gives you fast, 10+ global recruitment slots that aren't hideously expensive but it takes so long to get there, although in retrospect that might be by design to give you to give you a hectic, defensive early game of cleansing out the traitors, dealing with norsca, thrott-rats, and eastern greenskin incursions and as you start to get into stride the legendary lord demons come knocking but after that you're an unstoppable powerhouse and bastion. It's still such an absolute endurance run that feels weird, if unique and ultimately satisfying, in comparison to Cathay's chill vibes or the demons and ogre factions whimsical approach, excluding previous game stuff in that too.

The lack of a designated melee hero for Kislev and Cathay beyond generic lords which, in particular for Kislev, you don't want to use over your buff witches, also really hurts. Although maybe that is my habit of using them as the anti-large and anti-lord option for other rosters.

Interesting things for the future, too;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgjyN6Eg-Ck

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
Campaign would be much improved if you opened a rift with a rite and could enter whenever you are ready (with a cool down between rifts), plus the ability to stop the AI winning like in vortex. Boom, you can play the Ursun race, use rifts to mine around the map or can focus on map painting without worrying about losing the game

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

this is literally lokhir's intro animation

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Loving almost everything so far, but they really gotta get the AI to march out and fight more open battles. I can trick them out with ambushes or get lucky and catch them in forced march, but it's so rare to have a single enemy army walk up to my own army and fight a cool battle.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
If you replace a lord do you get the penalty of both? I had to recruit a boyar I don't really want to keep around. If I can replace him with an Ice Witch it would be ideal, but I'm not sure that's worth an additional 4% upkeep penalty. Same with whenever I get Boris, if I can replace the boyar with him instead it would work a lot better. I could deal with just never recruiting that boyar again.

E: suppose I could just recruit the witch, transfer all the troops, and get the boyar killed instead. That would probably be worth a few turns if the upkeep.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
I think if you confer a faction that has disbanded lords you don’t face an upkeep penalty for them, but if you disband them yourself, you continue to pay upkeep. I say this because I started recruiting disbanded lords in order to suicide them and reduce my upkeep, but upkeep went up instead of staying constant.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Kanos posted:

Fighting battles in the chaos realms against the other LLs' premier stacks and barely pulling out wins by the skin of my teeth is the most fun I've had in TWW3, and the only thing I like about the current chaos realms is that they serve as a functional thunderdome for the nastiest army every faction can put on the field.

I mean i like that aspect

I just dont like having to do it on a short timetable or lose the campaign. At least with Vortex they had intervention armies and other ways to cockblock factions.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Some people like campaigns that are basically a race against the AI, some people don't. Neither are wrong but Creative Assembly definitely seems to be in the "liker" camp.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

A race aspect is an easy way to incentive being aggressive and active that's obvious instead of just suffering from ten doomstacks from the AI forty turns later because you turned swords to plowshares, you absolute baffoon, you cretin.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

I think if you confer a faction that has disbanded lords you don’t face an upkeep penalty for them, but if you disband them yourself, you continue to pay upkeep. I say this because I started recruiting disbanded lords in order to suicide them and reduce my upkeep, but upkeep went up instead of staying constant.

I think I read that the upkeep increase is applied again if you redeploy a disbanded lord.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Except they instead replace that with the massive amount of random chance as to whether you or the AI can get to the objective first, and if the AI gets it first you're SOL and are now a whole cycle behind.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Kanos posted:

Yeah exactly this, fighting some rival lord after you've been worn down by demon armies and that lord has a Khorne weapon making him unbreakable and +250 damage makes it a bit more challenging.

I'm liking my first campaign as Zhao, with his skill line you can easily make all the ogres love you so you can completely ignore the hellmaze that is the mountains of mourn and focus on just Cathay and the Bastion, though after you've secured Cathay the map feels a bit cramped since you don't want to expand south and the only other place is endless inhospitable chaos wastes, though I suppose a third option is taking a rift with your lord and finding a new place to call home.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Doomykins posted:

It bugged me more to not know if an older save would fix it then to try it and realize my campaign is well and truly hosed. By good fortune I'm not on legendary so I went back to before entering Slaanesh's domain and sat on my hands for ten turns, giving up my 3rd soul to see if the bug would be reproduced. And it wasn't. I waited for the 4th soul to be claimed, the new wave of rifts to open and tried going to the Forge. It worked and now I can set up a cheesy camping army, I guess.

So PSA: if you need to contest the souls(i.e. you're behind in the race and somebody is about to get their 4th) you have to sit out a rifts cycle. I assume my problem is that I was inside a realm and had my 1 permitted rift that roar and the game bugged and didn't allow me to go to "two", the second being the Forge.

I guess finishing this campaign is back on the menu but god drat that is a serious QA gently caress up. Nobody ever had their LL inside a realm and an enemy faction got their 4th soul? It never came up? Come on.

Ah well. Game rough.

It happened to me. Was still in the Tzeentch realm getting my fourth when Greasus got his, though I still went to the Forge for the final battle fine. You do get your own "Rifts Open" event when you get the souls.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

https://youtu.be/0jyARy1Tp-U

Someone did some digging in the game files and forced it to load some siege maps from Immortal Empires. Spoiler: they look really pretty.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Where would the Red Duke even start on the TW3 map? Todbringer obviously has Middenland, but there's not any Bretonnia at all.

Also, I wonder if why Skrag dominates the Empire so much is because, while obviously he has Ogre buffs, unlike Greasus he doesn't vanish off the the Chaos Wastes when the rifts open.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
The video of mousillon is from game 1

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Gamerofthegame posted:

Game fun. The realms could have been cut in like half and still felt good, but the objectives are oriented to letting you play more tall and stable instead of paint the map which the mortal factions all are themed around (and the demons want to pillage anyway) so it works.

The problem is that it goes too far the other way. There is almost no incentive to expand, at all, beyond being able to financially support a doomstack and a defensive stack to hold your land while your lord is doing realm stuff. Like even taking control over Kislev feels like a bit of a pointless overstretch - the Praag/Oblast/Kislev triangle can easily support a decent Katarin stack and a decent defensive stack and is a small enough territory that that and some garrison buildings is all you need, whereas if you expand to the northern oblast and take/confederate western Kislev you'll need 2-3 more stacks to hold onto it(which means lower quality armies because your income won't scale as fast as your expenses, even with nerfed supply lines). Holding tons of territory doesn't help you win the campaign and generally just makes it harder because you have more portals to close, more angles to be attacked from.

quote:

The lack of a designated melee hero for Kislev and Cathay beyond generic lords which, in particular for Kislev, you don't want to use over your buff witches, also really hurts. Although maybe that is my habit of using them as the anti-large and anti-lord option for other rosters.

My experience with Kislev is kind of the opposite; I think that the Ice Witch lords are actually total crap unless you roll very specific traits. They have zero casting benefits over the hero version(seriously, not even greater conduit or a loremaster trait???) but have red/blue lines to dilute their spellcasting points and are terrible squishy nerds in combat. Boyars provide some tanky strong martial hero punch the faction otherwise completely lacks, and you can slap a frost maiden with them to provide the same(or better, since she has nothing to put points into besides spells) spellcasting oomph.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Feb 21, 2022

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
I keep getting kicked out of the chaos realm at random, making the campaign literally impossible. Feels bad to be winning on the campaign map, but getting completely poo poo canned by bugs to the point I'm going to have to restart the campaign.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I have yet to see the bug to kick you out of the chaos realm.

I have been kicked out of the chaos realm when another faction finishes that realm.

The best one was some guy who sat in there over 20 turns so when I finally got there turn 1 of the portals opening, turn 2 he finished it and kicked me out.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

In the chaos realms AI should have to hold the soul they get for the full duration of the rift so if they get it before you there's a shot and beating the current holder, also for blocking an AI from winning just by chance of movement range.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Yvonmukluk posted:

Where would the Red Duke even start on the TW3 map? Todbringer obviously has Middenland, but there's not any Bretonnia at all.
He could be like Dryncha for a DLC, combined map only. Especially if the main vampire LL was Neferata.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Yvonmukluk posted:

Castle Drachenfels is on the map

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Kanos posted:

My experience with Kislev is kind of the opposite; I think that the Ice Witch lords are actually total crap unless you roll very specific traits. They have zero casting benefits over the hero version(seriously, not even greater conduit or a loremaster trait???) but have red/blue lines to dilute their spellcasting points and are terrible squishy nerds in combat. Boyars provide some tanky strong martial hero punch the faction otherwise completely lacks, and you can slap a frost maiden with them to provide the same(or better, since she has nothing to put points into besides spells) spellcasting oomph.

That's fair, the lord-wtiches I roll usually have pretty great traits but I'm sure there is a garbage pool

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Third World Reagan posted:

I have yet to see the bug to kick you out of the chaos realm.
It's possible, but unlikely that happened to me. I actually got attacked through the portal by an army that wasnt even in the chaos realm, then it kicked me. I tried another portal since I had plenty of time, and it kicked me the next turn. I think getting attacked by an army that should have been thousands of miles away might be the cause, but who tf knows. It just sucks that you are absolutely required to do the chaos realm, and either I'm not in a position to do it when they spawn, or I'm ready for it, but it boots me. Makes the campaign absolutely infuriating, especially because everything on the actual map is going peachy.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Collapsing Farts posted:

I'm struggling with Tzeentch. The enemy just keeps running into my stuff and annihilating it. I'm mostly fighting Slaneesh so maybe they're just really good at it. My blue horrors seem to just suck at everything

Can a Pro Tzeentch Player please teach me the ways

Knights of Tzeentch and Doom riders both rule. Flamers on flanks are how I imagine flamethrowers SHOULD be. Kairos out front to thin enemy with his magic. Blue Fire of Tzeentch versus single entities works well.

IMO if you can use Knights as your anvil. They have very good MA and MD. Doom Knights as assassins that can tank a bit in a pinch and retreat to regen barrier. Just be wary of flamer friendly fire.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Also I hereby decree! Having completed the final battle as Tzeentch, it "loving sucks" and is way too long

I laughed at 14 Soul Grinders in the preview pic, it seemed silly and excessive. Turns out it didnt include reinforcenent waves

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

Kanos posted:

Tzeentch's realm is possibly one of the dumbest mechanics I've ever seen(and it's telling that most peoples' solution is "figure out the route and then reload to 10 turns earlier in the campaign") and all of the others are basically interchangeable "slog across lovely terrain fighting infinitely spawning stacks until you get to the boss battle at the end".

lol, tried doing Tzencth's realm myself.

Knowing people's experiences ITT I set everything to easy, beelined for the fortress the very turn the chaos rifts opened for the first time and Katarina *still* beat me to it. And it's not like I could have just defeated her army as they were consistently out of range.

What contempt CA must have for the player's time to include something like this.

PerilPastry fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Feb 21, 2022

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Electronico6 posted:

It happened to me. Was still in the Tzeentch realm getting my fourth when Greasus got his, though I still went to the Forge for the final battle fine. You do get your own "Rifts Open" event when you get the souls.

I was getting my third so I guess the game didn't give me the flag to go to the forge and intercept, though the advisor reopened every rift in the world and told me to go run interception anyway.

Trying Greasus out atm, some large lads here. Opening cutscene is pretty good for establishing how nerve-wracking it is to barter with Ogres at all.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
everyone hates quest battles? let's make them longer.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
We all know immortal empires will be coming out, and if they didn't make the base map a race against the AI quest thing then WH3 would have two "paint the map" campaigns of varying sizes/factions and that sounds like a bad plan.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

uber_stoat posted:

everyone hates quest battles? let's make them longer.

i wouldn't mind them at all if you could save mid-battle, but...

oh this is my biannual post that u have an A-tier av/username also

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I got to turn 70 with Ogres on my campaign and I just kind of petered out so here is my lengthy and unasked for review of playing this faction. The Realm of Chaos stuff didn't engage me, but honestly I just completely ignored it and it mostly didn't matter since obviously I was nowhere near the lose condition that early on. And I could autoresolve the invading demon armies attacking my T3 settlement garrisons, though that might change with later spawns.

The biggest issue for me was 100% battles. I just did not have fun with them at all. The primary culprit was settlement battles. They were just all chores. In my 70 turns I fought 26 battles, not counting autoresolves. One of those was a field battle, because my ally was in range to attack an army I was pursuing and I got to join in. It was ok but we completely outnumbered and outgunned the opponent so combined with the reinforcement timer, all I could really do was send my units towards the battle-lines and basically instantly win once they got there.

Of the remaining 25 battles, 4 were walled settlement sieges. Three of these were boring. I completely outnumbered and outgunned the settlement garrison, but because of towers (on walls and inside) I took probably 60% casualties and ended with Pyrrhic victories, as my Ogres bumbled about running into each-other constantly and loving up pathfinding. Ogres have bonkers casualty replenishment so this would usually only mean a single turn spent sitting around before moving on, but making sure none of my units got wiped out was definitely tedious. The last one had a bit more of a defensive force and was therefore ludicrously hard. The fact that Ogres have no useful artillery for this before T5 makes it tougher - the scrap throwers are fine at killing units but utter garbage vs towers.

Another 4 were defensive settlement battles. Two of those were an enemy 20 stack against a basic settlement garrison, not actually worth fighting but it was early on and I didn't have a feel for how much I could defend against. The other two were kinda fun!

17 of my 26 battles were me attacking minor settlements. Some were easy. Some were hard. Maybe two were any kind of fun. All involved absolute pathfinding shitshows, constant guesswork about whether my units could shoot at the supply towers (often, moving them around to the other side of the tower did the trick!). I was really excited for minor settlement fights for this game - while I didn't play Troy much, I had a fair amount of fun with them in that game. I kinda hate them now. I would hate them less if they were 10% of my battles instead of 80%.

At no point in the campaign was I able to initiate a field battle. I know about the baiting lord + ambush trick, but it feels cheap and given I need armies to defend multiple parts of my empire and I play on VH with no 5k initial buffer, I wasn't able to justify the extra lord + supply lines cost for most of this time either. Also, Greasus has a poo poo ambush success chance in general, and keeps getting followed by agents that I cannot assassinate - I have tried like 10 times with 45 - 60% success chance and never succeeded, didn't have this kinda trouble with it in the last game.

I dunno, the experience just sucked. The last 15 turns I mostly just autoresolved poo poo. I spent 4 turns sieging a city so I could autoresolve it instead of fight it even though it only had the garrison in there, and I kinda realized that is the opposite of what the game should be about. I'll just play Elden Ring and wait for updates and/or IE.

E: This was on VH/Normal, I usually played TWW2 on the same or VH/H. I didn't really have any issues with the campaign part besides finding the Realm of Chaos unengaging, it was suitably challenging and reasonably fun.

Insurrectionist fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Feb 21, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial
Its unintuitive but yeah, tzeench knights are the best frontline troops for them. Forsaken are NOT good frontline, they have 20MD lol. I havent tested, but I would honestly try using more pink horrors as frontline if I didnt have knights. They don't have much armor, but they have 36MD which is on the level of a good midtier defensive unit, and theyll provide more firepower to soften up the enemy when they approach.