Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Rall: Somewhat Less Than Ideal Messenger

Ted Rall posted:

Democrats are facing tough polling numbers going into the 2022 midterm elections, in large part because of inflation. They should probably get someone to say something, maybe Joe Biden, but that doesn’t seem like a viable prospect.

First Dog on the Moon: Remember the time Comrade Albo talked to actual communists!? Of course you don't but we found it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
So just... nobody should ever have bail? Really?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Discendo Vox posted:

Stahler's at least a centrist; I think this is a "politics is divisive rn" comic, at worst.

If he's a centrist, then the neighbours are black.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Vib Rib posted:

Bails? Letting them have loving trials lets these criminals get away with their filth! Just lock 'em up and throw away the key :clint:

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Discendo Vox posted:

Stahler's at least a centrist; I think this is a "politics is divisive rn" comic, at worst.

It's a bad comic, given the state of housing in almost every state in America where people are snatching up housing in bidding wars.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Oh by no means Ann I defending the comic other than to note Stahler’s no chud, so it’s vague message is coming from somewhere on the left.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Curious how these same people will bang on the "innocent until proven guilty" drum in entirely unrelated scenarios, like if say a prominent media mogul and political figure openly admits to committing a litany of crimes and has a massive paper trail, or a nominee for a lifetime appointment at the highest court has to go through a vetting process, but balk at the one scenario where that actually is the law.

Discendo Vox posted:

When the centrist take is "why can't the nazis and the Others just get along," I don't think you can really call it centrism any longer.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Vib Rib posted:

Really. In my country (Norway) we don't have bail. If someone is charged with a crime and the prosecution wants to hold them in custody they have to do it in court. If they can make the case that the suspect is a danger to other, that they will destroy evidence or flee the country they can be held in custody for a period of time. If they prosecution fails to make that case the suspect is set free.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Alhazred posted:

Really. In my country (Norway) we don't have bail. If someone is charged with a crime and the prosecution wants to hold them in custody they have to do it in court. If they can make the case that the suspect is a danger to other, that they will destroy evidence or flee the country they can be held in custody for a period of time. If they prosecution fails to make that case the suspect is set free.

That's the opposite of what Branco is arguing, though. He is more "no one should have bail" as in "no one should be allowed to walk freely before their court date".

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
His position is more nuanced than that. "No one should have bail, unless they themselves can afford the bail."

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
The whole "sinister foreigns only win at the olympics due to super-soldier programs" thing is never not funny to me :allears:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Mr. Squishy posted:

His position is more nuanced than that.

Congratulations, this is the first time anyone in the history of the universe has said this about Branco.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

When the centrist take is "why can't the nazis and the Others just get along," I don't think you can really call it centrism any longer.

It’s not clear that the cartoon is being critical of the speaker.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

It's going to be Dewey Dawner.

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

Just the most useless stalling to come up with any funny idea at all before eventually making GBS threads out a "guess we learned our lesson or maybe not" punchline. Good luck, Stantis!

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

It's like reading Newspaper Spider-man, where the first two panels of every strip are just the last two panels of the previous strip.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Neito posted:

It's like reading Newspaper Spider-man, where the first two panels of every strip are just the last two panels of the previous strip.

Can we nominate an entire storyline for laziest non-Gorrell?
Because I feel like we need to see them all in sequence to really drive home how little Allie is actually drawing.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Mr. Squishy posted:

His position is more nuanced than that. "No one should have bail, unless they themselves can afford the bail."

While Branco is definitely against bail funds, I think it really is "No one should have bail, period." Like, imagine a scenario where a fairly well off black man is arrested and charged with a crime, and has enough money to pay bail himself. Do you really think Branco would be in favor of him getting out on bail? Absolutely not.

The only nuance he could possibly have is "No one should have bail, unless they they themselves can afford the bail and are white."

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Apple Pie Hubbub posted:

Carmen becoming more and more exasperated as Dewey wins the debate by responding to every question with "Do you know what politics is?"

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Apple Pie Hubbub posted:

It's either going to be some rando who wins because the rabbits pay off the Libertarian party leadership to force them through, or it's going to be one of the rabbits in a bad disguise that only Carmen and Winslow can see through.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

DalaranJ posted:

Carmen becoming more and more enamored as Dewey wins the debate by responding to every question with "Do you know what politics is?"

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

the_steve posted:

Can we nominate an entire storyline for laziest non-Gorrell?
Because I feel like we need to see them all in sequence to really drive home how little Allie is actually drawing.

No, this would be the type specimen. Otherwise it would be all Allie, all the time, every time.

Maybe a special sub award, like the Eric Allie Soon-to-be-memorial Tedium Trophy.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Pilchenstein posted:

The whole "sinister foreigns only win at the olympics due to super-soldier programs" thing is never not funny to me :allears:
I don't think that is what Danzinger is saying.

Edit: In case you are unaware of the context, the Russian figure skater tested dirty but controversially was allowed to still compete, and was treated horribly by the coach when she failed because the pressure of the media attention got to be too much for the 15-year-old girl to handle. Also from what I've heard this coach has a history of recruiting very young skaters and pushing them so hard they have to retire at 20.

Russia shouldn't have been there at all. What kind of a punishment for having an official blood-doping scheme is it to be barred from competing, but still be allowed to compete?

Murdstone fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Feb 21, 2022

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Nicola Jennings on Emmanuel Macron’s last-minute diplomatic bid in the Ukraine crisis – The French president has launched a desperate last-minute effort to try to avoid Russia invading Ukraine, amid further US warnings that war is imminent"

Telegraph:

Living with Covid plan: End of self isolation, free testing to be slashed and other key rule changes; ‘Perfect performance’: Team GB finally win first Beijing gold in women’s curling

Independent

Times:

The Queen tests positive for Covid

Evening Standard:

Big Jet TV: livestreaming of planes landing during Storm Eunice goes viral

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Murdstone posted:

Russia shouldn't have been there at all. What kind of a punishment for having an official blood-doping scheme is it to be barred from competing, but still be allowed to compete?

From what I understand, it was a sort of compromise because given what kind of country Russia is, it's possible the girl was forced to take the drugs by her coach. Since it's possible it wasn't her decision to do it, allowing her to compete but not allowing Russia to celebrate it was the best they could come up with.

Again, I only vaguely heard this from somewhere I can't even remember so it's possible that none of what I said is true.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Murdstone posted:

I don't think that is what Danzinger is saying.
Unless the facts of the case include that this girl was somehow unable to afford her own socks and was trained for 24 hours a day, then yeah, he's doing some "the cold war never ended" poo poo :v:

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

:australia:

Pope:

Rowe:

A bunch of AusPol: 'Australia should have the lowest-priced energy in the world' says Atlassian co-founder after AGL rejects $8b takeover bid (ABC) (the bearded billionaire Mike Cannon-Brookes, who says he will keep trying to argue a takeover).
Also Reduced train services resume across Sydney this morning (ABC). This was after yesterday when the NSW government shut down the train system after talks with the union failed (the media mostly falsely reported this as a strike, and the NSW transport minister compared the union to terrorists).

Wilcox:

Lethbridge:

Knight:

Leak, Son of Leak:

Atlassian billionaire Mike Cannon-Brookes, trying to take over AGL and with plans to accelerate phase out coal power.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

It appears Fishman has a problem with... capitalism??

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013

quote:

BLACKFACE HITLER’S WILD RIDE INTO TOTALITARIANISM

The world witnessed a gaudy display of force from Canada’s dictator, Justin Trudeau.

Anonymous police—some mounted on heavy horses—helped Canada’s Prime Minister get his way. Trudeau’s stormtroopers trampled an indigenous grandmother using a mobility walker. Other peaceful protesters were beaten with clubs and tear gassed. The police may have been imported from the UN, we don’t know. Anonymous tow truck drivers with logos blocked out on their vehicles only underlined the fact that government prefers to remain unaccountable for their actions. Government prefers stealth over transparency. Citizens must cough up their papers and identification instantly upon government demand, while government protects their own identities. The truckers were shut down by anonymous forces, not their fellow citizens.

Brute force is the foundation of government even though they pretend to be the voice of the people. The story of a ‘free, western world’ has become a fairy tale. The people are many, but they are forced to do what a comparatively few in government demand. Vote them out? Canada’s election is no doubt as rigged as America’s. Besides, too many are running for political office only because they have been pre-approved by the globalists and the World Economic Forum. Klaus Schwab is calling the shots, not the wimpy, bastard son of Castro. Schwab likes the totalitarian gains he and the oligarchs have made. They want to consolidate their power.

Look for the freedom-loving truckers and their supporters to be methodically arrested and carted off to prison one by one. That’s what happened with the January 6 protestors in Washington D.C. So what do the people do about it? We can stop participating in our own demise. We must be willing to lose our jobs, bank accounts, and creature comforts in order to regain our freedom. An unreasonable and brutal Canadian government wants to inject citizens—by force–with an experimental gene therapy drug and then track them with vaccine passports before those citizens can participate in society. They will never regain freedom with submissiveness. No, that will only make government aggression worse. The globalists will invent new reasons for citizens to be injected. Remember, they want to cull humanity. They want us off ’their’ planet.

If we question the science pushed by the Davos crowd, we will face being silenced, banned, and possibly arrested for spreading ‘misinformation.’ This will get worse before it gets better. The tyranny go ‘round ride will never end until citizens stop it. If people don’t push back against the dictators, the latter will only become more emboldened. Let’s hope the remaining Canadian truckers go on a nationwide strike in order to force their tyrannical Prime Minister to rescind his vile mandate.

Trudeau wore black face in the past. Time to make him red-faced with anger.

— Ben Garrison

Sure I'll just throw out random one-line conspiracy theories with no evidence to back them. Who needs to prove things anymore?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Blackface Hitler is a top tier username

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Trudeau is the son of Castro, and politics are genetic so he’s a powerhungry dictator, just like Castro, who was basically South American Hitler.

However, this is relevant because another power is actually the one calling the shots.

Korthal
May 26, 2011

The biggest argument against making MLK day a holiday was it would combine Lincoln day and Washington day into President's day.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

quote:

Look for the freedom-loving truckers and their supporters to be methodically arrested and carted off to prison one by one. That’s what happened with the January 6 protestors in Washington D.C.

Isn't that a good thing, Ben? Shouldn't those antifa and FBI plants go to prison for their false flag?

Oh wait are we back to "The January 6th protesters were true American patriots" again? It's so hard to keep up.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I thought overzealous and violent cops were good

londonarbuckle
Feb 23, 2017

the_steve posted:

It's either going to be some rando who wins because the rabbits pay off the Libertarian party leadership to force them through, or it's going to be one of the rabbits in a bad disguise that only Carmen and Winslow can see through.

It's just gonna be the Trump skunk. He'll show up[ and call them losers. And that'll be it. Whatever takes the least amount of thought.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Kellies Update: still plugging away at nominations, at about 85%. I will likely extend the nomination period once I get the post out; there's some categories that should exist, but need more entries.

Due to technical limitations, the "most hypocritical combo" category will be a one-off for 2021, and will not count for any prizes.

edit: now up to 90%, we're looking at ~360 entries this year.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Feb 22, 2022

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
That's just what Jambi the Genie gets for making the secret words "Syrup Cops"

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Vib Rib posted:

I thought overzealous and violent cops were good

Only when they're doing it to non-white people.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

"We're looking for someone to kill people, not provide them health services, try applying to a hospital instead!"