Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

GAIA: you picked all the berries? Those were the most important part!! :supaburn:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Cutscene Aloy: oh no a poor fox caught in the blight

Me Aloy: a fox, shoot, shoot, shoot!

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!

Klungar posted:

Pour one out for Lure Call, I guess. Miss you, pal.

Oh good I was wondering if I had just imagined that :rip:

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

On the other hand Aloy has gotten less choosy about which rocks to pick up.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Anyone found a way to stop the stash from repopulating my inventory with garbage potions? I want ALL HEALING ALL THE TIME but since I have some non-healing items in my stash the game is just "oh you must want some of these too!" taking up precious HELTH space

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

Cutscene Aloy: oh no a poor fox caught in the blight

Me Aloy: a fox, shoot, shoot, shoot!

Cutscene Aloy: oh no, a fox I didn't manage to kill before it was caught in the blight.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul

Alhazred posted:

Not all the innards. Like, what am I supposed to do with a pristine fox skull? I can't even make it into a hat.

Not with that attitude you can't.

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug
I would encourage folks to use the custom difficulty mode. I’ve been playing with dialed up robot health but reduced damage taken. Makes it so you do have to exploit weaknesses and traps but don’t get one shot quite so easily.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
What exactly does levels affect? Is there some difference in damage if I hit a level 20 enemy with the same weapon when I'm level 15 vs level 25, or is it just a measure of how much health and skill points you have?

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Hipster Occultist posted:

This is the third trial in the first hunting grounds right, the one with environmental traps?

What I did was this. The timer doesn't actually start until you enter the arena proper, so you can wait until the bots are in a good position beneath a trap, I chose the log trap on the left nearest to the rops leading down. Once a couple chargers were lazing around, I waited for a scavenger to get close, then shot it's sparker with my electric bow from some grass, then as soon as he explodes you shoot the trap supports and it does its thing. I think that I could have gotten them all then, but I missed one and had to get the final scav by shocking him under a falling box trap.

Yes that's the one. The best I've managed is to get two at once so far, exactly the way you described, but then when scrambling to stun a third getting swarmed, because I'm naturally trying to stay in the same place where a trap is. I ended up accidentally killing all the scrappers and having to start again and then I took a break and went to the no man's land.

Man, that setpiece fight that the embassy devolves into is epic, basically this game's version of the proving. I died about ten times to the shield guy before figuring that fight out (blast traps gently caress up his shield in one even on very hard, then acid him up with a pre-nocked triple-shot - you did beeline that, right?? - followed by as many fully-drawn sharpshots as you can before the shield regenerates, repeat, alwaysberollin)

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

ymgve posted:

What exactly does levels affect? Is there some difference in damage if I hit a level 20 enemy with the same weapon when I'm level 15 vs level 25, or is it just a measure of how much health and skill points you have?

Robot levels are fixed as far as I can tell (you can check them out in your notebook) so I think it’s more of a measure of how tough they’ll be relative to where you probably are.

Like I don’t think there’s any scaling at play because you can definitely tackle stuff 4+ levels above you just the same. They’re just tough fights.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
I'm not far into the game but already positive that Boomer is the best NPC.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Robot levels are fixed as far as I can tell (you can check them out in your notebook) so I think it’s more of a measure of how tough they’ll be relative to where you probably are.

Like I don’t think there’s any scaling at play because you can definitely tackle stuff 4+ levels above you just the same. They’re just tough fights.

Yeah, the first Thunderjaw you can find is level 30, and people that have farmed it say that he stays at 30 when they level up past that. Apparently the xp stays fixed at ~4000 per kill on story mode until you hit level 31 at which point you get xp less per kill.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
What are people's go to on farming metal shards in this one? So many things I wanna buy.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

derra posted:

What are people's go to on farming metal shards in this one? So many things I wanna buy.

Sell your ancient treasures if you haven’t. I haven’t bought too much stuff yet but selling rare parts and treasures was the go to in the first game.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
That's all vendored. First game I would farm the grazers on the first hunting ground and sell the blaze if I was hard up for cash.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

ymgve posted:

Anyone found a way to stop the stash from repopulating my inventory with garbage potions? I want ALL HEALING ALL THE TIME but since I have some non-healing items in my stash the game is just "oh you must want some of these too!" taking up precious HELTH space
I just figured this out last night and it sucks because it's not intuitive at all.

Hold down on the dpad like you're going to craft something. Then hit square for "change," and X to "remove." I took everything out and put it back in a more logical order (heals, traps, misc items like call mount by travel pack etc) instead of whatever goddamn order I picked them up in. It was funny bc I've been playing a lot of MHW lately and you kind of need to do the same thing in that game and I was thinking "man, I wish you could rearrange your item bar like in MonHun" and lo and behold, you can!

e: VVV Aloy with Charge Blade or Hunting Horn

SubponticatePoster fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Feb 21, 2022

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Give me Dual Blades for Aloy.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
discovering that every armor doesn't have a unique skin instantly cured me of the need to Buy Them All

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Captain Hygiene posted:

Well maybe I wouldn't have to shoot all the animals if their innards weren't so darn useful :colbert:

Still not sure how I'm making a bag bigger with some pieces of metal and 2 feathers though.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
now that i finally have a plasma-type weapon i'm hoping to get an edge over ravagers, because they've gotten so much meaner since the last game

i'm okay if i have a couple of nearby machines to override but if their attention is trained directly on me then the fight's going to end with about half of aloy painting the floor

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Alhazred posted:

Not all the innards. Like, what am I supposed to do with a pristine fox skull? I can't even make it into a hat.

You can exchange those for purple animal materials with some traders. Either Bulwark or Stonecrest

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables

Sentinel Red posted:

Okay, I went to Sin City first to get the rebreather, which was a just wonderful, wonderful quest, just absolutely beautiful

The Vegas main story quest has been my favorite thing in this game by far and I definitely recommend people pick it to finish first when you get the option to choose your path after finishing The Base. And make sure to find and scan all the datalogs.

The ending has everything I love about post apocalyptic storylines. That juxtaposition between despair and hope, ruin and beauty…just a really great Video Games As Art Moment.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Anyone figured out how to turn Aloy’s commentary off, especially when you’re trying to work your way through a ruin or cauldron? Like I wanna figure out where to go/what to do on my own but half the time she’s commenting “hey I can jump to that ledge over there” before I can figure it out on my own.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Death's Door: Ah, here come the white colonialists. Can't wait to find out they're either clones of the rule elite (or just flat-out them) or their progeny come back to gently caress everything up again. I do love me some anti-capitalism and anti-colonialism in my AAA games.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

SubponticatePoster posted:

I just figured this out last night and it sucks because it's not intuitive at all.

Hold down on the dpad like you're going to craft something. Then hit square for "change," and X to "remove." I took everything out and put it back in a more logical order (heals, traps, misc items like call mount by travel pack etc) instead of whatever goddamn order I picked them up in. It was funny bc I've been playing a lot of MHW lately and you kind of need to do the same thing in that game and I was thinking "man, I wish you could rearrange your item bar like in MonHun" and lo and behold, you can!

e: VVV Aloy with Charge Blade or Hunting Horn

That works for removing items from the wheel, but I mean pressing square to auto-fill when you're in your stash. It will automatically give me at least two stamina potions, even when I've removed them from the wheel.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

In case you aren't doing this already, search around questing areas for those fancy looking caches. I've gotten a few purple outfits and coils just from looting those.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Maybe I'm not playing the right games but the combat in this game with the PS5 controller is incredibly satisfying.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

goblin week posted:

You can exchange those for purple animal materials with some traders. Either Bulwark or Stonecrest

I honestly expected to be able to do more with a pristine skull. Arthur Morgan would've used it as belt buckle or something.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Alhazred posted:

I honestly expected to be able to do more with a pristine skull. Arthur Morgan would've used it as belt buckle or something.

Aloy would beat up Arthur Morgan and steal his lunch money

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Niwrad posted:

the PS5 controller is incredibly satisfying

:hmmyes:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Well I said gently caress it and went fauna hunting and now all my pouches are maxed out. Or are they? The achievement didn't pop up so either I'm missing something or there's an additional late game weapon type.

EDIT: Turns out I was missing the food pouch since I had yet to buy a single foot item. Whoops. And the achievement is for upgrading each pouch at least once, no need to max out something you're not using. doublr whoops.

Also I didn't realize how expensive these upgrades add up so now I'm broke as hell.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Feb 21, 2022

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I like the idea of the food stuff but it's just another thing to select in the already too long quickslot selection. It shouldn't be Monster Hunter levels of long. I think the food stuff would have been better had it just been you get an animation where you chomp down some ridiculously good looking food then you get a super long buff. As it is I bought some basic stew and still haven't used them.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Jimbot posted:

I like the idea of the food stuff but it's just another thing to select in the already too long quickslot selection. It shouldn't be Monster Hunter levels of long. I think the food stuff would have been better had it just been you get an animation where you chomp down some ridiculously good looking food then you get a super long buff. As it is I bought some basic stew and still haven't used them.

Instead of a cat chef you get a robot watcher chef.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Aloy would beat up Arthur Morgan and steal his lunch money

Aloy would try to cook up a cure for tuberculosis and then feel really bad when it didn't work.

Death's Door: https://i.imgur.com/4Avgfre.mp4 I really like how Aloy goes from "loving nailed it:smuggo:" to "oh god, what have I done:ohdear:"

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
I’m a big dummy. Where is auto-loot in the settings?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Instead of a cat chef you get a robot watcher chef.

Yes. Now that you mention this I'm disappointed that it isn't a thing. Such a wasted opportunity, dammit!

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Lumpy posted:

I’m a big dummy. Where is auto-loot in the settings?

set difficulty to "custom"

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Are food boosts even worth dealing with? I finally went back to help out the cook and kick all that off, but I'm also playing at a low enough level that if it's just "10% attack boost" or something I probably won't bother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

ymgve posted:

set difficulty to "custom"

Thanks! What does it do exactly? (I told you I was a dummy)