Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.
Low hanging fruit, but I had two different techs from the same deskside team break escalation process (you -> coworkers -> lead -> escalate) for drive mapping issues this week.

Both of them were trying to map a share using "Share (\\server\) (Letter:)" instead of the UNC path, among other comedies of error.

The first one was trying to map a root level folder in a share already mapped as I: as "Folder (\\server\share) (letter:)" and included bitching about why the Login-GPP wasn't mapping it automatically and why it wasn't in the MapMyDrives tool. It's not a default mapping? Just open I: and open the folder. Why is this hard.

The other tech included 4 screenshots of it failing to map using both "Share (\\server\) (Letter:)" and various other not UNC paths. The closest to correct was just the server name, without the \share\, and the server name was misspelled and missing "\\" at the beginning. "ERVERNAME" in the path box.

I get that everyone has bad days and brain farts, but goddamn.

Screenshots and ticket numbers were passed around our team chat to many facepalm gifs. At least I don't work alone and we can commiserate on dealing with boneheadedness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Thanks Ants posted:

It's the tall enter key vs the short one and moving the backslash and tilde keys around. I struggle to type on a US layout as it turns out I hit enter towards the top.

I had the opposite problem - I apparently hit enter toward the left, and standard US keyboards have a horizontal bar enter. I typed a lot of accidental backslashes, which is oddly what the pound currency symbol remaps to in a US layout.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

That's what I do with the weird narrow European enter keys too.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

MSP dude sent over an invite for an 8:00am call

NO

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
Wading into the tool-chains of devops to fix security vulnerabilities sucks. All the people who set this poo poo up left the company, newer developers actually have no idea how this poo poo works or bothered to learn. Security guys mashing report button have been no help at all.

If we had any authority we would just delete this poo poo and tell the newer devs to do it manually and motivate themselves to automate it.

Wake_N_Bake
Dec 5, 2003

I love to argue by using all caps. I feel it helps keep people from noticing that I have little or nothing to add to any given conversation. I also
Trying to get a guy into his VM one time, and he was admittedly new to the IT field.

Could not get him in over multiple passwords, multiple resets. Simple passwords too, but he was like “wow these are complex!”

I was using the NATO alphabet so “upper bravo lower uniform lower tango upper tango one two three” for ButT123.

He was typing out the entire words. BRAVOuniformtangoTANGO123

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

that's exactly the reason why I do "letter as in word"

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

That's what these are so great for

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/active-directory/authentication/howto-authentication-temporary-access-pass

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Back in my second job, before I even joined SA, we had a couple of helpdesk guys who both told people "use something like your favourite football team" when asking users to set a password.

Later that year we ran l0phtcrack across the entire network for giggles, and the results were... probably unsurprising to anyone who knew the area.

50% of the company supported Everton
40% supported Liverpool
5% supported Tranmere
5% either supported other teams, or had sensible passwords.
1 person supported Manchester United.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

gently caress Adobe.

Half of the HR department just came up to my office. "How do we rotate a PDF?"

It used to be, you click on the rotate button.

But now that has been changed to basically open a pop-up that tells you to buy the full version of Acrobat.

Luckily, the menu still works.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Edge can rotate a PDF, I haven't had a dedicated PDF reader installed for years

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
I also tell people just to open it in edge to rotate. Good to know about the menu thing though.

Adobe is scum.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Thanks Ants posted:

Edge can rotate a PDF, I haven't had a dedicated PDF reader installed for years

gently caress Edge. Besides, all the browser-based PDF engines have bugs and are slow. You might not notice it on your average PDF but when you have blueprints or other crap, weird stuff happens.

Also, you can't open this in Edge even if you want to because of some kind of DRM that the government uses so you have to use Adobe. Pulled my hair out over it last year.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.

ghostinmyshell posted:

Wading into the tool-chains of devops to fix security vulnerabilities sucks. All the people who set this poo poo up left the company, newer developers actually have no idea how this poo poo works or bothered to learn. Security guys mashing report button have been no help at all.

If we had any authority we would just delete this poo poo and tell the newer devs to do it manually and motivate themselves to automate it.

I found out the scanner has admin rights to the machine and is simply detecting that it's running version X and therefore a level 10 event. Security patches do not seem to update the version so the scanner has no idea this hodgepodge of poo poo is actually updated or not.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

"I just made a change" is not a loving worthwhile ticket update. Why are you doing this. You're not even saving any time over writing what you actually did, I can't figure this approach out at all.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Bob Morales posted:

gently caress Adobe.

Half of the HR department just came up to my office. "How do we rotate a PDF?"

It used to be, you click on the rotate button.

But now that has been changed to basically open a pop-up that tells you to buy the full version of Acrobat.

Luckily, the menu still works.

is the intent to rotate for saving or rotate for viewing

those are two totally different operations and iirc editing the PDF was always a paid acrobat feature so :shrug:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Buff Hardback posted:

is the intent to rotate for saving or rotate for viewing

those are two totally different operations and iirc editing the PDF was always a paid acrobat feature so :shrug:

Viewing. I just had them print it in the correct orientation as another pdf

MAGIC

We have a bunch of people with Acrobat Pro and Nitro Pro. Just not these two. Probably our lowest skilled users.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Thanks Ants posted:

"I just made a change" is not a loving worthwhile ticket update. Why are you doing this. You're not even saving any time over writing what you actually did, I can't figure this approach out at all.

Fine, I'll use "fixed"

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

:argh:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Even worse is when some workflow closes a ticket and nobody can figure out why

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

So I create an SFTP account, get the supplier to send me a public key, all good. My contact at the supplier then passes it on to his developer.

Developer contacts me direct with a screenshot of google chrome failing to load sftp.$Company.com and asks me for the password.

FFS

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

our hardware team will often just close a ticket that's done with "resolved"

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Not to be dramatic but mandatory corporate training modules makes me want to set myself aflame. Worst part, by far, of starting a new gig.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Hughmoris posted:

Not to be dramatic but mandatory corporate training modules makes me want to set myself aflame. Worst part, by far, of starting a new gig.

Hey back in like 1998 when I worked at Sears you had to watch like 4 loving hours of DVD's on your first day. At least you got paid.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Walmart and Sam's have you do like 6+ hours depending on your role. Managers probably much more. Never saw anyone get upset for falling asleep during em though lol

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

when I worked at a c-store i slept through the training for filling and handling propane tanks

still didn't freeze anything off or blow anything up

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

One of the best things about working from home is just letting the compliance stuff play without paying attention to it until you need to answer the stupidly easy test questions at the end.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!

The Fool posted:

when I worked at a c-store i slept through the training for filling and handling propane tanks

still didn't freeze anything off or blow anything up

Goddamnit Buckley

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

Lum posted:

Back in my second job, before I even joined SA, we had a couple of helpdesk guys who both told people "use something like your favourite football team" when asking users to set a password.

Later that year we ran l0phtcrack across the entire network for giggles, and the results were... probably unsurprising to anyone who knew the area.

50% of the company supported Everton
40% supported Liverpool
5% supported Tranmere
5% either supported other teams, or had sensible passwords.
1 person supported Manchester United.

Back in the days before SSO and such like, I will never forget the particular bit of software we had when their support guy got me to go into SQL, into the user table to change a variable to fix some issue. It was that time I noticed that our software stored everyone's passwords in plaintext in the db and I couldnt help but be traumatised by the amount of colleagues who had passwords along the lines of "Sexsexsex1" or some kind of variation like that.

It was a long time ago but yikes that was not a good day

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
Christ Al-loving-mighty I'm a loving beginner at this and in Flask, I POST them passwords to a function that 16-bit salts and stores the hash :stonk:

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

bull3964 posted:

One of the best things about working from home is just letting the compliance stuff play without paying attention to it until you need to answer the stupidly easy test questions at the end.
Eventually they're going to start adding QTEs to them.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

wolrah posted:

Eventually they're going to start adding QTEs to them.

I mean if they add cuties to the video they'd definitely get more people to watch it :v:

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Lum posted:

So I create an SFTP account, get the supplier to send me a public key, all good. My contact at the supplier then passes it on to his developer.

Developer contacts me direct with a screenshot of google chrome failing to load sftp.$Company.com and asks me for the password.

FFS

One of our customers is Verizon. Verizon wants to ship us a bunch of data over sftp. Cool.
They say that I should make a box.com account or stand up and sftp server.
No thank you, I say. I'm a sub-1k person company and you're loving Verizon. I'll run a client on my side and talk to your server. Two weeks of me calling their bluff, they admit to having a server.
They ask me to generate the keys, send them my public key, and give me their QA and Prod server addresses. To get the data that they want me to have.
Cool.
I submit that.
In August of 2021.
According to them they're just waiting on a test file from their dev.
I set up this same system for a different child operating company of mine in July 2021, it took about three weeks. It works well, except that every couple months they forget the public key and have me send it to them again.
I'm working with the exact same people, or at least people who respond to the same email addresses and sound the same on voice meetings, on their side.
They do not remember me.
Fuckin Verizon.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
It's only been six months. Have some patience with the phone company's dev team. Getting test files right is hard work! /s

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

The guy that didn't want to give up his Mac, we gave a Dell 2-in-1. He got mad an demanded a Surface Pro. We got him one, sent it to him, and it was delivered last week. Now he claims he never got it.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

Bob Morales posted:

The guy that didn't want to give up his Mac, we gave a Dell 2-in-1. He got mad an demanded a Surface Pro. We got him one, sent it to him, and it was delivered last week. Now he claims he never got it.

this happened two months ago for me, they straightened their story out when I mentioned that I would have to involve the police the following week the package didn't turn up.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
threaten them with a good time, and give them a day to save face

"hey it got delivered this morning, wouldja lookat that, we're good!"

adults act like children sometimes, that's just reality, everybody makes mistakes when they get pissy about their favorite toys

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
and I wasn't making that up, I would legitimately want to cover my rear end with a police report if I needed to write off a couple thousand dollars of computer equipment.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

They know you're not going to get the police/court involved over a laptop.

The plant manager we had quit last month, he said his car was broken into and they stole his phone/laptop etc.

Surre buddy. How convienent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I think if someone was claiming that here (:britain:) the employer would at least want to see some sort of proof you'd reported the break in to the police, it's also a requirement for a lot of insurers to pay out.

You'd hope nobody is at the point where they'd make a false police report to hang onto a £1000 laptop but who knows.